15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Google Docs

Web-based app designed to store, create, and edit spreadsheets and documents online. Templates, charting and commenting are available.

Learn more about Google Docs

Pros:

This is a ubiquitous tool to create and share secure and free documents. It provides most of the prominent features of MS Office365 without the subscription fee.

Cons:

When my internet is bad, it get stuck and I can’t type anymore. When you live in the mountains thats frustrated sometimes.

Google Docs ratings

4.7
4.3
4.5
4.8

9.2/10

Google Docs has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 28,115 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Google Docs before?

Filter reviews (28,114)

Davide
Davide
Ceo in Italy
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

The simplest way

Pros:

I like all the Google suite. I loved to have all my files accessible wherever I need.

Cons:

Sometime the formatting don't work very well.

Juan
Multimedia Production Specialist in Honduras
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 1,001–5,000 Employees

No more Lost Docs

Comments: It has made my work as a writer easier and safer. I can have everything in Drive and not be afraid of losing any data. It has the history of the changes I have made to each of the files. It keeps my comments and notes, too.

Pros:

What I like the most is that the document auto-saves, and if anything happens to the computer or any device I am working on, the file will still be in the drive. I won't lose it.

Cons:

There is one little thing I still don't know how to do, and it is to activate a dark mode in which the page turns black.

K
Producer in US
Entertainment, 2–10 Employees

One solution among many

Comments: We use it share creative files back and forth across the country, when better applications aren’t available for whatever reason. One of makes changes to a file, uploads it to Google docs, and the next user down the line can access it for further augmentation. For those purposes, it’s fine, but not the best option out there.

Pros:

It works as expected, and is going to be compatible on most modern devices, whether mobile, or in the studio (or office).

Cons:

It’s owned and operated by Google. This is just not a company I’d trust with personal information or documents. The nature of our work doesn’t really share such things with Google though. So, I think we’re safe.

Arthur
Researcher in US
Research, 11–50 Employees

One of the best out there, but should leave the physical world behind!

Pros:

Google Docs is almost unparalleled when it comes to document creation and sharing! The ability to add comments, go into feedback mode, make tasks from comments, are all crucial and things I use weekly if not daily. I love how by default margins and page breaks are gone since it's rare we need to print things at this point.

Cons:

I think Google Docs could go even further into the world of digital-only files. One thing I would LOVE for them to implement are collapsible sections so that documents are much easier to navigate and scan through. If I have three massive sections to a Doc, I'd like to hide the other two to focus on the one I'm working on. Also please implement a Latex integration for math and rich text in the form of code blocks.

Jeff
Teacher Trainer in Czechia
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Google Docs For Schools

Comments: I have used Google docs for a very long time , its updated a lot , changes are well though out and little to no down time.

Pros:

The best points are the easy download in many formats old and new , very good for schools eith a mix of technology, as most do. Another great feature is the speed of search fuctions and the very easy drag and drop of documents

Cons:

I wish google docs had more options and tutorials for clients and wasmore insync with google classes , which i also really like using.

Computer Software, Self Employed

Can't think of any other better free alternative than Google Docs

Comments: Totally satisfied and I will continue using it :)

Pros:

It's free!! And of course it's owned by Google... So you can easily vouch on it's quality.. Besides it's an excellent free alternative for MS Word and due to it's online nature it's easier than ever to share the docs with your peers & friends.

Cons:

Use Interface could have been a little more better

Robert
Owner in Romania
Newspapers, Self Employed

All docs in cloud!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Great experience, all the documents are in cloud, used by entire team.

Pros:

Very useful using the Docs with Google Cloud, all time available and secure.

Cons:

Formating the documents seems a little slow.

Maria
Chief in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Esencial tool for a team

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I use It everyday to work with my team fir mamy years now. I justo wouldnt gol back to other kind of doc editor.

Pros:

I think DOCs is a really useful tool that should be taught from school. Being able to work in the same document with a team or even with customers in real life is very helpful in productivity and creativity

Cons:

I think this tool is quite good the way It is

Pramod
Amazon Remotely job in India
Consumer Services, 10,000+ Employees

Best Google Docs

Comments: I have 2++ year Use to my product document generate an good service.

