• Overall
    4.4/5
    4.4/5

About Quip

Quip combines documents, spreadsheets, and chat in one organized experience.

Learn more about Quip

Nikhita K.
Production Engineer
Internet, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2019

"An amazing platform to track your ideas "

Comments: We use quip to track our updates, design documents etc and it has proven to be a really powerful platform for the same.

Pros: 1. I love quip as its the only good version controlled platform for taking notes that I have found in my industry experience of over 5 years.
2. Its easy to create public/private versions. I could easily create documents that are public (i.e. outside the firm) and private to me.
3. It is so easy to mark your favorite folders and share it across teams.
4. Its fast. I have found Google Docs to be a bit slower than quip.
5. You could easily import the content into a wiki or a word document with all the formatting intact.
6. You can create an excel sheet (or multiple sheets) in quip itself.
7. Onboarding and gettting used to the platform is really easy.

Cons: 1. It behaves odd when creating tables and adding pictures (like indentation sometimes screws up).
2. If you are looking for a platform to create animated documents, quip might not be your friend. It supports basic data representation objects like tables, pictures, worksheets but if you want audio etc, you want to goto powerpoint.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2019
Engineer
Consumer Electronics, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2019

"Review for Quip"

Comments: I am enjoying this tool, and Quip has managed to stand out in this heavily competitive field of online collaboration.

Pros: Quip UI is really smooth, and feels new! it has a good functionality to provide the revision history for the document, which I think is very useful. When multiple folks are simultaneously editing the same document, the revision history for each line provides a very nice view of who changed what. Additionally, Quip has a chat tool embedded in its UI. I use this often to communicate with other folks who are working on the same project.

Cons: I dont have a strong dislike for any of the features, but perhaps one point was it takes significant time for a new guy to get to to speed with the tool and understand all the intricate details.
Perhaps the on boarding proceed can be better

• Reviewed on 29/08/2019
AWS Sales Intern
Internet, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/07/2020

"Quip Review"

Comments: I prefer other collaboration tools, but if you just need to share a large file or collaborate with a few other people, it does the job.

Pros: It's great for real-time editing, you can see the history of the document edits and who made each change, and it's easy to organize in folders and share with a specific group of people with specified permissions. Since it's cloud-based, I like using it for collaboration and sharing large files.

Cons: Quip is not easy to navigate. I think the UI is missing basic functionality. It is hard to revert to an old version or it can get slow if too many people are using it at once. I prefer Google Docs.

• Reviewed on 07/07/2020
Chris T.
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/07/2019

"The idea is a great one (the execution is another story...)"

Pros: I like that Quip is all about getting teams united around content creation. It has some great features but overall it feels like it's missing something to make it easier for the content to go from within Quip to its final destination (webpage, for example).

Cons: It has all these great features, but it getting it from Quip to wherever it needs to go seems like it was as well thought out. I also experience some situations where the version control goes a little haywire from time to time.

• Reviewed on 31/07/2019
Director Of Operations
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2020

"Quip combines MS Office or G-Suite into one app"

Comments: Quip was fine, but it is redundant to both MS Office and/or G-Suite and there is no need for all of these. It was fine, but the ability to have different doc types was alright, but not that needed.

Pros: Quip allowed an easy format to combine multiple document types into one document. It was also great to document sharing across multiple parties and the related and needed tracking or changes, comments, notes, etc.

Cons: The storage / saving and file structure was odd, and the ability to create secure directories vs sharing with everyone was not always clear. Also, the embedded spreadsheets in word docs was ok - but not great. The generalization did not have the same capability as each dedicated system.

