15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Bitwarden

Bitwarden is an open source password manager that enables users to securely store and share sensitive data with end-to-end encryption.

Learn more about Bitwarden

Pros:

Vast community and developer support. Free private version/reasonable enterprise price.

Cons:

There is no way to really organise my passwords into folders etc.

Bitwarden ratings

4.6
4.5
4.6
4.9

9.4/10

Bitwarden has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 162 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Bitwarden before?

Mark
Mark
Freelance Writer, Editor, Content Creator in US
Publishing, Self Employed

BitWarden is Robust, Feature-Packed, and Secure, Delivering a Great Product Even at the Free Tier

Comments: BitWarden is one of the most user-friendly and feature-packed password managers. The free plan offers unlimited storage, multi-device sync, and world-class encryption. It is built on open-source code and regularly audited by third-party firms for its security performance. As counterintuitive as this sounds to people not steeped in tech, transparency on the source code makes a thoroughly more reliable security product. One of my top considerations when shopping for a password manager over a year ago was cross-platform compatibility. At the time, I relied upon an iPhone and an HP Ultrabook. I didn’t want a password manager that was great on IOS phones but iffy or still in development on a PC-compatible release. Or vice versa. And I didn’t want to be locked into Chrome or Safari or any particular browser to have a good experience. BitWarden is hands-down the most platform-agnostic and cross-compatible password manager I’ve experienced, with no compromise at all to its security protocols. It also includes one outstanding bonus feature, a built-in password generator, even at the free tier. And you’re never pressured in any way to adopt the modestly priced paid upgrade version. I would recommend BitWarden to any colleague without reservation. —Mark Vanderpool

Pros:

I love the cross-platform sync and compatibility: multiple devices and different browsers are no problem.

Cons:

Autosave and autofill features could be improved, but the bumps are minor.

Tamas Hunor
Tamas Hunor
IT Solutions Engineer in US
Motion Pictures & Film, 51–200 Employees

Best password manager

Comments: Based on the price the value is exceptional. Bitwarden is part of my workflow a long time ago.

Pros:

Beside the fact that Bitwarden is completely open source and validated by security companies, it has a ton of functionality that really improves security at home and within an organization.

Cons:

I can't really tell a lot. Sometimes I had to initiate the sync manually when I had to use the password between devices, but that is usually rare.

Riccardo
Creative Director in Italy
Machinery, 11–50 Employees

Great open source password management solution

Comments: Amazing cross platform solution, also gives you the ability to create different folders in which you will be able to store selected logins.

Pros:

Complete and open source soluton for all your passwords. It is cross platform and you can use it on almost every device you own.

Cons:

If you want to integrate also 2FAs codes you will need to upgrade to a paid plan.

Martynas
Senior procurement manager in Lithuania
Shipbuilding, 501–1,000 Employees

Bitwarden short term user review

Comments: Overall i am happy i found it. Helped to manage my passwords along many devices.

Pros:

The best thing for me was to have all my passwords at one place. Don't need to remember or recover them.

Cons:

There are some drawbacks. When i log in in the new device, i always have to chose region. It is not bolded or clearly visible, so when entering password often get message "bad password". But it is because i try to log in to a wrong region account. It could be clearer. And the thing with Fitek system i mentioned before.

Josiah
Editor in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Best password manager I've used!

Comments: Great! I'm am so much more organized and secure with my information and passwords after starting with Bitwarden. It's available on every platform I need and easily setup.

Pros:

I love that it's free to get started, and the upgrade is very reasonable, if you end up needing to. I use the password generator all the time!

Cons:

Autosave and autofill work 80% of the time, which is great, but not 100%. I have had times when trying to create a new entry using the browser plugin, that I accidentally clicked off, closing the popup and losing the info I had not saved yet. This has caused frustration more often than I'd like. Editing entries can be tedious, but you are protected from messing with things you want to leave untouched.

Uwe
Interim Executive in Germany
Management Consulting, Self Employed

The password safe that I trust

Pros:

It does what it should on a very high security level. Bitwarden is developed on open-source basis. That adds an amount of trustworthiness, others don't have.

Cons:

Only on android: a better integration would help.

Johan
IT Specialist in Sweden
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Familiar and solid

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

It’s familiarity with an other open source desktop password manager.

Cons:

User management, that you have to accept a user after invitation. Collections vs folders, why not simply call it folders? And please give us owners on collections.

Belmin
Belmin
ICT Specialist & Consultant in Italy
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

My choice for password management

Comments: I use it daily for managing my password as well as licenses for some software.It works very well, it synchronizes almost in real-time and has a great browser add-on.