Pros:

I have Use to daily google docs is my customer product reviews

Cons:

I Very Likely is Google docs is my help to my job to easy

Paige
Reputation Manager in US
Management Consulting, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Way to Store and Share Documents

Pros:

Google Docs is easy to use, free, makes document sharing easy

Cons:

I wish there was more storage space in Google Docs

Mikel
Marketing Director in US
Religious Institutions, 51–200 Employees

Collaboration Made Easy

Comments: Google Docs has completely changed the game of team collaboration and organization. I use Google Docs every day and it's so simple to create, organize and share documents across multiple team members. It saves so much time in having to save out a doc, organize it in a folder somewhere, attach it to an email, get the doc back with edits, etc. So much easier to create one document, share it directly from the Google platform to whomever needs access (and even control the type of access they have - PLUS!) and then allow the collaboration to happen within that same document. I could go on on it's ease of use, but overall...If you're looking for a tool to increase productivity and efficiency within collaboration, then Google Docs is it.

Pros:

The absolute best thing about Google Docs is the ability to seamlessly and easily collaborate with team members across the same, or different, organizations. The platform is so easy for anyone to use and the platform similarity with Microsoft Office Documents makes it universally easy to use.

Cons:

I don't like that there's not a better way to cross integrate Google Docs with other serve style/ storage platforms. We do a lot of work that includes a mix of documents and design files, and storing those files with Google Docs can be a bit cumbersome. I also wish there were more robust formulas and abilities within the Google Sheets platform. There are third party integrations that can easily be added into Google Sheets to make it more robust, but it would be easier if it was already integrated into it.

Eric
ESOL Classroom Teacher in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Google Docs: Great for Personal, Business, and Educational needs

Comments: I find that the best thing Google Docs has done for me is saved time and headaches. I am able to keep track of files and data, all the time knowing that it is taken care of and won't ever be deleted. I don't have to worry about a computer crash or anything of the sort. Google keeps things organized and efficient.

Pros:

I love how you can customize your storage for whatever use you need. Pictures, text, audio, it can all find a home. Personally, I use Drive everywhere, and the fact that I can take it anywhere is very convenient. I can access files anywhere I have a computer or my phone. For my work I use drive with my students. They can submit their own files to me for assignments and I can grade them using Drive in concert with Google Classroom. It is seamless and saves so much time.

Cons:

I feel like the only thing this service could do better would be an easier way to find and locate files within the drive system. Sometimes it takes a little too long to track down a particular file or folder. I think part of that is because I am used to a 'desktop' format and this is not set up in that way.

Director of Operations in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

Great free option for documents

Comments: We have used it to publish documents to our non-office educators since 2013. This staff ranges from 8 to 35 people depending on time of year.

Pros:

Pretty intuitive to any experienced word processing user. Reasonable range of basic features such as fonts, text boxes, shapes, tables, and formatting. Most features that aren't there aren't missed very often. Collaboration tools and ability to jointly edit in real time is best I've seen over the 40 years I've been using document editors. Easy to share with other Google users within predefined Groups. Good security and availability of Google servers makes it the most reliable and secure method of making IP information available. Ability to cross-link documents with other web resources as a matter of course is extremely helpful.

Cons:

Importing from other software (Word, Open Docs) results in massive formatting issues. This is probably it's worst problem. Tables can be awkward to work with, especially copying/pasting from multiple cells into another table.

Sridhar
Chief Technology Officer in US
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

Simple, Easy Document Workspace for Enterprise Teams

Comments: Overall Google docs still is one of our top tools specially with working remotely and distributed teams. Google docs has helped us to get our content off the ground during our initially days as a start-up to now a SMB. Instant collaboration and co-authoring documents has been fun, easy and productive with Google Docs.