• Reviewed on 10/04/2020
Nathan S.
Digital Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2019

"Quip's An Alternative to Google Docs and Slack"

Comments: I tested Quip as part of a team effort to find a collaborative tool that we could incorporate across the board. Over the 6 month period that I tested it, I found that while it was functional for the most part as a lot of things, it failed in key areas that we would need it to work including handling large spreadsheets, edit history and connectivity issues. However the price and slow functionality when it comes to bigger documents/spreadsheets leaves much to be desired and as such, it may not be ideal for anyone but bigger organizations that want to cut off multiple communication channels and document tools. Overall Quip is a good alternative to Slack & Google Apps. However it leaves some things to be desired in the looks and function department.

Pros: Quip is a great collaboration tool that is something similar to Slack, Google Docs and Google Sheets all wrapped up into one. My favorite feature is the collaboration tool which allows you to edit documents and discuss them in real time with other users. You can send messages to other users and Quip has a nice way of letting you know whether a user is online or offline. The messages can be sent to individuals and within a group chat setting. When commenting on spreadsheets, you can annotate cell by cell which is something helpful especially if you are reviewing spreadsheets with a lot of information. File management is a charm. You can easily upload shared documents to folders and limit who can see the documents as well as who can edit/view the documents. One gripe about collaboration apps that I have had in the past is the amount of notifications you get if you have multiple people working on documents/projects etc. Quip solves this by giving you the option to prioritize the notifications you want to this. You can also @ specific people which makes communication easier. Similar to Slack, there is an option to notify everyone with an @everyone option to send messages to a whole team. Quip integrates well with Salesforce, so if you are using Salesforce, this is a good option.

Cons: If you want to test Quip before deciding, you may not like the requirement for a work email.
You need constant internet connectivity to make Quip work, if you find yourself in a place where there is no internet, you may be out of luck to use Quip.
While Quip is good for communication, editing and collaborating on big spreadsheets slows the app down and you can find it slows down performance. You are better doing light to medium size documents/spreadsheets. When collaborating documents, versioning and edit history are important. It gets hard to revert to an older copy of a document and it can create some confusion if there are a lot of people looking at the same document.

• Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Ciedelle E.
IT Support Associate II
Information Technology & Services, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2020

"Equipped with Quip!"

Comments: We use quip to share files among members and teams in our organization and I love how we could easily update and access them from anywhere especially on the mobile as well, it makes collaboration way too easy.

Pros: The design and layout is superb, I specifically love how you can folders visually and it is attractive. Being able to color code them makes organizing files and projects shared across teams more effective.

Cons: Not all file types are supported like scripts, I would have to just upload it as a textfile with the scripts if I wanted it on quip.

• Reviewed on 17/03/2020
Nataliia K.
Product & Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2019

"Quip Review "

Comments: It's a great tool to keep all the documents organized, structured and collaborate on any of the docs with the team. I think our team became so much more productive after we started using it.

Pros: I love seeing how organized and most importantly easy to maintain all the docs in the company and departments. I think this is what makes Quip different: it's often easy to start using some service that meets the same purpose but it becomes a mess in a few months. Absolutely happy how it worked for our company with Quip. It was also a big help to find everything I needed when I joined the company.

Cons: I would love Spreadsheets which you can create in Quip to have more functionality, sometimes I need to use other tools and just link to them since I can't achieve the same with the Spreadsheets in Quip.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2019
Pranagnya B.
Business Process New Associate
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2020

"Review For Quip"

Comments: Our company uses the quip for all the confidential purposes of the client data

Pros: This software helps the user to store the data confidentially and easy to store compared to other software.

Cons: It is easy to access and easily understandable for the users who frequently use it or also the new users.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2020
Lauren T.
Worker
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2020

"LOVE using Quip!!"

Comments: Quip has given our business an easy way to stay organized & stay on task. Everything from Clients notes, to reminders, & what's on our calendars.

Pros: When I first found Quip I was pleasantly surprised at all the features. Right off the bat, I was quickly able to find my way around all the useful tools & features. Beautiful design & overall a great tool to have for any business owner.

Cons: I have only been using Quip for a short time now. So far I have not come across any personal cons. The Pros are far too many.

