QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

• Overall
    4.3 /5
    4.3 /5
    3.9 /5

About QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Accounting tool that provides multi-monitor support and past due stamps through improved cash flow.

Learn more about QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Showing 1,247 reviews

Alan L.
Event coordinator
Hospitality, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/10/2020

"The investment is worth the time and convience"

Comments: Regardless overall, as a small business owner or not the utilization of using QuickBooks especially for a financial software is very easy to use. It has all the basics pretty much could anything I need on it. I haven't had an issue with QuickBooks I just recommend certain things like higher security as such.

Pros: The easy of use, not complicated at all to utilize. it's also good with third-party applications and integrations, makes it much more easier. Price wise it is affordable since I would say it's worth the money it's for. It also has a very large support Network. Personally best software to keep financial records, especially for small businesses

Cons: The security on it does lack, there isn't a two-step authentication. And there was a limitation to the number of products in the list especially for inventory purposes. There are also file size issues that need to be addressed, and personally I also believe there needs to be more utilization into e-commerce.

• Reviewed on 27/10/2020
Chris D.
Construction
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2016

"Great product from a satisfied user"

Pros: Intuit is a proactive company and quickbooks desktop is a solid performer. Logic is fluid, able to customize fields for greater use in my industry, links to bank, professional documents for estimates, invoices, etc... Large selection of report templates and easy to customize.

Cons: I have been a loyal desktop user for years and in the past I was able to use my license on my tablet and smartphone which allowed me greater use while in front of prospects and customers. Inuit/Quickbooks then went to stand alone one time purchase desktop fee or monthly online/cloud based subscription. They are trying to force desktop users to monthly subscription since they limit functionality to force upgrade. Cost per year for desktop is starting to climb higher than monthly cloud based version. I also had used intuits credit card processing in the past but switched to square due to costs, intuit will break out net cost and credit card discount fee for bookkeeping on their product and not on other credit card transactions for processing. There are third party apps for that but with a monthly cost.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2016
Rhiannon N.
Music, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2021

"Great product, support is lacking"

Comments: It's affordable for small business compared to the big accounting suites. (ADVICE: Unless you are not up on payroll and other law changes each year, there is no reason to upgrade yearly. I upgrade every 4 years.) I only wish they would stop asking me to switch to the online version because it has far less features and costs a lot more to run, especially if you only upgrade every few years as I do.

Pros: Quickbooks has countless features, many I am still discovering after using it 12 fiscal years. I am not an accountant but I have done my own bookkeeping for years and found it very easy to learn.
I particularly like the bulk input for transactions, which is a huge time saver. The layout editor for forms allows me to customize my invoices, estimates, and receipts. Inventory is easy to track. I also appreciate the customizable fields for customers in the address book, unlike some other programs.

Cons: The support team used to be decent but last year I found it to be awful. I needed to convert some data and made an appointment, I kid you not, 8 times and each time the support person didn't call me until days later. Eventually they stopped even replying. This is a big red flag to me when a company's support drops. (And this was well before Covid, so they cannot use that excuse.)
They could also have much better functionality for importing CSV and other data to spare me entering it manually. Lastly, the limitation to be locked into one currency forever is frustrating.
The tax payment functionality is very buggy and I had to start my own wiki to navigate the various menus as they are not at all intuitive.
Ideally they would allow vendor bills to be entered but to delay inventory items in the system should a vendor require payment up-front before goods are shipped. This has caused inventory quantity issues many times.
The pressure to switch to the online version is ridiculous. They even removed the automatic foreign currency rate adjustments/updates in an attempt to force us to move to a new version. Not cool! If the functionality was there, why cancel it?
Lastly, be prepared to deal with a random data corruption issue every couple years. This is scary as heck when Quickbooks won't open or reconciliation numbers are damaged and no longer add up. Support is useless helping with this but I have found tricks on my own to repair it.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2021
Teunis K.
  • Reviewed on 07/10/2020

"Hands Down best accounting software for small to medium size business"

Comments: Thumbs up for this software. It has not only helped rum my business but also made me look good with banks and investors.

Pros: Quickbooks is a 123 easy software to use for your financial needs. If you are looking for a financial system to run your business this is it. Balance Sheet, Income Stament or account it has you covered.

Cons: Sometimes if you have horrible staff they can make mistakes that will take a long time to figure out and repair.

