Tableau Reviews

4.5 (2,030) Write a Review!

About Tableau

Tableau helps people and organizations become more data-driven as the trusted leader in analytics. Learn More!

Learn more about Tableau

Pros:

Cons:

The Error messaging is ambiguous sometimes. There is also limited crosstabs which I don't like.

Tableau ratings

4.1
4.2
4.5
4.2

8.4/10

Tableau has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 2,030 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Tableau before?

Filter reviews (2,030)

Rishabh
Rishabh
Senior Marketing Executive in India

Nice data visualization platform

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Data visualization and metrics tracking are best in the market

Cons:

Usability is a bit tough for new users, user onboarding can be improved

Ajumon
Ajumon
Data Analyst in Ireland

Best tool to visualise the data.

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: overall, its very good software. we can use this software instead of power point for presentation. here, the presentations are available with responsive graphs and tabular columns.

Pros:

Tableau is very useful software for data analysts. it is very easy to create Graphical and tabular visualisations using this software. the dashboard is vey responsive and we can easly understand about the dataset

Cons:

initially, the interfaces are little bit tough to understand. some times, the geographical datas did not detect properly.

Jamie
Technical Project Manager in Canada

Tableau Review

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: We only have one license because of the cost. This means that only one user can edit reports, etc. This makes it very difficult as the user who runs the daily report isn't necessarily the user who we would want to create new reports or edit existing ones. More than one license is too expensive and working with a single license is annoying.

Pros:

We use it mostly to create a daily report. Once it is setup, modifying the dated is simple enough to produce the same report daily.

Cons:

It is very slow when trying to modify an existing report to add something new. Takes many minutes to load after each additional join. Takes a very long time to create new reports. Also, I would like to see the SQL that is being run in an easier way (currently can edit the log files and find it, but very annoying and difficult to find the queries in a text editor)

Julia
Supply Chain Analyst in Italy
Food & Beverages, 10,000+ Employees

Great BI/Visualization tool

Comments: It has a lot of features whereas some smaller types of products have very limited functionalities. Some options though have a much easier way of sharing/introducing new users, while for Tableau some extra configuration is required.

Pros:

The best feature is the data visualization aspect of it; the tool can pretty much do and extract whatever analysis needed from the database.

Cons:

Tableau is a tool that needs a great technical background for working on - without some extensive training there could not be multiple users in the organization. The level of investment is as any other data visualization tools, so depending on how much the tool will be used and how many users the company has, it might be a big financial investment.

DSM in US
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Data Heaven

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Tableau makes it very simple to gather and report out the data you want. You are able to set up filters for different employee tiers such as executive, senior manager, managers and supervisor views. Tableau gives you full ability to control the data and reporting you are looking for.

Cons:

It takes significant training to set up users and train them to feel comfortable in setting up the tableau reports

Anna
Anna
Business Analyst in Finland
Banking, 10,000+ Employees

Tableu for powerful data visualization.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: We use Tableu extensively to collect and curate insights from multiple data sources. As a result of the insights that we generate using Tableu, we are better positioned to make day to day business decisions.

Pros:

Tableu provides unparalleled data visualization capabilities. One , that I cannot compare with any other data visualization software that I have used. The most outstanding part of Tableu's data visualization capabilities, is how it enables me to convert unstructured statistics into logical data , which we then use to create functional and interactive , shareable dashboards.

Cons:

Tableu's interface and functionalities are not beginner friendly. Therefore, an intending user need have experience using other data visualization and business analytics software , to take complete advantage of the possibilities on offer, with Tableu.

Associate Consultant in US
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees

Intuitive Basics, Lots of Potential

Comments: Tableau is my favorite data visualization tool. I find it more intuitive than PowerBI and similar competitors. The price points need to be considered though.

Pros:

There are so many options for customization and adding flare to your metrics. The visualizations provide a ton of options that can be extremely informative. I love using Tableau for map based data visualizations. It presents very clean cut and creating visuals is an easy skill to learn for non-tech users.