• Reviewed on 27/04/2020
Tracy D.
Marketing Manager
Construction, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2017

"Easy to use, great for collaborating, aimed at younger professionals"

Comments: Collaboration, simple cloud-based tool, integration with Salesforce

Pros: It's super easy to start using and is great for shared documents where you need to have multiple people providing input and updates. I like that two people can be simultaneously working on a document without a problem.

Cons: My annoyances with this software stem from the features - what is there and what is not there. One of my biggest gripes is that Quip believes it is "distracting and not necessary" (their words) to have the option of changing the color of the text. I disagree. As a business professional for the past 25 years, I can tell you there are instances where you need to color code text. I recently had a huge, very collaborative project that I wanted to base out of Quip and THE ONLY REASON I couldn't use Quip was because it had to be color coded and Quip doesn't do that. I've tried appealing to them but so far, no luck. Yet, one apparently "necessary" feature is that you can add an emoji or animated meme to your comments within a document. Really? And that is more important for business communications? I'm guessing this software is being created by a bunch of millennials. I don't begrudge millenials or the "fun" elements that are included, but give me the useful business functionality we have all become accustomed to over the past couple of decades if you truly want to compete for our word processing and spreadsheet needs.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2017
Lisa B.
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2019

"Best docu-sharing tool for a team"

Comments: I would highly recommend Quip to any team needing to collaborate on a lot of documents. It keeps us extremely organized, we love the workflow features, and communication tools. We have tried using Google Drive in the past and have STRUGGLED with the shotty navigation and lack of tagging/communication options. Quip is exponentially better than any other docu-sharing tool we've used!

Pros: Simple user interface and easy to onboard my employees. Quip keeps us very organized and is great for tagging each other in comments and collaborating in single documents. They have a number of workflow features that we've used several times to help manage project timelines, etc. I also love that I can share links to documents so clients can pop in and review without having to be added as a full user. We've reached out to customer support several times, especially during the onboarding process, and they have always been extremely helpful.

Cons: Notifications are a little overwhelming and difficult to manage. Very rarely we've had issues with pages not updating or saving, especially when there is a lot of text that has been copy/pasted.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2019
Programmer
Human Resources, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/06/2019

"Good Wiki Alternative"

Comments: I really like Quip. Having used Confluence and various Wikis, I think this is about as good as it gets. There's room for improvement for sure, but 90% of the time it does what I want and I'm able to communicate what I want to colleagues.

Pros: - Good for documentation
- It creates links to any part of the document for easy referencing
- The WYSIWYG editor works pretty well
- The keyboard shortcuts are good
- Embedded spreadsheets are neat (though I don't find I use them that often)
- Comment functionality really neat, including the ability to "resolve" comments.
- Edit History works well

Cons: - I really hate how embedded images work. It's bordering on impossible to make it look how you want and you'll have to compromise on it looking sort of crappy
- The search could use some help
- The auto numbered or unordered list stuff is annoying as hell and takes some finagling to get around. If you have a "1." then an image, if you type "2." it'll change it into "1." because it thinks you're starting a new numbered list because of the image. Really annoying.
- When I look at the Recently Updated list and click "Mark All As Read" why don't all of them become unread? This annoys me more than it should, but why don't they all get makred Read?!

• Reviewed on 01/06/2019
Neeraj H.
Data Analytics Professional
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2018

"Powerful collaboration tool "

Comments: Productivity, Collaboration, Central repository.

Pros: I use quip mainly to organize my work and collaborate with my team members in documenting feature requirements. Product feature requirements are dynamic - in that, they change often. The ability to have one central location from where all of us can access it makes this a huge time saver for all. It also prevents unnecessary emails as users can chat / comment directly on quip. It also has the ability to create private folders which I use to store work in progress ideas and the ability to restrict access to some files / folders to specific people.

