Marketo Engage Reviews

4.2 (635) Write a Review!

About Marketo Engage

Powerful, easy to use marketing automation software that helps generate qualified leads and translate marketing spending into revenue.

Learn more about Marketo Engage

Pros:

This task is accomplished through their easy to use user interface and dashboard which can report the necessity to upgrade target key search words and title tags.

Cons:

Some of the systems can be quite hard to understand at first.

Marketo Engage ratings

3.8
3.9
4.3
3.8

8.0/10

Marketo Engage has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 635 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Marketo Engage before?

MD Masoom
MD Masoom
Sr. Executive Sales and Research in India
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees

Indeed a Best-in-Class Marketing Automation Software

Comments: My overall experience with Marketo Marketing Automation is satisfactory. I am using it daily for marketing automation for different marketing campaigns for different team members and I found this platform very helpful and amazing. My experience with their dashboards and reports features are mindblowing and this is the best thing about this tool.

Pros:

I like almost everything about this amazing marketing automation tool. Some of the things that I like most about it is the following: 1. Marketo customer support team is very responsive and always available to help, this is something I like the most. 2. Marketo's simple and easy user interface is amazing and very easy to use. This is the second thing that I like about it. 3. Marketo's amazing dashboards and reports features are the 3rd things that I like most about it. It is very informatics.

Cons:

I want to share one thing that I dislike about it and that is Marketo is a little bit expensive compared to other tool but I must say that it is worth to spend on it.

Whitney
Director of DG in US
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Marketo powers our entire marketing team

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Marketo is the platform that powers our entire marketing campaigns and performance. It allows us to understand the impact marketing is having on overall bottom line.

Pros:

It's incredibly robust, so you're able to manage the entiretly of your marketing campaigns within Marketo: audience creation, lead scoring, emails, landing pages, content management, automation and sync to salesforce. Bizible ensures everything a prospect or customer does is tracked in Salesforce so we understand the impact marketing has on revenue.

Cons:

It's clunky because it's legacy. It's not an easy tool to navigate or manage. It requires coding to build landing pages and their templates aren't great (pro-tip: use Unbounce and connect to Marketo). Because Marketo is so robust, when you build automation and audiences and campaigns, you can get overwhelmed and lost.

Edward
Owner in US
Computer Software

Pros and Cons

Pros:

Once optimized, Marketo is good for rapid-fire content creation (emails, landing pages, and campaigns) that is tailored and optimized for digital marketing experiences. It can collect a broad range of data out-of-the-box which provides significant advantages compared to competitors.

Cons:

Marketo's ability to scale, technically, can be a limiting factor at times. The major dependencies are lead database size, web traffic volume, and integration with the CRM. At the point of 750k+ leads, Marketo becomes slow to work with. At the point of 10k page visits/day, queues start to pop up on logging web activity. When lots of leads are begin updated in Marketo and through the CRM, the back-and-forth usage of API calls (by which Marketo communicates with CRMs) starts to max out, and you have to really optimize the setup in order to have timely communication between Marketo and the CRM.

Integrator / COO in US

Very powerful, not the most user-friendly tool out there.

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: We rolled it out 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. There's been some frustration in the business at the turn-around time on Marketing Ops requests, but that's more of a staffing issue and because of the fact that it's not very easy for an end user to just jump in and setup a campaign on their own. If you have good permissions management, use of templates, and at least some experienced admin support it can be an extremely powerful and effective tool. It's not for the faint of heart.

Pros:

It is extremely powerful. But as Spider-Man says, with great power comes great responsibility. You definitely want someone who knows what they're doing managing this thing.

Cons:

Relatively high cost of ownership. I'd suggest it's best for enterprises or marketing requirements that call for very sophisticated automation. It's not easy for end users to do much self-service, so you'll definitely need an admin with experience. And depending on your workload one or multiple ops specialists up to an entire team.

Marius
Head of Marketing in Lithuania

A Powerful and Easy-to-Use Digital Marketing Platform

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, Marketo Engage is an excellent digital marketing platform. It provides all the tools and features to help businesses generate leads and nurture them through the sales funnel. The user interface is easy to use, and the insights provided are invaluable.

