15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Tableau

Tableau is the world’s leading AI-powered analytics and business intelligence platform. Learn More!

Learn more about Tableau

Pros:

Cons:

The Error messaging is ambiguous sometimes. There is also limited crosstabs which I don't like.

Tableau ratings

4.1
4.2
4.5
4.2

8.4/10

Tableau has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 2,255 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Tableau before?

Filter reviews (2,255)

Nikola
Nikola
Research Analytics Specialist in Poland
Consumer Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great for maps, visualizations and dashboarding

5.0 last month New

Comments: I really love using it for maps and interactive dashboards but I prefer to prepare my data in another software (Excel or Alteryx) before using it in Tableau.

Pros:

I love its map functionalities - it's so simple to create a detailed map of locations of company X in country Y or locations of various companies in country Y on a heatmap with population density. You can divide your map by different categories, use different colours for different categories and it just has so many possibilities that it's really fun to use.

Cons:

Connecting different data sources can be a little frustrating - you need to be careful with your file extensions and always double-check your data types.

Caroline
Caroline
Game Developer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

User-friendly dashboard/report Tool

Comments: Tableau is amazing software that has greatly aided our data analysis efforts. Tableau meets all of our needs for data analysis and dashboard creation. The nicest element is that direct use of ad hoc data needs is possible, with no dependencies.

Pros:

One of the most useful features of Tableau is the flexibility with which its dashboards may be filtered. Information that is simple to understand, demonstrate, and infer. Any group may quickly and simply extract useful data thanks to a drag-and-drop interface.

Cons:

Data syncing problems can cause the dashboards to malfunction. Notifications about impending outages would be greatly appreciated. however, that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Henrietta
Business Analyst in Canada
Telecommunications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Tableau for data analysis, data visualization

5.0 last month New

Comments: Amazing, seamless visualizations that can be created easily

Pros:

Tableau is one of the best data visualization tools out in the market, it allows you to produce highly customizable, appealing visualizations and dashboards. I have used plenty of data visualization tools, but Tableau takes the cake.

Cons:

Nothing I can think of, Tableau is a great tool, very easy to use and share with teams

Jamie
Technical Project Manager in Canada
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Tableau Review

Comments: We only have one license because of the cost. This means that only one user can edit reports, etc. This makes it very difficult as the user who runs the daily report isn't necessarily the user who we would want to create new reports or edit existing ones. More than one license is too expensive and working with a single license is annoying.

Pros:

We use it mostly to create a daily report. Once it is setup, modifying the dated is simple enough to produce the same report daily.

Cons:

It is very slow when trying to modify an existing report to add something new. Takes many minutes to load after each additional join. Takes a very long time to create new reports. Also, I would like to see the SQL that is being run in an easier way (currently can edit the log files and find it, but very annoying and difficult to find the queries in a text editor)

Sara
Sr Development Mgr in US
Museums & Institutions, 11–50 Employees

I can see our status on multiple fronts so clearly!!

Comments: Love it's capabilities. Wish it was easier for me to manipulate. I have to rely on a couple team members who are way more experienced in it than I am to create anything new.

Pros:

Great visualization capabilities helps me see how I am doing compared to this year's goals on multiple objectives and how we are doing year over year...without having to manipulate the raw data on my own. Being able to have Tableau refresh the data source with the most recent info each time I open the dashboard is so important!

Cons:

Takes awhile and a lot of practice to understand how to set up the worksheets so they answer the questions you are looking to answer. Dashboards are more so.

Kayla
CRM Marketing Specialist in US
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Tableau is a great data analysis tool

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Tableau is easy to use, and makes data easy to compare year to year with charts. It takes so much of the manual work away! Being able to see figures for a specific area we recruit in and compare those figures year to year allows us to make more strategic decisions for travel, budget for mailers to those areas and help with overall decision making in next years recruitment cycle.

Cons:

It was hard to use at first, but then after using it for some time it's easy!

Jérôme
Data analyst in France
Biotechnology, Self Employed

On the top BI tools

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Tableau is a very good tool to taylor with ease data viz with many choices

Cons:

The tool is a bit expensive and for some case complicated to connect to data stream

Roi
EVP Product in Israel
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Tableau is working good

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The connectivity issues were quick and easy

Cons:

The UI is horrible you need to fix it asap

Rohit
Financial analyst in India
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Tableu user experience

4.0 last month New

Comments: Very good , and very fun to use , when you get used to it will have fun

Pros:

Data visualisation, and data interpretation part is really good and it is very user friendly.