Cons: Quip requires the internet and often I forget that I have to be connected to save changes. Although it has the ability to add spreadsheets, I don't use it much. Also, have noticed when I copy paste code into code-blocks, the pasted content does not fit within the default page-width, but creates a horizontal scroll-bar within the code-block. It's a bit of an irritant to correct that every time.

• Reviewed on 24/04/2018
Investigator II
Pharmaceuticals, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2018

"Quip - a super nice collaboration tool"

Comments: To be simple, we really like this easy to use collaboration tool.

Pros: So easy to collaboration with colleagues, and for family. Get everything together rather than individual files everywhere. "Word", "Excel", "Powerpoint" lite versions, so easy to use, whatever you want. With google account integration. No hassle for account management. You certainly don't expect it to be super powerful, but it is good enough for our purpose.

Cons: Logic of files arrangement a bit confusing. If you are coming from traditional file system. You may need sometime to get used to it. Moving files around is not that easy, especially if you want to manage multiple files at the same time. It used to be annoying that recent editing panel shows up every time you open the application. Recent updates fix this problem.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2018
Jeffry T.
Contributing Writer
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2018

"Quip is my one app to create, organize, and collaborate in almost all kinds of documents."

Pros: It's very easy to collaborate on a document. You just add people to it. All the changes are logged so you can see all the things that happen to your document. You can also create all kinds of documents on Quip, from the everyday text document and spreadsheet to the specific kanban board and project tracker (with a little help from Live apps).

Cons: The app lacks the ability to add tags - which will be very helpful to further organize the documents. It also doesn't hurt to add the font-customization feature so that users can set the look and feel of the working environment to their liking.

• Reviewed on 25/05/2018
Michael H.
Head Coach
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2016

"Quit passing email and documents around!"

Comments: I have a small staff who needs to work together at various times, and usually not in person. We've tried a handful of options (dreaded e-mail chains, Google drive, slack, OneNote, Trello), with varying degrees of success. But when you get right down to it, the majority of our conversations where revolving around documents. With Quip, that is exactly how this is designed. It is a live document centered experience with the ability to comment, discuss, and update to drive to agreed upon results. Other packages we would lose our chain of conversation, or a struggle to find the agenda, spreadsheet, plan. Here, these two elements tie together in one spot. End result for me? Instead of feeling like I was beating on people to keep moving, and often their secretary to help them find what I was talking about, now we work together with faster results and a whole lot less fuss and muss.

Pros: VERY intuitive interface. My staff is resistant to change, and they picked up on this software immediately. Looks good on the web, great on my desktop, and awesome on my phone! Customer support is astounding. Hit the chat window and someone is there immediately.

Cons: Very minor detail here - more of a feature enhancement request. It would be great to tie in some sort of task management, e.g. something with due dates that alert you.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2016
Joby I.
  • Reviewed on 10/05/2018

"Great way to collaborate "

Pros: Very easy document creation that live updates to all users as you create them. No more messing around uploading and downloading documents.
Documents have lots of options like spreadsheets tables charts, images and other apps that can be inserted into any doc. You can also manage folders and share them with specific groups of people, so you might have a folder for employees which has all your procedures on it and a separate knowledge base for customers.
For free its hard to find a better product

Cons: I would like to see the ability to copy documents between different quip accounts. I'd also like to see direct connections to excel of numbers, to give some more power to some of the features

• Reviewed on 10/05/2018
Tutor
E-Learning, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2018

"Good for smaller groups."

Pros: I love how Quip allows you to create both shared and private documents. The language feature is really great (i.e. it is completely functional in Spanish). The folder system is really helpful and is easy to be organized, even with different groups. You can comment on the documents, tag people, and even comment on photos. All changes are tracked.

Cons: Once we got to be a much bigger group, it became less functional because you cannot directly access Google Suite with it. We needed to expand more, and Quip didn't allow for that.

• Reviewed on 17/12/2018
International Development Manager
Sports, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2018

"Google Docs on Steroids"

Comments: We have rolled Quip out to multiple departments and teams over the past few years.

