15 years helping Singaporean businesses

QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

About QuickBooks Payroll

Manages small business finances. Instant access to customer, vendor and employee information. Available in an online version.

Learn more about QuickBooks Payroll

Pros:

It's very simple to use and integrates great with Quickbooks online as you would expect.

Cons:

I think all my conversations were with people out of the country. Really hard to understand and communication was a challenge.

QuickBooks Payroll ratings

4.4
4.3
4.5
4.3

8.3/10

QuickBooks Payroll has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 848 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used QuickBooks Payroll before?

Mark
Mark
President and Sr. Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

QuickBooks Payroll a good choice for all but the smallest of small businesses

Comments: A reliable and accurate service providing pretty much everything the small business needs to generate a payroll and to remit taxes and tax filings in a timely basis. Good customer service. When new state taxes were introduced, it was sometimes difficult to get the calculation of taxes due correct and, in my case, QuickBooks was never able to successfully remit the Washington Family & Medical Leave tax.

Pros:

A comprehensive online payroll service likely to meet the needs of most small businesses with good integration to other products and services sold by QuickBooks. Easy setup, good customer service. I liked being able to schedule so that payroll taxes were deducted from my corporate account close to the date the remittance was due to the taxing authority. Some payroll services deduct taxes from the bank account just after payroll is run, then hold it (presumably making interest on those funds) until the taxes are actually due. QuickBooks doesn't appear to do that.

Cons:

A few too many steps are required to run a payroll with a few informational messages being displayed that I usually disregard (of the "are you sure you want to do that?" kind). Also, QuickBooks was never able to successfully report and remit certain of Washington's state taxes. QuickBooks' calculation of these taxes never quite matched the calculation made by the state taxing authority and correcting QuickBooks' record of what I actually paid was a bit complicated. Also, the price for this service is not competitive, compared to other services, for very small businesses.

Mike
President in US
Consumer Services, 11–50 Employees

I'm a happy camper.

Comments: Very good to outstanding overall. The software itself is very good and keeps improving. Also, as the market leader, they have many local CPA's that integrates into the software as "local experts", so when I have a question I can typically ask my CPA firm and they can help, or whenever there has been a problem that they can't solve, they are able to contact support on my behalf. Overall the system works pretty well.

Pros:

The payroll service is really easy overall. All the tasks that I use are quite simple to navigate around, including adding new employees, paying employees, and sending out payroll liability payments. These are what I do most often and they've been really simplified by Quickbooks. Other functions that I use are payroll deductions (401k, etc), tracking sick/vacation time, and managing direct deposit. Another feature I like (part of QB Online, not sure about Desktop), is that employees are emailed a link to join their payroll management website, where they can access payroll stubs, W2's etc. It has made managing a lot of the HR parts of hiring employees much more streamlined.

Cons:

Not really a con, but I don't have any experience with any of the direct competitors, e.g. Freshbooks, Sage, Xero, etc., so I can't say if Quickbooks does anything better or worse than those others. But what I can say is that I did switch from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online, which is a much better experience overall (although more expensive).

Kaylee
Director in Canada
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

On par with most other payroll service providers

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: It is unfortunate they do not have discounted pricing available to wholesale billing accounts for accountant users. The pricing is higher than most other payroll platforms.

Pros:

It is directly integrated with our bookkeeping file without the need for manual inputting entries.

Cons:

It does not have the capability to express process payroll for direct deposit. It also does not have the capability to submit source deductions to CRA with each payroll processing like many other payroll service providers do.

Garrett
Furniture, 11–50 Employees

Avoid Quickbooks Online Payroll at all costs

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Quickbooks does not thoroughly and correctly handle the taxes that they claim to support. On top of that, competitors like ADP DO handle this correctly AND go the extra mile to properly manage other garnishments and withholdings that QBO won't touch. QBO is only marginally cheaper than competitors and only if you are getting substantial discounts.

Pros:

Quickbooks payroll has good time tracking and job costing functions. Those functions are not worth the issues you will have with a lack of support and incorrect tax filings.

