15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Whimsical

Whimsical is a visual collaboration software that enables users to create flowcharts, wireframes, mind maps, and documents.

Learn more about Whimsical

Pros:

I find it easily is offset by my earnings. The customer support is also very responsive and friendly.

Cons:

I have to strain my eyes just to see the XXL text. Pasting can be frustrating because the pasted image always appears in the same spot, rather than where I'm working.

Whimsical ratings

4.8
4.7
4.4
4.6

8.8/10

Whimsical has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 56 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Whimsical before?

Evelyn
Evelyn
Digital Marketing Manager & Content Creator in Portugal
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Excellent

Comments: We do employ Whimsical on a daily basis for several customers project, and we even invite them to collab with us, so we can take a better glimpse on their demands and wishes. It says clearly how glad we are employing this great tool.

Pros:

It does have a user-friendly interface. The free tier allows any user to make a lot of tasks The real time collab works as it should. There are plenty of features to organize and schematize any work load.

Cons:

The drag and drop feature is a little clumsy often, and it makes it a little difficult to manage some items simultaneously.

Gustavo
Gustavo
Director in Portugal
Market Research, 2–10 Employees

Excellent Choice

Comments: I can give this software 5 stars since it is super easy to employ, the tools are user-friendly, and it does offer several premium features for free users.

Pros:

This is the tool that cover many of different management software products. Creating flux diagrams, managing sections of a website, creating a schedule, producing organigrams, many things can be done with ease in this tool.

Cons:

I haven't found any considerable reason to dislike the software.

Amey
Lead application developer and project Cordinator in India
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Not Bad But Not Good Also!

Comments: I am using whimsical for one my project Insisted by client. We are using these software mostly for our roadmap discussion and to log future deployments and Ideas. Overall experience is so so not bad but not good also. There are some areas need to improve specially when we add cards into stacks. Little chaos will happened when users try to edit or add card simultaneously.

Pros:

I am using this software more than six month for project roadmap planning and retrospective discussions. Pros are like it is quick and drag drop cards works great. Easy to create workflow. Option for colouring is very handy.

Cons:

What i dislike about it is interface is not simple and difficult to understand at first. Collaboration is not that easy and difficult to align. Only limited sets of card can be displayed on stack user not aware of where they can find all list of cards

Swathy
Swathy
UX Designer in India

Excellent Product

Comments: Loving it!

Pros:

I absolutely love whimsical - I have been using it for 2 years now for my professional and personal projects. In particular, I love their Wireframes - no other paid or free software comes anywhere close to this feature. Another thing I love about Whimsical is their support team - they are super quick to respond to any queries that you have!

Cons:

Mind maps are always 1 to Many mapping - Many to 1 are not possible but again it's not a deal-breaker

Bonita
Bonita
Digital Designer in Indonesia
Design, 11–50 Employees

Just like the name, it's fun and fantastic

Comments: Before Whimsical, I was struggling to switch between 3 different software and documents just to create, collab, and present UX deliverables. But now I can do them all in Whimsical and even invite other team members to collab on the design or to give feedback! Not to mention the tools are pretty straightforward so I'm less likely to overthink and just focus on making design ideas tangible :)

Pros:

What I like the most is the Time Machine features, I hope they will release the stable version soon and maybe release a desktop app in the future.

Cons:

It's troublesome if I wanted to open another board in a new tab when I'm inside a project board. I have to type in whimsical.com in my browser to brings me to the project dashboard so I can open the other board in a new tab.

Design, 11–50 Employees

I can't believe that making diagrams can be so easy.

Comments: It can be summed in making diagrams has never been easier and the interface is so nice, I just love how easy it has made my work on documenting processes, and user flows. Wonderful product, and you can try it for free, so what are you waiting for?

Pros:

- Beautiful interface - Very easy to use: I mean how easy you can connect pieces in a diagram is almost unreal. - Collaborative and cloud based - You can create folders to keep your diagrams ordered and easy to find - Easy to share diagrams, and get feedback in the same file. - A free tier

Cons:

I can't think of any, I've been using this software nonstop for the past few months. And it always amazes me how fast you can build diagrams, it has made the task of documenting so easy too. I love it.

Vincent Po
Vincent Po
Managing Director & Global Chief Marketing & Technology Officer in Canada
Information Services, 2–10 Employees

One of the best Mindmap apps

Comments: Overall, it's my favourite mind mapping tool. I don't really use it for the other type of diagramming, mostly the mind mapping feature.