Pros:

Strong security and good synchronization feature.The add-on for Chrome and Edge works nicely.

Cons:

Lacking premium features and big concern about losing the main password (impossible to access without it).

Stefania
CEO and founder in Italy
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Store your passwords in a safe place

Comments: The best app for keeping your passwords safe. I have never had a single problem with it

Pros:

I like that even the free plan offers a lot of features and you do not have to upgrade to the paid one, unless you have more specific needs. The free plan allow you to store your passwords, create folders to keep them organised and also it supports autofill so you don’t even have to open the app

Cons:

I can’t find anything bad about it, maybe the fact that it’s not completely free

Engin
Supply Chain Manager in Türkiye
Textiles, 2–10 Employees

Safe but hard to use

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Safe but hard to use. I can suggest this to the people who are giving importance to passwords. Besides, you can also take notes and save them for the future. But please don't forget the password of Bitwarden.

Pros:

Security is on high level. That makes me feel safe. I also like saving any kind of my special datas.

Cons:

I also use Google passwords and Bitwarden is not active like that. When I enter new details for a website, it appears on the top to save it but it gets lost too fast and I need to be fast to catch it. I would prefer to save the data without checking and confirming all the time.

Gustavo
CEO in Brazil
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

A great surprise! Perfect!

Comments: I've been a LastPass user for a long time, and honestly, I was in a comfort zone and have never searched for an alternative, but since they put some limitations on the free account I found BitWarden and I'm pretty glad about that! It's perfect! I use it every single day and it helps me a lot! It's for sure the best (at least free) password manager! Highly recommend!

Pros:

BitWarden has everything you need in a password manager! It's easy to use and straightforward. I've been a user of another application for a long time, but I'm glad I found BitWarden because it's perfect! The browser extension works great and the mobile app do what it's supposed to do. Highly recommend!

Cons:

I would recommend some improvements on the mobile app UI/UX. It do what is supposed to do, but I think a better UI would give BitWarden some extra points.

Matt
Chief Engineer in US
Medical Devices, 2–10 Employees

Toss out your little black book and move to the future

Comments: Overall its a great password manager, I install either the app or a browser add-on onto each of my devices and any new site I create a password for is automatically synced. The ability to easily share passwords with friends, family or colleagues is also a big plus. Its amazing how often I jump on a site and bitwarden tells me I already have a password, that saves me so much time because with several hundred passwords its hard to remember what all I do and don't have passwords for.

Pros:

The fact that I have 300+ passwords and no longer have to keep an excel spreadsheet, use redundant passwords or keep a little black book around. I can access my passwords from any device connected to the internet through a web browser, app or widget.

Cons:

Overall Bitwarden is great, the biggest challenge I have run into over the course of several implementations is teaching people the new workflow to creating passwords. I wouldn't say its a downfall of the software so much as trying to kick the bad habits most people have.

Ryan
Director in Japan
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Best password manager

Pros:

This is the best password manager out there. I've used so many trying to find one that syncs across multiple devices, auto detects and fills/saves passwords, and has an inbuilt password generator. This is it. And it's amazing to see you get so much with the free version. There are some out there claiming to be the best but this is simple, intuitive, and easy to use. Very secure as well.

Cons:

None. I've never come across any issues.

Erick
Inbound Marketing Analyst in Brazil
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Come from LastPass and was hooked

Pros:

I tried many password managers and the free version of Bitwarden is no doubt the best. The migration process from LastPass was seamless and there only a few features that I miss here.

Cons:

It's not bad, but I can't make the Android app work as well as LastPass did. The autofill and autosave doesn't work as expected, but in 80% of the cases it's good enough and in these 20% situations the copy + paste solves the problem.

Patrick
PM in US
Government Administration, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Highly Secure, Flexible, and Easy to Use

Comments: Trusted solution that I have relied upon for over a year. I can provide access to others in my family.

Pros:

Great free plan to get started. Easy to understand how it protects your passwords. Browser extension and phone app make it easy to access anywhere without compromising security. Easy import/export.

Cons:

I wish the Bitwarden business model charge some small fee for the entry tier of service. It seems like they offer too much for free, which is a concern for continued operation.

Krissy
Editor in US
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

An excellent password manager.

Pros:

Simple to use, and can manage ID documents and payment info as well as passwords. The browser extension makes it easy to implement and create unique passwords for every service I use.

Cons:

I wish they allowed file uploads in the secure notes section for free accounts so I don't have to type out my recovery codes each time.

Blair
Software Developer in Canada
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Excellent password manager

Pros:

I love how fast and easy it is to add new passwords. I am also very impressed with how well the autofill works.

Cons:

I love everything about Bitwarden - I can't think of anything I don't like!