Cons:

The tax filings are incorrect and incomplete and it is like pulling teeth trying to get Quickbooks to even acknowledge issues, much less fix them. After migrating, we suddenly found ourselves spending more energy trying to run down and fix quickbooks errors than we were spending doing it all ourselves. To this day, Quickbooks refusing to acknowledge that our local taxes are required to be filed more frequently than annually, despite many letters from our local assessment agency indicating that we have missed filings and clearly laying out when filings are due.

Shannon
Shannon
Retail, 2–10 Employees

From Forever Young

Pros:

You can keep up with time, payroll, overtime, taxes, and benefits m

Cons:

Nothing. I love this software. I highly recommend everyone use it.

CEO in US
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

There are better payroll products out there even if your CPA insists on using Quickbooks

Pros:

I like that it integrates into Quickbooks which the CPA insists we use for accounting.

Cons:

3 times out of no where direct deposit would stop working, I could not process payroll except by check, and I would have to call Intuit and spend 1+ hours with some clueless tech support agent that couldn't use their own tools (Salesforce / force.com ) to upload a copy of my ID so a team that can't be contacted could verify my account, only to have to repeat this every 6 months. I got stuck having to fly home from vacation to manually runs checks once. Got hit with penalties for payroll tax not filled on time. I escalated my issue multiple times no once could give me answers (I suspect it was related to a name change that happened from when I bought it 5 years ago to when I got married) and eventually I switched to Rippling which does way more, and has excellent support.

Paul
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Quickbooks Online Payroll

Comments: The software continues to be very efficient and provides ease of use. However, the confidence I have in customer service is what makes me stick with this software and not look elsewhere for an alternative.

Pros:

Ease of implementation and constant guidance available from customer service to resolve any issue. Also the ability to access and run payroll from any device that can reach the internet provides so much productivity.

Cons:

The Elite payroll service seems so restrictive. I cannot access many of the settings or execute many of the functions that I could through the Core payroll service. To change these settings I need to go through customer service, which was very confusing and frustrating during the implementation of the payroll service.

Juan
Utilities, 2–10 Employees

New to Quickbooks auto payroll

Comments: I'm very new to Quickbooks Payroll but my experience thus far has been nothing short of great. I have been using other Quickbooks products for many years though and I'm very satisfied with Quickbooks as a whole.

Pros:

This software includes all the features I was looking for in one place and for a great price. My main concern as a business owner was ease of usage, accessibility and automation. This software met all these requirements and then some. The interface is very easy to navigate and user friendly and I can access everything whether I'm at home, office or on the go with their array of applications. Once everything is set up properly, there's no need to worry about it which is a huge time saver for me. I'm very busy as it is meeting clients, drafting proposals and doing the accounting, so anything I can automate reliably is of great help.

Cons:

The actual set up of the payroll was a lengthy process and required to have a lot of information on hand but I wouldn't really consider this too much of a con since I had one of their amazing specialists helping me with every single step of the process. She did almost of all the work for me if I'm being honest, I just inputted data as instructed. She was very thorough and thought of concerns I didn't even think about. Just make sure you have ample time to get through the whole set up calmly.

Andrew

Very easy Payroll

Comments: Very simple product to use. The setup was very easy and guided .

Pros:

The ease of just inputting the hours and it calculating everything else makes this a great product.

Cons:

I feel that it doesn't calculate the sick mandated sick time correctly

Darcy
admin in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

QuickBooks Payroll

5.0 last month New

Pros:

We use QuickBooks Payroll to pay all our employees. we are able to integrate their hours

Cons:

sometimes the time and position gets messed up and we have to manually fix it.

Accounting, 2–10 Employees

The best payroll software I'm aware of

Comments: I use Quickbooks Payroll for multiple organizations to process all aspects of payroll. I have used it for employees in four different states. I've already mentioned how useful it is in automatically calculating and tracking everything. I also use it to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for government tax agencies. I especially appreciate the ability to e-file several tax reports and e-pay some taxes as well. Each year I prepare and file employees' w-2s using Quickbooks Payroll, which makes the process fairly simple.

