About Mindbody

Mindbody wellness business management software is tailored to businesses that need business and membership management systems.

Learn more about Mindbody

Pros:

I like how easy this software makes it to reserve a spot in a workout class and cancel a reservation if need be. I also like how the price of classes is made known and shown very clearly.

Cons:

Customer Service, Pricing, Poor Interface, Difficult to Set Up.

Mindbody ratings

3.8
3.8
4.0
3.6

7.2/10

Mindbody has an overall rating of 4.0 out 5 stars based on 2,579 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Mindbody before?

Filter reviews (2,579)

Garrett
Garrett
CIO in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees

Learn It and Use It

Pros:

I can not state more clearly that Mindbody is the leader in what they do. They have their faults because of the way it was designed originally but they are working on those every day but no system on the market is better. I have a feeling that a couple years from now, they be much larger than what they even are now.

Cons:

the old design structure of the base platform could use some updates, which they are aware of

Alternatives Considered: WellnessLiving

Reasons for Choosing Mindbody: This handles so much more of the business operations

Switched From: WellnessLiving

Reasons for Switching to Mindbody: it is a clear leader in the field

Selma
Content Manager in Algeria
Internet, 2-10 Employees

Amazing Experience with Mindbody!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Mindbody. It's been a great tool for managing my business and keeping track of appointments, classes, and more. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an easy way to manage their business.

Pros:

I've been using Mindbody for a few months now and I'm so glad I found it! It's so easy to set up and manage my classes and appointments. The customer service team is also amazing - they are always quick to respond and answer any questions I have.

Cons:

The only downside I've experienced with Mindbody is that the app can be a bit buggy and slow at times, but this is a minor issue compared to all the benefits I get from using it.

Austen
Ops Manager in Thailand
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees

Great for Fitness and Customer Managment

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Front to back, this program has really enabled our locations to take the next step in service. MindBody was the tailored platform for our business locations we'd been looking for. Scheduling group classes with this platform prevents errors in overbooking, which prevents us from having to turn away patrons. The AI feature is the gem for us. We aren't always able to greet the customers, so the automated messaging platform takes over has been flawless to date. I no longer have to worry about losing customers due to us not being able to manually respond immediately.

Pros:

We assist with the integration of this software with several of our clients and I use it almost daily. The ability to log customer information from membership dues to private training classes is key with this software. I have watched our clients go from disorganized and not collecting fees on time to customers having their names called out when they enter the establishment. The payments are now automated which means fewer transactions at the front desks.

Cons:

The software can be glitchy sometimes. There can be crashes with the system, which is inconvenient. If they are updating the system, then we would like a heads up. The cost is a little much. If you use all the features, then I can see the value, but this software is feature heavy and they don't offer cherry-pick user plans.

Jorge
Founder and CEO in Dominican Republic

A Comprehensive Membership Management Solution

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, I'm very pleased with Mindbody. It's an easy to use fitness solution that helps me stay on track and reach my goals. I love the convenience of having all my fitness information in one place and being able to book appointments and classes easily. The only downside is that the app can be a bit slow and the search feature is clunky at times.

Pros:

Mindbody is an amazing all-in-one fitness solution. It's easy to use and helps me manage my fitness goals and progress. I love that I can track my progress, set goals, access classes, and book appointments all in one place. It's so convenient and helpful!

Cons:

The only downside to Mindbody is that the app can be a bit slow at times. I also find that the search feature can be a bit clunky and not as intuitive as I'd like.

Allison
Client Success Manager in US

Popular But Pricey

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Mindbody is very user friendly if you have the budget to invest.

Pros:

There are hundreds of studios and fitness centers on Mindbody. There are many services to sign up for and learn more about.

Cons:

It is more expensive than other software systems out there.

Alternatives Considered: Momence and Vagaro

Reasons for Switching to Mindbody: Mindbody is the most popular software inside my community.

