15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Expensify

Start tracking your receipts and manage expenses on the go with Expensify.

Learn more about Expensify

Pros:

Cons:

There is no user support and the lack of reporting tools.

Expensify ratings

4.4
4.0
4.3
4.2

8.1/10

Expensify has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 1,084 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Expensify before?

Filter reviews (1,084)

Tiana
Tiana
Human Resources Business Coordinator in US
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

User Friendly Interface

Comments: Great system to help track employee spending. The credit cards act as debit cards which is good if you’re a company that is trying to not live on credit.

Pros:

Minimal learning curve if your team us any experience with expensing items in a software format. You can fix mistakes really easily and there aren’t a ton of buttons to wade through.

Cons:

Sometimes new employees need to get reloaded to allow them to bill items to customers. That might be the accounting firm that we work with a fault though.

Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

This software is the best in its category.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

We have been using Expensify for a long time and syncing it with different systems, including Workday and Netsuite. Expensify allows us to customize our policies to include custom fields from Netsuite which is a good feature. The approval workflow is straightforward and user-friendly, and the best part is that it doesn't require any training. Approvers can easily review expense reports with receipts attached to expenses. We reviewed other competitors' software and found them either expensive or not up to par. However, Expensify is a true value for money.

Cons:

So far no complaints and it serves the purpose.

Larry
Finance Director in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Terrible Implemention Experience

2.0 last month New

Comments: Terrible implementation experience: Expensify is not taking ownership of an incomplete implementation. Iam writing this poor review out of exasperation with their poor customer support.

Pros:

In evaluating this solution, we liked the demonstrated functionality, relatively low cost, and credit card offering.

Cons:

The implementation experience has been terrible. The approach is not well organized. Early on we had problems "whitelisting" the Expensify ACH codes which we quickly rectified on our end, but it took Expensify nearly 10 days to restore related services. Then for some reason the integration with Xero stopped working in late March and one month later is has not been resolved. The only human we can speak with is our implementation coordinator which is frustrating because this is clearly a technical issue. I have asked on multiple occasions to speak with someone who can solve this issue only to be told that there is no one else I can speak with. Unacceptable.

Matthew
Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Good Tool. Gone Woke

5.0 6 days ago New

Comments: Loved this product until it went woke. I wish they would just process receipts rather than push agendas.

Pros:

We loved this tool. It worked so well for our nonprofit. It integrated well with credit cards and payments.

Cons:

Two things completely turned me off of Expensify. THey started integrating DEI into their marketing. I remember coming to the site and they had splashed all over the screen BLM material. I dont need their progressive ideals of BLM or pride shoved at me. Just process receipts. The second thing that turned me off was that I was no longer able to connect with my primary banks.

Assistant Manager/Assistant in Spain
Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

Expensify my chaos

Comments: Overall it is a great fit for small businesses that use it to scan and save expenses while giving a good reporting tool so you can review your spend. I would recommend it for owner managers or small teams that also have a gestor or just to streamline your administrative accounting or bookkeeping experience. Oh and it integrates with other programs too.

Pros:

Ease of use and ability to finally organise my receipts in time for the gestor. I didn’t have to presort them as they are saved and retrievable digitally by category or date or supplier. I liked that I could just email a bunch of receipts off at the same time to Expensify and they would upload all the receipts later ready for me to check and categorise and of course it remembers categories so you can save on time doing that too.

Cons:

If anything the time to upload a receipt manually could be improved. I wasn’t sure if I had done it correctly or not the first few times I tried and it sort of felt a bit clunky. This was from my iPhone XR though so not sure if it’s a better experience on android.

Construction, 2–10 Employees

Super Easy to Use but Wish Quickbooks Integration Was Better

Comments: Use it to capture all expenses among our team. Works great on business trips. No more receipts stuffed into a suitcase on the way home. Does a good job of importing chart of accounts from Quickbooks. Easy to set rules (i.e. must have receipt for expenses above $25). Helpful having 4 options to add new expense - photo, email to Receipts@Expensify, upload receipt file, manually create. Great digital record capturing photos of all receipts. Nice to only pay per active user per month.