Cons:

Aggregating data and troubleshooting can be tricky. There is not a lot of visibility into how the numbers aggregate (ex: showing the work) so it requires a lot of attention to detail.

Shahid
Shahid
ICT Manager in Australia
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Tableau Certifications

5.0 last month New

Comments: I want to give feedback particularly about their certification Exam. The two good certifications DA and server are good but valid only for 2 years after you have to give the exam again which is not a appropriate way may be they can ask for certain quantity of PDU's to renew the certification but not to Re Exam and also their certification EXAM looks like for making money as very rare somebody can pass in 1st or 2nd attempt even after giving correct answers...

Pros:

Visualizations.

Cons:

Data connectivity thru API.

Deepu
Deepu
Teacher in Maldives
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Best tool for your analytics purposes.

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The user interface is simple and dynamic.Integrating with tableau prep builder will give more functionality to visualize the data.The drag-and-drop functionality is an advantage for all users with or without more background knowledge about data analytics.Sharing and collaboration of our work are simple.

Cons:

while dealing with some data from databases included in our project we need a basic knowledge of coding.handling high-volume data make the system slow, and another app crash.

Anand
Anand
Program Manager in India
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Best app for reporting and dashboard management!

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Best application for managing to report and getting all the data under a single roof!

Cons:

Difficult setting up the application in the initial stage. Need a tech guy to set up but once set up is done very easy to work!

Andres
Project manager in Mexico
Food Production, 10,000+ Employees

A very intuitive business intelligence tool

Comments: I started using it while I was making my MBA and I was amazed at the easy of use and the possibility to make chart in a very powerful way beyond excel. Later on, when I was asked to do some complex representation of many parameters, Tableau has been the best and easiest option, beyond other 3 options I have tried from major sellers

Pros:

- Very intuitive way o assemble data, no need for programming or special commands - Easily change data from numeric to alphanumeric - The most common and useful charts are available - Easy to breakdown data into several clusters - I once plotted 6 parameters in a 2 dimensional chart: X, Y, bubble size, color, name, icon - You can build special read-only docs with the functionality to be read by Tableu Reader (as in acrobat reader) - You can customize label, axis, trend and references lines

Cons:

- Eventually some very specific charts are not there as chord, tornado, tree maps, nodes, gauges, alluvial diagram, dendograms - Even with all the clustering, it lacks statistical analysis as Anova, hypothesis test between two set of data, normal probability plot

Sergio
sales officer in Trinidad & Tobago
Insurance, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for dashboards, but training is required

Comments: I generally use tableau to show sales data on dashboards to executives. Overall experience is great now that I have enough skill to operate and manipulate the data to generate what I want.

Pros:

I like that you can merge different data sources to generate new views of data. for example, overlay a census report above your sales data and have a demographic profile of sales for the country. Also the hundred different graphs and charts to choose from. this scores me high points with the executives when I show them a fancy graphic in meetings.

Cons:

We had some trouble with tableau speaking to our servers and applications which took longer that we wanted before we could start using live data to run reports. You must clean your data before you upload to tableau. the data scrubbing system on tableau needs work. This makes it difficult when using live data. I usually just use and extract, clean and upload.

Demand Generation Marketing Manager in US
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees

Finally, Reporting Made Easy!

Comments: Overall, I am very glad to be using Tableau for reporting. It really helps my team and I see and understand the reports easily so that we can focus on analyzing. The automatic updates and the ability to turn certain filters on and off have been a big game changer for us. If you're looking for a better way to visualize your data, I recommend looking into Tableau.

Pros:

Tableau seamlessly integrates with Salesforce and allows us to create beautiful reports and dashboards. Prior to this, we relied on Salesforce for all reporting and we found it pretty limiting or difficult to set-up. With Tableau, it's been very easy to see all of our reports in one place. I love that you can toggle on certain filters too to change the dashboards easily rather than having to edit the whole thing. We also have ours set to auto refresh daily, which saves us time. I always found that refreshing my reports or dashboards on Salesforce took some time, but with Tableau this process has been sped up.

