Quickbooks Point of Sale Reviews

• Overall
    3.9 /5
    3.8 /5
    3.5 /5

About Quickbooks Point of Sale

QuickBooks Point of Sale is an all-in-one solution with the software, hardware and payment service you need to sell online and in-store

Learn more about Quickbooks Point of Sale

Weldon H.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2018

"D cent POS software for the money but definitely could be better."

Comments: It runs my business

Pros: Seamless integration with Quickbooks and fairly simple setup as well as fairly inexpensive software are the best features.

Cons: Poor search features in make a sale and goofy differences between make a sale and sales order screens make it obvious that this is somewhat of an afterthought for QuickBooks.

by Intuit on 17/07/2018

Happy Tuesday, Weldon. We love hearing about how we can improve the product, and interface suggestions are always very much appreciated. I'd be glad to pass your feedback along to the engineers directly, as they frequently review customer feedback when developing new features/enhancements. When you get a bit of downtime, please send your ideas to me in an email ([email protected]). I'll forward them on your behalf, and will keep a lookout for your message.

In the meantime, I encourage you to explore the Point of Sale Resource Center at https://quickbooks.intuit.com/point-of-sale/customer-resource-center/. There you'll find expert advice, articles, and workflow tips on the small business fundamentals, with a focus on the Point of Sale product.

Until we chat again, wishing you all the best!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 14/07/2018
Horacio C.
Product Development Asst.
1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/05/2018

"Great POS system for small business"

Pros: I bought the simple version of Quickbooks POS and it had great features for an entry business. No limits on inventory list and great tool for customer loyalty rewarding. For being a simple version, this brings a lot of handy tools to track inventory and awesome sales report.

Cons: Very laggy when filled inventory list with 1000+ items. Also, the online feature needed to be on the expensive version, so it didn't offer it like other POS systems do without upgrading.

• Reviewed on 03/05/2018
Ray D.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2018

"QuickBooks POS - not good for Retail, but anything else maybe"

Comments: I generally liked the QB POS software and what it did for us, ... but we grew out of this. Ideally this would be great for a small business that had fixed assets that didn't change and if the SBO didn't want to pour out too much money for a POS.

Pros: 1) They release a new product upgrade every other year so there is no need to update your computer software every year. The upgrades are not necessary, but upgrades to provide more features.
2) Everything is backed up to a single database file on the computer; so in the event of a computer crash as long as you're backing up the QBPOS db, you can re-install the software, re-point the db file and get going again.
3) It's easy to use and navigate.
4) Does not require internet connection if the internet goes down
5) Great reports
6) A great company, with solid reputation, with a good name brand product

Cons: 1) Customer support is great, but you have to pay for it. I learned to reach out to 3rd party companies for Support. that seemed more eager and
2) Does not integrate with an online store presence. For our online store each time someone purchased something online we had to update our instore inventory; and vica-versa.
3) The software upgrade is a little pricey for 1 upgrade. I remember it was affordable for an upgrade for me; and we only had 1 POS computer & 1 seat. If we had 2 computers it would have been more expensive.
4) Constantly trying to add new inventory and remove old inventory was kind of a hassle. If your business had fixed assets then ideally this would be a good solution.
5) If your computer crashed or you need to get a new computer, you would have to setup the new computer and reinstall the software on the new computer along with the help of QB POS Tech Support. While this in itself wasn't bad it was trying to schedule a time that they were open and the store wasn't open so I could fix this.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2018
Kimberly R.
Co-owner
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/01/2018

"Minimum expectations not met with QuickBooks POS 18.0"

Comments: Please save yourself some time/money/stress and a boatload of trouble - DO NOT USE QuickBooksPOS - go with Square, or write your own software. QuickBooks POS is a mess.

Pros: I thought it would be easily interfaced with QuickBooks Desktop. I thought it would track inventory and work well with my small business. I thought it would streamline inventory check in and pricing, and sales tax collection. I was wrong.