Pros:

Whimsical has become my favourite mind mapping app. I used to use apps like Xmind but Whimsical is much nicer and beautiful to use. I tried the mind mapping feature in Clickup but it doesn't compare at all to Whimsical. This is so much easier to use.

Cons:

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. The only confusing thing with it is you can't "delete" mind maps.

Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Whimsical makes drawing beautiful diagrams super easy

Comments: Non technical staff needed to draw process flows, etc and found Visio too cumbersone and fiddly.. plus all the 'style' had to be applied manually and formatted manually.

Pros:

Drawing diagrams is extremely easy. Lines join up automatically, curve when they need to.. gone are the days of fiddling with alignment and trying to grab little placement handles with the mouse cursor. The resulting diagrams are also extremely sexy - with that modern flat look by default. Whimsical make your diagrams look like you hired a graphic designer.

Cons:

There are not enough templates to create all the diagrams types necessary, with all the details necessary

Volodymyr
Volodymyr
Marketing Content Manager in Ukraine

Well-oiled flowcharting tool

Comments: Whimsical doesn't really offer anything special but it does its job really well.

Pros:

If you need to do the job nice and easy - Whimsical is a go-to tool. Within a couple of clicks you can make all the stuff you need - wireframe mock, proof of concept, diagrams to back-up your presentation, the list goes on. It is easy to get into and simple to use. It is also very good for collaborative projects.

Cons:

Free trial version features are limited and the full version costs a penny. This may be a huge turn off for those who need this kind of a tool but doesn't have the budget for it.

Gonzalo
Gonzalo
Content Manager in Argentina
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

An awesome white-boarding web app

Comments: As part of the UX team, Whimsical helped us tremendously in visually capturing our user experience needs and diagramming our apps and websites more effectively.

Pros:

Whimsical is a great tool ideal for designing workflows, mindmaps, wireframes, among others. It is extremely intuitive, any new user can use it without problems and the fact that it is a collaborative tool gives it a plus.

Cons:

It has some limited design features, for example, you can't use custom colors (only those provided by the app). There are other apps (such as Miro) that include almost everything that Whimsical has to offer, and more.

Whimsical Response

2 years ago

Hi Gonzalo - Thank you for the thoughtful review and great feedback! You and your team can customize your color options with themes - here is a doc that will help you get started, and don't hesitate to email us at [email protected] if you have additional questions. https://help.whimsical.com/article/615-themes-and-custom-colors

Martin
CEO in US
Real Estate, Self Employed

Boards, Flow Charts, and Mind Maps and much more! EASY and BEAUTIFUL!

Comments: I'll keep it very short! After trying a few different software for flowcharting, mind mapping, and boards or what whimsical call Sticky Notes which combines the two... This has been a pleasant surprise it's beautiful, it's easy especially for a guy that's not from an engineering or project management background, and it just works really well. Best of all it combines most of the tools we need to create projects or designs in one easy and affordable tool. The icing on the cake which is how I found out about it is that this integrates well with Notion so now I can embed the tools I create into Notion and manage it all there. Please keep making it better its got so much potential

Pros:

The software looks very clean and polished with easy navigation and controls everything works well. You have most of the tools for project management in 1 software. If you use Notion is very well integrated with it which is what originally sold me on it. It's so easy to use goodbye Trello (never embraced it), Lucidchart (not bad but for simple process/flowcharting this is better), and a few other Mind Map software that never did it for me.

Cons:

I haven't found one but I'm still kind of new to it and I just hope they keep making it better.

Julien
Julien
Founder in France
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Easiest-to-use flowchart and wireframing tool

Comments: Whimsical is a joy to use on a daily basis. It manages to be as good at flowcharts as it is at wireframing. Of course you won't go as far as you would with Figma or Moqups, but it's plenty enough to materialize ideas, in a personal or professional context. And it's pretty cheap for what it offers !

Pros:

Tools to create all kinds of charts are legion. So are tools for wireframing. Some are easy to use, some do great things. Very few manage to achieve both at the same time, but Whimsical does.

Cons:

Not much to criticize there. In the wireframing library, some additional components would be nice to have.

Nagela
Strategist in US
Market Research, 2–10 Employees

Beautiful and Easy to Use

Comments: Completely easy and satisfying to use. I am able to embed my board into other software - which increases the usability.

Pros:

Creating mind maps, charts, and the like is a visual exercise -Whimsical has designed something so beautiful that it gets the creative juices flowing. It so easy to walk my team through the things I create in whimsical without any kind of learning curve.

Cons:

Would love to see a few more features to populate my diagrams with more helpful content. For example, embedded docs or websites.

