• Overall
    4.8 /5

About OnPay

OnPay's award-winning payroll and HR saves business owners over 15 hours a month and frees them up to focus on what's most important.

Learn more about OnPay

John W.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/11/2017

"Onpay is by far the easiest and cheapest payroll service I have used."

Pros: anyone can use it, just wish on this review you didn't have to use a minimum of 100 characters to submit it

Cons: I have no cons with the software but cannot do this review unless I use a 100 characters, so I am just babbling

• Reviewed on 29/11/2017
Michelle P.
Administrator
  • Reviewed on 10/01/2018

"Great product and even greater customer support!"

Pros: Ease of use and the ability to make changes to our payroll online. Additionally there are so many features available with this product that makes using a payroll service obsolete. It is truly a one-stop shop for all of your payroll needs.

• Reviewed on 10/01/2018
David S.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/12/2018

"The last payroll company you will ever need."

Comments: Spend less time doing payroll freeing me up for doing things that can help build my business.

Pros: Ease of use, very intuitive combined with extremely professional and polite customer service personnel there when needed.

Cons: Can’t think of anything. I haven’t encounter an issues.

• Reviewed on 01/12/2018
Hiroko K.
Operations Lead
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

"Customer Support Lives!"

Comments: The customer service by phone is never a long wait and people are patient, knowledgeable and supportive. It’s been a long time since I’ve experienced such service.

Pros: Graphically simple and easy to use for someone with ZERO online payroll experience.

Cons: There are a few “hidden” collapsed buttons that required help in seeking access to alternative forms of payment, for example, “owners draw”.

Nicolai S.
Production Assistant
  • Reviewed on 04/10/2017

"This software has proven itself to be a reliable and accessible digital payroll service."

Pros: There's a clear layout and access to clear reporting trends, which I wasn't expecting with a smaller company. Their mobile site is also very much on point, and I find it easy to run payroll even when I'm not around.

Cons: The one issue that I have is that I can't get reports on specific run times- I can only get the data for specific days, even if there were multiple separate pay runs on that date. If I need to exclude sets, I need to do so manually.

• Reviewed on 04/10/2017
John L.
Agency Owner
Insurance, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/03/2020

"Great value and support"

Pros: Onpay provided a much better value to my small business with the simple pricing and the excellent support. The transition from my previous big name payroll company to Onpay was pretty simple and they were very helpful completing the process.

Cons: I would like to see a smart phone friendly app for the employee to make the access a little smoother but I don't have any other "wants" at this point.

• Reviewed on 31/03/2020
Cal L.
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2021

"Good Bang for the $$$"

Comments: Extremely happy. It has all I need and the costs are reasonable for a small business like mine.

Pros: Extremely easy to use especially for those people not into software.

Cons: I travel internationally and you can use this product when you are outside the US, so I have to either delay payroll or run it before I leave on long trips.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2021
Ryan C.
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2020

"On pay for payroll"

Pros: Ease of usage. Accounting is taken care of by onpay, along with tax payments and form

Cons: Nothing, it is very well put together and offer us a big savings.

• Reviewed on 10/02/2020
Mohamed A.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/01/2021

"Perfect Application for Easy to Use Payroll"

Pros: Very easy to use payroll software, without a lot of bells and whistles. This keeps the price down, and is perfect for less than 10 employees.

Cons: No time tracking capability, and does not integrate with our current time tracking solution.

• Reviewed on 20/01/2021
Bruno F.
Computer Hardware, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2019

"Quick and easy payroll"

Comments: Very good, always have help available.

Pros: I find the interface very easy to use, the reports have the information we need and everything works as it should. I appreciate the live chat for quick questions.

Cons: Nothing, everything works as it should .

• Reviewed on 07/05/2019
Gary C.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/06/2021

"Great value and a real time saver"

Comments: Using Onpay makes payroll so, so easy for me. It saves me time and hassles. I’m extremely satisfied with the product and their service.

Pros: Onpay makes doing payroll so simple once you get it set-up and start using it. The learning curve was pretty easy overall. It’s not complicated to use.

Cons: When using a tablet instead of a computer, you may not be able to access everything. It’s still very easy to process payroll, but you can’t chat with customer service or access some of the lesser used features. If you primarily use a tablet for things, you understand that this is a normal limitation.

• Reviewed on 08/06/2021
Valerie D.
VP
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2019

"Easy and Inexpensive"

Comments: Excellent - payroll is now quick and easy. Support staff is extremely helpful.