Cons: Literally rife with software quirks. The tax collection turns itself off at will - and the "help" line tells you it's because your software is "corrupt" - which is amazing since it's brand new, and ONLY they have been in it. It was not the "online" software, so how can it be corrupt? Be aware that the system will NOT be up and running efficiently - ever....so when they start charging you by the minute for help calls - after 60 days - they will leave you on hold for hours. I am not exaggerating - HOURS - our routine was .....1. open the shop 2. turn on POS terminal 3. Call quickbooks and spend 2 hours on line while they fix the problem of the day. Often times, it was the same problem from a week ago....Even on the way out, they screw you. so many issues with this software - built on an ancient Excel platform and they have not invested $$ to update it. And every time Microsoft sends an update, your system will crash. And every so often, it will just stop adding sales tax to stuff. And, when it is in the mood, it will freeze up and say "oops, something went wrong" on your screen. And every so often, you will have to re-boot the whole system. And you will have to check in merchandise on the sales floor because in order to check in inventory on a computer in the back room, you have to shut down the front register - and they HAVE PROGRAMMED IN A 15 MINUTE DELAY - before you can open it in the back room (sometimes it's 30 minutes). Fortunately, during this 15 minutes, they have a lovely pop up which is trying to sell you another license so you can use the software in the back room (which the sales agent told you would work, but it doesn't....). They never stop creating issues with the intention of getting you to buy another license......for software that doesn't work. It is an abject, complete disaster. DO NOT DO IT.....Don't buy their POS. It's barely functional.....Understand that I have a better than average understanding of inventory management and excel. I could not make it work. Their support people want to do reach outs and they mess with your firewall settings, and will NOT own up to the fact that the software is intentionally designed to make things difficult unless you keep paying them for additional licenses and spending time on the phone at their per minute charge. We switched to Square and have ZERO complaints. Our ONLY issues experienced with Square are directly tied back to QuickBooks POS issues - the way they have their info set up made the migration/import/export tough. Once we wiped out QBPro POS 18.0 - our lives are now peaceful. One last thing - Square payments arrive overnight - 99.9% of the time - QuickBooks delayed up to 4 days. They are holding your money. It's clearly another tactic - our bank did not change, but our processor did. Way faster and cleaner with Square POS - all around.

• Reviewed on 23/01/2018
Michael S.
Wine & Spirits, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2017

"QuickBooks Pro Point of Sale Version 12"

Comments: I've used QuickBooks Pro in my retail liquor store for about fourteen months. I don't like it, for four main reasons: First, if I'm making a sale and I notice the price of the product or the on-hand quantity is wrong the software won't allow me to make corrections from the "Make a Sale" screen. It will allow me to change the price, but the change will show up on the receipt as a "discount," and the price will remain wrong in the database. To change the price or the on-hand quantity in the database requires exiting from the "Make a Sale" function and then entering the "Item List" function. This is impractical to do when a customer is waiting to pay and get on his way. It is also inconvenient and cumbersome to switch back and forth when we are checking in replacement inventory items during business hours and we have to get out of the “Item List” and go to the “Make a Sale” function. When we had Microsoft Point of Sale we could do both functions from the same screen. Second, QuickBooks Pro will not produce a simple report showing what products were sold and how many were sold during a previous period of time, plus how many remain in inventory. I need to know this information so I can decide what items to replace in inventory. QuickBooks Pro will report all the sales during any chosen period, but obviously the same products are often sold multiple times during a day, so when I'm ordering I have to look at every transaction and consider whether to re-buy the same items multiple times, and then look at another report showing how many were sold during the past months. If you were in a business like mine you’d appreciate the difference between looking at several hundred individual transactions and looking at a single list that summarizes what was sold, how many remain in stock, and how many were sold in the past three months. I think a good POS system should be able to produce a list of what was sold in one column alongside another column showing how many remain in inventory, and a third column showing how many were sold during the previous three months or whatever time period the user would choose as a guide to decide how many of each to re-buy for stock. QuickBooks Pro will not do this. Also, QuickBooks will not let you copy the name of an item in a report, which would make reordering easier. Instead, I have to type the name of what I want when I go to the suppliers’ ordering systems. Third, it won’t handle some barcodes. There are some that’ll work in the “Item List,” but not in the “Make a Sale” function and some vice versa. Some won’t work in either function. We never had this problem with Microsoft Point of Sale. Fourth, and worst, QuickBooks drops transactions and changes the quantities of items in inventory. Every night when I do my tallies I have more money in the till than I should have for a number of sales that day as reported by QuickBooks. I’ve seen no rhyme or reason for this happening—the software just decides on its own to delete a transaction or two every day. It also decides on its own to make changes to the quantities of items in inventory, so I don’t really know how many of an item we have in stock without walking to the shelf and counting them myself. I seldom have time to do this, so I frequently order things we already have plenty of, or we run out of things and don’t notice it until a customer complains or we just see a hole in the shelf where something should go. I’ve tried to imagine a business that would be satisfied with this software. Please don’t recommend it to clients with high product turnover and many transactions to keep up with.

