15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Dameware

Easy to use and affordable remote control and remote IT administration tool for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.

Learn more about Dameware

Pros:

This avoids confusion with users that like to change systems without notifying IT. Dameware has a great integration with Solarwind's WebHelpDesk.

Cons:

What I do not like is that when I keep an organized list of end point machines, it keeps losing my machine names and mixing them up.

Dameware ratings

4.2

8.6/10

Dameware has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 248 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Dameware before?

Oil & Energy

Well, its far better than RDP, VNC, or Teamviewer. But it has room for improvement.

Pros:

It works well. I starting using the product in 2006 after we had an issue with a VNC install getting brute-forced. No more VNC for me. What led me to the product was honestly frustration with the licensing model that Team viewer uses, and also their recent hack. Team viewer makes you buy the product, every SINGLE version release. You can't buy maintenance and support in perpetuity. Yes, on domain, its a great product. You can access management tools, run remote commands, and loads of of admin functions. Fortunately they also license per tech, so that cuts down on end user fees.

Cons:

I want single sign on. Honestly, that would really improve the product. We have many remote sites with satellite only. I really wish I could throttle down the bandwidth demand and sacrifice screen quality.

Misty
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Dameware is worth the investment.

Comments: I went into this with a need-to-help communication with clients. But unknowingly this purchase has brought so much more then I thought. Asset management, ticket management, end-user tracking, remote desktop, and more. Also, the vast amount of documentation they offer is amazing. Tech support has always been [sensitive content hidden] on the spot as well. So it's worth the investment.

Pros:

When supporting a big network or if you support a bunch of different networks and users this is a good investment to keep organization easy. Ticket management and ticket dashboard are so much easier to use than other ticket systems I have seen. I can keep the ticket creator updated on every step of the ticket and prevent that extra step of reaching out to the user.

Cons:

The cost is not great but it is worth it down the road when you utilize all the functions.

Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Dameware is a robust and versatile remote access tool

4.0 last month New

Pros:

I've been using Dameware for a while now, and I must say, it's been a game-changer for my IT support work. Here’s a breakdown of my experience with it: What I Love: Easy to Use: The interface is very intuitive. Even if you're not super tech-savvy, you can find your way around without much hassle. It’s made my remote management tasks so much simpler. Versatile Remote Access: Dameware covers all the bases when it comes to remote access. Whether I need to take control of a user’s desktop, transfer files, or manage system settings, it has all the tools I need. Supports Multiple Platforms: I work with a mix of Windows, macOS, and Linux systems, and Dameware handles them all seamlessly. This cross-platform support is a huge plus for me. Strong Security Features: Security is always a concern with remote access tools, but Dameware’s multi-factor authentication, smart card login, and encryption give me peace of mind. I know my sessions are secure. Scales Well: Whether I'm supporting a small team or a larger group, Dameware scales effortlessly. It adapts to my needs as they grow, without any performance issues.

Cons:

What Could Be Better: Setup Can Be Tricky: The initial setup and configuration can be a bit daunting, especially if you’re dealing with a large network. It took me some time to get everything running smoothly. Pricey: Dameware isn’t the cheapest option out there. For smaller businesses or those on a tight budget, the cost might be a bit steep. However, I believe the features justify the price. Resource Usage: During remote sessions, I’ve noticed that Dameware can be a bit resource-intensive. It’s not a deal-breaker, but it’s something to keep in mind, especially on older systems.

James
IT Infrastructure Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Survey does not work, IE or FireFox you cannot click on the stars, kinda speaks to the software.

Comments: There are no benefits to this software anymore. There are so many other vendors with much better software that cost a lot less. Licensing model for this software is the worst. We are differently looking at other software and will make the change as soon as possible. This goes for our other SolarWinds software too. No support, no updates, no fixes, just a phone call every month on buying stupid add-ons or lets renew 2 years early and save 10%. OMG just stop.

Pros:

Not much now-a-days. Since SolarWinds took over the software the software has lost all development. SolarWinds only goal with this software is to make money. They do not support it, to not take suggestions, and do not fix the problems that still plague the software since the day they took over.

Cons:

Since SolarWinds took over the software the software has lost all development. SolarWinds only goal with this software is to make money. They do not support it, to not take suggestions, and do not fix the problems that still plague the software since the day they took over. Extremely over priced and licensing is still broken. Complained about this for years, but SolarWinds will not fix it because they only care about making money not making the software work with the licensing. The competitive software is becoming more and more attractive. 1/10 the price, for life, and they have added the features everyone wants. Plus they want to hear from you on how to make it better. Another CON too many sales staff, I think I have been contacted by 20 different people in the last 3 years, are you kidding me, one person that is all we need. But again SolarWinds is only geared to make money nothing else. Update: After you click submit then the stars are enabled to be clicked on.