Cons:

I have yet to encounter any difficulties with this software. The process has been pretty smooth so far.

Anthony
Senior Analyst in US
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees

Tableau- Comprehensive Business Software with Advanced Reporting and Analysis Tools

Comments: Tableau has been a great asset for analyzing various reports and data sets. As a data analyst, I found it to be an invaluable tool for keeping my critical reports organized and easily accessible. I highly recommend Tableau as a business platform for both report designers and users as it provides unmatched flexibility in developing and using data sets in ways that will meet your complex business requirements.

Pros:

Expansive functionality that allows the user to both manipulate and export data in a wide variety of formats. Export as an image, excel workbook, PDF file, Powerpoint or more. Multiple custom filter options that allow you to sort to the data that is most important to your needs. Easy to navigate through reports and convenient features such as adding favorites that will show up on your dashboard. Clean and professional interface that helps with organization of projects. Sharing reports within your organization is simple and there are restriction features which will allow you to determine who has access to the data sets as you see fit. Software gives information on when data was last refreshed, if the report is in real-time, or when the data is scheduled to refresh again.

Cons:

Inactivity will cause you to have to refresh the page and remove any applied filters which will require you to wait again for the filtered data to load. This can be a little frustrating especially when pulling very large data sets that take a long time to load before you can pull them and then forgetting to export the data before the page refreshes. However, this is a rare occurrence as the refresh time is pretty generous, at least a couple of hours in my experience. Nevertheless, something to note for improvement in future versions.

Shane
Paid Media Manager in South Africa
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Tableau Recommendation

Comments: Tableau allows complex data to be simplified by visualizing it. We can take a complicated digital marketing budget daily task and implement it via Tableau user dashboards etc. This will then open possibilities to automating specific processes that are a part of the whole task. Another point in my experience - we can totally use Tableau to create a dashboard that allows non-technical stakeholders to understand technical data via dashboards.

Pros:

- Amazing data visualization capabilities - Tableau can comfortably handle large amounts of data. A million rows of data can be visualized without affecting the overall performance of the dashboard - Dashboards can be built interactively using the drag & drop function - It runs effectively and efficiently across different devices & -

Cons:

- There seems to be no schedule or automatic refresh functionality - There is no custom visual import option available - Scaling may cause potential high costs if the organization is huge

Griffin
Senior Strategic Planning Analyst in US
Hospitality, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Tableau Rocks!

Comments: Overall, Tableau is a fantastic program for getting automated reports created, published, and off your plate! The visuals are amazing and the subscriptions and alert system are my absolute favorite. The software has its quirks but I've yet to have a problem I couldn't logically program my way around with a little time spent on web forums. Amazing software, very useful, exciting to use!

Pros:

I love Tableau because, to me, there is almost nothing else out there that does data visualization so quickly and so effectively. I love that you can import almost any kind of data source (I only use SQL or Excel as sources, but there are hundreds of other options). I love that you can then add your own calculated fields, group data into custom buckets, and create parameters which the user can input on the published workbook. I love that you can visualize the data so quickly and in so many ways (with color and shape/size as further attributes). It's like a pivot chart in Excel but so much more agile to use! Finally, I love that you can then build dashboards with these individual reports/worksheets that you create, publish them onto the web, and essentially "set it and forget it," thereby providing your end users with future reporting that is automatic and requires no further work on your end! The real beauty is the creation of alerts and subscriptions, which can email users on a schedule or depending on certain conditions. That's when life really gets exciting--it's like having a full-time robot managing your processes!