Pros:

My favorite thing about Quickbooks payroll also happens to be the most important thing about it...it is accurate! The payroll tax rates and rules are always updated to maintain accuracy in a changing landscape. When processing payroll, everything is automatically calculated and tracked for accuracy - including annual salary, vacation and/or sick pay, holiday pay, withholding tax, and unemployment tax. I don't have to worry about manually calculating things, knowing when there are tax changes, or potentially making mistakes.

Cons:

I most dislike how expensive Quickbooks Payroll is. I only use the Enhanced Payroll subscription that integrates with existing Quickbooks desktop software or Quickbooks online subscription. That means I do all of actual work in processing payroll and payroll taxes, rather than using a more full-service option. I think the (ever increasing) several hundred dollars per year it costs to have the subscription is unreasonable. (In addition there's a separate fee for each direct deposit check.) However, the truth is, I rely so much on the functions of Quickbooks payroll that I continue utilizing it despite the cost complaints. I haven't come across anything better so I feel I have no choice.

Steven
Management Consulting

Service and support have taken a huge turn for the worse

Pros:

Initially, before they took data away from the end user, I liked everything.

Cons:

The customer service has become deplorable as of this writing. Never used to be that way. I have been without my payroll data since 1/16, and after 16 separate phone calls, each running through the same steps over and over, the same results. Nothing. Keep being informed that the "engineering team" is on it, but still no resolutions. They promise to call you back later that day, no call. So, I call back the next morning, and have to go through the entire scenario yet again. At this point in time, I'm researching other payroll companies. Intuit keeps sending me emails reminding me about payroll being due, tax forms being due... and I can't access any of the information to file it. Today, 4/19/16, I was told that there was a big software problem, that I wasn't the only one experiencing it... but, it literally took them 16 separate phone calls from me, no return phone calls from them AT ALL, and me finally getting angry and raising cain before they divulged that information. Not at all happy with Intuit right now. Several years ago, they surveyed users as to how to best run payroll. I was very VERY happy with having the data remain with me, backed up with them, and me filing electronically with the information in my computer. They decided to have everything "secured" in their hands. I stated my concern that the potential arrises to having our information trapped if they have any software or hardware issues... "Oh, no sir!! That would never happen!!" .... and now, I have zero access to my accounts and information. And the only response I got today after raising hell, is, "You have to wait and be patient, sir." ... I would have to say be cautious when deciding to use Intuit right now.

Theresa
AP in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Comments: Overall it has been easy to use

Pros:

Online customer service features/chat option and being able to integrate with QuickBooks software.

Cons:

Some of the updates can be frustrating as well as the importing features (lost files, duplicate files, etc).

Paul
Small Business Consultant in US
Financial Services, Self Employed

Affordable, full service payroll

Comments: As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through the mobile app. And since the ability to pay independent contractors via direct deposit was introduced, my Bookkeeping clients love the fact that they no longer have to worry about writing out checks to their contractors. Filing Forms W-2 (for employees) and Forms 1099-MISC (for independent contractors) is a breeze at the end of the year and paying all their quarterly payroll taxes takes only a few minutes every three months.

Pros:

Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

Cons:

QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

Laura
Business Administrator in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Quickbooks Payroll Update removes customization abilities

Comments: Over the last 4 years of I have enjoyed the way Quickbooks works with my bank transactions and credit card transactions. I like the variety of reports that can be created and the ease with which bank accounts can be reconciled but the latest updates to payroll have made it impossible to make customizations and has made Quickbooks boss of my payroll. I should not have to have permission from my software provided to make changes to my company's business.

Pros:

I have enjoyed the simplicity of using Quickbooks payroll for the last 4 years but the most recent update has made it much more difficult to use. I can no longer make any customizations on my own. I can not exempt employees from taxes we as a church are exempt from paying. I have to call customer service to have all customizations made by them.