Pros:

Google Docs is a free product from Google. This was our first and initially only online collaboration tool we had used in our company. Working with Google Docs is absolutely effortless and dead easy. Think of it like a MS Word online but for group. We have extensively used and some of our internal teams still use it heavily on a daily basis for collaborating on course content creation, e-learning material, queries, question answers, mock series etc. Sharing with our external students, partners, vendors and freelancers have become much easy and above all we do it tracking complete authority as well as responsibility as we can see and track changes easily.

Cons:

One thing that we really and badly wanted the ability to structure our documents, files etc,. While you can easily create folder-like structure but we wanted more of content tree-like structure.

Cam
Sr. Director of Communications in US
Sports, 11–50 Employees

Quite Literally Can't Live Without Google Docs

Comments: With Google Docs, we solve the issue of having to license everyone else with a Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word pass. Another problem solved is simply the ability to convert documents from old .doc or .docx files into our storage drives.

Pros:

The ability to replace most 'modern-day' software options that are similar, but pale in comparison. We use Google Docs as a way to write policies, share projects, finalize posts to publish on site, etc. There is quite literally a million use cases for us, and no issue.

Cons:

It's difficult to say I like something 'least' as there is not something I don't like about Google Docs. Maybe I have too many Google Docs at one point? But that's more of a me problem!

Kevon
Child Nutrition Assistant in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Google Docs: One of the best things going for online word processors.

Comments: My overall experience with Google Docs has been nothing but great. I have been able to accomplish a lot of my assignments at my job with the use of this software. I will be recommending this to anyone who is looking for a low to no cost word processor.

Pros:

Collaborations are one of the biggest pros about this software. One copy and one copy only of a file is available and users can share this one copy, in real time simultaneously, and they can add modifications, update, and key in some data simultaneously as well. Any sort of document modifications are automatically traced with editor and time information. This is really cool because it allows you to see who made any sort of changes to the document, when said changes were made, and you can also revert back to an older version before those changes were even made! Talk about not having to worry about the inconveniences of power outages, unintentionally closing a browser window, or perhaps accidentally spilling coffee on your laptop/desktop. Easy access to documents is another pro considering that all you need is a computer or any mobile device that can connect to the internet such as a Samsung Galaxy, iPhone, iPad, Google Pixel, etc. Sharing documents that consists of maybe some classroom group assignments, online school projects, or a little lecture with interactions are amazingly easy. Imagine a conference where the designated speaker starts off with "Let's all jump in and brainstorm some questions or comments with the shared Google doc." Attendees are able to connect from a number of devices and are able to interact with the speaker, and add any sort of comments or questions. It's quite a new way to get more people to engage in the meeting.

Cons:

The only thing I feel that could be improved is probably the way that they go about the printing since it's not exactly straight forward like it is in Microsoft Word. Just a tad bit more complex but nothing too serious. Other than that I have no other issues with Google Docs.

Noah
Creative Mind in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Google Docs | It's for You

Comments: I believe that Google Docs is the best writing software for collaboration, and since it is paired with Google Drive then there's almost no reason to avoid it. It can be shared easily with others, and it doesn't require a lot of knowledge to be affective in using the tool. I've been using it for nearly 10 years, and I've been using it for four years as my primary writing software.

Pros:

Google Docs is my preferred writing software. It allows me to easily share, insert other documents, and work with others in real time. It also allows for customization of the pages, inserting of images/charts/tables, and other features which can help customize your document to you. It is a capable writing software, and a solid choice for people just looking to type out a story, work on a school project, or work with friends/colleagues.

Cons:

My only complaint about this software is that the top bar (which houses editing, inserting, and various other tools) can feel cluttered. To someone who flips between Word and Docs (or someone who doesn't know what they're looking for), then it will likely take a Google search to figure out where the tool you want is and how to use it properly within Docs.

Joshua
Office Administrator in US
Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

As near a "one size fits all" solution as I have found

Comments: I use Google Docs for report creation, document formatting, text formatting for email, and even some light signs and graphics applications. It is the number one collaboration tool used by our employees & volunteers. I'm a huge fan, and I sing its praises every chance I get!