Pros:

This is a great tool to capture your expenses. The interface is super easy to use--just taking a picture of a receipt and letting the tool fill in the necessary information.

Cons:

Haven't been able to get the online version of Quickbooks to integrate with this, so our accountant still manually enters / uploads the expense report info every month

Sanop Marihot
Sanop Marihot
Internet Marketing in Indonesia
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Very easy to use and provides an interesting experience

Comments: We choose paid software so that all our financial activities are encrypted and not just anyone can open them. Apart from this interesting expensify software, our company data is stored safely and can only be used by professionals in our company.

Pros:

During using this software, I learned more and more about how easy it is to manage company finances. Just by taking a photo, all data will be processed automatically. At first, I was very skeptical about buying it, but after I tried being recommended by my friend, I finally decided to buy it. Since then my thinking has changed 180 degrees.

Cons:

The form of reports varies from country to country. Likewise, reporting standards in Indonesia are not the same as those often used in the US. I see the results of the reports made by Expensify are less professional. But no problem, this can be done manually by our team. Besides, it's free.

Jeff
Jeff
Contribution Manager in US
Religious Institutions, 51–200 Employees

Awesome software!

Comments: Overall, it has been very pleasant. The staff reply to email questions quickly and work hard when there are errors.

Pros:

As an approver of expenses, it is easy to reject wrongly submitted lines and tell the staff why. It is easy to approve and reimburse! They work hard to keep all major credit cards connected.

Cons:

While it would be nice, it is hard to connect to every possible credit card and bank. My personal bank credit card does not connect for auto import.

Computer Games, 51–200 Employees

Perfect Tool to track expenses

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Expensify is the right tool if you want a simple yet effective tool to keep a trace of your expenses and receipts. It's very useful for professional and personal use.

Pros:

I've been using Expensify for many years now to keep track of my monthly expenses and get a full and proper report for our accountant. Expensify offers few but essential options, even with the free version. You upload receipts from your cellphone, get them scanned and their information automatically filled within Expensify. The reports are clear and complete. Overall, it does exactly what you would expect from such a tool.

Cons:

Some options are "hidden" and not easy to find in the first place, making the tool acting strangely. For example, last year, at some point, without doing anything on my part, my reports were automatically closed and sent to my manager before they were completed. I had to go and change the settings in a part of the options I've never used/seen before. After that, all was good though.

partnership manager in US
Financial Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Expensify H.I.

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

easy to use and upload receipts for my expenses. reminds me of when to submit my expense report

Cons:

no cons, i enjoy using expensify and it's easy to use interface

Isaac
Operations Manager in US
Executive Office, 11–50 Employees

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

Comments: I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice and you can track the progress and make modifications if it is kicked back to you. The implementation was very smooth and we were able to incorporate everything we needed, including our chart of accounts, into this product. All of our employees loved it and it is especially useful for organizations who either have a lot of people traveling or who have employees in geographically dispersed locations. We had employees living in very remote parts of the world and they were able to capture all of their expenses and submit reports from anywhere as long as they had an internet connection. The product integrates very well with all of the major credit cards so no issue there. I don't think this product will integrate with your accounting package but I don't think you would expect that from a product of this nature or price range. Expensify is hosted on the cloud so no worries about installation and the implementation process went very smoothly for us. Their customer service wasn't spectacular but this product type and cost is such that someone in house should be able to manage everything and you wouldn't likely need to contact them for anything. The product is priced on a PUPM basis and the rate is very reasonable. I highly recommend this product to any company that doesn't already have an expense reporting feature as part of some larger ERM product. You will not be disappointed!!

Pros:

Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Cons:

You will not get a lot of customer support and it doesn't integrate well into other applications. I don't think you would expect this of a product at this price though.