Juan Manuel
Juan Manuel
Web developer in Argentina
Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

The best place to store your keys

Comments: My experience with the program is very good, it helps me to remember the passwords on a daily basis and it helped me a lot to start using secure passwords in my accounts. The option to autocomplete the password is very convenient. I feel that in this way I am not only using better keys, but that I have them portable and in a safe place

Pros:

It is a very intuitive program, easy to install because you can use it from the desktop, the web browser or from the cell phone. It has very interesting functions such as the generation of secure keys, being able to export all your saved data or, for example, being able to create sections of different keys and also create shared folders to share keys. The self-locking system is very interesting for those people who may suffer the risk of being left open. In the case of the cell phone, you can unlock it with your fingerprint without the need to use the master key, so it makes it very comfortable to use.

Cons:

The most important against that I find, which at the same time is its greatest point, is that once you forget the password, you have no chance of recovering the account. This can be a great advantage if you are neat and have the keys well stored or a big problem if you did not save the key correctly. But this is more of a problem for the user than for the application itself.

Internet, 51–200 Employees

The best free password manager in the market

Comments: I always tought using a passowrd manager would be a hassle, but it wasn't. I've been using it for many years now and don't even give it any tought; Bitwarden is just a seamless part of my personal and professional workflows. I even suggested it to coworkers and family members who are less tech savy then I am and it worked very well for them as well.

Pros:

I absolutely love the simplicity and ease of setup of Bitwarden. It is so simple to use and is very stripped down of unnecessary features. I also love the fact that it is open source, which all security software should be in my opinion. It offers certainly the best free tier of any other provider, so if you don't intend to pay for a password manager or don't need any other advanced features, it is certainly the best.

Cons:

I believe Bitwarden lacks certain features that other providers offer in their paid tiers (and that is why I am still not a paying client). I also believe the two-factor authentication options should be more broad, as none of the ones avaliable work for me.

Justin
CTO in US
Individual & Family Services, 2–10 Employees

Open source password management that works everywhere

Comments: Secures our password usage within the company, allowing us to securely share credentials in appropriate cases. Also encourages users to better secure they're accounts.

Pros:

Password management without the commercial question marks that other tools entail. Solid functionality and active development.

Cons:

Difficult to work with multiple accounts. They're working on this - the desktop client currently supports this, but the browser extensions do not.

ahmad
researcher in Lebanon
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

BITWARDEN for a researcher

Pros:

when I switched to warden I was hesitant but from step one bitwarden was great. it managed to import all my passwords seamlessly and even managed to import the notes, the password generation is very good , and I seem to find that the software manages to autofill info for more websites that other password managers.

Cons:

what I like least about the software is that for fingerprint login you need both the chrome extension and the standalone software, it would be nice if you only needed the extension

Ivan
Office Assistant in US
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Bitwarden: The Best Option

Comments: Bitwarden became and will stay the best option in password management because of its high-level encryption, seamless transition between mobile and PC, and because it's entirely free.

Pros:

One of the pros is how easy it is to switch from other password managers to Bitwarden and have all your passwords carry over. The biggest pro is that this software is completely free and open-source, making it a more affordable option compared to more popular managers.

Cons:

The only con is that the app feels a little unpolished/glitchy at times when compared to bigger and more developed password managers, making it harder to use.

Hansen Clyde
Hansen Clyde
Software engineer in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Password Management

Pros:

Bitwarden has a good user interface and its easier to use and navigate. It syncs passwords across all devices and platforms. And it's free. It has a feature that will notify the user if the password has been found in the breach list.

Cons:

I have faced issues on my phone while auto-filling the username and passwords while using bitwarden. Certain basic features like 2FA requires you to buy a subscription.

Financial Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Best value multi-device password manager

Comments: I switched from LastPass, Bitwarden can import passwords from other software seamlessly. Over 12 months of usage, I can see it is on par with other products, it has common used features. Highly recommend it!

Pros:

It supports multiple devices and has built-in 2FA authentication. Also, Bitwarden support on-premise hosting, it helps me to comply with the organization's data policy.

Cons:

UI/UX for iOS app needs more improvements, I have to search for the credential manually when sign-in to the other apps.

Louis
Louis
webdesigner in UK
Design, Self Employed

Best password manager I've tried

Comments: I have over 500 different strong passwords registered thanks to bitwarden, and only need to remember my master password to unlock my vault. Everyone should use a password manager tool like bitwarden.

Pros:

Bitwarden easily syncs on your laptop, desktop and mobile, keeping all your passwords safe and quickly accessible.

Cons:

I wish we could create subfolders to classify the different passwords we store in the vault, and display tags on the vault.