Cons:

I definitely wish Tableau could write back to a database. That would be amazing. I've heard it's in the works, but for now, it's still just on my wish list. I dislike various aspects about Tableau that can make it quite tricky to use. When you publish a data source, you should really publish it first before creating any calculated fields, groups, or parameters. Otherwise, it becomes much more difficult to edit these fields later as you have to re-download the published data source to make your edits to those fields, and then republish your data source, which results in my having to ask IT to re-input the server refresh password to get the data to refresh on a schedule again. This is a tremendous headache. So it's best to create and save new fields at the workbook level, not the data source level. There are also a great many bugs I still run into with Tableau from time to time. Strange behaviors that show me it was created by a human being, as all software is. There is usually a way to figure out a workaround but you have to get creative. Tableau is quirky, for sure. Some actions in the local program work great but don't necessarily translate to the web form. For example, if you create a calculated field that depends on data from two different sources, that works great locally, but it doesn't work well once you publish those data sources to the Tableau Server, because, for some reason, it does not allow the calculation to draw from the separately published data.

Raghavendar
Sr. BI Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

On the fly BI tool with rich visualizations and Dashboard features

Comments: We used Tableau for Visualization BI apart from having Business Objects for reporting. We have created a story for a given subject with all the related information to present to the user. It gives a quick glance on what is happening on the sales of drug for a pharma company that I worked. Migration from non-prod to prod is very easy (unlike other BI tools). Cost of the project reduces a lot with Tableau for BI projects

Pros:

Tableau has changed the BI world a lot. It has brought in a software, using with business user can create dashboard & reports on the fly and can check what is there inside. It allows the user to read through the data and derive the insights without much technical analysis. First it can connect to any database (I know about 44 database it connects) and you can set the data, slice the data needed for current analysis and then you can do quick reporting. It provide multiple features, like different charts, graphs and tables and mathematical and statistical functions for analysis. Once you have create multiple visuals you can put them onto one dashboard or multiple dashboards into a story and present the same to business

Cons:

Even though it has rich features but it can support the Enterprise BI needs like business object or Cognos does. It does not provide all the feature for E L T (extraction, load and transform) which requires complex transactions. As data gets huge the graphs and charts become unreadable. also, this software is more useful to the business user for personal purpose than company wide reporting etc. The administration part of it needs a lot.

Software Engineer in India
Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Express you data in real time and powerful Tableau dashboards

Comments: We use Tableau to create all the reports/ dashboards for the senior management in our organisation. It includes daily/ weekly/ monthly reports. And since every report is an interactive report, senior leadership can find answers to their questions by exploring through the reports. We struggled in making the first versions of the reports but later on, we just need to use those templates to create the reports. Therefore, in the start it can become a little overwhelming, but once ready with the template, you'll find it very useful for your reporting procedures.

Pros:

1. Tableau is one of the widely accepted software. It is being used by every 8/10 data-driven companies for managing and representing large amounts of data. 2. Ready to use tools which can produce Senior Leadership level reports/ dashboards. 3. Supports channels for real-time feeding data directly into the dashboards which removes the requirement of manual creating of reports. 4. Capable of producing interactive reports which are highly liked and appreciated by Senior Leaders of any organisation. 5. Supports multiple export methods - Tableau specific dashboards, Generic Dashboards, PDFs, Spreadsheets and even PowerPoint presentations. So this gives the user flexibility to share the reports/ dashboard in whatever form they would like to.

Cons:

1. Starting to produce reports for Senior Management via Tableau would take quite an amount of effort in the start. You need to learn and then setup a lot of things in the start, but once done, you can use those blueprints for all the future reports. 2. A number of formulas are supported in Tableau, but you need to have a good grasp of how to use those and input the correct parameters, else Dashboards will show data which is not correct in nature. 3. The user interface is not that user-friendly, and for a new user, it can become overwhelming at times. The feature set is powerful, but since the usage is complex, it becomes challenging for the users to find correct options and use them correctly.

Software Engineer II - Senior Big Data Developer in Serbia
Consumer Services, 10,000+ Employees

Great software for data visualisation, not so great on data manipulation side

Comments: Really satisfied with Tableau, performed some great stuff over these 2 years of using it. Created over 100 workbooks with huge data sets, also created some extensions and never had a bad feeling about Tableau.