Pros:

Marketo Engage is an incredibly powerful and easy-to-use digital marketing platform. It allows for a high degree of automation and customization and provides robust features for lead generation and nurturing. The user interface is intuitive, and it provides great insights into marketing performance.

Cons:

The pricing for Marketo Engage can be expensive for some, and the learning curve can be steep for those not familiar with digital marketing. There can also be occasional bugs and glitches that need to be addressed.

Alan
Sales Manager in Bolivia
Broadcast Media, 201-500 Employees

An Easy to Use and Effective Platform for Engagement - Marketo Engage

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Using Marketo Engage has been a great experience. It is easy to use and has powerful automation capabilities that have helped us reach our customers more effectively. The cost is a bit high, but the value is worth it.

Pros:

Marketo Engage is a great platform for engagement. It has a user-friendly interface and makes it easy to create campaigns, track analytics, and manage the customer journey. The automation capabilities are also very powerful, allowing us to quickly create and deploy campaigns that are tailored to our individual customers.

Cons:

The only drawback to Marketo Engage is the cost. It is a bit pricey compared to other engagement platforms, but it is worth the investment.

Priyansh
Priyansh
Owner in India
Animation, 2-10 Employees

A user-friendly marketing automation solution that we can recommend.

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It is a solid marketing automation solution that can help small businesses like mine streamline their efforts and improve their campaign performance. While it does have some limitations, the user-friendly interface and robust set of features make it a valuable addition to any marketing team's toolkit.

Pros:

I was in search of a marketing automation solution that could help streamline my team's efforts and improve our campaigns' performance. That's when I came across Marketo Engage, and I must say, I was impressed with its capabilities. It had some great features that made it a valuable addition to my team's marketing toolkit. We liked the intuitive drag-and-drop interface, which made it simple for us to create and customize our campaigns. Another pro was the robust set of features available on the platform as it has a variety of tools that allowed us to execute our campaigns in an efficient manner. This included email marketing, lead management, and analytics. It also has very powerful reporting capabilities through which we were able to gain valuable insights into our campaign performance and make data-driven decisions. The integration options are great, we were able to connect it with our CRM, so our sales and marketing teams could work together seamlessly.

Cons:

On the downside, One thing that I found to be a limitation was the pricing model. It can be a bit expensive for small businesses like mine and we have to consider the costs carefully. Its an Adobe product and they have a reputation for making sudden drastic changes. Second, it has a steep learning curve, we had to spend some extra time getting familiar with all of the platform's features and capabilities. It also had limited customization options for forms and landing pages. We would have preferred more flexibility in this area. Also it does not have a mobile app which was a bit of a problem for my team, we had to use the browser on our mobile devices.

CEO in Togo
Internet, 2-10 Employees

The best for your marketing automation

5.0 last month New

Comments: Based on my own positive experience with marketo I would highly recommend to users

Pros:

Marketo helps me generate leads and prospects to increase my customer database. The interface is easy to use, best application in automating tasks

Cons:

marketo works well for me I haven't had any problems yet

Fabio
HeadOps in Brazil

Marketo is complete

4.0 last month New

Comments: The experience was positive, but it would be nice if they had a more user-friendly interface for news users.

Pros:

It is a complete tool that offers everything you need from a marketing point of view, be it lead score, automations, email blasts, a/b testing, custom forms, etc.

Cons:

Its interface is old and not very intuitive. It requires training and is definitely not the easiest to use. The price is also high.

kathryn
Marketing Manager in US

Marketo Looks Simple but Isn't

Comments: We leverage Marketo mostly for marketing operations. From an email deployment standpoint or form conversion standpoint it's been sub par. It's hard to work with and has a lot of bells and whistles that I'm not truly convinced are worth while.

Pros:

I like how the folder system keeps all elements of a campaign together and allows you to easily replicate similar types of campaigns. I also like how easy it is to see the success indicators all rolled up into one space. The ability to A/B test and the like is simple to set up.

Cons:

Every feature has a quirk that you might only find out after the fact and becoming a power-user is nearly impossible without hiring a consultant to help you. The trainings on Marketo are superficial and LONG and really don't help much from an onboarding prospective.

