AmberPOS Reviews

by Pacific Amber Technologies

• Overall
    4.1 /5

About AmberPOS

Point of Sale Software and Retail Management Solutions for retailers in Canada and the United States.

Learn more about AmberPOS

Daniel S.
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2012

Comments: We are a small rapidly growing specialty garden store. We have used a few different POS systems since opening, about 6 years ago. All of the systems we worked with in the past had too many functionality issues for us to keep using their software for very long. Since switching to Amber POS almost 2 years ago, our system has become much more streamlined and much easier to use. We have a warehouse that we use for excess product and bulky item storage. Amber POS can accurately track ALL of our inventory in both locations. When we expand to more store locations, we can add an infinite number of additional stores, using all the existing information. No need to retype anything in! All business information is now kept in one place. It's very easy to find any information needed from product information, vendor information, customer information, to all sales history & reports. The staff at Pacific Amber has been a blessing for our business. They are always ready to help with any issues that may come up. They usually answer the phone on the first call, but if I have to leave a message, I get called back quickly. Try that with Quick books and see how you feel endlessly waiting for help that doesn’t come. We had some issues setting up our old accounting program on new computers we bought. The staff at Pacific Amber even helped us install software from another company! I'm not saying that they are supposed to or expected to, but service like that is one of the many reasons that I am extremely happy with their software and support. They care and it shows. They also got our new website up and running! They advised us which shopping cart software to use, and then integrated it to the Point Of Sale. Now we can upload, update, edit, add and remove products from our online store right from the POS window! When we sell an item online, the transaction can be downloaded into the POS without having to retype any information! I'm sure you can see how much time this can save! We can even sell on eBay though our website and not have to retype in ANY information; it all gets downloaded correctly right into the POS. All in all, this is a great system and I am very happy with it and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a solid POS system, from a single store with a small inventory, up to large retail companies with dozens of stores and thousands of products. This software can handle whatever you need it too.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2012
Lisa M.
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"Amber is an update from an old POS system and it now allows me to couple inventory with a web site"

Comments: Would love to be able to have a convenient suggestion box to enter suggestions for improvement - and a newsletter emailed or on program to access letting us know what changes made and what changes you are working on to improve the program.

Pros: After a bit of a learning period since I was not used to working with spreadsheets, I found it easy to work with. After two years I am still finding out features that I find useful. Have also found tech support friendly and helpful. Integration with Big Commerce added additional challenges that Amber seems to be trying to deal with .

Cons: Tech support feedback not 100%. Had sent a few questions that did not get answered. Would really like to have an emailed newsletter announcing what improvements and changes have been made to the program. Found out that I needed to log onto a special site that had that information after being with Amber for a few years. Although POS program seems non geek friendly this information is aimed at the techs.

• Reviewed on 07/11/2017
Penny W.
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2017

"Endless flexibility and functionality. Great service."

Pros: I love that the system is easy to customize and flexible. The Amber staff is always available and willing to help, and have helped me craft the system to work exactly how we need it to work for the unique needs my retail store has. They are able to remote into our computer and help us create new features or troubleshoot problems in real time.

Cons: I would normally call it a con that I have to sometimes leave a voicemail, but honestly, it's faster than going through 20 different prompts before I can reach a live person. When I do leave a message they call back right away. There are no voice prompts. It's either a live person straight away or a quick call back. And the support staff is a small team, so you can easily speak to the same person every time you call, and they know our account when we call, AND they know and understand their product, which is more than I can say for 90% of the technology vendors I normally have to deal with!

• Reviewed on 05/12/2017
Katie C.
Furniture
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2014

"New furniture and accessories store"

Pros: The staff has been very helpful in directing us with how to set up the system for our use. We really like the intuitiveness of the main screen, and the system itself is easy to use once you have had one or two training sessions. The KnowledgeBase is a great tool to have, but it could have better information behind it.

Cons: The interface with credit card processing is much more difficult than it should be. It would be in Amber's clients' best interests if Amber would sell the credit card swiping system that is compatible with the system. I had to spend far too much time chasing details around between my credit card processing group (Chase PaymenTech - not a small unkown) and Amber. This part should be seamless for the customer. Amber is not an inexpensive system (to purchase, as well as the monthly licensing fees), which makes this more annoying to experience. There are far too many options in the Amber online store that lead to dead ends! If you don't sell it, don't have the option available.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2014
Alice F.
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"Point of Sale decision"

Comments: I had too many unknown transactions - as in clients now everyone goes in the system - easier to find transactions if old payment type is not know.

Pros: Fantastic customer service. Has lots of features for the expense.