Julia
CEO in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Terrible software, terrible customer service

Comments: Customer service is awful. The message always says they have an unusually high call volume, so it takes hours to solve any issues, and half the issues the techs have never heard of it, so they just punt.

Pros:

The software is good at booking clients, and minding the number of sessions remaining in a package. It reminds clients of appointments.

Cons:

The point of sale is a nightmare. They have NO point of sale effectively. They don't even allow an instrument as a chip reader!!! The only solution is a 3rd party instrument that costs $900, and does not fully integrate with the mindbody software. They forbid you getting a functional Credit card terminal, and have no options. This system is a constant source of grief. It double charges clients all the time, they say they are "trying" to get it to stop, meanwhile I get a dozen furious calls a week from clients who complain. The company has had an urgent fix in the works for over a year. I could go on, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Aditionally, they charge way above what I can get credit card processing for on the open market, but they forbid any competition in this arena.

Carley
Spa owner in Canada

I recommend mindbody

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It was easy to set up and it's easy to use

Cons:

It can get a little glitchy sometimes, once in a while the system freezes up and it can take a couple of hours to get it fixed.

JadeLeigh
Call Center Manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees

Great product

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall the system is great. Support is always willing to help.

Pros:

I like that it gives you the ease of scheduling appointments without having a separate booking site. Members are able to easily find you

Cons:

There are not a lot of customization options for pricing

Kendall
Sports, 11-50 Employees

New Ownership Destroyed This Product

2.0 4 days ago New

Comments: We have been using this product for over 12 years, and had I written this review six months ago it would have been glowing. However, since ownership changed hands, quality has gone way down. Service outages. Clients unable to log on and register for classes. Old clients that left several years ago whose memberships have been suddenly reactivated.And the most frustrating thing of all is how absolutely tgerrible customer support has been. Every phone call ends with a promise that the customer support person will "look into" the problem. Then, the very next time, you are dealing with a new customer service rep and have to completely explain the problem again. We have been promised the attention of an "upper level" support person, only to have them blow off a planned meeting.We run an extremely professional operation, and the utter incompetence of Mindbody is a truly embarrassing reflection on it.

Pros:

Integrated martial arts school management.

Cons:

Customer service is awful.Have experienced many software glitches.

owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Pricey with not enough customization

3.0 last month New

Comments: overpriced for only making basic back end customization

Pros:

designed for my industry in mind to be all in one option for the business

Cons:

ran into a lot of issues in customizing the back end

Kurt
Kurt
Owner/Head Coach in US
Sports, Self Employed

MindBody for Small Gym

Comments: Scheduling calendar is simple, intuitive and the drag & drop feature is priceless!
MindBody is a One Stop Shop for a small, service oriented business and it can easily be expanded as the company grows.

Pros:

Easy to use, very intuitive. Set up took almost no time at all. MindBody allows me to schedule Personal Training Sessions and Group Training Sessions, deal with Point of Sale transactions and even track inventory. The software is flexible enough to handle multiple users and expand when needed. The software will also take into account independent contractors. Most functions are very user friendly and mistakes are easy to correct.

Cons:

I use MindBody to process my merchant services and processing transactions over a weekend, especially a holiday weekend, can result in a longer than expected delay before the bank receives the funds. It can take time to put together information for sales tax, most of my business, 95%, is service related. All transactions are recorded, it's just a matter of remembering which questions to ask to get the correct answer.

Alternatives Considered: Zen Planner and Zendesk Suite

Reasons for Choosing Mindbody: RhinoFit didn't have the flexibility I needed and wasn't as intuitive

Switched From: RhinoFit

CEO in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

MindBody for Music Schools

Comments: Studio automation is always a plus - if you haven't used Auto-Pay, you should really try it. Automated emails are really the best part. For us, it's slow, kind of clunky, and doesn't fit our needs as well as we had hoped. Them withholding our money was definitely the main impetus for our disillusionment.

Pros:

Integrated billing/scheduling/contractor & staff payroll. Automated email messaging. Automated customer billing. A large variety of services thought to improve retention and conversion. Tech support is very knowledgeable, professional and helpful.