Pros: Poor as it is, it does keep working. It hasn't crashed yet.

Cons: See review

• Reviewed on 13/02/2017
Don H.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/12/2017

"Good software for retail sales but not as strong for food and drink sales"

Comments: Inventory management and sales transaction and history. Nice customer reward program based on sales.

Pros: Good inventory managment tied to sales. Easy to use and train. Nice variety of sales reports and profitablity.

Cons: Inability to process another transaction while waiting for a customer to provide tip info eg must complete sale including tip amount before doing anything else (taking an order, printing another receipt for tip inclusion). Cannot process transaction if the internet is down.

• Reviewed on 15/12/2017
Carole D.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/08/2017

"Too many crashes"

Pros: I liked the reports that were set up in the system. I was able to track my business easily with little effort. It was quite easy to learn to operate.

Cons: It got to the point that we couldn't trust the inventory numbers anymore. It was spitting out numbers that were questionable based on given facts. We changed to a web based program so we could access it from anywhere.

• Reviewed on 11/08/2017
Mia W.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2018

"Easy Use"

Pros: Very Easy to use and love that I can export to excel. Reports are usually easy to use. I like that open invoices are lined up and clumped together

Cons: I dont like that every time I open QB it doesn't go to home page, I have to close out of everything I worked on

• Reviewed on 26/02/2018
Nitika K.
Studio Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2018

"Quickbooks is easy to use and takes care of all of our payroll needs"

Pros: I like that it is easy to use for someone who is not an accountant. It is easy to categorize vendors and employees. It is easy to pull all kinds of reports to stay on top of finances. It is also easy to track various bank accounts in one place. I just love it!

Cons: There isn't much I don't like about this software. There is some functionality such as the vacation pay that could be a little more user friendly I feel. We have employees who get paid a set amount of vacation a year and by hours they work. And we found it a little confusing to set up. But, it did get set up.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2018
Jack H.
Recruiter
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/03/2018

"Best Accounting Software"

Pros: it was a very easy-to-use platform that was an all-in-one bundle of scheduling tools, customer profile tools, invoicing etc.

Cons: Price, seems high but for everything it does it was worth it. Saved me from using an accountant and paying someone else to keep my books.

• Reviewed on 15/03/2018
Roxana V.
Billing owner
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/06/2018

"Easy to use"

Pros: Great for small businesses and easy to use. Makes it easy for you to manage your invoices and payments from clients. The app is amazing because you can send invoices to your client within seconds. I highly recommend it for small business and huge business.

Cons: I would say nothing because it is simply easy of use and user friendly. I cannot say anything negative about this.

• Reviewed on 08/06/2018
Joe H.
Recruiter
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/03/2018

"Affordable retail software"

Pros: one best thing i can say is it is very much affordable. and one of the best retail software to process invoices.

Cons: It is a challenge when we have to enter discounts and breaks in the system to calculate arithmetical values.

• Reviewed on 28/03/2018
Regan F.
Administrative Assistant / Website Design / Social Media
Building Materials, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/05/2018

"Not good for small business!!!"

Comments: It is just not the best for smaller businesses especially since every few years they tell you you have to pay to continue using but OH! they're giving us a 50% discount for being customers already. Sorely disappointed in the position they have pushed us into. The cost is not a small sum for small businesses.

Pros: Yea it has a lot of features, but whether you use them or not you are paying for them. Quickbooks has been great for our business besides the crazy charges they demand.

