15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Duolingo

Cloud-based learning management system that helps educators provide language training and track student's progress.

Learn more about Duolingo

Pros:

Those things are incorporated in to the lessons, yet the user almost doesn't notice because it's so well integrated.

Cons:

Sometimes the theme or words become repetitive, and even the fact that you stop accessing the application makes you go back to the beginning, this demotivates you a bit.

Duolingo ratings

4.8
4.3
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

Duolingo has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 830 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Duolingo before?

Maricarmen
Maricarmen
Strategic Designer in Mexico
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

An amazing tool for learning languages

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It is a great tool for beginners, the notifications help the user stay motivated and compromised. It is very easy to use and the ux is great.

Pros:

I love how easy and intuitive it is, it's fun to practice and it keeps me motivated.

Cons:

It can feel a little boring after some time because the exercises are the same.

Amy
IT Business Analyst in Morocco
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Learning can be fun

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Very pleasant, the first platform that allowed me to get back to learning languages, I can't thank them enough!

Pros:

I always found learning languages to be quite the chore, exams, tests and whatnot, for someone with an actual phobia of exams (long story, horrible experience in school), this is the only platform that allowed me to learn a language and not feel like I'm learning anything, the gamification is on a whole new level, Thank you Duolingo team for allowing me to learn and actually enjoy learning!

Cons:

Most users abuse the leaderboard, this is not much of a problem, all one has to do is turn their account private and learn in peace.

Patricia
Mom in US
Import & Export, Self Employed

They locked me out of settings

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Bad. After advancing in Spanish and French they don’t know how to correct the sentences. If you write a sentence that is valid and correct but not the same as the Duolingo set up. They say is wrong …..

Pros:

That It’s only for beginners when you get to an advance stage they don’t know how to handle it

Cons:

They locked me out of settings. Can’t manage my subscription. Debiting my credit card and I can’t cancel subscription !!!

Donita
Adjunct professor in US
Higher Education, 51–200 Employees

Best Language-Learning App

Comments: I have found it to be the most effective, engaging and interesting of language apps I have explored.

Pros:

It is easy to use the app. It is a valuable tool to acquire a second language, or enable me to join in a conversation.

Cons:

There are no cons in my opinion. I have tried other apps, and enjoy it the most.

Nicole
Nicole
Owner in France
Design, Self Employed

Great way to learn the basics of a new language

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

There's a great variety of languages available and I like that it offers a placement test if you're already a bit familiar with the language

Cons:

Because I'm living in countries where I'm also learning the languages on Duolingo, I'm learning at a faster rate than the application and I find I eventually get bored at the level it put me at in the beginning as I've surpassed it with real-life learning and development. So I end up stop using the app. Would love to be offered a level placement reassessment for such cases.

Mohamed
Pediatric register in Saudi Arabia
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Experience of learning

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Very recommended for those who want to learn languages

Pros:

Eay and updated way of learning languages with good outcomes

Cons:

This application is very nice not find any thing to comm6

Tess
Tess
creator in Germany
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Duolingo Review

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I love the fact that I can learn simple basic language skills on my phone.

Cons:

one has to go through many simple part before getting to the complex part of the language.

Jessy
Estudante in Brazil
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

My own experience.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: It's completely free.
Platform has a clean layout and straightforward interface, easy to use.
As it looks a lot like a game, it is quite fun and almost addictive.
It has motivation tools, such as the possibility of sharing results on Facebook, in addition to the rewards received.

Pros:

What I like most about the Duolingo app is that the lessons are like a phase. This way it doesn't get boring to learn.

Cons:

The only thing I like least is that there's no way to interact with anyone, but other than that, I think it's a good way to learn.

aarushi
Assistant article in India
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

User-friendly interface

5.0 last month New

Pros:

It is easy to use, and there are several language possibilities.It meets the needs of both beginning and experienced students.

Cons:

Although it is a great tool for expanding vocabulary and developing fundamental language abilities, it might not be enough to help with fluency on its own. Learning can be substantially improved by combining Duolingo with additional resources like immersion experiences, language classes, and practice conversations.

