15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Wave

Automate key invoicing & bookkeeping tasks and get more time for what you love with Wave’s small business software. Try for free today!

Learn more about Wave

Pros:

Since it is free, I expected customer service to be non-existent, but they do respond and resolve issues through their messaging system. You can also share info with your accountant.

Cons:

It was disappointing when UK bank syncing stopped. Would prefer more options on personal designs for Invoices and Receipts.

Wave ratings

4.4
4.0
4.2
4.6

8.4/10

Wave has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 1,584 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Wave before?

Filter reviews (1,584)

Administrator in Zimbabwe
Retail, Self Employed

Wave Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Excellent. It makes a massive difference to our business and keeps track of our progress.

Pros:

It's the best accounting system I have ever used before. Very effective and user friendly and I would recommend it to any business.

Cons:

It's taken long to have a great app for it and also they've restricted new accounts to North America which is a drag.

Chantel
Registered Massage Therapist in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Bookkeeping made simple

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My accountant recommended Wave as an upgrade from using Excel to document my income/expenses and it has made my life so much easier, my accounting/bookkeeping takes half the time and my reports are ready in an instant. It has been easy to help me keep track of any expenses I may have missed throughout the year as well.

Pros:

Wave is so user friendly, it's made all my bookkeeping seamless.

Cons:

If I had to choose it would be simpler invoicing/receipt creation.

Theodore
Video Editor in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

Wave Accounting Services and Customer Service are ABYSMAL!!!

3.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Its great UNTIL you need to speak to someone... Then they are among the worst companies I have ever dealt with.

Pros:

Invoice creation and sending. Charts are nice.

Cons:

They withdrew money from my account to pay payroll taxes, then didn'tpay the tax. You can't speak to anyone there and thy take forever to get back to you. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Ashley
Office Manager in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Accounting without a Cost

Comments: I loved this software/app so much that I actually decided to open a personal account and use it for mine and my husbands personal finances! I had been using the good ole trusty excel for this. But this makes everything so much nicer. It imports all my husbands charges and then I can code them and see just where our money is going. Not to mention, it has help the business I work for be more successful in bringing in a bigger profit! If you are trying to decided between software's and don't know where to start, try Wave for your business accounting needs.

Pros:

The first greatest thing about Wave is that is FREE!!! If you are just starting out, or a small business where overhead and expense need to be kept to a minimum, I recommend this app. It has all basic functions you need like, quotes, invoicing, statements, entering bills, receipts, reconciling bank statements, etc. All of these services including reporting are included in the free software! It has payroll functions for an additional charge, which we have opted out of for the time being. You can even link your bank account to it and it will import all the your debits and credits for reconciling. Also, this software is super user friendly and you do not need to be a tech expert to understand it. It will set you up with preloaded items it thinks you need for your business and then you can change them or delete them. You can also add new ones super easy while doing this or after the fact. I really love that its cloud base and can be accessed anywhere. This makes it key for me when traveling for work.

Cons:

Honestly Wave is pretty awesome that it was hard to find cons with it. The only drawback for me is the reporting. I wish I was able to customize them and select certain data to analyze. The reports are basic and standard, they just don't quite cover what I am looking for in my reporting.

DAYNA
Accountant in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Excellent Free Software for Small Businesses

5.0 last month New

Comments: Extremely easy to use and a perfect first software for service based businesses that don't want to pay for Quickbooks yet.

Pros:

- Free - Cloud based - Easily customizable/brandable invoicing and reports

Cons:

It does not do costing per order or inventory management as far as I'm aware.

Laura
Laura
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy to create and send invoices, quotes and payments

Comments: Invoices, estimates, and receipts, along with yearly accounting tools, can be easily managed. Simple to set up, and you may include many companies in a single profile.

Pros:

We were looking for a low-cost solution, and Wave met our needs for our two subsidiaries. Accounting software that doesn't break the bank. The billing and payment process runs smoothly.

Cons:

I can only view reports once a year and cannot download individual reports or combine them. It's difficult to plan for cash flow in the financial realm.

Christina
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

Great free software

Comments: This is an awesome free alternative to quickbooks. It’s not quite as polished but worth the money I’m saving.

Pros:

I switched from Quickbooks which god a bit expensive for me. This is a very cheap alternative which is easy to use. I was able to connect my banks and credit cards pretty easily.

Cons:

I don’t like that I am unable to push a bank sync so sometimes I have to just wait. I’m also bummed that mobile receipt scanning costs extra. I was unable to sync my square account but I can do all of my accounting without it and will just have to add my square fees later.