Cons:

We've been using MB for over 7 years. It was affordable when we started, but has continued to increase in cost. It is now very expensive, by comparison to other offerings. The billing system is extremely complicated to set up and is difficult to train. It's really built for yoga studios, etc., and is not a good solution for music schools. The vast majority of the add-on products they promote are not useful to those that only book recurring appointments, like music schools do. They seem to be designed for pushing individual appointment booking, which is the opposite of what we need. There are constant "improvements" which always add more page loads - when we first started, you could go to any page on the site within 2 clicks. The daily tasks you need are now, all, at least 3 page loads away, if not more. In other words, their improvements always slow us down and don't add any value that we can perceive. The reason we're going to move to something else was cemented this week: On Apr. 1 our Auto-Pays ran like normal. On Apr. 2 they sent us an email informing us that 20% of what they owed us was being held to protect our clients due to changes from the COVID-19 pandemic. We were left scrambling for cash to cover checks we had already written. There was no warning that they were going to short us. They claimed that the "entire processing industry" was doing this, but I can find no evidence that that is true. It looks like they were holding back our money to protect themselves.

Lori
Executive Director in US

MINDBODY software

Comments: I wouldn't want to change. Software changes are difficult to walk staff through. Price increases may impact that over time. Partly because it is ever evolving and slowly but surely we get functionality that we need. The software is greatly modifiable, however, we have hit quite a few roadblocks of things that we need that we just can't do because we do not have the typical boutique business model.

Pros:

Ability to interact with clients through auto-e-mails/texts.

Cons:

Not built specifically for fitness centers so lacks some functionality specific to a non-profit fitness center. Definitely built for a boutique studio.

Katie

Great Platform, Always Growing

Comments: Pleasant. I like it if you can afford it. The company is upstanding, good people and always working to grow the offerings.

Pros:

Mindbody is a great standard of performance for any thriving, mid-size studios. It houses a lot of the things needed to make my studio work. I do think it's very expensive for what you get but the team behind it is incredible.

Cons:

There are many features and functions I need it to have that it doesn't. I used to help build apps. I know what's possible.

Alternatives Considered: WellnessLiving

Switched From: WellnessLiving

Reasons for Switching to Mindbody: The depth of marketing and CRM, payroll and tracking

Yakira
Yakira

Great Interface, Difficult to Navigate, Addt'l Charges, Not Customizable

Comments: MBO functions like you'd expect a very large, very vast business to function - tons of features that you pay for but only a portion of which are usable or easy to access/understand. Super inflexible for making changes or to accommodate any customization. Customer service is nice and easy to access, a recent change to their credit. They also have their app dialed in, which was a huge win for us.

Pros:

Super streamlined UX for the branded app Easy to reach customer service Great analytics dashboard for quick status updates

Cons:

Charges kept going up for no apparent additional value All add-on functions come at additional cost Website integration very poor; no store option Functions/features buried in an oversaturated back-end; back-end not very intuitive Lack of customization on basic features, like booking window hour opening

Molly
Ayurveda Practitioner, Yoga & Massage Therapist in US
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed

