• Overall
    4.7 /5
    4.4 /5
    4.6 /5

About Notion

Notion is the all-in-one workspace for notes, projects, documents, and collaboration.

Learn more about Notion

Ricardo O.
Academic Instruction Designer
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2021

"The ultimate make-it-your-own knowledge system"

Comments: Notion works well as an organizer of all things knowledge. In our school we use it to organize term and weekly planning, as a bookmark manager, and also to publish certain content for students in a "fenced" environment.
This app can easily replace many other apps if the user knows what their specific needs are.
Highly recommended.

Pros: Flexibility: Notion can be whatever you want it to be. Some folk use it to take notes, other people find it a great meeting organizer. I use it as a master database of all things work and personal: tasks, notes, calendar reminders, bookmark manager... You can program it to suit your needs. It is highly advisable to model in paper what is it that you want from Notion.

Cons: Notion is a very closed ecosystem. I would love it to synchronize with Google Calendar or for it to talk nicely. to Gmail. Not an option right now.
The calendar view can benefit from a "weekly" or "agenda" view.
Offline work is still a work in progress.
Can become difficult to use if databases are not planned properly.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2021
Digital Strategist
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2021

"Great collaboration, documentation and task management tool"

Comments: We love it on our team and would be lost without it. If we were to lose Notion, we would have to replace it with several other tools.

Pros: Notion is robust enough that we can store our documentation here, share with the whole team and manage our meetings and project tasks all in one place. If there's something to do, we know where to find it.

Cons: Formatting text is somewhat limited, but fine most cases. The mobile apps are very convenient but some of the features for iPad do match up to the desktop experience.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2021
Founder and CEO
Venture Capital & Private Equity, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/04/2021

"It really can be your "second brain""

Comments: I was able to combine what had been multiple SaaS tools into Notion, which is a major time saver when it comes to search and connecting data. I fear, however, having all my eggs in one basket. People have said when their internet is off, they cannot work. With multiple tools, you have less risk, if one is down you can use another. It'd be good of Notion worked offline and synched (like Evernote), but I imagine due to the highly collaborative nature of this software that might be technically unfeasible.

Pros: Many people call Notion a way to create your "second brain" in that you can capture, collect, manage, and retrieve literally anything.

Cons: Steep learning curve. I've watched hours and hours of how-to training videos on YouTube and I still feel like I've got a long way to go to master the use of this tool.

• Reviewed on 07/04/2021
Elliott W.
Music, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/04/2021

"The everything app"

Comments: I keep finding new and better ways to support my workflow using Notion.
I'm currently moving my task and project management into there (using the system that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] teaches on his YouTube channel), and this is really exciting for me.
I'm a musician, teacher and conductor, and one of the great things here has been developing a database of scores and pieces, so I include data based on my own criteria, as well as just collecting links to articles and recordings etc. I was able to use it for much of the admin in teaching a band program, as well as lesson planning and assessment. A particular strength in that was an inventory of equipment, as well as the sheet music library. This was great because more details could be included specific to one type of item without cluttering up the main list of equipment. e.g. I can list how many guitars we have overall in the main list, but then within the Guitar entry include specific details on the make/model/quantity/condition within that page. It can be a bit overwhelming and get a bit cluttered if you don't have a system. But the fact that everything is a page (including every entry in a database) means that over time you can work out what structure and system works for you, rather than one imposed on you from the outside. This is great, but it can require some thinking and time to set up. It saves you time in the long run, and can make your knowledge management (for personal, professional, or leisure use) really amazing.

Pros: The ability to make everything a database, and link relationally is so powerful, and implemented in an easy to use way. But when jumping in for the first time, you can just start with notes, images, in a familiar hierarchical setup, so it is very accessible. You can present the databases in a table, list, board (kanban) or gallery style (probably more), and put views to each database in any page. This has the power to do almost everything, but it's easy, reliable, it looks great and I can get it any device or web. Over time I've found new ways to use it and set it up for my daily life and workflow.

Cons: There are some minor features that I'd like to see added, but over time I have seen Notion adding features I previously wanted, plus lots I didn't know I wanted (and lots that are probably relevant to other users but not to me personally). But in terms of functionality, I wouldn't bother listing them here, because I am pretty sure that the main ones will eventually be added! In terms of interface, the support for on screen keyboard on Windows, and sometimes typing things in on Android can be inconsistent and annoying. I'd love to see features to add in ink drawings or annotate images, so that I can use my stylus on my windows convertible laptop more easily. This would probably remove the last couple of use cases for OneNote that I have.

• Reviewed on 13/04/2021
Alson K.
Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2020

"Notion has completely replaced my notebook!"

