15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About DiskStation

With Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) you can set up and run various virtual machines, including Windows and Linux, on Synology NAS.

Learn more about DiskStation

Pros:

Disk station have many feature and function for small to large business. Easy to access from anywhere and rapid access to your personal files.

Cons:

To set up remote login was a bit tricky specially setting up a DDNS.

DiskStation ratings

4.6
4.2
4.7
4.6

9.2/10

DiskStation has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 90 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used DiskStation before?

Harshit
Harshit
Software intern in India
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

A worthy product for all developers

Comments: Best product and definitely worth giving a try

Pros:

The software is designed in such way that it provides a fastest cloud services and our own virtual machine at an insanely low price

Cons:

I am using this software for over 6 months have nothing like cons.

Bill
Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Excellent small business solution

Comments: Using ABfB to backup my customers' servers and PCs off-site, and to backup my own local data to B2. So easy to use I backup all my managed PCs for bare metal restore. I can do this because ABfB's dedupe is very good at reducing storage used. Tested restores come up ready to put back into production.

Pros:

The deduping is excellent at conserving space. Several different backup methods including multi-version, incremental and full-system bare metal restore. Can backup Linux servers agentless using SSH keys. Restores so far have been consistently solid. File and folder restores can be initiated from the NAS or the client computer. A report can be emailed daily or weekly showing the status of all backups. Backup as many computers as your bandwidth can handle -- there are no per-machine licensing costs.

Cons:

No bare metal restore for Linux. I have numerous servers, desktops and laptops running Debian, Devuan, and Ubuntu that would be nice to be able to recover without rebuilding.

Fabruzio
Technician in Italy
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Synology DiskStation, a must for secure your data

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Synology diskstation is my backup repository, I save a copy of my data and also several mailbox accounts. So this helps to meet GDPR compliance.
The initial setup was easy and I can find a lot of documentation on internet, or eventually ask for help to Synology support.

Pros:

The interface is simple and intuitive. You can set the nas and install/configure services and apps (I recommend a RAID 5 disk configuration for better performance). I use Diskstation as backup repository for email accounts and data. As data backup, Email backup is crucial too and you can backup e.g. all your 365 mailboxes and features. Also you can set remote backups of your data. Definitely worth the price.

Cons:

DIskstation works well and I don't have any issue to tell

Brian
Tech Manager in US
, 11–50 Employees

Solid & functional

Comments: My business has been using DiskStation for the last four years. Aside from the occasional hiccup, it has worked admirably. We use it for basic music playback in our music school. We have one at each of our locations, synced so that changes made to one location are reflected at the other. The response is slow at times, particularly when using a remote connection.

Marwan
Technical Support in Jordan
Construction, 51–200 Employees

DiskStation is the best and cheapest backup solution.

Comments: DiskStation is the best solution that I use. and has a wide range of integration.

Pros:

DiskStation is cheap and stable, with a large store of applications to integrate with everything. DiskStation can connect to the C2 cloud smoothly.

Cons:

After 5 years of using Diskstation, I didn't find a major con. We can say the frequent updates were annoying.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Owner in Canada
Design

Synology Diskstation has been an incredibly valuable resource for business and home solutions.

Pros:

The amount of first-party apps which are aimed at solving a lot of tasks users may have is what makes this software suite great. Other NAS providers may aim at a handful of media and downloading softwares, but Synology makes it clear out of the gate that their focus is on productivity. They produce apps which handle everything from CRM and CMS installations to security camera integration, to virtualization. The sheer value proposition of Diskstation makes it difficult to view this as a valuable product. Their customer service is also spot-on - we had to run an RMA through their center and both Email and Phone support were prompt and helpful.

Cons:

The only issue I have found is either the learning curve of the software is a bit too high for some use cases, or the software doesn't dive deep enough into it outright replacing everything we are using. While I see incredible value for others with the mail server, for instance, it cannot perform everything we need and so it isn't being used. This is only a minor issue though, as I am confident there is something for everybody on in this product.

Stacey
Stacey
Systems Administrator in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy to use, full featureset.

Comments: I have installed multiple Synology NAS systems for different labs on campus. Built-in multiple 10Gb networking provides fast access. AD integration provides simple authentication path for changing class rosters allowing simple turnover from semester to semester.