Cons:

A little bit confusing at first, but when you get used to it you will enjoy it

Brian
Sr Project Engineer in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 201–500 Employees

Tableau - Great for Driving change within an organization

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Ease of Use and ability to go from data to visuals within minutes

Cons:

lack of statistical analysis tools, formatting table visuals is cumbersome

Andres
Project manager in Mexico
Food Production, 10,000+ Employees

A very intuitive business intelligence tool

Comments: I started using it while I was making my MBA and I was amazed at the easy of use and the possibility to make chart in a very powerful way beyond excel. Later on, when I was asked to do some complex representation of many parameters, Tableau has been the best and easiest option, beyond other 3 options I have tried from major sellers

Pros:

- Very intuitive way o assemble data, no need for programming or special commands - Easily change data from numeric to alphanumeric - The most common and useful charts are available - Easy to breakdown data into several clusters - I once plotted 6 parameters in a 2 dimensional chart: X, Y, bubble size, color, name, icon - You can build special read-only docs with the functionality to be read by Tableu Reader (as in acrobat reader) - You can customize label, axis, trend and references lines

Cons:

- Eventually some very specific charts are not there as chord, tornado, tree maps, nodes, gauges, alluvial diagram, dendograms - Even with all the clustering, it lacks statistical analysis as Anova, hypothesis test between two set of data, normal probability plot

Thomas
Sr Director, Information Services in US
Media Production, 51–200 Employees

A premium option at a premium price point

Comments: Overall Tableau is a great BI/Visualization tool where the only limitations are what your team can do with it. The platform itself has every bell and whistle you could want and provides a ton of customization for various use cases.
The challenge arises when moving to the logistical management of the platform, specifically around access, user education and price. While it might be great for individual organizations, our use case of deploying dashboards to hundreds of clients just isn’t what Tableau was built for.
If you have the right use case and team to support it, it’s a fantastic option. But if you’re lacking in those areas (or perhaps want a tool with more automatic BI/AI capabilities), there’s likely a better option for your organization.

Pros:

There is a reason that Tableau is synonymous with data visualization tools to many people and organizations. It’s a premium product that can do pretty much whatever you want it to. Tableau’s features are limitless and with the proper resources to maintain and deploy it, you’ll rarely identify capabilities that it doesn’t have. It is truly a BI tool that enables your team to overcome any obstacle they face. I specifically enjoyed some of the advanced visualization capabilities of Tableau that more “basic” tools don’t offer. The time series visualizations are easy to configure and are always a crowd favorite. The ability to deploy on-premise or in the cloud means that organizations can configure to their preference. All in all, it is an incredibly powerful tool that leaves very few stones unturned.

Cons:

The three biggest drawbacks to our organization continuing with Tableau were ease of use, cost scalability and functional scalability. Tableau is not the tool for organizations that lack technical resources. It’s not as “plug and play” as other options on the market and requires significant training of architects to fully take advantage of all its capabilities. Tableau also isn’t the ideal solution if price is an obstacle in your organization. Frankly, it ain’t cheap. Depending on your desired level of investment and the number of users you’ll need, it can run the tab up quickly. Additionally, user management in Tableau itself isn’t an issue, but deployment presents its challenges. Other options on the market are much easier to introduce users to (here’s your login, go to this URL and boom, you’re good to go) whereas Tableau requires more configuration. This is dependent on which Tableau version you utilize, but there are efforts involved in scaling the platform.

Sergio
sales officer in Trinidad & Tobago
Insurance, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great for dashboards, but training is required

Comments: I generally use tableau to show sales data on dashboards to executives. Overall experience is great now that I have enough skill to operate and manipulate the data to generate what I want.

Pros:

I like that you can merge different data sources to generate new views of data. for example, overlay a census report above your sales data and have a demographic profile of sales for the country. Also the hundred different graphs and charts to choose from. this scores me high points with the executives when I show them a fancy graphic in meetings.

Cons:

We had some trouble with tableau speaking to our servers and applications which took longer that we wanted before we could start using live data to run reports. You must clean your data before you upload to tableau. the data scrubbing system on tableau needs work. This makes it difficult when using live data. I usually just use and extract, clean and upload.

E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Finally, Reporting Made Easy!

Comments: Overall, I am very glad to be using Tableau for reporting. It really helps my team and I see and understand the reports easily so that we can focus on analyzing. The automatic updates and the ability to turn certain filters on and off have been a big game changer for us. If you're looking for a better way to visualize your data, I recommend looking into Tableau.