• Reviewed on 07/10/2020
Michael M.
Owner sole proprietor
Music, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2020

"My 2nd Try At a Bookkeeping Software"

Comments: I didn't need a Bookkeeping program, I had a business account, deposited all my receipts from the business into that account. I paid all my business bills from that account. The BANK did my books! We moved back to Wisconsin in '98 where I had to collect sales tax. So I got a Bookkeeping program to keep track of my sales tax.

Pros: It did what I needed it to do, kept track of my sales tax for the State and up to 8 Counties I serve. Due to it being installed on my desktop it was programed with the tax regulations for my state of Wisconsin. When it's time to file the sales tax you have to have the complete sales for the year and the complete sales number of non-taxable sales. QB Desktop Pro always had those numbers ready for me.

Cons: I had no one to teach me, I was figuring it out as I went along, so I didn't get some of the vendors put in correctly at first. I had to re-work parts of it for income tax time and I never did figure out how to connect my bank.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2020
Melissa B.
Accounts
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2018

"QUICKBOOKS PRO IS THE WAY TO GO"

Comments: It has made it a lot easier to keep track of the progress of the business. We can monitor the customers invoicing, their payments including methods of payments, dates of payments, as well as dates of services and what services were conducted with the codes that were readily available to be put to use. This is ultimately going to make the business a lot more valuable as we will be able to calculate the gross and net values produced by the business for any given season/month/year from now on; and when the time comes for retirement we will have a hard copy to show what the business is valued at.

Pros: Setup is so easy and efficient. Once you have your account information entered you log in and you're set to begin entering your customers/vendors/accounts. As you create them it's simple to sync them and enter payments all within the ease of clicking a button.

Cons: The first time of backing up the system was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find the file on my computer; however, I do believe that was a personal fault of mine and had nothing to do with the program itself.

by Intuit on 13/08/2018

Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave us your review, Melissa. Your comments are affirming to come across, as I loved reading QuickBooks is helping Lowers HVAC continue to grow. We're proud to be backing you and your team, and I know just where you can go should you ever have questions.

When you get a chance, explore our Community forum space a bit. This live Q&A space doubles as a troubleshooting library, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article on system backups: community.intuit.com/articles/1436816. Even though I'm confident you're a pro at backups by now, the article above highlights what the Community has to offer.

Delighted we're doing our part to keep you on track. I'm wishing you continued business success, so when the time for retirement comes around, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 12/08/2018
Karen M.
Property Manager
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/05/2017

"Comprehensive Product but it seems like the desktop version is being phased out"

Comments: If I was starting now, I would start with QuickBooks Online and save the hassle of trying to switch to it down the road.

Pros: QuickBooks Pro is a great program and I can't imagine using anything else to run my small business. You can set it up so many ways to make it work for what you want to track. I like the desktop version because all my online accounts have been hacked and I don't want my clients or my financial information out in the world because of me. I also like that I can use it if I don't have internet access which happens more times than you would think. I also like that I can run several small companies with just one version of the program.

Cons: Because they have QuickBooks Online, they have disabled or limited many download features in the desktop version. I can't get downloads from my bank anymore, for example. It is taking me longer and longer to do the same things and is having a negative impact on my one person business. I am looking into putting my 15 years of data into a format that will work well online and that is a bit daunting. It seems that how you use Jobs, Customers and Classes can vary greatly and sometimes will not work the same in the different versions. But, is seems that online is where everything is going so I need to put in more time now to make things easier going forward.

• Reviewed on 08/05/2017
Cheryl M.
Controller
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2017

"QuickBooks - Multi Talented"

Comments: I've used QuickBooks since 2011 and find it to be a solid low-cost product. QuickBooks Desktop and Online have attributes that assist the accountant and non-accountant alike to track important business key performance indicators.

Pros: QuickBooks can be the low-cost solution for many different types of businesses. It is easy to setup and manages, with many financial institutions allowing direct import of transactions, which speed use of the product. QuickBooks provides preset "samples" of types of entities that can help the average person, with little accounting experience, to get up and running fast.

Cons: The pro of QuickBooks, quick setup and use, is also a "con" of QuickBooks. Many business owners start with no professional accounting training, or advice, and tend to use QuickBooks as an "electronic check register" instead of a true accounting system.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2017
Joshua E.
CFO
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2020

"Nothing Compares"

Comments: Great experience. This product is well worth the money.

Pros: Very user friendly. This software is easy to train others to use. It allows for many users at one time, as well.