Miracle Software

Comments: MindBody is the admin assistant I've always needed and could never before afford. In the first three months of using it I DOUBLED my income. My clients can schedule, cancel, reschedule, sign up for classes and pay online- that alone saves me at least two hours a day that I no longer have to be on the phone, I can be working! Or playing with my family, or a million other things rather than sitting on a phone or on email. Just the ability to take credit cards (all of them) increased my pay; there's a feature when the client pays which asks if they want to leave a tip and offers different percentages or a custom amount...and when asked if they want to leave a tip, more people do so! Seriously my average went from 65 to 90 each session. Clients can buy gift cards online and print them out immediately, that's a nice feature for those last minute gift givers, and they are again asked if they want to leave a tip... it's crazy how quickly my income skyrocketed. I'm beyond grateful. OH and the best part. MindBody's customer service. I was actually offered a lower rate with another company (we'll call them Circle so I don't offend the real company) but Circle was terrible. With Circle, I waited fifteen months to get the rate I was promised and I was constantly tossed back and forth in emails and phone calls as Circle passed blame and did nothing to help my business. So I checked out MindBody. And they walked me through the software, the setup, how to use it, they even showed me how to customize everything for my business! We're talking 45 minute phone calls with this awesome customer service associate (Rep- he's so calm and intelligent and researches every question you have) EVERY WEEK until I felt comfortable using MindBody. I was terrified after trying Circle, but MindBody gave me the software, the skills, the customization, the feedback- did I mention you can run reports at any time to figure profit and taxes and such?- and as of today I stand to TRIPLE my income this year. Thank God I didn't give up after Circle. Thank God I found MindBody. I realize I'm typing in stream-of-consciousness, I realize I'm beyond excited, but for a single mother of three running her own business who had learned to live just below the poverty level, to make such a leap in income, to have such powerful and professional software, to have the unwavering support and knowledge base of an entire team of people at MindBody- it's overwhelming. Miracle Software.

Pros:

MindBody customer support is AWESOME! It's the reason I stay with MindBody, though Square offers a lower rate to NCBTMB members such as myself- square's customer support is awful. In contrast stands Max Malle. Remember that name. Best customer service rep I've ever known. He and the others go above and beyond their jobs- you can feel their sincerity. Oh and I've doubled my income and am set to triple it this year because the software does SO MUCH WORK for me. It's my administrative assistant that I only pay $ a month for! It rocks.

Cons:

Hm. Well, I have yet to figure out the difference between signing someone up for a yoga class and signing them in to a yoga class, so maybe differentiating that in the program's wording would help. OH and for those of us who use our phones exclusively, not a computer, when using the software, it would be lovely if the phone programming held everything just like the computer programming does. Hmmmmm .... OH and sometimes late at night my schedule disappears completely from my phone. It shows up as blank, which is frightening, but in the morning it's back to normal. Maybe you guys are working on it then?

MINDBODY Response

5 years ago

Thank you for your review, Molly!

Terri
President in US

I've increased my business 20% in each of the 2 years I've been with MBO.

Pros:

MBO is far more than a software provider. They are my strategic business partner. They keep me current on all the technological advancements available in the market through ongoing development in the software. As well as provide the research/data analysis which helps me make sound business decisions regarding my future growth and profitability. My favorite feature is the ease of setting up the reoccurring revenue via auto pay monthly membership contracts. The other two powerful resources I use are the automated emails, retention/re-engage email marketing, and all the reporting capabilities. The day to day use of class check-in, retail sales, client account management are all features I like. Finally, the primary reason, and the one which has earned MBO the strategic partner status within my organization is summed up in on simple word support. Their world class team of dedicated technical support staff are available 24/7/365 to answer my questions, provide information and will take all the time necessary to help me resolve anything I need. The support doesn't end with the technical. Through the MINDBODY University program I've learned best practices, how to use the reports to build my sales and marketing strategies and to set my business goals. The MBU video tutorial liberty provides additional information on a variety of topics right from my desktop. MINDBODY is far more than a software provider, they are my teammates! My success is their success. Period.

Cons:

Like any partnership, there are always imperfections and areas of improvement. If I could wave a magic wand and all my wishes were granted, then this is what I would wish: a more robust set of auto email options more content for the retention and re-engage emails more functionality related to inventory the ability of change contract start dates after the contract has been activated That's about it. There are other, small quirks which can be annoying at times, but then again, nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement in any relationship.

MINDBODY Response

5 years ago

Thanks for the review, Terri! We're proud to be on your team!

William
Digital Business Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees

MindBody is on its way to becoming something great.

Comments: My overall experience with Mindbody business management has been well. Customer service is really good, each department I speak with is very helpful and informative. However, I would like to see Mindbody have a department or a program that allows businesses to collaborate with the MindBody software team, to help improve the software and help the Mindbody software team understands the types of software tools different business would need.