Comments: Overall, Notion is an indispensable app for our company. I've even started to use it for my personal life and side projects. It's really the best note organization app in the market.

Pros: The beauty of this application is that it can fit whatever requirements you would need from a notebook. You can define your own templates, you can define how every page looks. You can. even define who can view what you wrote. Organization is a breeze with the number of pages you can nest under each other. We have found that opening a page for each project works best.

Cons: There is simply no cons for this software! My colleagues and I use it every day without fail. We even share pages of it to our clients.

• Reviewed on 09/01/2020
UI/IX Designer
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2019

"Best note-taking app of 2019"

Comments: I use Notion daily to organize my personal life and mainly my company. Nowadays we are using Notion Kanban view to organize our clients, and this is app does it perfectly! You can share with your clients some determined information and hide the rest to not overwhelm them with extra information, this is one of its best features. This app has too many amazing features to point out in one review.

Pros: The ability to organize an insane amount of data without losing control or missing information. Also, it is easy to learn and understand how the interface works.

Cons: The mobile version has some bugs, definitely needs some specific improvements.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2019
COO
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/11/2019

"One tool to rule them all"

Comments: It changed the way I used to plan for my personal life and work. I can sketch an idea or take a quick note and then give them a structure. This is absolutely stunning.

Pros: Can I say everything? Notion it's an absolute game changer in the productivity tool industry. It comes like a note taking app but has all the tools you need to turn it into whatever you need to manage your life and work. The thing I absolutely love is how easy it is to configure it to your needs while you are using it!

Cons: Actually it lacks integration with other softwares, so it cannot be the automated hub for al your task juggling. Moreover the Android app is a little slow and the offline mode is not the best.

• Reviewed on 26/11/2019
Jason L.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 03/01/2020

"Notion is promising and surprising"

Comments: I like the multi-user sharing function, so I can collaborate with people when working on documents. The live updates of people making changes via email is most helpful. I can see when a change was made and what it is. Overall, there are investing alot into basics and wow-factor. In terms of more complicated features, there is much catching up.

Pros: I use Notion daily to track my personal finances. I like how fast, reliable, and well built the product is. There is alot of thought gone into developing it, such as the use of shortcut commands, emojis for fun, and there is a whole lot of advanced functionality that I have not had the time to explore yet. In terms of the Wow effect, it is definitely comparable to Things 3. However, I think there is still a long way to go for it to have full-fledge features as compared to incumbents like Evernote or Airtable.

Cons: I dislike how Notion can sometimes be too generic. I wonder if Notion segments its users, and give advanced tools for people using Notion for certain purposes. Sure it's great for note taking such as having the browser extension or documentation (which I am a fan of) but there are certain features that seem to be lagging behind. For starters, creating and formatting a table is a horribly hard process. It's nowhere near Google Sheets or Excel. So for people using Notion to do more table, number or finance-related functions, it could be a challenge. It can take a page out of Slack's book, and offer more integrations for features they do not want to replicate.

• Reviewed on 03/01/2020
Erick C.
Marketing Analyst
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2020

"Notion was great, now, after the personal plan limit removal it's awesome"

Comments: I really love it. Gave my life organization, a really needed dashboard to concentrate most of my things.

Pros: Don't get me wrong, I know there are situations where a dedicated software is needed, but for many people, that only needs a note keeper, a simple kanban or task list, Notion is perfect. Since the removal of the limitation on personal plans, Notion is my go-to app for organizing my life that was scattered back then. I simply love it.

Cons: The personal plan is perfect for me, but I miss the possibility of inviting friends or my partner to collaborate in some pages. Also, for being so many things at the same time, it has some kind of learning curve compared to competitor like One Note, Trello or Evernote which are somewhat intuitive.

• Reviewed on 25/09/2020
Main editor
Industrial Automation, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/08/2020

"Steep curve of learning"

Comments: It's a good application to share a knowledge base between coworkers. Even you can use it to "stitch" together documents in other services (like a Table of Contents). The ability to create multiple kinds of text (code, toggle blocks, to-do lists...), and the databases to organize info makes it useful for multiple sectors (marketing, developers, etc.). Even you can start with example templates and start to learn if it fits your needs.

Pros: You can use it from the first minute to take rich notes. It has a lot of features that lets you create a rich wiki-style knowledge repository. Then you can learn about its quite powerful database system, that lets you use pages as database rows, to organize your info in rows and columns. It has good integrations with Google Drive and other systems, so you can embed documents from other sources.

Cons: It lacks an API or other system that lets you connect with other apps, create actions though buttons and similar things. As of Aug 2020, they say they're developing an API. Some tricks and features of the app are difficult to understand or discover (tiny details with databases and so). Team plans are a little expensive (and not clearly explained) if you want to use more than one workspace per user.