Kenzie
MIssionary in US
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

Awesome Learning Tool

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I love the fact that I can practice other languages to better my understanding and ability to communicate with others. It is only a short commitment per day, but can have a huge impact.

Cons:

There is nothing I do not like that I have found.

Tim
Senior iOS Developer in Austria
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Excellent start for learning languages - Tries to turn it into a game

Pros:

I dont think i've seen other learning tools and apps succeed in gamification in the same way as Duolingo. This gives a great advantage for casual learners and can help them develop basics of a language as opposed to a standard learning environment. It also provides a relatively productive way to handle 'slack time' that you may have during a bus, train or underground trip on the way to work or somewhere else.

Cons:

The software is great for casual learning. But should you become serious about learning a language to the point of intensive lessons you may find Duolingo lacking compared to a traditional course.

Rendel Anne
Teacher in Thailand
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

An Interactive place to Learn New Languages in a Fun Way

Comments: Duolingo has a knack for inspiring students. All of the app's features, including the daily tasks, leaderboards, progress reports, and peaceful atmosphere, are ideal for my passive learning style. Since the lessons are brief, I typically begin one without devoting a lengthy session to it. So far, the experience has been fantastic.

Pros:

You can enroll in a variety of language classes. The way the entire learning process is organized on Duolingo — gamified, soothing, bite-sized courses to dip into whenever, even on the road — is among its most appealing features. Everything is well-organized and simple to use, including progress monitoring, looking back at previously taught materials, leaderboards, and communities for discussion with other learners and professionals. One fantastic aspect is that anyone may start learning any language right away without spending any money and avoiding receiving any advertising.

Cons:

The program, in my opinion, is excellent for novices because it provides a solid starting point for language study. However, as you develop into an intermediate or expert level, you start to understand that the software can't really help you much more. The courses start to seem a little too robotic and calculated, which is bad if you want to advance. You will need to forego the app and experiment with different language learning strategies that provide more impromptu learning possibilities. The free version's restrictions are another drawback, but those are to be expected with any application, so we can't strictly blame Duolingo for them. In conclusion, I heartily endorse Duolingo for anyone learning a new language.

Anne
Brand ambassador and affiliate marketer in Kenya
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Best language learning app

Comments: Generally, i have had a great experience with Duolingo. I am actually still using it at the moment.

Pros:

What i like most about Duolingo is the fact that it is absolutely free and out of all the other language learning apps, it has the widest variety of languages to learn; 37 to be exact. I also like the simplicity of the app. It's so easy to use even for the most ordinary person. The way the app is designed with funny animations is so welcoming that you can actually look forward to learning a language. I also love the way the app is designed to encourage the learner to not give up even when he or she has made a number of errors. Duolingo recognizes that language learning is not easy and patience is a required virtue so when one feels like throwing in the towel, the app is there to remind you in some way that it may be challenging, but it will all be worth it in the end. With all the positive attributes that the app possesses, i believe it is a great and fun tool that can even be used by children and families not just for learning, but for spending leisure.

Cons:

What i dislike about this software is the lack of option for learning offline. I think learning should not be limited to strong internet connection. If there is a way that the software can be adjusted just a bit to accommodate learners who have poor internet connection, that would be wonderful so that learning goals can be reached faster. When it comes to the ads, there are some ads that are displayed that make me feel uncomfortable even as an adult. For instance If i was using Duolingo in public and some of these ads are shown, then people can question my character and probably any other learner's character.

Shannon
People Advisor in UK
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Learn new languages with ease

Comments: I have really enjoyed learning a new language with Duolingo, it made it accessible and fun and fit into my busy time table.I have completed one tree and now am starting a new language.

Pros:

Easy to use with helpful reminders in a busy work schedule.Lessons can be short enough to do on your break or you can do multiple, this can be managed with goals of how much you want to achieve.

Cons:

Some parts are repetitive and new ways to learn and be assessed would help with engagement and retention of people using the app.