Pros:

Provides a intuitive interface to what could be complex configurations. Linux based with a web management interface that allows granular control of configuration. Great support for Active Directory authentication. Security updates are prompt and backwards compatible. The current system software run on the most recent Synology hardware as well as the older hardware. The only thing missing from older hardware are Intel CPU dependent features suck as virtualization. All add-on software modules that you need are freely available for installation via the Package manager.

Cons:

Older or lower end hardware uses a slower ARM CPU. This limits performance compared with Intel CPU based hardware.

Founder in South Korea
Internet, Self Employed

The Best Way to Manage and Backup Your Data

Pros:

DiskStation is so user-friendly. The menus are easy to navigate and you can find what you're looking for very quickly. Setup is a breeze and the add-ons give you more functionality without any added cost. I love the virtual desktop environment that Synology has created for DiskStation. It feels like I'm using another OS but I think that's a good thing. The environment is different enough so I don't confuse it with my main OS but familiar enough so I can do what I need to quickly. Synology has made backing up critical data effortless and made accessing that data very convenient.

Cons:

The software is great but the online support material is lacking in a big way. I wish there were more videos produced by Synology to help users understand the advanced features of the software. It also feels like I'm downloading updates all the time.

Kevin
Kevin
IT Manager in US
Oil & Energy

It works and its dirt cheap. Solid NAS. Support could drastically improve.

Comments: The cost of storage and the functions, this is a great investment with no learning curve.

Pros:

Pretty much everything but support. Assuming you bought the bare model, you populate the drives. Then use the utility that finds it by MAC and you assign an IP. Connect, and you'll find a rather pretty GUI that resembles windows 7. Updates and simple, and frequently released. 3rd party and native apps are abound. Its also dead simple to set up replication, if you wanted to setup a second unit for DR or backups. I also personally use one at home, using it as a plex host for my home theater, and it performs flawlessly.

Cons:

Support isn't great, and it's overseas. Expect to conduct it all via email, and responses are not quick, Still, its so solid you may never need to contact them. Compared to the costs of a SAN, and other NAS, this should be a no brainer.

Reed
Reed
President in US

Reliable Drive Array, but it's the software that makes the difference

Comments: 40 TB of space for my company team, to share data and collaborate. This works quite well for our business.

Pros:

DiskStation and its added packages make the Synology the best NAS available for small to medium businesses, including SOHO. A perfect suite of software packages, most available for free, to use on your PC or mobile device.

Cons:

I really want a BookStation or DS Books app to keep track of my massive library of digital book titles.

Asanka
Technical Consultant in Sri Lanka
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Worth every penny and then some

Comments: I have had a excellent experience with DiskStation software and hardware. It's easy to setup and you will be up and running in no time because of this. I really loved the user experience and was pleasantly surprised by how fast the software was.

Pros:

I love the simplicity and the speed of the software. You feel like working on a native app, without the overheads of a native app. It's surprisingly snappy, responsive and feels very polished. It's featured enough for even a middle sized organization.

Cons:

Some notifications point towards actions that needs to be taken (as an example, security gives some suggestions for making your setup more secure). The notification will tell you what need to be done. However, sometimes the instructions can become bit confusing (finding the exact place to execute the instructions). Notification should make a link to whatever the section of the configuration the changes need to be done and take the user there. However this is very minor, and as the time goes by - i got to know what it means by simply looking at the message. (it's not the most intuitive for a first time user though)

Carlos
Designer in Venezuela
Design, 2–10 Employees

Good for starting better for growing

Comments: Been a small team of creative people with no technical experience in server installation and management, Synology did offer us the perfect solution for growing our business.

Pros:

- Very powerfull an easy to configure for a novice user (0 prior experience in server instalation). - Very stable and reliable. We start with a small size server, and after 3 years we move to a bigger solution. We decide to remaing with Synology primearly because of the features and ease of use of it operating system.

Cons:

- There are some bugs that have to be solved by commandline, which it´s something kind of nerve-raking. - The Drive integration still need improving. - The online tutorials and guides could be better.

Joseph
Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

DiskStation does the job

Pros:

A lot options to customize the experience to fit my needs.

Cons:

Permissions are not straightforward. This could be a problem for less tech savvy users.

Matthew
Owner/Photographer in US
Photography, 2–10 Employees

Simple. Robust. Customizable. Effective. Reliable.