Pros:

Tableau seamlessly integrates with Salesforce and allows us to create beautiful reports and dashboards. Prior to this, we relied on Salesforce for all reporting and we found it pretty limiting or difficult to set-up. With Tableau, it's been very easy to see all of our reports in one place. I love that you can toggle on certain filters too to change the dashboards easily rather than having to edit the whole thing. We also have ours set to auto refresh daily, which saves us time. I always found that refreshing my reports or dashboards on Salesforce took some time, but with Tableau this process has been sped up.

Cons:

I have yet to encounter any difficulties with this software. The process has been pretty smooth so far.

Janosch
Janosch
Human Resources Consultant in Germany
Internet, 51–200 Employees

The future of Big Data visualisation and processing

Comments: It took me some time to understand the scope and approach of Tableau. During this time i was confused and sometimes frustrated as It was hard to get static reports out of tableau. Once however I understood the magic behind it (well actually it wasn't Tableaus fault, but just me being stubborn) a whole new world of analyzing data opened up. A Magnificent, splendid, dynamic and playful way of getting answers from data and a completely new way of thinking questions to ask from my data. If you do not have to create static reports which you want to mail daily to a bunch of people but want to explre the secrets your data holds This is THE tool. Definite recommendation.

Pros:

Tableau is centered around you as a user asking questions to your data. It is as simple as that and it works in ways not imagined before. Via graphical user antierface and drag and drop you combine aspects of your data and visualize relations. The coolest thing is that Tableau supports you without pushing or distracting. The process is emergent and makes it possible to walk the line from coherence to causality and have fun along the way. The End results look great and can be reformated by a couple of clicks in order to shift perspective or look from a different angle or with a different point of interest towards your findings. Tableu picks you up where you are and you can run it as SAAS or on premise, depending on your preferences. Also the API is simple and powerful, making the integration as a dedicated reporting and statistcs module, or more precise data visualisation playground to your existing product easy and convenient. By doing so you can add tableaus product-versatility, ease of use and beauty to a product and participate from its user friendly and open aproach to data analysis.

Cons:

The licensing was a bit of a hassle as we started in the early days of tableau. Also Sales were very eager and pretty actively tried to support us. This never was a bad thing, just a bit too much. Also Tableau introduced support for document based databases rather later than earlier so we had a slight wait there. Then again, every time the did include a feature it was just bug free and worked like a charm so this was allright as well. Two things are especially important when evaluating Tableau, from my point of view: The data you whish to process with it must adhere to a minimal standard (or you will have to do a lot of conversion before you can enjoy it within tableau). So older datasources might become somewhat bothersome or at least require a preprocessing step. Most important is that you understand what tableau is for: You will have a great time when dynamically and actively exploring data, even rapidly changing data or real time streams. If you use a tool for creating static reports you waste the potential of this great piece of human engineering and might run into issues.

Shane
Paid Media Manager in South Africa
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Tableau Recommendation

Comments: Tableau allows complex data to be simplified by visualizing it. We can take a complicated digital marketing budget daily task and implement it via Tableau user dashboards etc. This will then open possibilities to automating specific processes that are a part of the whole task. Another point in my experience - we can totally use Tableau to create a dashboard that allows non-technical stakeholders to understand technical data via dashboards.

Pros:

- Amazing data visualization capabilities - Tableau can comfortably handle large amounts of data. A million rows of data can be visualized without affecting the overall performance of the dashboard - Dashboards can be built interactively using the drag & drop function - It runs effectively and efficiently across different devices & -

Cons:

- There seems to be no schedule or automatic refresh functionality - There is no custom visual import option available - Scaling may cause potential high costs if the organization is huge

Goma
Marketing Manager in Nepal
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Tableau Through My Eyes

Pros:

The wide range of chart types, maps, and graphs allows me to present complex information in a visually appealing and understandable way. The intuitive drag-and-drop interface empowers me to create stunning visualizations without needing to rely on extensive coding or technical expertise. One standout feature of Tableau is its interactive dashboards. I can consolidate multiple visualizations and key metrics into a single, dynamic view. Being able to explore and interact with the data directly on the dashboard, applying filters, and drilling down into specific details, provides me with a comprehensive understanding of trends and patterns. The level of interactivity offered by Tableau truly engages my curiosity and helps me uncover insights that would have otherwise remained hidden.

Cons:

While Tableau offers an array of powerful features, there is a slight learning curve involved in mastering its advanced functionalities. As a beginner, I found myself needing to invest time in understanding the intricacies of certain features, such as statistical analysis and forecasting. Although Tableau provides resources and a supportive community, a more user-friendly onboarding experience or interactive tutorials would have been beneficial.