Pros:

Google Docs has the interface of a no-frills word processor, but incorporates some seriously powerful features into the package, too. Its ubiquity makes it an apt tool for folks with a variety of backgrounds, equipment, and training. Real time collaboration is easy with Docs. And the extensibility offered by Google Apps Script turns it into a powerhouse that can do nearly anything (if you know how to code it!)

Cons:

A few more options in the interface would not go unappreciated: the ability to customize menus, add hotkeys for repeated operations, etc. Also, the fact that its menu system is MS Word circa 2007 makes the transition for some folks used to Office 365 a little tougher. The lack of integrated mail merge using Google Sheets is puzzling.

Nathaniel
student in US
Higher Education, 11–50 Employees

Students, Colleagues, and Teams Unite!

Comments: Google Docs revolutionized the way that I was able to study and manage projects. My story: In an accelerated Nursing program I convinced more than half of the class to study and create notes for exams together on the same template in google docs. It cut the work by 80%!!! Say hello to collaboration 101 in this amazing tool. We, like-minded folk with a singular purpose, were able to divide and conquer. This led to honesty issues but thankfully Google Docs allows for you to see all past edits and who performed them. Thus by the end of the first quarter classmates were able to hold each other accountable for the work that needed to be input into this document. All in all this was an invaluable resource to me and the best part is that I still have access to all of the shared work online. If i ever need to look back upon the classwork that we did together I can review some advanced physiology or pharmacology on the run with my phone or tablet.

Pros:

My favorite features include: FREE Seamless information sharing Auto save (so you never lose information) Accountability via History of past edits Ability to restore documents (in case someone accidentally deletes everything from top to bottom) Ability to review documents offline Full versatility with images, text editing, font, and real time viewing of work being edited Mobile device access for review and edits on the go Ability to see who is on the document to chat and discuss subject material or project deadlines

Cons:

There are very few cons to this software: First: you can only edit information if you have a google account. (But this is so easy to setup and most people already have a google email address so its almost never a problem.) Second: There could be preset templates so that the information being added would auto format to make everything appear uniform.

Luis Ignacio
Luis Ignacio
Diseñador gráfico in Venezuela
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Much more than an office automation, it is evolution.

Comments: The big names of office automation, offer you the same or less than what is offered by Google Docs, at completely absurd prices, since the implementation of Google Docs as an office solution for my work, I have saved a lot of money in licenses and other packages that they offer you traditional Microsoft solutions to mention some. A constant in all the departments of work, is that there is no problem at all when working with the issue of compatibility in the archives, that is a thing of the past, we all work online, When we do not have a connection, it is also possible to work thanks to a plugin that allows us to advance until the connection returns. It is worth noting that it allows you to better use the resources of the computational equipment you have, because of the adaptability of your platform, Google Docs is the future and it is here.

Pros:

One of the things I like most about Google Docs, is that you do not need to pay to create, share and work, just have a Gmail to work in any of the formats that it offers. Another aspect that makes me very happy is that I do not need to install packages that occupy space on my computer's hard drive. It is so great and incredible, that you can consult and see from any device, mobile or fixed thanks to the great compatibility offered. It does not matter if you have a free or proprietary operating system, it is just as functional. Also, I have been working with many designers colleagues in shared documents, which has helped me a lot not to resort at all times to other communication channels, just write down a comment to any comment or use the chat available within each of the files that work with Google Docs, is the best thing that have been invented in recent years.

Cons:

I am very critical with platforms and programs, but I can say with total responsibility that there are no negative aspects to Google Docs, on the contrary, it offers you benefits at all times, apart from constantly improving the interface and the internal functionalities of each one of its components.

Design, 2–10 Employees

Google Docs Rocks!

Comments: Overall there have been many benefits to using this program! I am usually connected to the internet so I have no issues with using Google Docs. It makes it easy to save work and send to other employees. I love that I don't have to worry about losing my work, and that it will always be saved.