Kimberly
owner in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Great for latin based languages, bad for others

Comments: Overall, duolingo is a fast and easy way to learn new languages. Only worth it, however, if you stick with latin based languages. If you have a need or desire to learn something unique like Russian, Ukranian, Arabic, etc, I would steer clear and go with Babble or Rosetta Stone. You won't get far with the lack of a Cyrillic keyboard, for instance. The fact they do not offer this when other language learning companies do is a cop out. I should not have to install something extra on my phone or computer. I should not have to bounce out to a separate window to formulate my text in Russian and copy and paste it into duolingo. Makes it VERY difficult to learn. I am frustrated. This is a fix other companies provide. Rise up and be better.

Pros:

Picking up a second language is really easy. The lessons are straight forward, and my Spanish has improved significantly from using duolingo.

Cons:

If a language course is going to offer languages that use a non Latin based alphabet -- like Russian, for instance, they should include a Russian keyboard. Babble does this. the lack of this keyboard makes learning clunky if not impossible. I will be canceling my pro plan until they rectify this or switching to Babble where they take the time to do it right.

Construction, 501–1,000 Employees

Fun learning with friends

Comments: It is an easy and quick way to learn a language and the free edition does suffice for me.

Pros:

The best thing about learning Spanish with Duolingo is learning with some of my friends in my contacts. We have made a subtle competition and is quite motivating. I am on the basic/free edition and it works fine for me. One of the best feature about Duolingo is that I am able to go back and review exercises I've recently gotten wrong and also listen to the ones i missed. Of course that is on the Doulingo Plus which I was trying for 14 days. It tempted me to subscribe.

Cons:

Sometimes I get wrong on most obvious expressions since it has its own sort of rigid interpretation. But i often ignore and move on.

Gavin
PhD Student in Italy
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

A great way to learn a language!

Comments: It's been a good way to ensure I keep practicing every day.

Pros:

This is a very user-friendly and fun way to begin learning a language. Of course, it cannot entirely replace either a language class or practicing speaking with others fluent in your target language, but it is a good way to begin to learn some vocabulary and grammar so that you can begin speaking confidently. It is fun to use, and provides good positive feedback. It also incentivises you to practice daily, which is critical for learning a language.

Cons:

The 'hearts' system where points are taken away for each mistake can be annoying, and you either have to pay a monthly subscription to get rid of it, or pay with diamonds (points given for successful lessons or purchased) to keep the lesson going if you run out completely during a lesson. Given it's a free service I guess this is a minor problem. Some people find the cartoon characters (Duo and friends) annoying, but this depends on your preferences I guess.

Noelia
Human Resources in Spain
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Learning languages ​​with Duolingo

Comments: I have been using Duolingo for many years for different languages. I started with English, then French and now also Italian. I use it mainly as another learning method since I can use it from anywhere at any time. I find it practical and quick to learn.

Pros:

Duolingo is great! I learn English in a fun way. Interactive exercises and short lessons make everyday learning easy. It's engaging, accessible, and a great complement to other learning methods. I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn a new language in an entertaining way.

Cons:

Duolingo is a useful tool for language learners and especially for beginners. Also for those of us looking for an introduction to a new language. But to achieve higher levels it is necessary to complement it with more complete resources, with real life practices.

Edward
business in Slovakia
Business Supplies & Equipment, Self Employed

Easy Language Learner

Comments: Was using the free version for a while and it's been great. Those ads have been realy obnoxious and feel my Spanish reading and vocab has improved a enough to order the 12 month plan. Definetely recommend full version.

Pros:

I really like the app. It is great to learn the basics. To be clear just using Duolingo to learn a language is not enough. You need other methods as well and most importantly you need to practice with native speakers. Btw, not only is their platform pleasing, fast, and fun, it works as promised! the only downside is of course the ads (and hence the 4 stars -- program and content is 5 stars for sure), but hey, IT IS FREE! IGNORING THE ADS IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY!

Cons:

Quantity of material varies among languages. And I was really enjoying the program and the motivation it provided to keep my daily usage streak going., but reporting the bug is not easy, I did my best and after 3 days they have responded. That nippers little bit.

Regina
Fundador in Brazil
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Duolingo is the best and most intuitive app for learning languages ​​the fun way.

Comments: Overall I consider it to be the best way to learn a language, both on the website and in the app. Learning is light and often you don't realize you're learning. The visual is quite beautiful and attractive, the colors, the images, audios. Learning becomes easy and the best: free of charge.