Raghavendar
Sr. BI Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

On the fly BI tool with rich visualizations and Dashboard features

Comments: We used Tableau for Visualization BI apart from having Business Objects for reporting. We have created a story for a given subject with all the related information to present to the user. It gives a quick glance on what is happening on the sales of drug for a pharma company that I worked. Migration from non-prod to prod is very easy (unlike other BI tools). Cost of the project reduces a lot with Tableau for BI projects

Pros:

Tableau has changed the BI world a lot. It has brought in a software, using with business user can create dashboard & reports on the fly and can check what is there inside. It allows the user to read through the data and derive the insights without much technical analysis. First it can connect to any database (I know about 44 database it connects) and you can set the data, slice the data needed for current analysis and then you can do quick reporting. It provide multiple features, like different charts, graphs and tables and mathematical and statistical functions for analysis. Once you have create multiple visuals you can put them onto one dashboard or multiple dashboards into a story and present the same to business

Cons:

Even though it has rich features but it can support the Enterprise BI needs like business object or Cognos does. It does not provide all the feature for E L T (extraction, load and transform) which requires complex transactions. As data gets huge the graphs and charts become unreadable. also, this software is more useful to the business user for personal purpose than company wide reporting etc. The administration part of it needs a lot.

Cassidy
Consulting Team Lead in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

The best data analysis and visualization tool ever reviewed

Comments: Tableau has slashed the time it takes to connect to data sources, run sophisticated analyses, and design insightful visualizations for use across the company. Our company's decision-making is aided by the fact that it integrates a plethora of tools for efficiently exploring, analyzing, and visualizing massive datasets. It has worked wonderfully with my company, and we couldn't be happier with the outcomes. Data experts and analytics teams seeking a robust yet user-friendly BI solution will find it an ideal alternative.

Pros:

Tableau is a robust and intuitive program for analyzing and visualizing data. The easy-to-navigate interface facilitates rapid data exploration and analysis. I like how quickly and easily it allows me to integrate and analyze massive amounts of data from many sources, all while making visually appealing and insightful visualizations. It also incorporates sophisticated analytics tools like complicated aggregations and predictive models. Users may find answers fast because of Tableau's broad online community and resources. The implementation of Tableau within my company has been smooth sailing.

Cons:

Tableau can be pricey, especially for startups or single users, and there is a learning curve to getting the most out of all its advanced features and capabilities.

MANAS
Senior Software Engineer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Data Analysis has become effective with tableau, its a analysis with computation tool

Comments: Tableau is a great tool , its designed for complex data analysis, it works wonderfully , especially with databases as datasource

Pros:

Tableau is a great tool for analysing data, unlike XL sheets the data is stored and we can analyse only the stored data, in tableau data can reside any ware it can be in any database or even in files , we can analyse them, (it supports many type of data sources), the data source can even be a complex query and can join multiple sources in different ways, Tableau can compute the data further for analysis, data is segregated into dimension and values and this value can be computing , assume it as in xl sheet there a cell value can be computation of other and this chain can continue, Can add interactive filters in the analysis screen, host these dashboards on server, the server maintains the history of uploaded changes , kind of a version control , can revert back and forth , can also download the versions, It has data refresh options , like live and scheduled , the like always queries the datasources and shows the data, ware as the scheduled runs the refresh on scheduled times, we can write the schedule logic in the server, have a good community support and documentations, it dose provide a 30days free trial on the tableau application, after which we need a product key

Cons:

Don't have proper version control in tableau, could have a feature like integrating with git, since there is no such feature parallel development cant be done, this is like a single developer works on a dashboard at a time, i think we can copy one sheet from different dashboard to another its a good thing thow sort of can archive parallel development but its not a clear way

Anuj
Anuj
Business Intelligence Analyst in US
Internet, 10,000+ Employees

Great BI Tool - Lovely Friendly Pretty!

Comments: • Anyone will be able to make Pretty visualization without much prior experience and can decipher stories underneath data.
• It was really easy for me to pick up the tool and get on the speed. Really like this BI Tool but it does have its limitations.
• Great for visualizations but if you want a BI Tool for numeric/tabular reports especially for financial reports - you should probably consider some other tool. With that being said, its totally worth the money for all other BI needs and seriously the best BI Tool available!