Emily
Marketing director in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Easy Invoicing

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I found Wave when looking for a platform to invoice my freelance clients. I wanted something I could use easily, have a record for tax time, and something that was customizable without being charged an arm and a leg with fees. I don’t use Wave to its full potential but it works great for me!

Cons:

Nothing. Wave has worked just how I needed it to!

Ronald
Graphic Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Invoice creation

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It's been very helpful for me to create professional invoices for free.

Pros:

First, it's a free product! The features are great and very easy to use.

Cons:

They canceled their banking program, but besides that I have no cons.

Samantha
Samantha
Owner in UK
Accounting, Self Employed

Great Piece of Software

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

There was a free version, easy to invoice and collect payments, good trackers for accounting

Cons:

Not as much functionality as other software

Management Consulting, Self Employed

Wonderful accounting software for starting and growing a service business

Comments: I haven't gone through a tax season with my business yet, but I have been an independent consultant and I anticipate having everything tracked in Wave is going to help me out a lot come April. It's so easy to use and I can focus on my core business rather than spending a lot of time on admin.

Pros:

Wave helps me do so much. I can issue invoices, track them (I.e. I can see when a client has viewed it!), and allow clients to make payments directly through the invoice. I can also customize my invoice, which is great. I could do all of this from day 1. I'm a solopreneur and launched my business this summer. I was able to issue professional invoices from day 1 and track my expenses using their receipts app. The other thing I love about Wave is that they are very interested in feedback from their customers. I've had a few interactions with them and it's always been really pleasant. It's also free which helps me out a lot. I do use the credit card payments, which has a fee like any other service would.

Cons:

Their mobile app could use some work, and I've given them this feedback. The receipts app is great to take pictures really quickly, but I generally have to use the browser to do anything else.

Proinsias
Proinsias
Owner Manager Digital Specialist in Ireland
Online Media, Self Employed

Wave Accounting is great for a Startup Business

Comments: I was very happy with the invoicing, payments, and the Design and functionality. I was able to search past transactions very easily. I did not pay for premium support, but the support that I recieve is excellent.

Pros:

It was free to use the accounting services I was able to invoice customers using Stripe as a Payment Gateway which was great value The Design and User Interface is very professional compared to others that I have seen The Payment Gateway was also very professional when sent to customers, it added to the credibility of the business

Cons:

My particular Bank would not allow me to sync my account with Wave, but that was a local issue not a general issue. I was very very happy with the invoicing. but I always felt that the ledger views were not as robust.

Jonathan
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

It’s free, but better than any paid accounting software.

Comments: We’ve been using wave since beta. We tried Quickbooks and a few other accounting platforms after a consultant suggested we review other platforms. Ultimately, we never left wave and will not in the foreseeable future.

Pros:

Wave is free, but it’s powerful. Wave is suitable for any small to medium business. Wave handles all our accounting needs.

Cons:

Wave has two major areas of improvement. 1. Their customer service is difficult, especially if you have an urgent matter. Their chargeback dispute process is not easy and confusing. Again, customer support regarding chargebacks is difficult considering you have a few days to submit a dispute package.

Andrew
Chief Executive Officer in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Wave Accounting

Comments: My overall experience with Wave was excellent and I had no issues with this software. If it was not for a change in business practice, I would still be using Wave now.

Pros:

The best thing about this software is that it is free and offer just as much if not more features than some of its paid competitors. You can also access it online from any PC.

Cons:

They don't have a robust support line but considering you are not paying for the software, you can't blame them. Plus there really isn't any reason for you to need support as everything is user-friendly and there is adequate help features in the software.

Suzanne
Professional Photographer in Canada
Photography, Self Employed

Wave error messed up my entire system and they want to charge me $3000 to fix it

Comments: It was good while it lasted, before their system made my data unusable. They really tried to be helpful, I chatted with several friendly people online, all of whom were unable to resolve my issues. They were unable to refer me to a WaveApps specialist in my area. Ultimately their solution was to offer me one of their bookkeepers at a cost of $3000 to fix the problem they created. No thanks.

Pros:

It was wonderfully easy to use, the invoices looked professional and payment processing features were handy.

Cons:

TLDR: Major syncing, reconciling and support issues Two of my accounts synced twice (so I had four accounts in Wave where there should have been two) and they were unable to fix this. Their suggested fixes did not work. They have chat and email support but no phone support and even though they logged in as an admin they were unable to fix this problem. A recent update to their system caused my entire past four years of records to be unreconciled, and the only fix was to go back to the beginning of time and compare each transaction ever made. They offered me a bookkeeper to do this for me for $269/month for a minimum of 12 months, despite my being very diligent about keeping my account up to date for the past four years. I have switched to another system now.