Pros:

It's pretty easy to use Tableau, it's really intuitive, colourful and self explanatory. The overall design of this software comes in hand with charts and pretty neat visualisation tools. The charts are really user-friendly and have some default values that are subject to formatting, painting, resizing, etc. to fit your needs. Has some great built in functions on Server that allow users to pull the raw data directly or in some form that they need the report. Subscription option on server is a great feature that allows you to get daily/weekly or monthly reports on your email address. Also data source feature of this software is a fantastic part of this tool, as you'll able to connect almost anything on the market, from SQL queries and excel files on OneDrive to Tables on Azure or lists on SharePoint.

Cons:

Performance is a little bit tricky, as in any other software. When you use big chunks of data, it can cause some troubles in speed and charts loading. If you add some joins, blends or multiple data source dashboards, and you have data sets of multiple million rows, that will cause some headaches, but just until you learn to manipulate the data and prepare the data for your charts.

Rhea
Rhea
Student in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best Data Visualization Tool

Comments: Tableau by far is the best visualization tool I have worked with and there is no comparison with other tools. I have never felt that Tableau lacked anything and have discovered things I wouldn't normally do with the data if not for its Tableau functionality. This has helped me create robust dashboards and stories with a lot of unstructured and confusing data. I have been using Tableau for more than 2 years now and never get tired of its interesting interface and ease of use and the best part is that the developers of the software keep updating it to new versions with new functionalities and features.

Pros:

I love each and everything about working with Tableau . It is by far the best tool for visualization and none of the other tools is a match for its versatile uses. I like the ease of use and step by step guidelines. What I like most about Tableau is its integration with a vast number of Softwares, platforms, and databases which I do not think are offered by a lot of other visualization Softwares. Tableaus ability to handle customized calculated fields, create stories and dashboards and animations are some of its strongest points that make it a market competitor in Viz

Cons:

There are a lot of features on one single interface as Tableau wants to maximize the user experience. But because there is so much on the one single interface that tableau has, a lot of features go unnoticed and unused. Also since there are so many features and functionalities, it sometimes is difficult to locate a particular functionality. Being an avid user, I have noticed that sometimes, arranging pills in a particular order on rows and columns, changes and undoes the entire visualization to a backtracked point which undoes important steps at times and leads to rework.

Santosh
Software Engineer in US
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Excellent Visualization Tool - Tableau

Comments: - The overall experience with Tableau is excellent as this tool is used for visualization, reporting and intelligence purposes for the sales rep to analyze the accounts and leads. We are extremely happy with the application and its capabilities that are available OOB to integrate with other applications to perform a end-to-end data flow.

Pros:

- The most critical feature in Tableau that we use on daily cadence is visualization of leads and sales pipeline - The integrations we have with Datawarehouse to Tableau and to Salesforce is most critical as the data flow will be continuously flowing through the systems for better visibility - We integrate Tableau dashboards inside Salesforce for users to quickly view and get the visualization for intelligence and reporting purposes.

Cons:

- The pricing for Tableau can be less when compared to other alternate solutions in the market - There could be more OOB integrations provided in Tableau to avoid overhead for the customers to implement them in-house based on business requirements - The support can be more responsive for critical issues at all times

Kristin
Kristin
Business Systems Manager in US
Farming, 201-500 Employees

Great Features, Integrations but steep learning curve

Comments: I've been using Tableau for years. When I started at a new company, I knew I wanted to implement Tableau at my new organization. Tableau has so many capabilities and presents data and visualizations clearly with a friendly end-user interface.

Pros:

The Cloud version is great and allows for easier management of updates! Community Resources are abundant and help solve most questions. Visualization capabilities are abundant.