Pros: It's easy to use - payroll is quick and painless

Cons: If an employee has a one time deduction, you have to dig down into the employee profile to include the deduction and then, once payroll's complete, you have to go back into the employee profile and unclick the deduction; otherwise it will take it again next payroll. You should be able to check a box on the payroll page so you don't have to hop around.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2019
Ron T.
Facilities Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2020

"OnPay for a small business"

Comments: Excellent! I loooove that my taxes information is all organized and taken care of automatically and 1099s are readily available for contractors. A primary thing for me is customer support when I have questions and that has always been excellent.

Pros: I have been using OnPay for over 4 years now. It has always been easy to use and they have had excellent customer service. Never a delay in getting help. Great value.

Cons: Getting folks set up as contractors vs. employees has been the one struggle/frustration. It has been something they have been developing.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2020
Kevin L.
  • Reviewed on 03/06/2020

"Everything you need it to be an more"

Comments: OnPay has worked seamlessly for us. I would highly recommend.

Pros: Very easy to setup and use for a small business. If you need help, support is great to deal with.

Cons: Integrations with quick books are good, but lack some of the features you get with payroll through quickbooks.

Bruce W.
Buisness Owner
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2018

"It works as long as it works. If theres a compilation go ahead and cancel the account."

Pros: Dashboard right online where I can customize all my payroll calculations. I can handle everything from the my laptop.

Cons: You get what you pay for. Onpay is an inexpensive solution to payroll needs for a small business. Sometimes it can be difficult to get a good accountant to take on a small account. It was perfect as far as scale goes and its a really brilliant concept. The trouble came when my state Department of Revenue blocked Onpay from fileing my payroll taxes. There did seem to be a legitimate issue and I am convinced that the guys and gals at Onpay were taking the correct steps to file my taxes but "shockingly" there seemed to be some incompetence on part of my state government. So why am I disappointed in Onpay? When they were unable to make the filing on my behalf they informed me of the difficulty and asked me to verify the information I provided. I was back and forth with the State and Onpay multiple times. Reassured the information was correct... Informed it still didn't work... this cycle played out two or three times. This is the point at which I feel Onpay failed me as a customer. Instead of reaching out and assigning A resolution specialist to run this thing to ground, they let me out to dry. because I messed around trying to get Onpay to help me resolve the issue I am now incurring penalties and am faced with paying a tax profesionals consulting fee to work the tangles out of my tax filings. My advice, go local where you can sit down with the pro and let he or she shepherd you through the maze.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2018
Alicia M.
Office manager
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2020

"Worth it!!!"

Comments: Overall experience with OnPay has been wonderful. We have been with OnPay for about one year now. The ease of knowing that the deductions, withdrawals, taxes etc does not have to be done by myself, is fabulous! Customer service is on point! OnPays chat team replies in seconds. Very informative. They lead you to the right directions. Being a small business, The price is very reasonable for All they have to offer. I’ll be keeping them for a long time. And I highly recommend OnPay.

Pros: Very easy to put hours in and submit payroll. Love that the taxes are withdrawn and done for you. Love customer service.

Cons: The only thing I think was a bit of getting used to were trying to navigate to find the right tax papers etc. But with help you do get used to it. Also, there was a problem with payroll being processed twice within two minutes from each other. There should have been a pop up stating you already processed a payroll. Do you want this one also ?

• Reviewed on 04/02/2020
Sylvie H.
Owner/Manager
Individual & Family Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2020

"A must for any size business when starting your Payroll or HR department"

Comments: I have had many interactions with Onpay employees. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. It is a company that is reachable when you are working on payroll. If you are afraid of making a mistake they are here to assist.

Pros: It was very easy to set up as a first time small business owner. It only took few hours to do the initial set up but I was able to have direct deposit done for my first employee on the payroll day. Now Onpay offers more HR features than it did 5 years ago. My recommendation to a new business owner, is to take advantage of that function or feature at the beginning of the set up and allow a little more time to get it done correctly.

Cons: When they are changes, features are moved around and it is hard to find them but with Chat, it is easy to get someone to help you right away. I do not see any negatives apart from that.

• Reviewed on 25/06/2020
Marc A.
Accountant
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2019

"OnPay payroll software"

Comments: We are pretty basic as to what we use OnPay for. Mostly running payroll for salaried and hourly employees, tax reporting, and using OnPays standard reports. OnPay does all those things very well and easily. But we don't use it for much additional tracking, but from my use of it OnPay does those basic things very well and is easy to use.

Pros: What I like most about OnPay is that it is very full featured regarding Internal reports, Tax reporting and affordability. I like that it is priced by how many employees each month and not the number of runs or transactions. I can make extra payroll runs employee reimbursements during the month without any extra charges. It is quite easy to use and covers most of our needs. Customer support is great and very responsive. The standard reports meet our needs well and have quite a few "filtering" features to customize them.