• Reviewed on 06/08/2020
Thibault L.
Customer Success Manager
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2019

"Notion is so powerful!"

Pros: Notion has become the most important place to store business information from company handbook, to projects, to personal notes, to business information, to spreadsheets and Kanban boards. It is THAT flexible!

Cons: Since we use it for everything at work, it can sometimes be difficult to find the right information. Another improvement would be better/faster sync and offline support on the iOS mobile apps.

• Reviewed on 18/06/2019
Nantia K.
UX Designer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2020

"great knowledge base tool"

Pros: At first, I was disappointed by the limitation of blocks and was ready to move to another tool, but I was caught in the middle of the process and returned to Notion after unlimited blocks were allowed for free users. I also think it would be a great collaboration tool. I like the variety of tools it has and some integrations which are helpful. But most of all, I love the fact that I can instantly access from any device and make changes that I can then review from my desktop. one of the latest updates helped a lot, as the app got a bit lighter and my mobile could finally handle it.

Cons: As I was trying to copy multiple blocks and paste them at another tool, I right-clicked and there was no option of copy! Instead, I used the cmd+ and did the job. It would also be helpful if there were Sketch, Marvel, and Airtable integrations. And there is a thing that annoyed me at first but I guess I got used to it: the large white spaces at the right and left of the screen.

• Reviewed on 26/08/2020
Eva K.
Program Manager
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2020

"Where have you been all my life?"

Comments: I got Notion when I first moved into project management. I love it. It's not has heavy as SmartSheet or as cumbersome as OneNote. It's also not a primary project management tool, in my opinion. But it's a great tool to have alongside my SmartSheet instance. Excellent for meeting notes, task tracking, building proposals and having templates at the ready.

Pros: It's like OneNote in that it's extremely powerful and feature rich. But far more user friendly and intuitive. Not to mention, the interface is great. I love how easy it is to customize and build any kind of document/structure I can imagine. And collaboration is pretty nifty too. Great perks for recommending folks that sign up.

Cons: The only thing I had any trouble with was understanding the storage/size limits on the free version. It's not super clear what a "block" is. But you can gauge it once you start building content. I haven't looked recently to see if documentation has been updated to better explain.

• Reviewed on 05/05/2020
Freelance Consultant
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2020

"State of the art documentation tool and knowledge base for small teams"

Comments: It's just a fantastic collaboration tool overall. It makes collaboration within small teams accessible, easy and fun.

Pros: I frankly don't know where to start. I'm usually very skeptical about tools that are as hyped as Notion but this tool deserves all the hype and positive reviews it gets. Simply put: Notion makes documenting and organizing documents simple. Very simple - and even fun. To the degree that people are more likely to start documenting themselves. Please note that I could only observe this with smaller teams so far.

Cons: The only con I can think about, as of today, is the absence of any API-access. But as far as I'm aware, this is already on Notion's roadmap.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2020
Engagement Strategist
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2021

"Flexible and simple"

Comments: Notion is a nicely designed collaboration tool, but because each of its individual options aren't as fleshed out as alternatives, my team seldom uses Notion. We almost always use the best-in-class options even when Notion might be slightly more convenient.

Pros: Notion lets you do a lot of basic tracking and data and document management all from the same simple interface. It's a lot like Google docs but with a cleaner interface and way fewer clicks required to do what you want.

Cons: Some of Notion's document types don't have the full functionality you need—e.g. their spreadsheets don't compare to Excel or Google Sheets, and their Board template isn't as fleshed out as Trello.

• Reviewed on 10/02/2021
Deepa P.
Product Marketer
Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"Multii-functional software we're using across teams"

Pros: - We're using Notion for so many things -- everything from technical product documentation, to managing user research pipelines, hiring pipelines, to project management.
- Love how easy it is to mix different blocks -- the tables have been game changing for us
- Love the small, delightful features like dark mode, ability to use different colors, icons/photography

Cons: - I think the tables would ideally be more robust -- for example, we're still hosting dashboards in Airtable because they have a really great CSV upload feature, whereas notion doesn't
- Need better track changes capability. I still have to use Google Docs for copywriting because it's too difficult in Notion to track changes & comments

• Reviewed on 14/05/2019
Rita M.
business analyst
  • Reviewed on 12/01/2021

"Great for team collaboration and keeping track of meetings/documents"

Comments: highly customizable, great UX and UI, makes task management seamless and easy. The emails from the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to announce new features are amazing!

Pros: Great User experience, we all love Notion, it is one of the greatest product we use.

Cons: nothing Notion is really good for everything a team can need

• Reviewed on 12/01/2021
Joey B.
Account Executive
Staffing & Recruiting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2019

"One of the best productivity tools you can have!"