Fady
Fady
Digital Marketer in Egypt
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Best mindmap app

Comments: It has a user-friendly interface, this tool is made with the mindset of quality and getting things done without overwhelming features, with its minimal interface, I could brainstorm my ideas, plan my projects and make my mind maps.

Pros:

Easy to understand, easy drag and drop features, and very clean with easy navigation and control. I have used too many tools before, but nothing provides what Whimsical provides in its free plan.

Cons:

There is nothing I can dislike about this tool, but maybe adding more features to the mind mapping panel will be great.

Mohamed
Associate Payments in Jordan
Banking, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Helps teams find the best ways to plan joint tasks

Comments: It is wonderful how, thanks to Whimsical, we were able to involve all team members in preparing comprehensive dashboards that visually illustrate the workflow charts and models that have been agreed upon, so that all members have the ability to accurately understand the duties, sequence of operations, and required procedures.

Pros:

Whimsical is one of the best tools for teamwork, as it enables us to interact in real time through the many tools it provides to easily collect, synthesize, and present ideas. It's great how we can gather team input, and our customizable ready-made templates help us a lot, so we can collaborate on graphs, wireframes, and flowcharts and bring them out with great visualization. In addition, Whimsical also enables us to insert and format all the notes and add shapes, images and videos within the boards with ease.

Cons:

Whimsical is free of complications, but sometimes when the canvas contains a lot of text boxes, shapes, and arrows, the system becomes slow and this may pose some difficulties in linking and coordinating the components as required.

Internet, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Honestly the best

Comments: Here's an example of one of the times Whimsical saved me: we had a super urgent fix my team needed to make with our software, but everyone kept talking in circles because there were so many different scenarios we needed to account for. I quickly put together a flowchart in Whimsical and sent it out so that everyone could get on the same page. I had to keep updating the diagram, which would have been a huge pain if I were creating a file in Sketch, then exporting it and emailing out each version to everyone. But with Whimsical, I could make all the changes I wanted and anyone with the link could see the latest changes in real time. It made everything so much smoother.

Pros:

I rarely get this excited about a product, but Whimsical changed my daily workflow. It is so easy to create easy, elegant diagrams and wireframes. And it's even easier to share - just send anyone a link and they'll be able to access the latest version of what you're working on.

Cons:

I can only think of really minor things, like when I'm trying to comment on someone's diagram, some of the elements are not eligible to have comments added to them (like arrows and text).

Thang
Thang
Senior iOS Developer in Finland
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Intuitive drawing tool for software design

Comments: We are a team of ~ 10 members work along other teams to do software development. Obviously we need drawing tool to share and publish idea and proposal to other. Whimsical has ended our search for the drawing tool.

Pros:

The best drawing tool I ever used for solution design. Everything is perfect from UI/UX to functionality. I can create flow charts and share with colleagues easily and even collaborate on them in real time.

Cons:

There is nothing I don't like from Whimsical. In fact I never look back to older tool once I got the taste of the tool.

Erin
Marketing Consultant in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Wireframe building made easy

Comments: Since discovering Whimsical, I have been able to create wireframes and sales funnels so much quicker. I am a visual person, so I need to see these types of diagrams mapped out in front of me in order to visualize the big picture. It's also a great source for reference as I am building the wireframe or trying to explain/understand a click funnels process from A to Z.

Pros:

I am using the free version and it makes wireframe building so much easier. I struggled with how to build and present wireframes to my clients until I discovered Whimsical. Now I can visualize and build quickly and then use them as a guide when I build/design the website. Also, it makes it easier to visualize sales funnels which I appreciate.

Cons:

It's a bit complicated at first, trying to get the directional arrows to go where they are supposed to and figuring out how to use all the elements in the way I intend. I got frustrated the first time I used it because the elements didn't behave the way I expected them to. I think it just takes practice. I did not watch or read any tutorials, which I am sure would have helped.

Jean
Jean
CEO, Digital Creator in US
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Whimsical brings my streams of thought to life and is a WINNING tool for my business growth.

Comments: I'm an ideas person and I feel unable to move forward with my goals when I cannot get my thoughts out. It is also a challenge for me to express what I'm thinking in a way where people will understand not only the context but the call to action. Using whimsical, I have been able map out my ideas in a flow and shift around what makes sense for all areas of my business growth and development. I've been able to share this map so my team can help me more effectively and understand the plan.

Pros:

I love the ability to map out on a huge board that accommodates with the right visual design tools so I can put my business ideas "on the screen". I love how much I can do with it.