Cons: Wish I could integrate this with a booking scheduler. I have a client database that we use to sent up courses and customer service. We have to manually transfer payment to that client database.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Lawrence A.
Business Center Manager
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2019

"Helpful Customer Service"

Pros: One thing i admire about AmberPOS is their customer service which is very helpful and friendly. They responded and resolved issues when there are bugs on the system.

Cons: There are occasionally bugs on the system but Amber resolves and fixes the issue right away. I commend them for that!

• Reviewed on 29/01/2019
Sylvia W.
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2015

"Affordable, versatile, easy to use, Microsoft-based, top-notch product"

Pros: It's easy to use, has logical concepts, is user-friendly, and is very affordable compared to other systems. The vendor has been excellent with training and followup questions. We made the right decision going with AmberPOS.

Cons: I would like to have had a downloadable manual of instructions instead of having to go to a website to have questions answered on what steps are needed to carry out various functions.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2015
Dana J.
  • Reviewed on 02/07/2014

"Great product with excellent customer support"

Pros: The product is very versatile and can be customized to meet just about any store's needs. The customer support is very prompt and helpful (and the monthly service fee is very reasonable).

Cons: Their customer support hours of operation do not fully meet our needs. We are on the east coast, and Amber's customer support is based on the west coast, so their customer support is not available to us in the morning.

• Reviewed on 02/07/2014
Lawren R.
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2014

"Wouldn't recommend Amber POS"

Pros: Amber POS is fairly intuitive and easy to learn for the basics.

Cons: There are several major bugs in the software, which the staff refuses to fix, as well as some that took months to get them to fix. This software has cost my clients major admin time working around its problems. We've used this system for two years and are very unhappy with it. Historical data almost never runs correctly, and the techs at Pacific Amber seem to have no concept of how data is used for accounting (i.e. balance sheet accounts which have a point-in-time balance vs. income statement accounts which have a date range).

• Reviewed on 25/09/2014
Emily S.
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2013

Comments: Though we have a few occasional hiccups (mostly in integrating with our online sales) overall Amber is a great system. The tech support team is on the ball, and the program itself is great for multi- or single-store use. It's aesthetically pleasing and intuitive, and the many (customizable) reports make it easy to get the exact sales data needed. We are very pleased we chose Amber and it's definitely improved the way we do business.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2013
Alice F.
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2018

"Saved by bacon, my other POS was failing and team was able to step up to the challenge."

Comments: Great support.

Pros: It makes sense and once you have the time to explore all the options I look forward to using it more. Once my inventory is correct I am looking to keep it up to date. I like the updates.

Cons: Have not found any colour options for the screen. Have a tough time seeing in black and screen all the time. My other POS had some colour on the page - blue and another system I use - DogBizPro has multiple colour options. Need colour.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2018
Chris C.
  • Reviewed on 02/06/2015

"AmberPOS is a first rate point of sale system"

Pros: Met my needs with a customizable CRM for client management and options for customization

Cons: Steep learning curve at the register. This is the least customizable part and the number of options can be confusing

• Reviewed on 02/06/2015
Jan R.
  • Reviewed on 16/09/2014

"AmberPOS review"

Pros: I like the ease of tracking sales and inventory.

Cons: Completing purchase orders was complicated. We were led to believe that it was accessible from remote location.

• Reviewed on 16/09/2014
Nathan B.
Automotive
    1.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2014

"If you are beyond a basic shop, move on!"

Pros: They were quick to refund our money when the product was not a good fit for us.

Cons: It's very limited, and you have no control. They lock down all admin tools and require you to call them for changes. If you do not pay the monthly support fee, it will cost you every time you call.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2014
Bill W.
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2011

Comments: We are a small business that sells fishing and kayaking supplies both locally and online. As our business has grown so have our data maintenance requirements. We were operating the store and online business on independent databases, which created double the work. I looked for a solution that would integrate the two platforms and create one selling database that would solve this redundancy problem. Happily, I found Pacific Amber Technologies and their software program AmberPOS and purchased the system in June 2010. The conversion from my old system went smoothly and we were up and selling on the AmberPOS platform within a couple of weeks. AmberPOS then integrated my POS system with my online store and eliminated the necessity of managing two databases, thus cutting my workload in half. The AmberPOS system was easy for my staff to learn and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies has been great. They have a support staff that is second to none and have completed many custom tasks for me in a timely manner. I would highly recommend this software to anyone looking to change software platforms or starting from scratch. Great Product!

• Reviewed on 25/06/2011
Trevor H.
Store Manager
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2020

"We made a great decision"

Comments: AmberPOS has taken our store from the analogue era to digital in one fast, relatively easy step. It's been a great transition, with excellent help from AmberPOS staff in every stage.