Ruth
Marketing Automation and Website Manager in US
Banking, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Customizable to Your Business

Pros:

Marketo is robust and can be configured to meet most business cases. It integrates well with many systems/services. For example, Marketo integrates better with Salesforce than Salesforce Marketing Cloud. There is a solid user group/community. Things like Content AI and Web Personalization take personalization across your digital marketing to the next level. Training is required to use a lot of features.

Cons:

You have to build your own preference center. This doesn't come out-of-the-box. UI is bad, and Marketo Sky will help fix this, but it's taking forever for Marketo Sky to get to a point where I can actually use it. Many features do cost extra but you can pick and choose. Landing page templating is lacking without a dedicated devloper.

Crystal
Customer Community Manager in US
Computer Software

Want to see proven ROI with a marketing automation system?

Pros:

- UI Usability & design. - Tracking of programs from creation to execution, including success and engagement across programs like webinars, events, web pages and multi-step or channel campaigns. - Complex criteria for building out nurture programs based on targeted parameters and real-time interactions. - Global partitions and platform internationalization. - Real-time personalization

Cons:

- Search functionality could be a lot easier with keywords, or created date. I know the platform just updated to search based on URL, but it could use a bit more work to make it easier for newer employees who have tons of legacy items to sift through. - Speed of platform is sometimes frustrating - it can be great at times...other times it lags beyond belief, when pulling lists, approving emails and landing pages, and just jumping from campaign to campaign. Sometimes I have to even restart or refresh the platform just to get it moving again. - Campaign calendar layout is not intuitive and leaves marketing teams resorting to a Google Calendar or similar feature to track campaign sequencing and deliverables. It's usable if you spend some time in it, but it definitely could be better.

Praveen
Software Engineer in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Marketo: An Ultimate Platform for marketing!

Pros:

The reason why I referred the application as an ultimate platform is that it gathers all information about your digital marketing campaigns emails, online forms, marketing material etc. at a single place. It is a user-friendly interface which is easily understandable by you and it has a very brilliant capability of automating almost everything. In this, one can build a variety of things like email templates, landing pages, etc. It supports multi-touch campaigns and multichannel. It is broad and very useful for CRM Integration and most importantly Analytics. It increases efficiency in a variety of ways (like the ability to create a tokenized template) as well as its Lead management process is also brilliant!! Its capabilities are very vast, Comprehensive campaigns capabilities are one of them.

Cons:

Here are a few cons which shouldn’t be ignored. Reporting of Analytics of Marketo is very bad and in addiction smart list designs are not flexible and it is very difficult to design them. Most importantly it is not within the range of all types of people, as its rates are little bit higher. Its interface should be improved for new users as well as some software bugs should also be fixed regarding auto-saving. It loads the previewing list very slowly. Its Spam Identification feature also very poor as well as email and landing page analytics are also not enough. But at last, I want to say that the major issue with it, is regarding its speed of loading the application which needs a lot of improvement

Emanuela
Director of Marketing in

My experience with Marketo

Comments: We are using Marketo across the whole organization to improve and automate our marketing activities. We are using it at corporate level as well as in each operation (US, UK, DACH, France, Italy, APAC, etc). We improved ability to attract new leads and the engagement of visitors on our website.

Pros:

- Workflow: the logic behind the workflows allows to automate manual activities - Lead gen: we improved the engagement of the visitors on our website and we manage the entire lead generation process on Marketo integrated with our CRM. - Programs: it is easy to create and manage emailing and nurture programs with the ability to set rules when the email should be sent. - Forms: we are using Marketo forms and we embedded them on our website.

Cons:

- Integration with Dynamics: after 3 years we still have some issues on the integration with MS Dynamics... the 2 systems are not well integrated. - Support: sometimes we had some issues with getting quick replies from support. - Landing pages: it is missing a validation workflow on the thank you pages (to be sure that those who will access the thank you page have successfully filled-out the form included in the landing page).

Renee
Sales Associate in US
Management Consulting

Great Solution for Salesforce users.