Pros:

I consider MindBody on the computer, and a mobile device two different software experiences. What I enjoy the most about MindBody on the computer, is the ability to resize the window, which allows you to control the amount of information on the screen. What I like most about the MindBody software on a mobile device is the ease of use, and straight to the point UI.

Cons:

What I like least about the MindBody software on the computer is the outdated feel and UI. Some menus feel cluttered, while other menus are mostly blank and could contain more information or a drop-down menu and some tabs feel hidden too. A lot of our staff members state that they can not understand the software at first glance and have a difficult time navigating the UI. Simply put, the software should be as easy as, I want to do A, B and C, and should be able to not have to dig through tabs and menus to do it. Another thing I like least about the software is location management. Our business has two locations using Mindbody, and there is not an easy eay to switch between both accounts, without having to completely log out of the account and log back into the other one. What I like least about the MindBody software on a mobile device, is the business app, it can sometimes look outdated as well. The schedule tab in day view looks cluttered at first glance. The client tab is mostly blank when it could have a "most recently added" tab, or "clients that checked in today" or "Clients that checked in this week" tab.

Noemi
Innovation Designer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Great software that is so straightforward

Comments: Overall, my experience has been great - I actually remember being excited when my current studio, OrangeTheory, switched over to MindBody, because it was something I was familiar with from other studios. So I liked the idea that I wouldn't have to be stressed about learning a whole new platform because it had been so simple when I used it previously. It would be great if more studios would use this app to establish continuity across app usage and make our lives easier.

Pros:

I love that this software updates so quickly, is responsive, straightforward, and easy to use. I have used apps for a ballet barre studio and OrangeTheory that have been powered through mind body. My experience has been great - signing up for classes has never been easier, and I love the option to see my history, how many classes I have left in my package (would like a way to see when those expire as I don't always remember billing date), what package options are available, and even instructor photos and names in case I couldn't remember that one instructor whose class I enjoyed. The dashboard is also useful as I feel it displays useful at-a-glance information and helpful tips that have actually changed my approach to the workout.

Cons:

I get that it needs to be password protected as you can buy additional classes, but in the past it's been a bit annoying to have to sign into the app - it's not always straightforward what e-mail & password I used. Would be much better with a PIN / 4 digit passcode sign in or Face ID or something. If it takes me too long to sign in, I get annoyed and do something else instead of signing up for that class. I will say, though, that recently, I haven't had to sign in too much, as my account opens when I open my app for OrangeTheory, but sometimes in the past I've gotten logged out and it's a pain to get back in.

Amy
Operations Manager in US

I LOVE MINDBODY

Comments: Overall I am happy with the product.

Pros:

I love that Mindbody allows me to keep notes on customer account history, I love how great the customer support is, when we have an issue we call and they help us immediately. I love the tutorial videos. I love that many studios and spas use this software so my previous skill set at my past employers prepared me for my current position with my current employer. I like that there are so many features and ways to fine tune the software to your studios personal needs.

Cons:

Sometimes I find it to be not very intuitive. Luckily I have worked with the software for a long time so I am lucky to know so much, but especially when training new hires it can take a while for them to get used to the features of the program. After 2 months or so I feel like they get into the groove. We want to be able to take Apple Pay.

Kari

Love them and hate them

Pros:

On the one hand, Mindbody is the only company of it's kind doing what it does. On the other hand, they make life hard some days. We used Mindbody for every aspect of business. We even used add-on products like Messenger AI and their virtual platform. While it was helpful having all of these things under one room, they all act quirky. There are days when the virtual platform doesn't work, or the AI app won't work. While it generally does everything it needs to, it comes with it's own set of headaches. One of the best things about Mindbody is their consumer app. The amount of business you will get just because someone found you on the app is significant. Mindbody has a consumer app that millions of people use worldwide. Although a pain in the ass at times, it contributed to the overall success of the business.