Jamie
Owner in Canada
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Everything a small business needs for invoicing

Comments: I love Wave. I switched from Freshbooks years ago and it was such a good move. Wave is so easy to use which means you save time and money.

Pros:

Wave is super simple to use. It's well laid out, intuitive and easy to use. I've been using Wave for years after switching from Freshbooks.

Cons:

Occasionally, Wave has issues sending invoices to Gmail addresses. This is very surprising given how prevalent Gmail is and I would hope they'd sort this out.

Brad
Creative Director in South Africa
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Budget Friendly Accounting

Comments: Over the 7 years that I have been using Wave, I have watched it evolve into what it is today and am blown away by the features available at absolutely no cost. When I started out, the Free price tag saved me, but over time I expected to upgrade and pay for the service, but it never came. I get all the bells and whistles like everyone else, for nothing. So a big thank you to the Wave team for helping Small businesses across the world. (Love from South Africa)

Pros:

Other than the fact that the software is free to use, I mostly love that it was built for Small Businesses. I Have personally made use of the software since 2013 and recommend it to every business owner that I come across. Most people think that you MUST pay for accounting software to get a good product but this is simply not the case with Wave!

Cons:

It is difficult to fault this. I guess if anything, I wish it integrated with more platforms such as WooCommerce, and Zoho CRM. With the intergration I would be able to streamline my business process a little better.

Elly
Web Designer and Developer in US
Design, 2–10 Employees

OBSESSED

Comments: From the beginning, it has been fantastic. I manage all of my business accounting through it. I don't even remember how I found it so many years ago, but I cannot say enough good things about it!

Pros:

This makes my accounting SO EASY! Not only am able to easily keep track of my expenses and costs associated with my business, but I'm able to create, issue, and track invoices. AND, to top it off, the invoices are so nice looking (which, as a designer, is a big deal to me). I can not only issue invoices, but track whether they have been opened, viewed, and/or paid. And when it comes to figuring out my taxes, the system makes it so simple to get whatever information I need. Finally, while I don't use it yet, I will be enabling online payments this upcoming year so my customers can pay their invoices online. Based on my experience thus far, I have NO doubt it will be great!

Cons:

This is a difficult one as I really don't have a dislike.... If I really think about it, I guess I wish I could have different addresses (for me) on difference invoices based on the customer. I have two locations so it would be nice to be able to just issue invoices with different business addresses based on the customer.

Vincent
Accounts & Admin officer in Fiji
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Wave Accounting for SME in Fiji

Comments: Wave Accounting is very cost efficient & cost effective for small businesses here in Fiji. The overall experience has been a pleasant one and I would recommend it to small business owners only.

Pros:

Right off the bat, perhaps the biggest pro of Wave Accounting is the fact that it is 100% free. A simple plug & play app that allows users the ability to have an accounting software to keep their books in order. Also, like QuickBooks, the feature that allows users to attach source documents with the transactions is a huge plus. It is very useful in Fiji because our Tax Authority conducts random audits & failure to produce source documents results in huge fines and penalties. The home look as soon as you login is very useful too. It shows the expenses breakdown over a certain period along with other charts like your Profit & Loss as well as your cash flows. Wave Accounting is really good for small & medium business owners who have limited accounting knowledge. The software does the work for them and it is very straightforward.

Cons:

Perhaps the biggest drawback for me is the difficulty in producing specific reports. I tried to produce an Accounts Payable report to see the Tax Input the business had for the 1st Quarter of 2020. However, the options provided was limited and therefore key fields were left out of selection. Although you could import data from Wave Accounting to Excel, it is very limited. Also, being in Fiji, I noticed that features like Payroll & Banking options are not available here. This was a drawback especially because Bank Reconciliation had to be manually done on an external app or software.

Jack
Owner in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Wave has amazing functionality for a free product, but it's not as good as it should be

Comments: I have been using Accounting by Wave for nearly three years. It was a replacement for my Simply Accounting program. I am forever wondering how Wave can afford to make such a polished product available at no cost. Initially, there were ads, but now that they have a revenue stream from additional services, the ads have been removed. I have opted not to use their in-built payment processing feature, but I imagine it would be similar to Paypal in terms of the fees. Day-to-day operation of the program is smooth. They use a Zapier interface to my bank to update balances and download transactions. This interface is quite slow, although the speed has improved somewhat over the years. As bank transactions are imported, they are categorized into various income/expense categories. I find the categorization to be fairly unhelpful. Even after the user changes the categorization of transactions, Wave does not remember these settings. The next time data is downloaded, it will use the same, incorrect categories as the previous time. Wave is currently rolling out a new version of their software, which promises improvements to the AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities. I hope this means they will remember user-defined categorizations, but until my account is updated, I cannot speculate. There is one VERY ANNOYING bug in the program that I have described in the CONS section, since I've run out of space here.