Pros: Continuing improvement in the feature set. The software was good when we started using it 2.5 years ago. However, the improvements continually made month after month have really made the product shine. We really get use out of the full index/searching capability.

Cons: A few basic things that would mimmic Excel functionality, like the ability to freeze columns on mobile, or hide rows/columns on both the desktop and mobile.

• Reviewed on 04/09/2018
Desirae S.
Data Quality Professional
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2018

"Quip and Quip for Salesforce"

Comments: Quip is a great addition for any company with its easy to use style of collaboration and flexibility in security and structure. I'd like to see a lot more training videos on how to leverage Quip for things like Project Management to plant those seeds and help companies grow and realize the full potential of this application.

Pros: Salesforce recently added Quip to it's suite of products and we couldn't be happier. We have been searching for a project management application as well as a solution for sharing documents and data while not housing inside our Salesforce org, due to storage limitations. We see Quip as being that all in one application that can solve many of these needs in our organization. It is powerful, flexible, offers free and paid apps like a project management app and allows for flexibility with security of files and folders. Not to mention the live chat and collaboration features it offers. A great all around solution for anything you can't already solve in your standard Salesforce Org.

Cons: I have requested several specific demos from our sales team so that we can more fully realize what Quip can do to meet some of our more basic needs. We've been given links to sales demos which don't address our specific needs. Once we get an idea on what we can do with it and how, it will drive more ideas and creativity for our team, we're just having a hard time getting started.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2018
Computer Science Student
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2019

"Great Collaboration Tool - With Room to Improve"

Comments: Quip is relatively new. So they keep adding new features. The spreadsheet feature could absolutely benefit from some Excel functionalities. The coding part could have auto-indentation, because it can get frustrating quickly.

Pros: The UI is very simple and navigable.
I love that you can have a chat room, private and group chats. Tagging someone and for sending a notification (either in document or in chat) is a very fast tool for communication.
I love the checklist and Kanban features for planning.
There is an updates page that shows you all the updated documents.

Cons: Sometimes, my document doesn't get updated even though a collaborator has made a change. Then, I need to update the page.
When reorganizing a folder, the UI gets updated each time you drag an item in the middle and other items get shifted. This process is slow.

• Reviewed on 23/09/2019
Ebin E.
Founder & CEO
Human Resources, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2019

"All in one platform to manage the entire documents and other tools in a single platform"

Comments: We have increased the productivity of our employees and thus our core goal of high productivity is achieved.

Pros: We really like Quip the way it is built as the platform itself acts as a source to maintiain all the tools like docs, chat etc. in this single app itself. Quip is the best way to manage all the different tabs under one window. The major hike is with the single window system where all the needed plugins are added and can be managed. Quip is the one and only platform to simplify the user burden of maintaining multiple apps and multiple windows.

Cons: The UI is very hard to understand at the first time and for newcomers.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2019
Justin H.
Instructional Designer
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2019

"Best collaboration software i've used!"

Pros: Quip makes it incredibly easy to collaborate with others on shared document writing. I work with a number of people who may not easily adopt new software, and Quip's simple and familiar interface allow them to begin working quickly and without fear. I lead teams of 15+ people working on the same projects, and can easily monitor progress and who is editing what!

Cons: I have very few cons for Quip - most of which would be a desire to see more features, although this would likely come with the trade off that it would become more complex. No real complaints for me.

• Reviewed on 05/05/2019
Istvan P.
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2018

"Ease of use, some missing features, bad upgrade on Mac"

Pros: -Very easy to use even at the first time
-0 delay at collaboration
-nice mini apps for documents
-good integration of comments with chat function

Cons: -inconsistent user interface (document and tables)
-no formating in the pop-up menu for tables
-very bad upgrade utility on Mac (it tends to fall back to earlier version and stops sync - support gives no help to resolve)

• Reviewed on 22/05/2018