Cons: I would like to see some additional flexibility in the financial reporting area(s). A better statement of Cash Flows would be ideal.

by Intuit on 08/08/2020

It's great to hear that you've been able to easily dive into the product. To help improve the accuracy of your Cash Flow statement, please take a look at this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/financial-reports/how-to-run-a-statement-of-cash-flows/00/186392. Wishing you continued success! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 05/08/2020
Judy B.
Financial Manager
Philanthropy, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/11/2016

"Reservations to the review"

Comments: I am probably a more versatile user than most. I use it for profit-making and non-profit organizations both. There are some things QB does very well at the desktop version that the on-line version does less well. I have a lot of construction companies that I help with QB and the desktop version is far superior than the on-line version for them. Some of the reporting could be a little better. If you get a P&L by class code you end up with a total for the class code, and a total for the entire company, but when you only want to see one item you still get all those totals for all the "children, parents, grandparents, etc.". Also, QB doesn't have a certified payroll report which can be produced automatically. Big deal for anyone in public agency contracting of any sort requiring the payment of prevailing wages. General journal entries could be better also...you cannot have two A/R or A/P accounts in any one journal entry and sometimes you have to have the ability to transfer amounts. I've had some difficulties paying a refund to a customer, also. I think I finally found a work-around, but it should be easier. I think you need to be more up front with customers when they buy into QB as to what the rules about customer service will be. I hear a lot of stories about people calling for customer service, to get half an hour into the call to be told, "sure we can help you if you pay us for the service".

Pros: - easy to use for non-accountants ONCE it is set up properly
- easy to fix things after you have gotten started and realize you need to track things differently
- lots of options for tracking (class codes, customer codes, et al)

Cons: - item codes are too confusing for people to get set up properly
- sometimes too many options for tracking for the newer users

• Reviewed on 11/11/2016
Kimberly P.
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2019

"Best for Small Businesses"

Comments: QB has become a universal accounting software product. I use it daily for my own personal business and my 5 clients. Again, it is easy to use and understand.

Pros: I've been a QB user for many years. What I like most about this software is the ease of use and all of different functions and business applications it has.

Cons: Sometimes, QB has almost too much information. There are hundreds of reports to choose from, along with different business applications. Overload...

by Intuit on 05/08/2019

Thank you for being part of our QuickBooks family over the years, Kimberly. Business owners like yourself are who we had in mind when designing our software, so we're thrilled to hear that it has been easy to use and effective at helping you manage you and your clients' books. Sometimes it can be tough navigating the different features. We recommend checking out our Community page for tips on getting the most out of your software: (http://community.intuit.com/). There you'll also find discussions with your peers on a variety of topics and access to our support team should you have any questions.

Wishing you continued success!
Jen, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 04/08/2019
September S.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees

"Getting our feet wet"

Comments: Our small family-owned/operated manufacturing company has never bitten the bullet on accounting or inventory software until now. We finally determined that for our size and budget Quickbooks Pro would be the best option. There are two of us who use the system, on separate computers, so the setup was already a massive plus; me on a Mac and the boss on a PC. The Products and Services section will be a slow process for us to completely fill in, but we are custom manufacturers with about 2 million individual options, so the custom categories and product names system are working surprisingly well. Some features can be individually detailed in the description section of customer invoices. We are slowly integrating our bank details as well and look forward to a much easier tax season in 2018 as a result of the fully integrated system. Being able to see sale trends with some of the custom filtering and reports also looks to be an unanticipated coup for how we operate down the road.

Pros: Customized invoices, Filters for customers, invoices and products and services, Ability to fully customize product/service categories, online system compatible for Mac and PC – and the desktop apps that feel more secure than being a web browser, cost of service for the included features, the fully customized email and reminder messages to customers who are set to receive invoices by email.

Cons: We aren't setting up payments through QB, so I wish the invoices only showed a message about entering a customer's card info or offering the payment service occasionally if at all. We've said we don't want it and we don't pay for it – it shouldn't be front and center. We are a unique business in our order/production/payment process, so the Invoice Due Date sort of detail has to be estimated when an invoice is created.

Gregory M.
Pharmaceuticals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2018

"Quickbook Desktop Pro"

Comments: My year to year tax reports and interaction with my accountant are my best experience with QB Desktop Pro

Pros: This software is fairly easy to use AFTER you learn its ins and outs. It is true that you can write checks and pay almost everything online, after you set up accounts, etc.

Cons: UNSTABLE, especially after updates. All of my data would have been lost if I had not had duplicate backups.

by Intuit on 11/09/2018

Thanks a ton for your review, Gregory. I'd like to learn more about the instability you mentioned, as I'm here to ensure Pro is working as optimally as its designed to run. While creating a regular backup is always a brilliant idea, I also encourage you to check out this Community-hosted article on fixing unexpected behavior in our Desktop software: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1460106.