Cons:

I love whimsical for what it is. I'm not sure what could be added or improved upon per say. I will genuinely think about this though.

Emily
Manager - Customer Support in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

This is an outstanding tool with next-level support

Comments: Whimsical is the only platform I'll use for mind-mapping and process building. The support materials and individuals who provide support are unmatched in quality. The platform itself is extremely easy to use, pleasing to the eye, and more intuitive to me than others I've used.

Pros:

I love the overall aesthetic of this product and I feel like it's very user-friendly and flexible, especially for non-PMP certified individuals like myself.

Cons:

There are some finicky behaviors when it comes to moving objects while maintaining uniform sizing and orientation, but I received superior support and guidance that made those minor issues obsolete. Big shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT] for resolving my challenge. He should truly be narrating documentaries and instructional videos for this and every platform.

Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Whimsical is whimsical

Comments: It's a great product, but there are free options (draw.io) that get job done. I would only recommend if your team has wiggle room in the budget.

Pros:

As a lover of flowcharts, this product blew me away. It's overflowing with features that facilitate diagrams, mind maps, and prototypes too. As a PM, I can make very detailed prototypes for smaller tasks and not even need to request formal wireframes from our Design team! Also great for documenting how stuff works in your business. Really helped me get onboarded quickly. A visual-learner's delight.

Cons:

There are some really small but hyper annoying nuisances. 1) the text options are way too small. I have to strain my eyes just to see the XXL text. 2) Pasting can be frustrating because the pasted image always appears in the same spot, rather than where I'm working. I have to scroll "miles" to find the thing that I pasted just to drag it to the relevant portion of my diagram,

Bobbi
Bobbi
Head of People in UK
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

It's great at what it does

Comments: I really like it for what it does, and I appreciate how polished the final designs always look.

Pros:

I really like how easy Whimsical is to use, as you just drag/drop shapes and easily connect them to make diagrams and flowcharts. It's great for showing my thinking and creates polished-looking visuals. The design is great and the colour scheme is eye-catching.

Cons:

It's great at what it does, but the use-cases for me are limited. I mostly use it for creating flowcharts, which is very useful but there's not much else I would personally use it for.

Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Quick, easy, uncomplicated mockups

Comments: I've used it professionally and personally for ux design and writing practice and paid projects.

Pros:

I LOOOOVE whimsical. It was my first use for ux design and so intuitive I picked it up right away. I use it for both personal use where it's easy and quick for mockups, flowcharts, wireframes, you name it, and for professional use where I can easily share with a client. I pay for the basic version for multiple boards. I find it easily is offset by my earnings. The customer support is also very responsive and friendly :)

Cons:

Not being able to crop imported images bugs me. Usually this is no problem, but when you're looking to make a mockup for a pre-existing site, this can irk. Please insert this feature! It will only make me love you more.

Jon
Jon
CTO in US

Create Simple, Beautiful Diagrams Very Quickly

Comments: I'm very glad to have found Whimsical. For years, I've been creating simple to moderately-complex architecture and service diagrams using Google Draw. That process has worked, but it's been tedious and unpleasant. I spend more time tinkering with the drawing to make it look good than I do thinking about what I'm diagramming. I found other applications (draw.io, LucidCharts, etc) to have a similar experience. Whimsical has been a breath of fresh air. It provides only the tools I really need, and it looks beautiful by default. It's let me "brainstorm" out diagrams very quickly, which is what I needed: to focus on architecting, not on fiddling with diagrams. The output (PNG, share link, etc) is super convenient to use, and it's a breeze to drop into slides and other documentation. Thanks for the great tool, Whimsical team!

Pros:

Whimsical is super easy to learn and use, and the diagrams that it produces are beautiful. It feels like very well polished software; it's not quirky or buggy like other solutions. I LOVE the infinite zoom - we can capture an ever-expanding arena of ideas.

Cons:

I haven't found anything I don't like! It's not very feature rich - but it's not supposed to be.

Stephanie
Design Manager in US
Package/Freight Delivery, 11–50 Employees

HUGE Whimsical Fan

Pros:

What don't I like?! The prototyping is amazing. The sticky notes, the flowcharts, the mind maps--I literally use it all! It's also been incredible in setting up and running my very first 100% remote design sprint, and I've been able to guide the team solely in this product. That's REALLY powerful! I am so impressed. Also love that you can copy and paste elements from different file types into one another. It's so fluid and intuitive. I have not one bad thing to say. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Cons:

Nothing I dislike, but perhaps one recommendation would be to allow layered file exports into programs like Figma. That would be AMAZINGGGGG!