Cons:

The user interface of Mindbody is hard. There are times when you need to check multiple boxes, in multiple places in order to get something to work. The software itself is not intuitive. It takes a long learning curve to become successful with the software.

Mark
Marketing Operations Specialist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Great scheduling & billing tool for gyms

Comments: Pretty solid. It makes the whole billing side of the business a breeze, to the point that collecting payments is a not even a thought in our minds. Occasionally when trying to get creative with its additional features, there's some confusion that requires us to get in touch with tech support, which is hit or miss. But overall, it gets the job done.

Pros:

Mindbody makes billing a snap. It's feature-rich and allows you to easily track, bill, and segment members. It provides amazing reporting tools that shows you a breakdown of all of your members, revenue, and so on. Additionally, it provides options for single class purchases, temporary enrollments, and retail purchases. Finally, provides features for CRM & customer communication that take the customer experience to another level.

Cons:

Integration with other software is limited. I believe they have a public API, but few companies offer integrations for other software. Natively, they offer only a handful services that integrate with it well. Hopefully it'll soon be supported in Zapier, because then this will become a non-issue as Zapier would take care of any integration issues. Their tech support can be somewhat slow, at times.

Jeanette
Practice Manager in US

Expensive But Good for Some

Comments: Used this software for 5 years and had excellent results. When our locations downsized it was overkill for us. If you are willing to pay the money it is a lot of product.

Pros:

This software is perfect for those who are marketing large quantities of products or services. Very customizable. If you learn all the functions of the product it can be very helpful. Reporting is top notch. You can almost pull any metric that you can think of. Ability to link to bar code scanner. Can link multiple locations together. Can also easily transfer inventory between locations. Very good scheduling functions that are available by person or by resource. Excellent online scheduling features.

Cons:

Pretty expensive in the long run especially if you have multiple locations. You have to purchase a separate program for each location. This system can be overwhelming with all the bells and whistles. If you don't set up every product just right with reorder quantities and minimums and maximums, you cannot use several of the features. Definitely requires a very detail-oriented, intelligent person to set this up correctly.

Kara
Founder in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees

Mindbody is completely worth it!

Comments: I love MINDBODY, and feel that our continued growth is due to the fact that we use the tools to learn, and implement great strategies in our business.

Pros:

MINDBODY is the greatest all-inclusive software. Scheduling, payment processing, reporting, CRM, branded apps, widgets to make your web site look clean. This software plays multiple roles - CRM guys! That alone is such a great feature. The user interface is easy to navigate and is visually appealing. The research that the company does in our industries provide great insights. If you are looking for just a scheduling software that you can set up and schedule classes/clients, MINDBODY is probably not the greatest bang for your buck. But, if you are looking for a partner that will help you develop and grow your business, if you use the tools they give you, then MINDBODY is well worth the money.

Cons:

I don't like that we must use iPads for check in, but it's not a deal breaker. I would just prefer to have the option to use a less expensive tablet. However, I purchased refurbished iPads and got a reasonable deal.

Owner, Head Personal Trainer in Canada

Can be complicated at first, but after you ununderstand how to use it it's pretty powerful.

Comments: Alllows me to accept payments from clients with relative ease after their payment info is on their profile. Bookkeeping and tracking of all sales.

Pros:

The ability to download reports on many different stats, and further the ability to download them as different formats, like excel and pdf, This allows for easy tracking and book keeping.

Cons:

-Payment enter information for a user can be a challenge, they need to make a login and password. This is ok if they use the MINDBODY app for other health and fitness services but most of mine don't, and they don't want to make another use account. So instead I have to take their payment info by phone, when it's be easier for me to send them an electronic form to fill out and it would auto populate their client profile. -calendar is hard to use for blocking time off, for example if away on vacation etc. needs to be more like google iCal, it would be even better if it could sync with google iCal (the reverse) to see if there are any calendar appointments that would otherwise make that person unavailable at that time. calendar needs to be more adaptable and allow overlap of different things if necessary.