Cons: Being forced to pay every couple years for the same service just because they "fixed" a few things. That is not how to treat loyal customers

• Reviewed on 08/05/2018
Martin M.
SYSTEMS ADMIN
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2019

"Quickbooks POS"

Comments: I would suggest that you make this software more integratable to other financial software

Pros: It's easy to use especially for those who are new to point of sale software. Support many POS hardware such as cashdrawers, printers and bar code readers

Cons: You cannot fully customize provided user interface. Custom functions cannot be added, you can only propose and wait for next release

• Reviewed on 08/02/2019
Debbie C.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2020

"Great for on the go Sales"

Comments: I really like QB POS. It has been with us for several years and I wouldn't change to any other product.

Pros: I can use this product on my laptop when we go to a conference and sell on the floor. My items are bagged and bar coded to scan right into POS. I can set it for different states sales tax and set up specialty pricing.

Cons: I can't run a report with out sales tax and it doesn't always download into my QB's, so I have to manually enter my sales from when I was selling on the road.

• Reviewed on 19/05/2020
Alicia L.
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees

"Quickbooks pos"

Comments: Great in general but not if you need to do things like split commission or appraisals.

Pros: Very easy interface and quick to use. User friendly. Integrated credit card usage and easily connects to excel, our tag printer and our scanner.

Manager of HSSE
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2017

"For payment of Jobs that have been completed"

Pros: Easy to use Mobile app allows you to get payment on the spot and in the field without having to wait on customers to review and pay off of invoicing that has been mail or emailed. Payment is tracked and update in software which allows me to see my banking in real time.
Customer support is hands down top of the line.

Cons: The software is missing some valuable features that most companies require which may cause you to find an alternative software option.

Kara J.
Consumer Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2017

"I don't use it as much as my accountant uses it."

Pros: It is somewhat easy to use. I don't use it enough to say that much about it. I just the Profit and Loss statement

Cons: What I like least is that you HAVE TOO update and purchase new software every few years or you will not be able to do any downloading. Plus you have to buy the whole thing again, but its just updated.

• Reviewed on 16/05/2017
Amanda M.
Business owner
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2018

"QuickBooks is always professional"

Pros: QuickBooks has always been professional and easy to use, functional to fix mistakes if you make them.

Cons: Being a small business...everything is really expensive, but at the same time balancing out the convenience of paying for some of the extra functions.

• Reviewed on 29/12/2018
Carolyn C.
Wireless, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2018

"Trial User"

Pros: Fast Input of information, Invoice information input was good, price for beginners was right. And it was free.

Cons: Would not let me input my information for using a business checking tied to prepaid card. Must have a checking account only

• Reviewed on 09/10/2018
Sam P.
Retail
  • Reviewed on 09/06/2016

"good but could use more something more retail friendly for my situatio"

Pros: The Reports. It is easy to see what we've sold and in many different ways

Cons: How long it takes to check a customer out. There are 3 screens before a recipt can be printed and when it is printed it has to be a whole sheet of paper.

• Reviewed on 09/06/2016
Tori M.
Volunteer Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2019

"Quickbooks for nonprofit"

Pros: QuickBooks was easy to use to put in our donation amounts and charge donors

Cons: Sometimes the interface was hard to understand for new hires

• Reviewed on 05/04/2019
Allen V.
Sales rep
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/10/2016

"Great program"

Comments: I loved it simple easy to use and what i like it does multiple things at once

Pros: Creating orders,adding items.

• Reviewed on 19/10/2016
Dan G.
IT Consultant
  • Reviewed on 05/06/2018

"Nice software for getting the job done but can be slow at times"

Pros: It offers a full feature point of sale product. It's ability to integrate with inventory and accounting make is a plus

Cons: Performance tended to suffer as more user got on. Also managing and recovering from backups was not always easy.

• Reviewed on 05/06/2018
Shannon M.
  • Reviewed on 09/12/2016

"QB POS is great for small businesses"

Comments: I have many clients using QB POS. It is easy to teach and use. The integration with QB is seamless. Great for retail businesses. Not recommended for restaurants.

• Reviewed on 09/12/2016