Pros:

The software is FREE for everything other than PAYROLL and PAYMENT PROCESSING. If you don't use those components, there is absolutely no charge. For the most part, it is user-friendly and straightforward, and the quality of its printed invoices, customer statements and reports is top-notch. I really appreciate the ability to create recurring invoices (subscription billing) and view monthly income/expense bar charts for a 1- or 2-year period.

Cons:

This is bookkeeping software that stresses simple data entry. However, it doesn't have features such as audit trails for transaction entries. With this program, it is possible to generate transactions, generate reports, and then reverse the transactions without any way of knowing that changes were made. Wave attempts to categorize your income and expenditures, but doesn't currently have the ability to remember your categorizations. But the thing I like least about this software is a BUG that causes the program to download bank transactions and incorrectly categorize them as duplicates of previously downloaded transactions if the transaction amounts match. This bug makes it difficult to find transactions when you are attempting to reconcile your transactions.

Luke
Retail, 2–10 Employees

A data-import nightmare - Stay away unless you love lost transactions

Comments: Support has been poor quality. As a paying customer of both their payroll service (which is solid) and their accounting coaching, I'm tremendously disappointed with the platform.

Pros:

The software at it's core is very easy to use. The reliability is however a complete failure.

Cons:

Throughout the past 3 years, Wave has been a game of 'make sure my bank works.' First, I closed incompatible credit card accounts in order to open accounts that were listed as compatible. A year later, Wave lost the connection with all of capital one due to an issue with switching data providers (from Plaid). Next, Chase bank cards also disappeared. When finally reconnecting, weeks worth of transactions were intermittently missing. For a software company who's core goal is to reduce manual data entry, this platform is a nightmare. Stay away.

Spencer
Studio Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

Very powerful free features with the option to purchase high-quality premium services!

Comments: I am very impressed with Wave Accounting. Their free products aren't skimpy or limiting, but are actually very full and would likely not be free from another service provider! Wave's premium offerings are extensive as well. Overall, I've found that Wave Accounting is perfect for a wide target audience including small businesses, sole proprietors, independent contractors and freelancers, or people looking to take their invoicing, accounting, payment collecting, etc. to anything beyond their basic capacity and limitations. Highly recommend to a broad audience needing such services.

Pros:

Wave Apps software features not only very beautiful interfaces for their products' dashboard, but the platform is at once very feature-heavy and thoughtfully well designed. The aesthetically-pleasing graphics for content such as cash flow, profit and loss, and expense breakdowns on the primary dashboard are sharp and clean in addition to being so helpfully data-driven, and all that is just on the landing page. As you navigate through categories of sales, purchases, accounting, banking, you experience how well-constructions the pages are for options within each section including sales, purchases, accounting, etc. I love just how many of the feature-heavy options are completely *FREE.* Wave Apps offers select premium services, such as Wave Advisors and bookkeeping, even business insurance with "NEXT," while offering things such as accounting, invoicing , etc. free of charge. It's an excellent product for anyone looking for a beautiful interface, but also wanting lots of features without needing to immediately spend money for quality products.

Cons:

So many elements within Wave are intuitively navigable and to use with simple data entry. One area that was a little more challenging for me to set up with the chart of accounts section in the accounting area of the interface. It's so nice that it's deeply customizable, but the challenge was that it took me a little extra time to understand and knowledgeably input the data of my assets, liabilities/credits, income, expenses, equity. This is something that would be challenging for anyone not familiar with basic accounting on any software, so I probably would've benefitted from a few "help" pop-ups/set-up assistance here than perhaps some other areas. Where my limitations with setup start is however where Wave's premium products with bookkeeping and accounting are so valuable to the user. There are many great pop-up notices throughout the platform that inform you about new features of ways to most effectively use Wave Apps features, which is great, and of course, they're complete with beautiful graphics.

Nweke
Nweke
Founder, Lead Designer in UK
Design, 2–10 Employees

A good start for small businesses to easily manage their billing and invoicing

Comments: It made my startup process easy and saved my business a lot of expenses. I also learnt a lot as a novice with basic financial knowledge.