After you get a chance to work through the linked info, please feel more than free to email me directly ([email protected]). I have the expertise and visibility to help with QuickBooks crashes and performance issues, and I look forward to your message.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 06/09/2018
Robin M.
office manager
Media Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"Quickbooks is so easy and a great way to manage your business!"

Comments: I would definitely recommend this to a friend. In fact, I have recommended to several people who have decided to go with QuickBooks and have been pleased.

Pros: We use this software to run our business. We use Macs and need to be able to use a system that is Job Based. Quickbooks is user friendly to use. We pay the extra monthly charge for support. When we have had to use this, we have been able to reach tech support quickly and they have always been able to solve our issues.

Cons: When you change a customer address , it changes it for life. So if a customer moves, it doesn't show which orders are at the old address and which are at the new address. Also , if a customer has multiple locations, it just updates it each time - you can't pick from a list of locations.

Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2018

"Much Better Functionality"

Pros: The desktop version of Quickbooks has much better functionality and you have the ability to control a lot more than with the Online version of QuickBooks.

Cons: It's a little antequated looking. It's not as easy to access as the Online version.

by Intuit on 11/12/2018

As with any new software or program, there's always a learning curve. However, I'm here to make sure that curve isn't so steep. The two programs are very similar, but it's the layers of customization that the Desktop version has that sets it apart. Should you have any need for assistance, I encourage you to check out the QuickBooks Community website, or send me an email directly, any time. The Community site is a social space where customers like you can ask questions and discuss all things accounting and QuickBooks. You can find that site here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us
If you feel more comfortable emailing me directly, you can reach me at [email protected]
Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how everything is going!

Clay, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 27/11/2018
Leanne E.
Construction, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/06/2017

"Quickbooks Pro is not enough for contractors"

Comments: QuickBooks is a great program. It's easy for me, as I have an education background in bookkeeping and accounting. If you don't have a lot of knowledge, there is an amazing network of experts out there willing to help you with anything from the basics of setting up your company, to the more complicated tasks of building your own reports.

Pros: I'm very familiar with QuickBooks software. I was relieved to move back over to Pro, after trying to handle the bookkeeping for a general contracting office with QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Pro offers reports, functionality and job and vendor recordkeeping that you just can't find with the Online version.

Cons: QuickBooks Pro really lacks in Job reports. Some can be built by pulling multiple reports and feeding them into quickbooks and sorting and pulling the information you need. But if you really want full job tracking capabilities, I highly recommend moving up to Premier edition for contractos.

• Reviewed on 06/06/2017
Bev G.
Patient Liason
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"Makes small businesses run smoothly!"

Comments: QBD is an excellent choice for small business owners. It is very reasonably priced and easy to learn. I also love the fact that it provides templates for invoices and receipts. Another great feature is that when you post payment/checks - QBD creates your deposit slip for the bank. It also generates all of the financial reports you need - right there at your fingertips!

Pros: QuickBooks Desktop Pro (QBD) is an excellent small business accounting tool. It's user friendly and has all of the features you need to run your small business. We used it for an Automotive Repair Shop and it worked great! It allowed us to manage our inventory, print invoices, manage expenses and income and print reports. It also worked well with other third party applications swell as your bank.

Cons: Along with all of the good features of QBD there is some room for improvement. Sadly, it did not have a way to scan inventory into the system, causing us to have to enter information by hand - however this could have been user error. It was also frustrating that only so many users could have a log on. It would have been nice for each user to have their own so you know who is doing what. Also - customer support could have been better.

Chris M.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2019

"24 Years"

Pros: It just keeps working, it has been used at our company for the last 24 years, the ability to keep upgrading to a new version and keep your previous data is a big plus.

Cons: Sometimes it is not immediately obvious how to do something in the program, but there is a great support website with details on how to do pretty much anything you want to do.

by Intuit on 21/08/2019

Thanks for being a longtime member of the QuickBooks family, Chris. It's wonderful to hear that the software has been there with you throughout your small business journey! You can always count on us to have your back. If you haven't visited our Community, we invite you to check it out. Here you can locate articles and post questions that are answered by fellow users and the QuickBooks Team: community.intuit.com

We appreciate the great review!
David, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 14/06/2019
Michelle W.
Office manager
Building Materials, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/11/2019

"Easy"

Pros: I like that in one place you’re able to do banking, payroll, write checks, pay bills

Cons: It can be expensive and it takes a while to get customer support

• Reviewed on 05/11/2019
Gary T.
Executive Director
Philanthropy, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/11/2016

"Quickbooks Review-Avivara"

Comments: Our 501(c)(3) non-profit has used Quickbooks for Non-Profits the last nine years and have been very happy with the product overall. It has the flexibility to match our chart of accounts to the IRS 990 reports, and to handle multiple types of contributions (unrestricted, restricted, donations to affiliate programs, etc.) It reporting is also quite flexible and given both the standard reports and custom reports, we are able to provide our board with all the financial information it needs on a quarterly and yearly basis in a very timely manner. I would highly recommend this software to any non-profit looking to purchase accounting software for their organization.