Expensify Response

7 years ago

Thank you for the thorough review, Isaac! Apologies to hear our support is not as fast as you'd like, this is something we're heavily investing our resources on and you should see faster response times soon! In terms of integration, please let us know at [email protected] if you're looking for something in particular. For a full list of our current integrations (including QBO, QBD, Xero, etc), check out https://use.expensify.com/all-integrations/. Have a great day, and thank you again for leaving us a kind review! We're so glad we're making expenses easier for you and your team!

Serguei
Accounting Manager in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Convenient Expense Reimbursement Software

Comments: Overall great employee expense reimbursement system for small/midsize business. Easy to use and implement. Would definitely recommend!

Pros:

I love using Expensify to reimburse our employees. It is super easy for employees to create expense reports. Expensify also has approval workflows which allows employees to submit their expense reports to their managers for review first before submitting to finance for reimbursement. Expensify is also integrated with our accounting system which allows me to sync expense reports without having to manually enter expenses again. The payout process is also super simple and can be done directly through Expensify by connecting your company's bank account.

Cons:

I wish reporting was done easier in Expensify. Creating a report could be tricky (Expensify requires you to use formulas) but overall it is manageable if you learn a few tricks.

Accounting, Self Employed

Great in theory, from a bookkeeping POV

Pros:

When working properly, it easily brings account codes, jobs and copies of receipts into accounting software. It links to various credit cards with the paid version for easy reconciliations. The biggest benefit for my application was having the individual card users coding and providing backup for their transactions with the ability to then very easily reconcile in the account software (I use Xero).

Cons:

The customer service is the worst I've ever encountered, of all companies I've ever worked with in my life. All questions are submitted via chat with a minimum of 2-4 hours between responses. This makes a conversation impossible. There is no help with initial setup or training, which would likely reduce all subsequent problems. Even for an accounting firm who wants to implement the software to a number of clients, there is no personal help. There are constant issues with the credit card links and the sync needs to be manually updated to reconnect. This is not apparent until the user realizes that transactions are missing. From a workflow perspective, these issues should be resolved automatically or a notification received. There are constant changes within the software without forewarning. This makes using this product a constant battle with regularity. It's also not as intuitive as it should be. My clients often tell me the same, that the software just simply doesn't work well. As a small addon to a much larger web of integrated softwares, the amount of issues I had with this software makes it not worth using for my firm. My frustrations with getting it set up properly for my clients was met with indifference by the staff. Ultimately, in a world with many other options, I was forced to go elsewhere.

Mohammed
Tech. Manager and Software Arch in Jordan
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

A robust system for documenting and controlling expenses

Comments: Expensify enables us to document expenses and raise their records to the cloud with ease and smooth audits and approvals within specified dates.

Pros:

The great thing about Expensify is that we are able to monitor, document and control all expenses. Through Expensify, team members got rid of collecting paper receipts and then preparing lists and submitting them to the accounting department for auditing and approval. With Expensify, things have become clearer, as each team member independently will be able to scan his invoices to be raised on his own cloud and enter data from them to his expense page, and then the accounting department will be able to audit and notify him of approval or request other inquiries, and by These quick and accurate procedures ensure that no receipts are lost and that you get the money straight away.

Cons:

Not a lot of unwanted things, and it does not require a lot of effort on the part of the users to be able to track their expenditures properly.

, 51–200 Employees

Ease of use for end users, but not much functionality, features, or reporting for admins

Comments: It allowed our company to switch from manual expense reporting to automated expense reporting. We are now switching to a better expense reporting tool.

Pros:

Anyone that has a basic understanding of technology can just load the app and use it to submit reports.

Cons:

While Expensify is super user friendly for end-users, the admin side of things is severally lacking. There are very few functions and configurations that can be made on the admin side. Also, the direct integration with QuickBooks Online is great and easy to use, but adding accounts in QuickBooks Online sometimes automatically adds accounts to certain expense policies in Expensify, but not all policies. It seems completely random which policies accounts are automatically added to and which ones aren't. Also, the reports you can pull from Expensify for admins is very limited, almost non-existent. I have reviewed lots of other expense reporting tools that provide a lot more for admins. The only customer support I have been able to find is through their website chat. I've waited multiple days for a response to issues I've had. Expensify also changed their pricing this year and they simply aren't competitive with other companies unless you lock into a contract of 1 year or more. Every other company I talked has month-to-month contracts with cheaper pricing than Expensify.