Comments: Per-device local & remote backup. Local redundant file storage. Fast & secure NAS solution.

Pros:

Clean interface. Ease of access. Customizable. 3rd Party App support & security. It just WORKS, ALWAYS.

Cons:

I do not have anything that I would attribute to a Con in all truth.

Warren
Technology Adviser in UK
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 51–200 Employees

Really powerful, rock-steady, and the leader in NAS

Pros:

Rock-steady reliability. Have used DiskStation for years and it has never failed me. For prosumers and small/medium businesses nothing else comes close - you'd need enterprise-level budgets to be able to get anything more reliable / powerful.

Cons:

Learning curve might be a bit high for someone with zero experience. It's worth the time investment learning though!

Consultant in Sweden
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Great product

Pros:

Awesome Nas software which does all you want and then some. I sincerely recommend this over any other kind of Nas that's available out there.

Cons:

Nothing, it's just a Great product. The only thing I miss is being able to run my own hardware.

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

I absolutely love this NAS

Comments: Wonderful. I love this device. I highly recommend it and have already suggested one to multiple friends and family members.

Pros:

This NAS might be the best purchase I have ever made. I love this Synology's software and hardware. I cannot live without this NAS.

Cons:

It would be nice if Synology offered some higher end hardware. The NAS does everything I need, but it would be nice if you could purchase higher end versions with modern Intel i5/i7 or or AMD Ryzen chips and more ram.

Utilities, 201–500 Employees

Ease of implementation

Pros:

The ease of implementation of this server with DiskStation and software is a massive plus for synology.

Cons:

To set up remote login was a bit tricky specially setting up a DDNS. However, the community is very helpful.

Lewis
Lewis
Head of ICT in UK
Music, 201–500 Employees

Quality product but with a hefty price tag

Comments: The ease of use and included functionality of the synology diskstations make these an ideal choice for someone looking for a simple, reliable solution for an easy set and forget home nas

Pros:

The GUI of the software is excellent Functionality is very good Very reliable and easy to use Range of applications available that can be installed very easily (plex etc)

Cons:

The cost of synology systems are very expensive, for a technical user it's hard to justify the high price tag when something similar can be achieved by creating your own home server

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Good in-expansive NAS

Comments: Use multiple NASes for work.

Pros:

Easy to use. Reliable. Reasonably secure. Not too buggy. Good feature set.

Cons:

Price could be lower while keeping the same quality.

Computer & Network Security, 11–50 Employees

A very good OS makes a very good NAS

Pros:

I was skeptical when deciding about a new NAS. Synology was for sure an expensive solution, but all reviews I've read came to the conclusion that it works due to having the best OS out there. So I got it and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the OS, it's set of features are also endless. It has all kinds of NAS-related features, but also a lot of features you can use in a small business, it pretty much can replace a small server.

Cons:

Nothing so far, no issues, no problems. Only thing that comes to mind is that it's expensive compared to other similar devices in terms of hardware.

, 51–200 Employees

Great virtual machine on my Nas!

Pros:

Synology Virtual Machine Manager is an easy-to-use virtual machine. It runs well every kind of OS (make sure you allocate enough memory for it). It is also have a great feature that allows you to move virtual machine without stopping them

Cons:

Requires a memory upgrade to be used on home Nas. Apart from that the software is really well done and doesn't come with flawed functionalities.

Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Love my Synology

Comments: Great!

Pros:

Backing up multiple Macs, backing itself up to another Synology drive or S3 and USB is seamless. Very easy to use and set up.

Cons:

Sometimes the less utilized software could be explained better

Klavs
Video Producer in Denmark
Media Production, Self Employed

Backup is the keyword

Comments: So far I've been satisfied, the DiskStation gave me an alert of a failing harddrive which I just removed and plugged in a new one, and then it just kept going after that. It's been flawless after that.

Pros:

DiskStation is great, the hardware they offer is great - and whatever need you have, either it's just local backups or it's a DiskStation state of the art video editing drive, they have it.

Cons:

it does need a bit of tinkering and technical abilities, but whenever it's up and running - it runs.

Logan
Business analyst in Australia
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Best NAS drive interface I have ever seen

Pros:

Easy to use Pleasents and powerful interface Accessible over the internet Downloadable add-ons and extensions to improve functionality

Cons:

Occassional lag over the internet (con of any remote interface)