Cons:

Tableau focuses on Visualizations and comes up short in Data Reporting for users who also need Excel type views. Functions and calculations are not easy to learn or understand and Tableau does not handle certain scenarios well. Support from the actual Tableau team is minimal - but the community comes to the rescue. Subscriptions are PRICEY!

Mark
CIO in US
Education Management, 201-500 Employees

Easy to use and maintian data visualization.

Comments: Excellent overall - prior to implementing tableau most of our enrollment data was tracked in exports to Excel or csv files. Today we provide our board level reports in real time, via dashboard, to our board members directly. No back end work, no data manipulation - we just provide them a link and they and see and play with the data as they see fit.

Pros:

Tableau is easy to use, easy to learn, and is an immensely powerful visualization tool. On a single dashboard our student services team can monitor anything from enrollment to advising to course loads in particular classrooms. There is a curve to set it up, but once you navigate the curve and get your data sets in place the software is very much fire and forget. Modifying reports or dashboards is very simple.

Cons:

I'd love for there to be a lower cost enterprise license or a way for us to disperse dashboards to end users who only need to see but not manipulate the data. We hesitate to host these on a page internally or externally due to data protection requirements at the federal and state levels.

Mahesh
Lead Analyst in US
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Helps in Constructing complex analytical dashboards with different visualisation methods

Comments: With tableau There is no limit to the depth and complexity with which we can analyses the data, i meant to say it is so flexible, with good expertises we can build any type of dashboard

Pros:

Tableau is a great tool for constructing complex analytical dashboards, any level of complexity is possible in this tool, it can read input data from many sources, starting from plain file systems such as XL, CSV.. to complex databases such as snowflake, mysql.. We can join or write custom queries to build the source data, to construct dashboard we go with dimension-metrics approach, hear we can write exuberant number of calculations and computations to create a calculated fields, and that in-turn can be used for dashboard creation, the basic module is a worksheet and multiple worksheet can be put to gather to form a Dashboard, here we can add any kind of advanced interactive filters for the dashboard which will filter the source data , we construct these on a desktop application and we have to push the to the server to host this dashboard, the server tracks of the number of views , access control, refresh extract scheduling etc..

Cons:

When we develop a complex & heavy dashboard with extract data enabled, then it takes lot of time to load on the tableau desktop, to pull it from the server some times it never opens, have to retry many times and to push from the desktop to server also takes time, i think it pushes the local extracted datas along with the tableau files

AVP, Senior Financial Analyst in US
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Visualize your data with Tableau

Comments: Truth be told, our company was only given a trial period for Tableau so I did not have an opportunity to fully explore the software as much as I would have liked. However, during the duration of the trial, I was able to quickly build some useful analytics. An example was an interactive map of the United States which allowed me to show location based data along with sales information for the line of business I support. The map displayed color coded regional information which could be easily drilled down to mortgage branch locations with hover boxes showing production data. Although the trial was for evaluation purposes for the time being, in the short amount of time I had to use the software, I could tell that Tableau would certainly be a viable application to significantly improve and streamline the way our department does reporting.

Pros:

Tableau makes creating visually stunning dashboards and info-graphics relatively easy. You start by connecting to a data source (SQL database, Excel flat file, etc.) and then using various tools to present your information and analytics in a graphical way that's easy for your audience to understand. It supports a great deal of data input formats and offers a lot of flexibility in how to analyze and display information. Plus, the visualizations you create can be static for delivery via a rendered format like PDF or PowerPoint or published on the web for an interactive experience. You can present information at a high level and let your report audience drill into to the details.

Cons:

There is a bit of a learning curve. I am a fairly good self-learner and when I first start using new software. I like to tinker and experiment before diving into documentation and manuals. Tableau is not difficult by any means, but some of the tasks you want to accomplish are not going to be obvious in terms of how they function. For example, I struggled at first with figuring out how to add subtotals to some data I had brought in. Of course I was able to readily do so once I researched via help files but that's the sort of thing I would have thought to be more intuitive and easy to figure out on my own first.