Pros:

First of all, it is completely FREE part from other optional extra services that have recently been added at a cost. Very easy-to-use in creating invoices and billing customers. I was able to integrate with my startup business processes and it improved our professionalism. I loved the app because I could easily manage my business finances from my mobile phone, follow up on due payments, track payments, monitor cashflow, and also customize all correspondence with my brand colors and logo.

Cons:

I was sad when most features were limited to US residents and I also couldn't access the mobile app in the app store for my region. Users outside the USA might have some limitations especially with connecting banks or credit cards and no access to the mobile app

Josh
Senior Copywriter
Marketing & Advertising, 5,001–10,000 Employees
Used the Software for: Not provided

I want to like Wave, and have been trying for years

Comments: ..., but I need them to help me figure it out. I have a full-time salaried job as a copywriter and a few self-employment careers, like freelance writing, voice acting. I've always found doing my taxes to be a nightmare. I'd spend months stressing about it and trying to calculate income and expenses. Originally, I was adding up all my expenses with a calculator. When I discovered I could put things into Excel, it got a bit easier add numbers. And then about 4 or 5 years ago, I started using a new accountant, and he suggested Wave to me. I was excited to hear that it would important my bank and credit card statements, and that I could then quickly and easily categorize everything. I was sure this would save me so much time and stress. But I found Wave very hard to use. I wasn't sure how to create my own categories. I could never tell if my statements had been uploaded completely, and I would often wind up with duplicate transactions. And I still can't find a way to view the categories after I've allocated transactions to them. I tweeted to Wave a lot, and they were nice enough to send one their IT guys to sit with me in a coffee shop for a few hours. He watched as I tried to do things and he gave me help. He said this was useful to him, to see what people might be having trouble with. And, I figured I would then be ok. But I'm still having a lot of trouble. I'm not asking a lot. All I want to be able to do is import my bank statements and credit card statements, and categorize all the transactions. And being able to invoice people would be nice too. And it seems that his app has those features. But I still find it very complicated. I don't understand the categories. I can't find where the totals are. And lately, my mbna Mastercard has been saying it can't link to Wave. So tonight, I went in and started deleting all the transactions from 2014, hoping that I could start fresh and be sure that everything was imported correctly. But now I see that mbna won't give me the data files for before August (that's an mbna problem, not Wave) and I can't undelete what I deleted. And there's no way to get support without paying for it. But I don't want to pay until I'm confident the site can do the simple things I need it to do. Anyway, I'd love to support a local Toronto company. And I appreciate that someone from the company sat with me in person. And I see people reviewing positively, saying it makes a freelancers life easy. Someone even tweeted today that Wave makes doing accounting fun. But I just don't understand how people are able to use this site. If someone from the company, or one of the satisfied customers, could explain to me how to use this site properly, I'd love to be converted. But at this point, I fear I need to cut my loses and simplify my life by paying for some other software. I just want to be able to file my taxes and concentrate on my creative projects.

Pros:

It seems like it offers the ability to import credit card and bank statements, categorize expenses, and invoice people. Those are the features I want. But...

Cons:

...I haven't been able to figure out how to smoothly and accurately use the features I want. This app is making my life harder than it was when I just manually typed in all my expenses into a Microsoft Word and added them up with a calculator.

Wave Response

9 years ago

Thanks for sharing with us your experience. Firstly, thanks for being such a valuable customer over the years. We especially appreciate your patience trying to make WaveApps work for your financials. We have available Premium Support for customers who are getting started with Wave. We suggest those looking to best learn work arounds, and setting up proper customizations subscribe to our chat and phone support (unlimited - 9am-5pm EDT M-F) - $49 for three months. You can place a call and speak to one of our product specialists to help you work through your challenge. If you could reach out to me [email protected]. We'll try to match you with a member of our team to help troubleshoot since you have invested your valuable time into Wave to manage your business financials. Jennifer from Wave

Christian
Founder in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Wave Accounting: The Optimal and Should be First Choice for Small Business Owners

Comments: I have been using Wave for a long time now. For more than 4 years and I have nothing bad to say about Wave Accounting it is absolutely amazing, and is way better than quickbooks in my opinion.

Pros:

Wave's ability to automatically categorize and track receipts. Another feature I must mention is the invoicing capabilities. These features are more than essential to the small business owner and are easy to generate on the go quickly with the mobile application.

Cons:

One aspect of Wave that could be improved is the mobile applications' ability to manage payout accounts. Also, the receipts feature remaining free would be a huge value add for logistics company owners.