Cons: There is not much to dislike, really. Maybe adding and employee can be a laid out a little differently. At times it seems a little confusing. Tax reporting for Michigan and Detroit there are some odd or quirky requirements for workers comp, minimum wage, which we do work-arounds, but this handles it.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2019
Heather E.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/11/2020

"Very Easy to Use and Very Reliable"

Comments: Every time I have had to call OnPay I have had a great experience.

Pros: I love using this payroll software. The price is very reasonable, running weekly payroll is simple. Finding reports that I need is super easy.

Cons: Sometimes the employee profiles are difficult to navigate in order to look up or update info. It's not something that is prohibitive to the use overall though.

• Reviewed on 24/11/2020
Alisha H.
Payroll Clerk
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2020

"Recommended"

Comments: My overall experience is good. The cost and customer support team make it a no brainer.

Pros: What I like most about the software is the ease ofnavigation. Being able toggle between areas is helpful to verifying information. But I feel that this companies best feature is their customer support department. Every time I have had to call, their representatives are always polite and can fix any of my problems.

Cons: I sometimes have issues with the pair time off or vacation algorithms. This is the feature that as given me more phone time w/ customer support.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2020
Kenton V.
Semiconductors, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2019

"Easy to use and great value"

Comments: We have had a good experience with OnPay. There are very few issues or errors and, when there are issues, the OnPay team has solved them in an expedient manner. Over the years we have realized significant cost savings due to the ease of use of OnPay. General business or managerial staff can easily run the system instead of paying a service or hiring a payroll professional to manage payroll for larger groups.

Pros: OnPay is easy to use with an intuitive interface. It was a good product for a small company of just a couple people and it has continued to work for us as we approach 20 people. It is also reasonably priced and does not overwhelm users and administrators with too much complexity.

Cons: The thing we like least about OnPay is the way paid time off (PTO) accrual growth is calculated. We grow PTO accrual every year of employment up to 20 years and that requires employees to be moved into new PTO growth categories every three years. We could just choose to do our PTO differently, but we wish OnPay had the PTO growth flexibility to accommodate our preferred methods.

• Reviewed on 27/11/2019
Michael E.
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2020

"Used For a Company of Contractors"

Comments: Over the years we have very much appreciated the way OnPay listens to us and impliments our suggestions and features that work for our company.

Pros: We like being able to add new contractors and allowing an invitation to go out to the employee to log in and finish their own set up by adding their banking information.
We like being able to see a payment history made to the employee.
We like the ease of making direct deposit to employees.

Cons: We would rather enter contractors as contractors rather than employees which is easier to set up. Right now we have to add the 1099 Misc payment addon.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2020
Arthur P.
Primary Consultant & Field Manager
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2021

"ONPAY IS COMMITTED IN PROVIDING EXCELLENT PAYROLL SERVICE"

Comments: They Always had an answer to my concerns as well as assisted us to get to the accomplishment of a task

Pros: There is assistance around every corner to help you navigate through difficulties in using OnPay

Cons: Waiting on the phone at very seldom times while calling for assistance

• Reviewed on 20/04/2021
Sayydah G.
Founder & President
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/07/2021

"OnPay saves me time and money"

Comments: It literally takes me 2 minutes per week to review and approve payroll. When I opened our account, customer service walked me through the steps and I felt confident enough to get the ball rolling after that.

Pros: This is the first time our nonprofit organization is using payroll management software. Thank goodness for this kind of software. All the important aspects of payroll are included and easy to use.

Cons: I like all aspects of this software program and highly recommend it, especially if you're buying this kind of software for the first time.

• Reviewed on 01/07/2021
Silvia B.
Web Designer
Computer Networking, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2021

"Super easy and extremely well priced payroll system for everyone"

Comments: I've searched for the right payroll solution for a long time, and OnPay is unmatched. We used to use Quickbooks when we still employed a bookkeeper, and I moved on because it was both ridiculously overpriced and way too complicated. With OnPay, I can focus on my job (web design), and not worry about the payroll. Plus, as a web designer myself, I really enjoy the fantastic user interface.

Pros: It keeps track of everything I need to run the payroll for my small company. From paycheck calculations, reports, taxes and tax filing to entering new employees and keeping track of vacation time, it's an extremely easy to use system. I'm terrible at paperwork, and OnPay makes it possible to handle this, even for me. It even reminds me to run paychecks on time, and keeps track of holidays. Pricing is also very good.

Cons: Sorry, can't think of anything, it's perfect.

• Reviewed on 21/04/2021