Charles
System Administrator in US
Computer & Network Security, 5,001–10,000 Employees

A secure program that gets the job done.

Comments: Over all, my experience with DameWare has been great. It lets me get my daily job done, let's me fix issues my users are having without having to go all over campus to track down each user, which means I can get more done in a day. The chat feature while you are doing a session is also fantastic especially if phone calls are not an option.

Pros:

Love how easy it is to use. Am able to get a session started with in a few seconds of opening the application. I use this program daily, and would not be able to get done what I need to do without it. Love that it allows me to see from the customers perspective while still having access to the admin token if needed for elevated action.

Cons:

It does seem to have issues with screen resolution on newer monitors/monitors that high higher resolution such as 2k. You have to take a few extra steps to force the lower resolution perspective, which, although isn't all that often we run into it, it is annoying that we have to disconnect from the session to apply those changes and then log back in.

Abdullah
IT Support Enginer in UK
Staffing & Recruiting, 501–1,000 Employees

Amazing simple Support Tool

Comments: Pretty happy with the Tool due to it's simple interface

Pros:

Simple to Use and pretty robust. Never had any issues with it

Cons:

Due to being simple you get less features than other remote tools e-g Bomgar

Sergey
Sales Engineer in Russia
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Dameware review

Comments: Good product

Pros:

This SW helped solve many issues with my laptop. You need only inform to IT your IP.

Cons:

Not all SW you can install or correct through it. There are some SW in corporate laptop you need connect to corporate network directly.

Mike
Mike
Director of IT and Telecom in US
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Dameware was great, now it's a pain

Comments: Overall we were very happy with the cost savings versus LogMein. It's not as robust as LMI, but it does what we need it to do (remote control, command prompt, file transfer, multi-screen support) and to support over 100 computers with two concurrent use licenses, about $1100 a year. However, now every tech has to deal with getting a code sent to their desktop app or phone before they can remote into any of OUR computers. As a feature we could enable, fine. Forced on us - unacceptable!

Pros:

Cost structure. I can license by the tech, not by the computer. And the cost is not that high per tech (concurrent use licensing model). Remote control of client computers is easy and works well. File transfer also works well. Fairly full featured, especially in this price range.

Cons:

Dameware (SolarWinds) now requires two-factor authentication (mandates!) for me to remote into my own computers. My authentication methods for access to my computers is my business. This is very dictatorial and heavy-handed, and it makes no sense. My credit union does not mandate two-factor authentication, but Dameware does?! I would think twice about deploying this product at this point. It's hard to place such an agent on every computer you wish to remote into. I'm pretty much stuck at this point, with over 100 computers I would have to touch. I may yet switch products though, SolarWinds is not customer-centric at this point.

Gatuko
Accounting Manager in US
Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

An Amazing Remote Support Solution For Business

Pros:

It is the best I have used for remote support and IT ticketing It makes working remotely easy thanks to its many supporting features Comes with great help desk features

Cons:

No major concerns with Dameware as it meets the need.

Leon
Leon
Technical Manager in South Africa
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Dameware a powerfull IT Infrastructure, Support, Maintenance and configuration tool set.

Comments: Dameware is a Powerful, comprehensive and secure IT support tool with remarkable remote connection capabilities that is easy to use and real value for money.

Pros:

Its ease of use, scalability and powerful functionality

Cons:

Integration with third party Service Desk software as well as remote platforms supported is limited.

Jeremy
IT Director in US
Mining & Metals, 51–200 Employees

An essential tool is every admins arsenal

Comments: I can be connected to multiple PC's at once including servers, with full console level access. I can lock the remote mouse and keyboard. Dameware Remote Support has allowed me to be in many places at once. End user support experience is great, and server support is good as well. I can select multiple domains and setup favorite machines, for those trouble spots we all know we have. The ability to have access to the registry, logs sessions and shares and much more has enabled me countless hours saved.

Pros:

The licensing is good. I get to install on my desktop and laptop as one user license. It is Active Directory connected so you have easy access to every client on your network including servers. You get full console level control, plus other features like being able to from the Remote support console stop services, look at event logs and even run remote command line scripts.

Cons:

The graphical emulator is flaky on certain older video cards, there is no outside in remote support like LogMeIn. From the inside out you can get to clients and from inside to inside you are good, but if i am on the road or on vacation and wanted to for example use a connection with out vpn access, LogMeIn provides me a way in, Dameware does not.

Wade
Director IT in US

This is a great piece of software, easy to use and full of features.