Pros: Flexibility in designing the chart of accounts, the items' lists and reports. In general, over the years the support has been excellent whenever we have had a question.

Cons: It does take a pretty good knowledge of basic accounting and IRS and State reporting requirement to get the most out of the system. With their newest version (2017) they offered a new feature,"Insights," however that feature can only be used with a single currency setup, and there is no method available through Quickbooks support to change a company's database from a multi-currency setup to a single-currency setup. Hopefully, they will get this fixed in the near future.

• Reviewed on 08/11/2016
Cynthia Z.
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/03/2017

"Best Product on the Market Today!"

Comments: As a Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor I highly recommend this product for anyone in Small to Medium sized businesses. (SMB's). QB Desktop and QB Online will serve retailers, service organizations as well as manufacturers. They offer the desktop version for more robust reporting requirements and for those who prefer a mobile application QB Online would be the solution for you! QB Online is a fully interactive with your accountant!

Pros: The product is very intuitive and easy to use. QB ProAdvisors have access to multiple training products to help educate their clients and help them navigate the software. Excellent support tools & blogs to help you use less time on your "accounting" and more time on your "business"

Cons: There are so many options available, consult a QB ProAdvisor for solutions to your business needs!

• Reviewed on 08/03/2017
Kara R.
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"Easy to use"

Pros: We use QuickBooks Desktop Pro to handle all accounting aspects of our firm. Payroll integrates well with TSheets for keeping track of payroll expenses to be charged to individual projects. Very easy to use.

Cons: You are forced to upgrade your software subscription every year.

by Intuit on 28/08/2019

We know the business day can be hectic at times, Kara, but you can continue to rely on us to help you stay on top of the game! It's great to hear you've enjoyed using QuickBooks to manage all of your financial aspects, especially payroll. We recommend checking out our Blog for more info on ways we're working to improve and provide advanced features in newer version of the software: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv

Thank you for an awesome review!
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Amy R.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Customer Service is USELESS"

Comments: The program is fine but my overall customer service experience is horrendous. At no time have I called to resolve an issue and actually had someone on the phone with enough knowledge ( or any knowledge of the product at all ) to help me through my issue. I usually wind up using trial and error to figure it out on my own.

Pros: The basic functions are very easy to use. For the most part it is a good book keeping program. Do Not try to do anything that is NOT BASIC.

Cons: If you need to do something a little more advanced than normal it is very difficult to figure out how to do it and customer service is USELESS! The support team has never used the product and it shows every time I call.

by Intuit on 11/09/2019

Thanks for posting your honest review, Amy. This isn't the perception we hoped you'd have of the software. Our goal is to provide the best accounting software, along with support should you ever need it. It's discouraging this wasn't achieved for you, but we'd appreciate the chance to improve your outlook on QuickBooks. For a different way to get assistance, we recommend visiting the Community. In this space, you'll find an assortment of comprehensive articles. If you don't see the exact info you're looking for, you can post your own unique question to receive expert advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

We wish you and your business continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Don R.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2020

"Still the Champ"

Comments: Good. Plenty of support out on the web. Learned a lot through videos and forum posts.

Pros: It's still hands down the best small business accounting package out there. I like it better than QuickBooks online which I have also used. It's also a must if you have multiple companies as QBO will require multiple licenses.

Cons: The biggest drawback is that you cannot open more than one company at a time. If you do have multiple companies and are doing transactions between them, it can be cumbersome.

• Reviewed on 20/08/2020
Andrew T.
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2017

"Reliable and vertical program"

Comments: The program is so featured rich, that I use only part what is available. It is very nicely laid out, easy to understand and once you got used to the daily routine it is a breeze to use it. The only caution I would suggest to future users is that they must spend the time to learn as much as possible right at the initial learning curve. Once you got used to navigation, the user never spends time to bother exploring additional options. And that is a shame.

Pros: Very clean look and a feel of easy operation.

Cons: Perhaps too many options. While the program is flexible to customized for specific trade and or business, but most user do not have the time to set it right.