Pros:

I've been using the app for over 9 years and it was with it that I was able to learn two languages ​​and now I'm taking on an even bigger challenge, which is learning Korean. The practices are always a lot of fun, the audios and images help us to better assimilate the vocabulary and this makes learning practical and efficient.

Cons:

A negative point is the difficulty of reporting errors so that they are resolved on time. Mistakes often happen that take away a life and the answer was correct. I know the idea is to have repetitions, but I could change it for more vocabularies and even add basic expressions to improve learning even more.

Mohamed
Lecturer in Algeria
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

A Pleasant Language App

Comments: A balanced language application that certainly help language learn develop the first strokes of any language. It really builds the first pillars and thus develop your speaking, listening and writing. Though it doesn't look at your pronunciation abilities, it enriches your vocabulary in few days.

Pros:

Duolingo has an interactive way to teach you any language of your choice thanks to its dedicated line of topics that range from basic and elementary to intermediate and advanced.

Cons:

Actually, Duolingo is a vocabulary builder app, which pays less attention to grammar, spelling and mainly reading. More than that, it is somehow less formative compared to the paid version.

Melisa
Assistant Manager in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Love Duo!

Comments: I love duo! It helps me to keep learning and is fun and easy to use! I find the stories are really nice for 'real-world' applications of using the vocabulary. Honestly, highly recommend!

Pros:

Duo is so easy to use and fun! It keeps me accountable and helps me to remember words that I may otherwise forget if it wasn't for the good timing! I like that it's a quick daily lesson and that Duo sends reminders if I fall off from Daily use. User friendly, cute graphics, and most importantly useful for language learning!

Cons:

There's very little that I would list as a con with Duolingo. I use the free version so not all features are unlocked, which works for me, but you do have the option to pay to unlock more features.They give you the option to flag answers that you believe may have an error, but it does that a while for those to be reviewed.

Zakaria
computer engineer in Morocco
Computer Hardware, Self Employed

that's why i use Duolingo to learn any language

Comments: overall experience, I would say that Duolingo has such great results, and everyone should use it.

Pros:

Duolingo is a really common software to learn any language as a beginner, it has multiple versions, you can use it on your mobile, computer, tablet... Duolingo is using great technics to make learning easy for you, there are audio exercises, short stories...Duolingo has a great rewarding system, to make you really motivated to learn, you can practice any language you want anytime and there are no limits, the thing that I really liked more, that the app is always in touch with you and sends you notifications every day to remind you of your lessons, to be honest, the software is soo fun, I really enjoy it, and i use it most of my time.it has such a big impact on our lives.

Cons:

the thing that i liked least, The ads. I don't see that ads are a good idea, and i think that can be affecting people while learning and distract them.

Délcio
Délcio
English teacher in Angola
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

Duolingo is the world's best Language learning software.

Comments: My experience using Duolingo is the greatest. This is the most fun and intuitive way to learn languages. As an English teacher, I always recommend it to my learners. And they also have the greatest experience. You can trust. Try, and you will be amazed how it will change your life and language skills!

Pros:

Simple and intuitive interface, nice illustrations, and test, easy frases to complete, great learning system, and much more options. Duolingo is definitely the best software to learn a new language. I love it.

Cons:

Some ads just appear many times when you're learning on the free mode. But I think it's not a big problem. It's just a question of patience. When you don't pay, you just have to wait some seconds, while you see a new website and choose to visit or ignore. So, this is not so bad at all. You just keep learning after you skip the ads.

Dorota
Senior Frontend Engineer in UK
Renewables & Environment, 51–200 Employees

Great for getting familiar with a new language

Comments: I find it helpful to pick up the basics of a new language and don't feel completely lost in a foreign country!

Pros:

It's a fun way to kick off learning a new language. The courses are well thought and the repetition helps to consolidate the knowledge. It has a very good design and is easy to use. The community aspect is also motivating.

Cons:

The languages to learn are quite limited if my native language is not English. The progress tracking changed more than once which can be confusing. I also wish there were more in-depth explanations of some theoretical aspects.