Pros:

I like the fact that I can remote into a computer very quickly, get the task finished and get out. This software makes my job less stressful. I can be "remoted" into 50 computers at the same time, if needed. (really, I've had to do this before)

Cons:

Not all features actually work. If I change a description of a computer in active directory and the hit "refresh" in Dameware, it does not refresh. I have to close and re-open Dameware. Computer-Properties-System does not work at all with WIN10 Computer-Properties-Version does not work at all with WIN10 Computer-Properties-Display does not work at all with WIN10 Computer-Properties-Resources does not work at all with WIN10 Computer-Properties-Environment does not work at all with WIN10 Also, it would be great if you could save your spot in Dameware. I work almost exclusively within one OU. Everytime I open Dameware, I have to re-open the OU and wait until it "lights-up" all the computers in the OU before I can proceed.

Margaret
System Administrator in US
Utilities, 51–200 Employees

Cheaper than cloud solutions but harder to use

Comments: Less expensive remote control solution

Pros:

Pay once and it's yours. You don't have to keep renewing it yearly at higher and higher rates since you run it internally on your own server.

Cons:

Have to install on internal server or multiple servers if you also put on DMZ to connect to Internet-based PCs, which takes some expertise. For quite a while we didn't have a public certificate on the DMZ server and trying to talk the users thru all the security errors thrown up by the browser was challenging. It could take 15 minutes just to get thru that step. So then we got a certificate but getting it installed and working on the DMZ server was a bear. Solarwinds does not have adequate instructions on how to do this. Took quite a bit of research. Getting connected to remote users can be challenging the first time you connect to them (if they don't have the client agent installed) even with a certificate installed. I really miss our previous cloud-based solution which was so much easier to use, plus it had more options, like transferring files between computers, but it became unaffordable. Dameware feels very awkward to me compared to it. I can't really rate the customer support because we dropped support due to the cost. So I just flounder around on my own when we have a problem with it, trying to fix it (like trying to get the certificate installed). The support was helpful when we first bought it and I had to get it installed and working on the server.

Doug
Systems Administrator II in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy to administer and use, a lot of bang for the buck.

Pros:

I am the one who has installed, configured, and administer DameWare Remote Support in our environment. The simplicity and ease of use of MRC and other components inside of DWRS offer a wide spectrum of tools at your disposal for remotely connecting to machines on and off your domain network through internet sessions. This is probably the most used software in our IT department, all of our users use it every single day several times a day.

Cons:

I feel like the UX/GUI could use a refresh, it appears to be dated. We have had an issue on our network with devices discovering other devices belonging to other VLANs to show up in the computer list, and support basically told us there wasn't anything they could do to support as it is a Windows related issue causing it. We instead just use the workstation list which is an exhaustive list.

Francine
System Administrator / ISO in US
Government Administration, 201–500 Employees

We use Dameware to connect to our end user systems to assist them with problems helpdesk problems.

Comments: ease of use!!

Pros:

We would not be able to perform our helpdesk job nearly as well without being able to connect so seamlessly. We do not have to turn remote desktop on every system which is a huge security relief. Allowing users so see what we are doing is helpful to them so that they can help themselves in the future. I love being able to view event logs easily and without interrupting the end users work flow. Easily retrieving information regarding a system status such as properties, processes, software, services etc. all in one place is extremely valuable.

Cons:

I use Dameware everyday it is difficult to find something negative, I suppose I would like for the computer icons to turn blue from grey when a user system becomes active rather than having to exit the program and re-enter to see active systems.

, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great software for remote support

Comments: Very helpful to support your staff, either on remote offices or on different offices in your same building, without actually having to be present there.

Pros:

Dameware is easy to use, easy to install and can connect to multiple types of clients. We have been using it for several years to provide remote IT assistance to our staff, on both Windows and Mac computer (using VNC), and it is very helpful.

Cons:

You sometimes have to fiddle with the settings, depending on the client machine, and there are times when the connection does not work right away (can't say if it is an issue with the software or with out network or the configuration of our PCs). Sometimes, the remote connection is switched to a "Mirror Driver" mode, where some commands like Ctrl+Alt+Del do not work, and you have to use the on-screen keyboard for this.

Information Management Specialist in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

very good, except for licensing

Comments: remote administration

Pros:

I like the ease of use and the quality of the product.

Cons:

licensing without a doubt- every year it wants to talk to the mothership; our systems are behind a proxy and when we have 50 (or however many there are, probably more) that can't phone home and need to be authorized manually - and they have to be done by the person on whose SolarWinds account they are\were purchased on... it is a nightmare and we are looking at other products that don't make us jump through these hoops. It is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS the amount of trouble this is. I have been using DameWare - I actually was the person who talked this company into buying it about 15 or so years ago - for a long time and the licensing is going to make me switch. Sad.