Pros: This software has saved our team time, saved us from headaches, and has brought efficiency to our store beyond any other system that has been tried since we started.

Cons: Although it would be nice to have a little more leeway in customizing some of the terminology within the software (change "Vendor" to "Donor" to fit our business operations, etc), there really isn't any downside to AmberPOS that we've found.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2020
Guillermo S.
Network Engineer
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2018

"Top notch POS System"

Comments: Has a cool training mode, that copies your actual database and you can do tests and play with the features without messing up your actual data.

Pros: Easy to use, can link multi-location stores and keep all the data centralized on a robust SQL server on the main location. The Barcode designer is great to work with, product labels look professional and are fully customizable with your own logo, etc.

Cons: Windows only - not really a con but you can't get to use iPads. Requires a decent machine to run on, specially if you're running only one terminal and you have the SQL server on it.

• Reviewed on 16/07/2018
Abdullah E.
Furniture, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2018

"Great training and demos"

Comments: Overall great value and features are mostly what you need to get you off the ground and even growing.

Pros: Really affordable, especially since they offer multi store features, if you want to expand without expanding your expense.
Somewhat easy to use but their team really are quick to help and explain everything so I didn’t feel abandoned at all.

Cons: I felt the inventory could have been made easier and simpler although to be fair they did eventually help me get it right.

• Reviewed on 06/09/2018
Ramamurthy S.
Senior Systems Specitalist
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2016

"AmberPOS"

Comments: The product had the features. The only drawback was Integration to other systems.

Pros: Point of Sale, Tracking Rental Items

Cons: Integration

• Reviewed on 11/12/2016
Justin P.
  • Reviewed on 09/11/2011

Comments: I run a small business shoe store. The store has been in business for 33 years and coming into 2011 had never had any type of POS/inventory management. I came to SoftwareAdvice.com looking for assistance in locating the perfect retail software for a business that had previously never had as much as a computer. After a couple of months, I was able to narrow my search to Pacific Amber Technologies and their AmberPOS software. Despite being based out of Vancouver and having a 3-hour time difference to me on the east coast, Pacific Amber's customer service was top notch. Since they are a smaller business themselves, they seemed to understand the constraints of time and money and really worked to make sure I was getting everything I needed without spending more than I had to. In the early stages of getting all of the hardware, if they didn't have a product that I needed for a price that worked, they would direct me towards where online I could find it while maximizing my dollars. They assisted me every step of the way, from installation of software, to setup of any hardware, to getting my inventory tracking up and running. When it came time to set up my online store, AmberPOS was once again a huge help. The integration with my physical inventory and my online inventory was synced without much hang-up. As a business that hadn't used any type of inventory tracking previously, or anything digital at all, AmberPOS was relativity simple to teach to my sales staff and owner, all of who had very little computer experience. Most caught on very easily, and I definitely think that AmberPOS's layout and graphics not only make it a nice system to look at everyday, but much more inviting to someone who wouldn't be as comfortable with a system that functioned the same but looked like a spreadsheet. Over the past six months that we have had AmberPOS up and running fully in our store, any time we needed assistance we never had much issue getting in touch with their support team. Usually we could get the issue resolved within 24 hours, and they always checked back in to make sure everything was running smoothly. I cannot recommend Pacific Amber and their AmberPOS software more for a company of any size. The only reason I gave Functionality a 4-star rating is there are still a few minor issues, but whenever those are brought to their attention they are pretty quick to listen and update the software. I'll be sure to use AmberPOS for years to come!

• Reviewed on 09/11/2011
Matthew D.
General Manager
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/08/2020

"Excellent POS option that does not break the wallet"

Comments: From the start, the AmberPOS Team has walked us through setup to some minor issues we have had. The fact that they responded with expedience during a 4th of July weekend speaks volumes! The team support has truly been wonderful! Easy program that can be navigated by younger staff, and flexibility of sales ability work very well. Considering that we are a ticket booth, snack bar, and retail store, this program covers all bases for us!

Pros: Scalability and user friendly features allow this to remain small but give the ability to increase as the business grows.

Cons: Due to our location, internet is a little slow. Although this is not a cloud based POS, it still requires updates that can bog down our internet. This is NOT an issue with the software, it is an in-house issue.

• Reviewed on 03/08/2020
Bookstore Manager
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2018

"Customer support is APPALLING!"