Cons:

No ability to customize payroll exemptions and no ability to override reminder notices. Our accountant files all of our payroll reports but Quickbooks does not allow to make the tasks as completed if you have not completed the task with their system. I have to call and ask them to archive (even they can not mark them complete) the reminders to remove them from my Home Screen. I am not hiring Quickbooks to be my accountant but to be my software provider and I resent them placing requirements on my use of the system.

john
accountant in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Full service is great choice for small S-Corps

Comments: I am a cash flow designer for small businesses. I put structures in place to get them moving their money around their small business for useful reporting and cash flow predictability. Often they are transitioning to S-Corp status and needing to level up their approach to Payroll. I like Quickbooks full service payroll for this.

Pros:

Weekly Payroll at no extra cost, which is great for my clients who are primarily small S-Corps not used to running payroll; I have to get that money into their account so they don't mix up their funds and spend out of their business accounts on their personal life. I also like how when there are issues, they walk me through how to fix them in the interface really well. As a non-expert on payroll, using it for only a few clients, this has been really excellent.

Cons:

I wish it was easier to change bank accounts for the draw. Over time I move clients from single checking accounts to split accounts with operations expenses separated in certain ways; at some interval I tend to want to move the payroll draw to a new bank account. This is hard, in part because the settings inside payroll are housed in a weird interface that locks up in weird ways if you login from various accounts at the same time. Feels like old old old software suddenly, not modern Intuit stuff.

Brianna
Project Administrator in US

A God-send for Small Businesses

Comments: I would recommend Quickbooks Payroll to new businesses that are looking for an easy way to stay organized and pay bills on time.

Pros:

As a cost-plus general contractor, we highly utilize the ERP Integrations System from Procore to create vendors in Quickbooks. Within those vendors, it is easy to enter and pay bills to subcontractors. Creating customer jobs allows us to use job-cost codes to bill our clients. The reconciliation tool helps us double check that our charges match up what is on our monthly statement. Also, the ability to print checks through Quickbooks is useful and looks professional. Probably the most useful tool in Quickbooks is the Profit & Loss tool that allows you to break out individual G/L accounts and easily see your gross income and profit. If our company did not have Quickbooks, we would be so unorganized. Quickbooks is a fantastic software that keeps our expenses, payroll, and vendors organized and stored all in one helpful place.

Cons:

The reconciliation tool for credit card charges can be challenging to use and takes additional introduction and training from an accountant to ensure it is being done correctly.

Jeni
Operations Manager in US

From Desktop program to Online program

Comments: Fast, prompt and knowledgeable assistance. As a new user to the online platform I am a bit of a chore to help, however I have received fantastic service including explanations so guide to me should the issue return. It is comforting that I can expect a prompt response when I reach out for help as I am uncomfortable with any facet of the company bookkeeping in limbo for any length of time.

Pros:

Automatic features such as tax calculations and submit, ease of importing bank feeds.

Cons:

Templates limited in customization. Possibly because we are a construction office and our invoicing is a bit particular. Also, I have customized and saved a report similar to the 'print check stub' feature in the desktop version, small learning curve there and wouldn't mind seeing that report option.

MICHAEL
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Possible issue with using existing payroll subscription to add a client EIN# with the 2020 QB progra

Comments: Until I started using 2020 program it has been good.

Pros:

Tracking income and expenses and simplicity.

Cons:

Their sunset policies in general. It appears that with the new 2020 program the option to add a client company to my accountant payroll subscription is not available. I've spent 1.5hr trying to find anything in the web site to indicate this change but there nothing. This company is using deceptive information to add a company, but it only states for 2017, 2018 & 2019. So by not stating 2020 they feel you should infer that it is no longer available. If this is true, then because of this companies sunset policies I will will not be able to provide this service to my clients. Why don't the simply state "This service is no longer available". I will call on the next business day to confirm this poor policy change!