Alanna
Operations in Canada
Mining & Metals, 2–10 Employees

Customer Service is Attrocious

Comments: Terrible

Pros:

I like the smart scan. I like that they had a trial and thats about it.

Cons:

Barely any customer service. Stay away if don't have time or patience to implement with no help. Small companies need something like this with support.

Expensify Response

last year

Hi there! Have you tried chatting with our customer success team via [email protected]? Our response rate is <2 minutes, which is typically faster than most! Please write in to our team if you have any questions or need help - we'd love to support and help!

Richard
General Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Expensify is good for business, but bad for personal use

Comments: My overall experience with Expensify was mind-numbing, but I think that was due to the nature of my job. The actual site and program was not bad, but again, it's tedious for anything other than business purposes.

Pros:

What I liked most about this software, Expensify, is that it allowed for bulk imports and would often suggest categories for certain items once you upload enough receipts and it could find a pattern. In my position as General Manager, I had access to a company card and Expensify is how we kept track of everything before exporting it to our company's accountant.

Cons:

What I liked least about this software, Expensify, is that it often flagged certain receipts for being duplicates or for being incorrect despite that not being the case. Unfortunately, this prevented you from saving the files correctly until the "disputes" were corrected. For a business, this can make sense or be rectified as the totals are all that really matter, but for personal use, keeping track of tiny margins and trends becomes a lot more important and needs to be protected.

Jennifer
Finance & Operations Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Simple and Easy to Use Expense Tracking & Reimbursement Software

Comments: Overall, I'm satisfied. Expensify greatly reduced the time required to process and review staff expenses, both those charged on their own credit cards and corporate credit cards.

Pros:

Easy to set-up and use. Requires minimal user (employee) training. Integrates well with our accounting platform, Xero. Love the corporate card integration function, which allows administrators to track pending translocation and overall management of the credit card account. Cost is fair.

Cons:

Can improve on reporting/analytical capabilities of transactions processed via Expensify. Customer service is almost non-existent, have to rely primarily on community forums to troubleshoot.

President in US
Religious Institutions, 51–200 Employees

Superb cloud expense reporting

Pros:

Expensify has made everything regarding expense reporting easier. Snap photos of receipts. Auto scan them for information. Connect credit card or bank accounts to automatically draw data for expense reports. Submit to multiple approvers. Get immediate responses. And Expensify continues to develop and support the product very well. We have recommended Expensify to many other organizations like ours.

Cons:

Sometimes the connections to financial accounts break. And I'm notified of the fact. I have to notice it myself and wish there were an automated notification.

Blair
Blair
Pastor in Canada
Religious Institutions, 201–500 Employees

Great app for tracking expenses

Comments: Overall, I would highly recommend this app for anyone who needs to keep track of expenses. It simplifies the process and makes keeping track of receipts so easy. I don't pay for the monthly fee because I don't have enough to track, and an option to buy it outright might be nice for someone like me, but if I had a lot to track I can see the low monthly fee be a worthwhile expense.

Pros:

It's simple, easy and keeps me organized. I am not naturally organized (I would just as soon throw a receipt out as try to remember to keep it and then submit it to my office) and so I have to intentionally work at it. This app makes it quick and easy. You take a pic and add some info and it's done. I don't pay the monthly fee because I don't have that much to track, but if you do I would think it's well worth the money. It breaks your expenses down into manageable categories and works offline if needed. If you need help staying organized or just want less paper to keep track of then I would recommend this app.

Cons:

There really isn't anything about this app that I dislike. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Maybe if it integrated with my phone camera so when I take a picture of a receipt it automatically gives me the option to import it into Expensify? Maybe that's a pipe dream...

Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Not for Amex Business card users - run!

Comments: We needed to track our employees expenses. It worked fine for a while. Now, each new Amex business card doesn't integrate (we can't complete the log in process through expensify) so the charges are not coming in. So the time saving tool has become the opposite and is not doing the job we bought it for.

Pros:

We loved it for a while. Even our most tech challenged people liked it's user interface, receipt uploading and reporting process.

Cons:

For many months now, we have been unable to integrate with our most used and new Amex business card accounts. You can not get anyone on the phone so you're stuck with the concierge (text messages) who I have been bugging about this issue every week for months. They just say "we're working on it" and "sorry!" and " thank you for your patience", and, most annoyingly "have you tried manually entering your expenses?" Yes but when there are hundreds of expenses then that's a problem and why we bought this software in the first place. They keep saying they are close to a solution, testing a solution, but I don't trust them anymore. So we are looking elsewhere.

Davidq
Senior Accountant in US

The best solution I have found for the retaining and coding of receipts!

Pros:

This is the best software/app I have used to date to manage employee expenses. As an accountant, there is a constant struggle to get employees to retain and code their receipts; Expensify makes it easy for both! The receipt matching and scanning functionality has really impressed me as well. Take a picture of your receipt, and, most of the time, it will auto-match to the corresponding transaction. Another great feature is that Expensify will generate audit-able receipts for certain small transactions.

Cons:

Expensify's per user pricing can be a large deterrent depending on company size. A bulk pricing option would be much more tantalizing for larger and even mid-size companies.

Kiana
Co-founder & Operations Administrator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Expense reports made easy!

Comments: I'm not kidding when I say I recommend this product to EVERYONE! When I give people nonprofit management advice this is at the top of my list. Great experience with this product and fast and effective customer service!

Pros:

This software is extremely user friendly and makes expense reports a breeze, no more saving receipts on long trips or doing paperwork. I love that it syncs with your card/bank and automatically brings in the expenses and gets smarter as you set categories so the longer you use it the easier expense reports become. I've only used the expense reports side of things so I can't speak to the other services they offer. But 10 out of 10 would recommend this product, also VERY affordable and you can have on your computer, tablet & phone makingit so easy to use!

Cons:

There are times my card/bank becomes unsynced. And it may only be a week at a time. This has happened a handful of times to me in the past 4+ years so not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of. The customer service is always yuck to fix whatever issue though :)

Kelsey
Kelsey
Finance Associate in US
Religious Institutions, 11–50 Employees

Expensify in 2018

Pros:

Expensify has a clean and easy to use interface.

Cons:

We experienced an issue with our credit card (Bank of America) not linking to our account and when we reached out to support (that we can only chat with instead of calling), we were told they were working to resolve the issue. That was over a year ago and we still have to manually enter expenses. Additionally, Expensify has never offered more support than to say they're working on it. They have not discounted the monthly cost despite our request since we're doing their job for them. Unfortunately, the alternative options aren't amazing yet so we haven't pulled our account but at this point, it's just a matter of time.

Finance Manager in US
E-Learning, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Worst Customer Support In the Industry!

Comments: This company invests NOTHING in their support. While it may be a simple system from the employee side, it's a complete mess for administrators. There are hundreds of nuances and settings that you have to dig through and spend dozens of hours reading their incomplete and oversimplified support documentation. All of this could be circumvented with a 5 minute phone call. In fact, if it wasn't for their sales rep helping me set up the initial settings, I might never have used their platform at all. But that was the last time I was able to speak to a human being at their company. The most astounding factor is that they don't have ANY upgraded customer support options even if you have 100s of users and pay them $1000s per month. This company needs to get their shit together. I'm looking into moving over to Abacus or Concur.

Pros:

Employees will find most features relatively straightforward.

Cons:

They need to seriously improve their customer support. It's messaging ONLY and the support staff takes HOURS to respond and when they do, it's completely off the mark. Their support staff is based in Australia and only work SUNDAYS to THURSDAYS U.S. time.