Comments: Absolutely wonderful, I use it to organize my life!

Pros: Love the endless customizations that you can do with this product! Create a template for literally anything and organize it however you like!

Cons: sometimes it can be too blank a canvas, but they are slowing growing their template library to help with inspiration!

• Reviewed on 04/08/2019
Software Engineer
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2019

"Best note-taking app I have used so far."

Comments: I use Notion mostly to organize my thoughts and meeting notes. Their block system is what makes Notion standout with other products. Since Notion has multiple block types, I have the flexibility to insert whatever I need into the note.

Pros: Has markdown support, this is the selling point for me.
Slash command is one of the most used feature for me. Typing without leaving the keyboard is great, however, it doesn't always work.

Cons: Keyboard shortcuts do not always work. Some commonly used keyboard shortcuts (like adding new page, navigating between pages, etc) are missing from the web version.

• Reviewed on 16/12/2019
Associate
Program Development, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2019

"Love love love this product"

Pros: All time favorite! Love the fresh UI, intuitive design (things are where you expect them to be), and helps you stay organized and in fact, has contributed to my productivity—helping me establish a plan rather than procrastinate by trying to create a plan. Lots of customer-indicated functionalities (esp calendar view, list views of notes that allows you to filter and sort, etc.)

Cons: Nothing big. I absolutely love it. It can be very slow sometimes, and other times it randomly logs me out, but still worth it given how great the use cases are.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2019
Eric D.
Student
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/09/2019

"Good for personal productivity/webapp, inadequate for students"

Comments: I use Notion to document my life/work and design my work space. Notion does this really well and I really enjoy it. I find it frustrating that I cannot write inline math in text blocks since I am an engineering student. It is a good experience overall.

Pros: I love this software because it has many tools that I can use to monitor my health and work. It's very well designed and pleasant to use. I use it for a note documenting, journaling, and creative work showcase. This app has the potential to be the best app overall. Furthermore, the app is free for college students!

Cons: As a college student in the engineering field, I need to document a lot of equations. It is nice that Notion has equation blocks. However, I am unable to write inline math in text blocks. Writing equations in a block and commenting/annotating the variables in the equations in the text blocks is an essential tool for engineers. When Notion integrates the functionality of inline math in text blocks, it would be a perfect app for all students.

• Reviewed on 27/09/2019
Lexie T.
Producer
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2020

"I’m in love!"

Comments: I love Notion, and now am holding classes with my colleagues to teach them how to love it too

Pros: I was very hesitant to use this software after our company implemented it, but now I’m in love! The range of functionality in it is really amazing. I no longer need to use 20 different Google Sheets and Google Docs to track projects with my team. Now I just need a Notion board.

Cons: It was a little confusing to understand at first, and the “relations” function isn’t necessarily intuitive. But once you understand the function it’s extremely helpful.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2020
Matthew H.
Account Manager
Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2020

"Can do just about anything you can imagine"

Comments: Fantastic

Pros: Can do just about anything you can imagine. I replaced Trello Boards, Confluence type of documentation, Onenote, Todoist, Meetings, Databases, everything. The block style formatting takes a few minutes to get used to, but once you are in the groove you cannot be stopped. I use this tool for just about everything now. Sure it takes me a bit to type things up, categorize it, ect, but my productivity is way up now

Cons: Would like if there were an easier way to export it into Word or into a format that could easily be pasted into Outlook as many things I Notion require an email. Or have an outlook plug type of thing.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2020
Randolph J.
Pastor
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/03/2021

"Greatest app ever"

Comments: Notion is amazing. It’s the best productivity app ever. If you are a student, you get amazing deals as well.
You can store just about anything on it. The templates help me be very efficient.

Pros: I can write a book about how great it is. It’s my favorite app of all time and I have practically my entire life on it.
It’s project management at its finest. The templates are great and you can use them to save time on making your own.

Cons: I don’t have many cons about this app. If I have to find one it will be the easy text are copied into you tabs. They are always separated by points so what may look like a paragraph being separated you will realize they are separated and cannot be compiled together.

• Reviewed on 07/03/2021
Jane c. D.
Assistant Professor
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2020

"Perfect workspace"

Comments: Notion has provided a single platform for storing and organizing all of my information - both personal and professional.

Pros: What I like most about Notion is its ability to accommodate various kinds of information in a single page. I really like being able to write using plain text as well as formatting and in the same page embed a link, image, or document. The powerful databases also help to keep all of my pages, files, etc.. organized. I also like all of the templates that are available for use.

Cons: The learning curve is pretty steep. As powerful as the app is it takes a lot of time to learn all of the features and capabilities before you can truly enjoy all that it can do.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2020