Pros:

• Awesome BI Tool • Very User-friendly • Pretty visualization • Easy to ramp up. Even new users can get to the speed really fast • Tableau Reader is free - so developers can make it and anyone can view it for free • Creating Interactive Dashboards and Storyboards is an awesome way to tell a story with the data - Great for presentations! • While you can have only limited developer licenses but pretty much anyone in your organization can view or even interact with Tableau reports on the server - which is very nice if your audience is huge. Easy to export data/reports in Excel and PDF.

Cons:

• Not much flexible for numeric/tabular reports, if you need a BI Tool for Finance reports - you really need this part! • If you are building a tabular report with numbers you will miss few very basic and must have things - assigning row numbers. There is no such feature to append row numbers. • In tabular reports, your hierarchy will remain fixed for every section. You can't have 2 rows in section and 3 in other. All secitions will be rigid.

Lydiah
Student Association Leader in Kenya
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

Critical Tool for Qualitative Analysis of Big Dats

Comments: For the few years I have now interacted with tableau in a class environment I really can't wait to get out there and use it's dynamic features for business intelligence. It comes with soo many features that I am sure would help any business deeply analyze market data that will help them gain the tricks, visualize and predict on the business trajectory and avoid most risks before they happen

Pros:

To be honest I have only used tableau in a classrooms setup for learning purposes. In my course there is a unit referred to Actuarial Modelling where we are deep data management and that is where I get to interact with Tableau. There is alot of features I appreciate about it. For me it didn't take me long to familiarize with it .Creating a dashboard is soo engaging and it's UX is straightforward. Accessing it from my mobile phone gives me the convenience of doing my data analysis assignment even away from school. On functionalities, it connect with data sources especially Excel CSV which is our main data harbor. From there I can now I can clean the data, use the bin function to categoriesit for simplified analysis, visualize it and descriptively explain the insights data in a natural language. Tableau also allows me to make prediction using the statistical elements such as the mean, mode, quartiles etc on likeliness of certain events in reference to the data Iam using.

Cons:

For novices it will take you time to unravel the complexity of Tableau to be able to enjoy each and every feature for deep analytics. But when you get to learn it, trust me you will like it

Retail, 10,000+ Employees

Technical people to business people, this software caters to all

Comments: I started with this product as a curiosity and later in an academic setup. From then on, I have used this for my internship and at my work. This provides amazing insights to the higher level managers and as well as customers. Things can be tracked with the help of visualization without being boring.

Pros:

How easily it can retrieve the data from worksheets and sql server is really amazing. Once done it is easy to publish or put this into production. I like the capabilities it has to offer on how to visualize data with simple chart techniques. Also hover over option helps to provide more details for a data point either by calculated field or with an picture.

Cons:

Fewer time it becomes difficult to process larger amount of data and it does not offer support to google big query. So manual extraction or an intermediate source has to be used.

Craig
Craig
Senior Platform Operations Specialist in US
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Best All-Around Starting Point for Data Viz

Comments: I've primarily used Tableau to automate regular KPI dashboard reporting - taking reports that were once done done in Excel using pivot tables and graphs and putting a coat of polish on them. It also allows us to be more hands-off since we can set up automated email delivery, and also set up alerts that warn of us when KPIs are either too high or low, suggesting either a data issue, or some other trend worthy of closer attention.

Pros:

Tableau is accessible and easy to use across teams with various levels of technical ability. You can build the simplest of tables or bar charts, or go all in with dynamic stories, automated data pipelines, email reporting, alerts, etc. The ability to automate graphs/charts with alerts and email output has streamlined our entire analytics reporting process and saves hours per person per week. It's the kind of tool you don't fully appreciate until you use it, and almost all teams could benefit from a dedicated tool that goes beyond Excel for all things visual.

Cons:

One small annoyance is that alignments can be tricky when using multiple tables or charts in a single dashboard. Trying to adjust column widths across tables can be especially challenging. This comes up a lot with client-facing reports where we want to present multiple tables with a clean, cohesive look. I'd also love to see more analytical features built in. For example, we use Tableau to visually demonstrate conversion rates for A/B testing, but there isn't an easy (first-party) way to perform any kind of A/B test (or show the results from one) in the dashboard.

Tess
Business Operations in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Great for Data Discovery

Comments: Overall its helped our business leaders to understand their data and make actionable insights.

Pros:

Tableau is great for discovering interesting parts of our data. We use it to supplement Excel analysis and its super easy to use.

Cons:

The dashboards can be a bit clunky sometimes for our end users as the UI is a little old fashioned. This is a minor thing but does make it a bit harder to use.