Cons: Random errors. Their "fully integrated credit card processing" isn't. Sales process through credit card payments but not recorded in register. Customer service's reponse: "Just do a physical inventory of your 15,000 items to determine what sold." Half of the month of sales and receiving history disappeared randomly for no known reason. They don't care.

by Pacific Amber Technologies on 22/06/2018

This review was mistakenly left for the wrong POS company. This is not our customer. They may have us mixed up with a Restaurant POS system with a similar name to ours. We don't sell restaurant POS systems. We sell a Retail POS system.

This anonymous review is either fake or left for the wrong POS company. It claims our system doesn't store transactions in the POS database. That is simply not true. We have thousands of customers, some with transactions going back 10+ years.

They must be mistaking our system for a different software. We tried to get Capterra to correct this mistaken and misleading review but they refused even though this was not left by one of our actual customers.

• Reviewed on 27/04/2018
Daniel A.
Director of Retail Operations
Museums & Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2017

"Top Notch Service !"

Comments: For anyone looking for a POS system, you cannot go wrong by choosing Amber.

Pros: Amber is easy to teach to my staff, remarkably easy to use on the administrative side and offers wonderful and personal support. It is an affordable system that I highly recommend to anyone looking to upgrade. From the people to the program, itself, I couldn't be happier and feel more confident that I made the right choice by choosing Amber.

Cons: I operate four separate museum stores and maintain four separate inventories within Amber. My wish is that it could be made easy to toggle between inventories without having to log out of one and into another. I'd love to be able to just log in and be able to maneuver between inventories with a bit more ease. Trust me, I can be a whiner..........and if this is my only complaint........well, Amber is doing okay by me, then.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2017
Rachel S.
    1.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 08/06/2016

"Too clunky and customer service is terrible unless you pay"

Pros: It communicates well between 2 stores. You can set up a way to track frequent buyer cards even though it's clunky.

Cons: Getting things set up is incredibly clunky, and it's nearly impossible to predict what will go wrong. They force you to buy a subscription to their customer service help, so at that point, it adds on to the price. And if you don't, you get absolutely no help getting their software to really work for you. Most of the problems we have had are entirely THEIR fault and they still won't help you without the "customer service" package. a) we keep getting a message that says "duplicate entry or something is wrong" and they won't/can't fix it unless we pay. We can't rearrange the order of the point system items without literally going in one at a time and hitting "up up" until it gets to where you want. This takes HOURS. You can't delete one transaction that you've "held" (or "parked" in their terms) without deleting ALL parked transactions. The frequent buyer program/points system is clunky and hard to manually fix anything.. I guess it's trying to prevent fraud, but... for instance, I'm a pet food store... we do a buy 12 get 1 free program on our bags of dog food. If a person buys 6 bags of one food, and then switches to a different line of foods but the first 6 bags might sort of count (like they buy 15# bags, then buy 30# bags) you can't transfer the points from the first 6 bags at all... there is no way to "force" the free bag and deduct points. If you comp the bag manually, the customer gets one more point, not 6 less points. There is no report that I can find that tells you how many returns you've done in 1 month, or from 1 vendor, or from 1 customer, etc.. no way to track returns at all as far as I can tell. Sales per day of the week is also not found. In order to do my taxes each month, I have to run 2 separate reports... 1 to find service sales (non-taxable) and another to find tax exempt sales (like for government orgs). shall I go on?

by Paul on 12/08/2016

I’m sorry our software didn’t work out for you Rachel. I hope you find something you’re more happy with.

We do not force customers to purchase a subscription to our support and updates program – it is completely optional, but the vast majority of our customers do decide to go with the plan as it’s such a great value for your money. We offer unlimited support and complete software updates for just CAD $29/m which ensures that your software is always up-to-date and any new versions of the software are installed free of charge. The program IS entirely optional as well, and some of our customers decide not to purchase the program and instead just pay for tech-support if they need it.

We also do include up to 6 hours of training, converting data and importing of inventory from an old POS system at no extra charge.

As for our “Try before you buy” program, we have a full 90 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee for anyone who purchases our software licenses, so if for any reason they are not 100% completely satisfied with our software, they can receive a full refund no questions asked.

• Reviewed on 08/06/2016
Heather B.
CFO
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2016

"two way radio shop finally found rental software to manage serial numb"

Pros: We are a specialized radio shop and require that our products be tracked by serial numbers. While quickbooks and microsoft can manage this - you cannot search either of their pos systems by serial numbers. Amber is the first piece of software I have found in years that manages serial numbers AND will manage rental radios as well.

Cons: Having to log in and out continually is time consuming. Logging in to the inventory function then in to pos sales function - It would be nicer if you logged in once and could move throughout the program on the same log in.
You cannot edit an invoice once it is made - you have to void and re-issue with a different invoice number.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2016