Pros:

Google offers Google Docs as a free version of what is basically Microsoft Word. What I love most about the software is first off, that its free! To me that is a benefit, not having to pay for the software unlike Microsoft Word. Every single file that you make changes to in Docs automatically save to Google Drive every time you make a change, so if your computer for some reason crashes or shuts down, you can pick up exactly where you left off! This makes using Google Docs stress free and you don't have to constantly worry about saving your file or that the latest version of your file isn't saved. Google Drive stores each save as a separate revision, which means if you want to go back to a version you previously made you are able to do so. Google does not count Docs files toward your free space on Drive, so you can keep an unlimited number of documents and revisions - I love this feature!! Unlike Microsoft Word and most other alike software programs, Google Docs runs in a Web browser so you don't need to install software to run the program. Running Docs through the Internet makes it possible to work on any Internet or WIFI connected computer, but this presents a limitation: If you lose your Internet connection, you lose access to the program.

Cons:

Like I said previously, Google Docs runs completely from the Internet, which can cause some issues with the availability to access your files, but it also provides a way to save all of your changes so you never lose any of your work! If you are in a pinch and need access to your files and have no way of connecting to the internet it can make the situation stressful - this is my biggest issue with the software.

Kaleb
Kaleb
Writer in US
Entertainment, Self Employed

Nearly flawless, perfect for writing

Comments: Overall, I find Google Docs to be the superior content writing software. I've tried other writing softwares before and along the way, but nothing has ever compared to the ease of use and effectiveness provided by Google Docs. The minor issues I have faced with Google Docs are ultimately overshadowed by how powerful and useful its benefits are and the amount of tools it provides me with to ensure I always have what I need.

Pros:

I've used Google Docs for nearly a decade at this point and I've never had the desire to utilize another writing software. gDocs is one of my favorite tools to use because it puts a focus on ensuring that your writing is the focal point - there's no unnecessary fancy gimmicks, nothing to distract you from your work, and it's such an effective business tool. One of the best features Google Docs offers is its versatility. There's so much you can create with Docs; from personal writing projects and shared group projects to adding images and hyperlinking text. You can also easily transfer written content by utilizing fast and effective keyboard shortcuts - it's all so seamless that any other method of storing written information just doesn't make sense. Also, you can access gDocs on different devices and they sync all your content seamlessly. If you start writing something on your iPhone then pick up your laptop, everything you had written appears live. In addition, gDocs constantly saves your writing for you so that you don't have to worry about losing important data. Another positive aspect is how much content you can save. I've got documents back from 2011-2012 up to 2019 and I'm sure I'll continue storing new content from 2020 to beyond. Oh, and Google Docs is completely free to use!

Cons:

Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to properly utilize the Shared document functionalities. I have had a few issues here and there involving the process of sharing my content with other users. There are also times where it can be difficult to tag comments on the content others have shared with me. Also, it can be difficult to locate past documents when using the search functionality. It doesn't always provide accurate results which can be frustrating when you're looking for a specific document.

Mike
Product Manager - Consultant in Canada
Sports, 51–200 Employees

Easy To Get Started, Good Sharing Options, Great Collaboration, Less Feature Rich then Word

Comments: Overall the collaboration that Google Docs offers makes the product worth using in a team environment. It is very beneficial to work together at the same time on a document especially if you were working in a remote company or with people who are not all in the same room. I recommend taking the time to learn the UI and learn all of the features offered so that when you are working and trying to get something done you don't need to fight the software. The sharing options are very interesting as you can share inside and outside of your organization as well as with specific people. Also, one can assign sections of documents to other collaborators very quickly using the comment feature which is a major asset in terms of keeping everyone who's collaborating in a document held accountable. Google Docs excellent export features such as exporting to Microsoft Word or PDF with one click. I prefer Google Doc over s editing tools such as Microsoft Word online due to the fact that it is always been stable and reliable and the performance is good. Doc's makes collaboration easy - the concept of two people working on the same 'document' but not on the same file is ancient history thanks to Google Docs. If you are looking for a collaborative workspace to create contracts or help articles or anything that requires multiple people working on one document I would definitely give Google Docs a try.