Pros:

I used Marketo in my last role for about three years and was always impressed. Marketo does a great job of integrating very seamlessly with Salesforce and in a sales role, this is imperative to your success. You are able to track not only your emails, but develop sophisticated campaigns to drive engagement in a particular market or across a broad spectrum. Above all, Marketo gave you the flexibility to develop an idea and execute on it successfully. Additionally, the system was great in providing the engagement reports key prospects had with our organization. As a sales professional, quality leads some times make or break a quota. Marketo feeds you quality leads that you're able to rank based on many algorithms. Having an understanding of what your prospect is most interested in, creates a much more effective first conversation, rather than attempting to connect cold. Overall, Marketo was a crucial part of our sales processes and truly assisted in your achievements as an organization. I would highly recommend.

Cons:

We only encountered some occasional problems when uploading smart lists. This would sometimes take quite a long time when Marketo was running updates or changes, that would slow the system.

VP Marketing in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

The Big Boy of Marketing Autumation

Comments: Overall - Marketo was killer! Onboarding was great and support with issues was helpful. My biggest advice would be to maximize their time on site by building funnels you actually can use!

Pros:

Marketo allows you to automate anything. Whatever action you want to trigger from - you can. We were a large publishing group sending millions of emails each month. We needed ways to segment and identify the exact user we wanted. Marketo gave us those tools to do that quickly and easily!

Cons:

Some of our team struggled to understand some of the terms and systems. It came very quick to some of the team and slower with others. I mention this because it seemed more like a mental block than ignorance. I also felt like we needed a developer to help make the dreams happen. It was just outside of our skillset so we needed some extra hands in the early days making all the connections perfect.

Marketing Manager in US

Efficient tool for marketing automation!

Comments: We've found so much success since implementing Marketo. We are able to track and report on our sales campaigns, which allows us to continually improve our content and marketing strategies.

Pros:

Once you set campaigns and functionality up in the platform, it's extremely easy to clone programs and logic. Managing lists and contacts is very easy to do and the platform offers pretty helpful reporting tools. The Marketo community is full of great resources and you are always connected to helpful tools to help you better use the platform.

Cons:

Email creation can be difficult. How the email looks when you build it can differ greatly from what you see in the preview test send. I've spent a long time tweaking emails in the platform trying to get them to look good, and without templates, it's extremely difficult at times.

Zack
Director of Advancement & Admissions in
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees

Multiple Layers of Useful Features, Steep Learning Curve, Ultimately Worth the Price

Comments: I am in the non-profit space, which generally has too few staff trying to do too many things. When used properly, Marketo increases our capabilities beyond what any of us alone could accomplish through a typical email-blast service. That being said, it takes discipline, time, and maybe even a dedicated personnel resource (internal or external) to get it up and running where it begin to really serve your organization's needs.

Pros:

- Options for Customization of Automation Campaigns and Landing Pages - Extensive Analytical Tools - "The Sky's the Limit" on how much your marketing team can do with this tool

Cons:

- The Email Editor is difficult to use, in my opinion. But if you are comfortable with writing HTML code, you can bypass the drag-and-drop editor. Also, it may not be any more difficult than any other option (I don't have a wide exposure to email builders). - The learning curve on the whole is steep. If you don't have a dedicated marketing staff person, you may be frustrated by how much time you need to set aside to learn how to use the various tools. But their documentation resources and training tools are very helpful. - You have to pay extra for full-service tech support.

Shahid
Business Developer- Sales Ops in India
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees

Marketo beats every platform in the peer space.

Comments: We just love this platform, it has improved our Sales-Marketing initiatives and we are able to achieve best results.

Pros:

Lead Management- Marekto has helped us improve our lead management with better lead scoring parameters and tracking the movement of each lead help us drive sales. Marketing campaigns- We are able to successfully deliver our email marketing campaigns and achieve high results, With Marketo we justify the ROI on marketing spend. The email templates, the email scheduler, analytics, different dashboards are great feature and can boost your productivity.

Cons:

This is the best platform, having said that it needs training to use more efficiently. So a training is required for new user to make optimal use of it.