Julie
Medical Practice, 11–50 Employees

User Friendly

Pros:

Customizable for my business, I like that some items are automatic.

Cons:

I wish I could make 401k contributions and dhhr payments through quickbooks so that it was done automatically with payroll. I can make deductions but would love for them to be sent.

Anne
Head of Finance & Administration in US
Pharmaceuticals, 2–10 Employees

Good for both experienced and inexperienced payroll processors

Pros:

Easily able to modify paychecks before/during processing.

Cons:

QB Payroll will not process local taxes, so it can't be considered a full service payroll solution like ADP or others. Unable to calculate WC liability unless using QB WC

Virginia
President in US
Hospitality, Self Employed

Hard to learn, VERY Expensive and just found out that they didn't file one of my quarterly returns

Comments: I've been a QB desktop user for 16 years. Love it. So when I found that QB handled quarterly payroll payments and W-2 and 1099 distrubution, I decided to try it. They offered an introductory rate that seemed it would be much more cost effective rather than using my accountant to handle. Well, after 6 months the costs skyrocketed. And I found transitioning to their online service to be much harder to learn and the payroll service was so much more work! So after that lovely introductory fee I was paying triple what I would pay my accountant and I could not get used to the online QB accounting service ( which you have to
purchase to get the payroll service). in March of 2018 I found an alternative and canceled my service. I just received a notice from IRS saying that I didn't submit 4th Q 941. It's October, almost a year out. The money is there, the form is not. So I go online to try and access my archived files and QB would not let. Even an accountant would provide a document that I paid for them to create. So now I'm going to be paying a heavy penalty even to re-do and submit. I called QB and was on the phone for an hour trying to convince them that I paid for that document and they should, minimum, allow me to have a copy. My good opinion of QB overall has deteriorated greatly.

Pros:

invoicing was pretty easy. I'm trying to think of something else. Maybe their online payments, that was nice.

Cons:

extremely time-consuming, costly and difficult to use especially compared to other products out there.

Laura
Facilities Services, 2–10 Employees

Fast, Easy and Simple.

Comments: When working with Quickbooks Payroll, it is easy and very straightforward, when it comes to pay roll all you need to do is add your employee's hours and that is it, I had a very tough time with my last payroll company and the set up with Quickbooks was simple and hassle free. Not only that it does not take up much of my time, like as in it is not an all day activity

Pros:

The easiest and best thing about Quickbooks Payroll is that when you need to add a new employee, they make it very easy for you and all you need is their information, another Pro with QuickBooks Payroll is that everything is easy and you cannot go wrong because it is so simple.

Cons:

A con would be that since everything is so simple people can often mistake it for something else, and mess up, like when you are tyring to take away a employee off of payroll it can get confusing at times.

Rae

QuickBooks Full Service Payroll Rocks

Comments: QuickBooks Full Service Payroll has saved me a great deal of time and has assured the accuracy of my Payroll Work. Time saved is money earned and accuracy results in client satisfaction.

Pros:

Full Service Payroll is easy to use and it is priced competitively. I like the fact that there are informed Tech Support individuals available when I need a question answered or need help. Today, #CJM was able to help me by quickly adding a payroll item so I could complete my QBO payroll processing in short order. I also like the fact that I do not have to worry about the calculation of or the timing of payroll deposits.

Cons:

I do not have any negative comments about Full Service Payroll.

Liz
Office Admin in US
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Good Product But Could Use Some Improvments

Comments: Customer service is horrible. You have to go through a maze of transfers to get to the right person. They are never native English speakers and have a very difficult time understanding what you are asking. Once they do understand it can rarely be fixed. I dread calling and will try all alternate options to fix things before attempting to call customer service.

Pros:

The software is pretty easy to learn. It is easy to make changes to an individual's paycheck if needed and there are multiple opportunities for you to correct things before it is actually processed.

Cons:

The program can be very glitchy. I have had it kick me out during the middle of payroll for no reason. It has also randomly not taken out payroll taxes a few times or not send the email check stub.