MIS Manager in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201–500 Employees

Great for a beginner- Has lots of room for improvement

Pros:

Installs on first use of connection. Nothing to push or install before use. Not really sure if there is anything "LIKE MOST" as this is the software that was given to me upon my arrival. Good for someone starting out in providing remote support as the monthly cost is low.

Cons:

I feel it is clunky and a little antiquated compared to other tools on the market. There is no integration (except AD) that I can find with other tools or software. Many of the commands do not work in a large enterprise environment. We currently service over 500 endpoints and this software is just one of the many tools. Would like to see more integration into AD You get what you pay for.

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501–1,000 Employees

Powerful remote desktop management

Comments: Quickly troubleshoot remote desktops with this software. You will recover your costs quickly with saved time with this software.

Pros:

I like the speed and ease of using this software. It has saved us hundreds of hours by giving us a quick tool to troubleshoot end user issues without having to go onsite. It's more than just a remote desktop connection, you get multiple authentication options and can maintain connects, sign in/out, etc. all while staying connected to the remote computer.

Cons:

We discovered some Windows 10 compatibility issues with our current version that we are working through (mostly by upgrading to the latest version).

Kylie
Infrastructure Analyst in US

Exceptional software, a must have for any IT Professional

Pros:

Cannot recommend this software enough, definitely worth the money. Being able to remote into an end users computer to troubleshoot issues/assist users, install software, etc. Has saved trips to come back onsite after hours, provided us a place to verify software installed and versions of software, verify and gather installed printer info, remote command line, even remote registry on the remote system. Most everything a system admin or support would need for troubleshooting is right at your fingertips to perform remotely.

Cons:

This software doesn't solve the issues by itself (of course we'd be out of a job if it did), but in all seriousness it's a great software there really are no cons. One thing with the version we are running anyway is that once licensed under a particular user on the machine it is installed on, the software always has to be run as that user on that machine. This may be changed now however.

Database Administrator in US
Hospitality, 1,001–5,000 Employees

This is a very organized virtual support tool to enable IT professionalsto quickly assist customers.

Comments: Seemless and organized remote support capabilities from one source application.

Pros:

I love the organization inbuilt into this program as well as the ability to access management tools directly from this computers entry in the directory. if i need logs from a machine i just pull them from dameware. if i need to drop to a console of a remote machine i dont have to rdp in first to then open a command prompt.

Cons:

This software requires you to manually login to the remote machine if no one is logged in. Single Sign on capabilities are rather limited with this software solution.

Miles
Systems Admin in US
Warehousing, 201–500 Employees

We have around 300 end users and own 5 licenses. There are 2 of us that use it the majority of time.

Pros:

I love the tool box at the top of the screen. So much functionality. "View Only"; "Print" and many more. It is very reliable as long as your network is functioning correctly. I was used to having to have IP address to connect at last job but find using the computer name to be just as easy, if not better all together. We got a few more licenses to give the remote access feature to a few other employees and it was very easy to explain to them how to use it properly.

Cons:

It took a little while to get used to the format. But no different than any new software. It also took a few tries to get the logging in to work smoothly. However, once I figured it out there has been no issues.

Jimmy
Application Specialist in US
Gambling & Casinos, 201–500 Employees

Fantastic Remote Software - Best Value

Comments: Quick and easy ability to support out end-users without always having to support them in person.

Pros:

Ease of use. Registry editor, Processes, Disk Drives, event logs, services manager, sessions, wake on lan and remote control all in one place. I also like the ability to put a friendly name to each remote connection so that I can also look at the list with a name and not just the computer name.

Cons:

Even though the software is a great value for the price, it can be a bit steep for a smaller company and hard to justify.

Network Administrator II in US

I use Dameware every day. I do not know of any tool that is better for on-domain remote support.

Pros:

I have used Dameware for over 10 years, and I love that I can remote into a PC an monitor a live session to see what issues my agents are seeing. I also love that I can kill the remote keyboard to keep someone from messing up my remote session.

Cons:

Dameware occasionally will connect to the wrong PC if there is a DNS conflict. This isn't a major issue because it does give you a warning, but I have still booted the wrong user occasionally because I wasn't paying attention.

Gary
Network Administrator in US

Dameware Mini Remote Control allow me to screen access and control on all computers on our network.

Pros:

It can push the client to the target machine even when it is unattended and logged off. Unlike RDP the screen is shared with the user so that help and support can be provided.

Cons:

The mirror driver has interfered with video drivers in some cases. Also when connecting to a client with a screen resolution much higher than mine I have to scroll like crazy to get around their screen. I recommend screen scaling to fix this.