Pros:

Google Docs makes it simple to input text and pictures, collaborate, and share documents amongst your organization. You can assign items to employees in your organization via comments, and keep up to date with changes made to any document! The versioning is fantastic to see changed what and when they changed it, and if mistakes are hard, the versions can be reverted. We use Google Docs to collocate on files when brainstorming, or writing up proposals. We also use google docs to draft up many items for our software developers and have collaborated with other companies on a shared doc to make projects more effective.

Cons:

The software is less feature-rich than MS Word. For example the tables not have the same functionality and cannot be as well manipulated, whereas with MS word there are many things that can be done with a table to make them completely adhere to your needs. Coming from a different product, it takes time to get used to and locate the different features in the editor. The editor is slightly more confusing than other competing products. The navigation within a document is not bad, however, there are other editors with more navigational tools, for when documents start getting very large. When a document is very large and contains multimedia objects such as pictures, it can take time to scroll through and access the doc in it's entirety when first going through it. Once loaded the document lag disappears and you can work with it seamlessly - this is just an issue on startup. Occasionally the software will crash and you need to refresh your browser however I have never lost any progress when this happens.

Paul
Paul
Software Development Engineer in US
Telecommunications

I use Google Docs for many tasks, ranging from simple to-do lists to large collaborate projects.

Comments: Docs allows me to save time when working on multiple platforms, makes collaboration between large groups simple and convenient, and is backed up to the cloud. I no longer have to remember to save my documents and remember to back-up my information, as Google Docs does that for me. Docs allows me to focus on the work and not the logistical problems behind working, giving me more time and energy to do what I actually want to spend my time on. After using Docs, I have not and will not go back to any alternative, as there is simply nothing more convenient and easy to use for employees.

Pros:

Google Docs so valuable to me due to its simplicity and ease of use. When I first switched to Docs, the simple design of the web interface and the intuitive nature of the Google Drive website which it is integrated inside enabled me to easily adopt a new environment without too much confusion. The almost minimalist design of the document editor ensured that new users were not overwhelmed, but also that veteran users would not be cluttered with options. Docs, also available on android and iOS, made switching between my desktop, laptop, and phone for work convenient and smooth. I didn't have to waste time uploading and downloading files; I just needed a web-browser or an app. Consequently, Docs has been an integral part of my workflow for years, as Docs brings a level of intuitiveness that I have never experienced in any other application I have worked with.

Cons:

One issue I've had with Docs is the scalability of the editor. While Docs is smooth and works well for small projects, documents which approach a hundred pages or greater often slow down or behave awkwardly. I rarely work with documents of such great size, but scaling Docs to be able to handle those cases will allow it to truly dominate over its competitors.

Patrick
Technology Coordinator in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Good Product, Broken Promises

Pros:

It is my go to document editor for quickly capturing ideas or data. It is convenient, easy to use, and readily available in my browser. The clean interface and easy-to-navigate menu keeps me coming back. It has not be "overdeveloped" and I think that is part of it's success. It is simple.

Cons:

Many users took advantage of Google's unlimited storage for Google Photos. Google later backtracked, and said those photos would now count against your total Google Drive storage. By making these photos count against users' overall storage, Google essentially ensured many users would suddenly be out of storage space in Google Drive -- the place where your Google Docs files live. This means users either had to delete files or pay for a premium subscription in order to gain more storage space. This was a very anti-consumer move, in my opinion. I mention this because all storage across Google Services (Gmail, Docs, Photos, Sheets, etc) is pooled together and counts against your total storage in Google Drive. Unless you choose to pay a premium subscription, you will likely need more storage than that provided by Google for free. For those reasons, I recommend Google Docs only as a tool for quickly taking notes, creating a draft document, or brainstorming ideas. It is likely best to move the final copy to a more permanent storage repository that you own, as storage in Google Drive gets eaten up fast, and the terms are subject to change, as we've seen with Google Photos. However, it is a great tool for simple collaboration. You can share and edit documents in the cloud, which is great for brainstorming and creating drafts. Google Docs offered these collaborative features before many competitors. Now it is a common feature across similar products, but Google should get credit for offering consumers a free service that included theses features first.