Marketing Coordinator in US
Legal Services, 501-1,000 Employees

Marketing Automation Powerhouse

Pros:

The face that Marketo syncs with Salesforce and Bizible information makes it our source of truth in many cases. I consume the information in Marketo rather than automating myself, but I find the folder system easy to navigate once you figure out your company's foldering/naming conventions. I like the way you view a 'person' in Marketo, which is more consistent than the lead vs. contact system in Salesforce.

Cons:

While the folder (drop-down menu) system is relatively easy to get the hang of, the entirety of the program is a bit of a beast to master, even when you're just consuming the info within marketo (not building programs). It would be easy to get lost trying to look for detailed information. Luckily we have a Marketo expert who can help and finds it easy to get us the information we need.

Digital Strategy in US

Very robust Marketing Automation platform

Comments: Overall, Marketo is an extremely robust tool. It really helps marketers meet their needs, and also consider different ways to perform campaign operations.

Pros:

Marketo allows you the flexibility to do a lot with your marketing campaigns. The Smart Campaign logic alone can accomplish so much, the possibilities are (nearly) endless.

Cons:

Visually, it is outdated. (Even with their beta rollout of Marketo Sky, it's still lacking an ease-of-use.) I would really like to see a more visual interface for Smart Campaigns especially. Also, the response time when attempting to switch between different Marketo instances is at a snail's pace.. I'd love to see that improve.

Peter
Marketing Automation and Technology Manager in US
Chemicals, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Marketo - Game Changing Marketing Automation

Comments: We have been able to really advance or lead management and marketing automation capabilities, uncovering new ways of working and process improvements as a result of adopting this technology.

Pros:

The platform is so robust if you can imagine an automated workflow it has seemed to be something that you can bring to life. We continuously are suprised to learn about its robust capabilities to automate so many tasks and workflows not only in Marketo but with Salesforce, which we have intergrated as well as outlook.

Cons:

At times the system can take a while to load, especially if you are trying to pull down a large about of data at one time.

Rachel
Growth and Marketing Operations in
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees

Operationally and Organizationally Powerful

Comments: Measuring movement and success through specific programs is very helpful. On a very basic level, looking at acquisition program and a lead source is very helpful. We have been able to develop much better reporting for our executives and show them ROI from the Marketing team. From an operational standpoint, the organization is so much better than it has been in the past. It's easy to know where to pull data from and things can get done much quicker with templates.

Pros:

Everything can be organized the way that works for our team. There are very few limits to the way we can set up programs and we are able to customize fields, analytics, etc to tell us whatever it is we need to know. We've used other systems (like HubSpot) and they are not nearly as flexible. I also LOVE the Marketo Community. We've learned a lot from our peers in different discussions.

Cons:

Sometimes there are too many options and not enough guidance on best practices. Marketo has documentation on different products, but they don't tell me WHY I might want to use a specific feature, just how I would go about doing so.

Jenna
Marketing Director in US
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees

Marketo is great, but you need the manpower

Pros:

I love how powerful Marketo is! If you have the time and manpower to run creative, thoughtful campaigns and automation, you'll be a marketing rockstar and your sales team will be closing leads all day! The Salesforce sync is fantastic, as well as additional plugins and integrations that you couldn't even dream up yourself. Seems like they've thought of everything.

Cons:

It requires quite a bit of manpower and effort to be able to use Marketo to its fullest potential. A small marketing team could struggle with new ideas, troubleshooting, and having the time to fully analyze the product's ROI.

Maria Lenin
Business Development Executive in Philippines

Higher Sales Conversion with Marketo

Pros:

When we started using Marketo for our Marketing Automation, there was an increase of opportunities with our leads. We were able to trim down and focus on the right market and were able to convert leads to sales by 10% on the first month we used Marketo. It is easy to use and templates are good. We receive daily update and marketing news on the latest trend and tools for marketing. Digital marketing is new and Marketo is complete with the right tools and guide on how to effectively tap your market and generate leads through social media.

Cons:

Everything in Marketo is amazing. They have tips and guides for their products. Though ofcourse the price is costly compared to other email automation or newsletter creation that can be accessed or used at no cost. Free trial would be something i should also recommend for Marketo.