• Overall
    4.3 /5
    4.4 /5
    4.2 /5

About Box

Box is a modern content management platform that transforms how organizations work and collaborate to achieve results faster.

Learn more about Box

Showing 3,828 reviews

Senior Associate - IT Audit
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2019

"10/10 File Sharing Solution - Internal and External"

Comments: It has been excellent - the customer service is also fast if there are any outages (very rare) affecting our uploads/syncing. It has saved us numerous amounts of bandwidth and has encouraged our employees to save files to Box for redundancy purposes and not to store items directly on their desktop.

Pros: The ease of use of spinning up Box folders and collaborating among internal employees or external clients/customers. The granular permission settings within each folder allow the administrator ("owner" or "co-owner") help regulate privileges from editing, to downloading, and reading which is a great tool when looking to share with multiple parties at different levels. We stopped sending attachments via e-mail (not secure) and simply use Box now to point toward a Link where the file is located. If you don't have access to the link, you are unable to see the file. Our employees and customers love this feature and it keeps everyone involved and access privileges in check.

Cons: When using Box Drive, it can be a bit slow to sync when creating new folders, or modifying file names, directly on the desktop application (recommend using the Box web site), however, this is extremely minor. we have had many successes using Box and have not even considered exploring any other solutions for over 5 years.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2019
Zahra H.
Head of Business Ops
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

"Stable Storage Solution"

Comments: Its good, overall i have no complaints.

Pros: Its a stable solution. The free plan was good but we moved to Business because that's what we needed it for. So the mobile apps are good, desktop sync is instant and there are no hiccups involving security, privacy, sync, uploads and management

Cons: You can't really move your main folder of storage once it has been set up. I initially wanted it on Drive D, now I wish to move it, but Box doesn't allow it. I will need to uninstall and then reinstall the whole damn thing for the shift to take place. Dropbox didnt have this problem. Yes I use both.

Leonardo F.
UI/UX Designer
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2019

"Great for Content Marketing on Startups!"

Comments: When we started our business a few years ago, we did not have enough capital to spend on tools or rather we wanted to invest in more important equipment. That is when I got introduced to Box. Their product quality and security are as good as Dropbox. We never had a security breach or lost a file, and since we offer content marketing services, the number of files we upload and download monthly is too many.

Pros: The speed to download and upload every single file

Cons: It is not as good as Dropbox, but if you are starting your business and want to save a good amount of money it is an ideal choice.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2019
Mary B.
HR Director
Research, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2018

"Easy file sharing from desk, laptop, phone..."

Comments: I love Box and tell everyone I interview about Box. We are a 70% remote group and depend on Box for sharing information and collaborating on projects. Applicants ask, "How do you manage a dispersed work force?" and "How do people maintain a sense of team?" "Box," I say, "is a big component."

Pros: 1. Sharing files is simple, no matter who you want to share with and no matter from what device. You can share a document with someone inside or outside of the organization without giving up control of the document. No need for someone outside of the organization to upload any software in order to access the shared document.
2. As an HR professional I find Box to be a great tool for collaborating with hiring managers. I set up a system for resume sorting that allows hiring managers to see just those resumes selected for their review, and allows the manager to move the candidates ahead in the hiring process, or not, as desired. I can then take action based on their actions in Box. It's very efficient. As a small business we do not need expensive, extensive stand-alone software for applicant tracking. Box allows us to record our decision making process
3. Largely intuitive, but in case you need a bit of help, the webinars and how-to videos are very easy to follow.
4. I can access, read and send documents from my phone. Very helpful for those moments at the beach when you realize you forgot to send a document to your boss. It's happened.

Cons: 1. I work mostly from an old Mac. I find some of the interface less smooth than from my PC. For example, when I create a Word doc within Box while using my Mac, the Mac defaults to Text Edit instead of Word. I suspect that's user error, though.

• Reviewed on 12/09/2018
Desiree W.
NA
Internet, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/03/2020

"Great Product / Slightly Too Pricey for Individuals"

Comments: Overall, I like Box. Better than Dropbox....maybe even better than pCloud as their UI is a bit dated and odd?...

Pros: It does offer 10GB of storage for free versus Dropbox only offering 2GB for free.

Cons: The only next option is the 100GB plan and it's $10 a month whereas Google One offer the same 100GB plan for only $1.99 a month. Now, I realize the better security and privacy potentially offered with Box versus a "big brother" such as Google is what could warrant an increased price. However, I'm not sure it needs to increase that much. Plus, it's confusing how they have an indicudual pro plan for $10 a month and 100GB and then a starter business plan with the same storage for $5 a month. I don't understand that and I think things should be more clear and make more sense. Also, I'm having issues with Box Sync not working on my laptop. It just won't sync anymore other than the initial sync. I didn't feel like messing with it or dealing with customer service so I just uninstalled it from my laptop.

• Reviewed on 15/03/2020
Scott s. D.
Fractional CIO Consultant
  • Reviewed on 22/11/2016

"What the cloud pros use..."

Comments: Box is the best of breed cloud system in the EFSS (Gartner) space. The natural progression from startup to unicorn company is:
1. Google Drive (max free space) but applications are worthless for Accountants,
2. OneDrive (comes with O365 but doesn't play well with others like NetSuite and SFDC) and need a SharePoint site managed/integrated to get real value
3. Dropbox (great customer features but doesn't play well with others and lacks unlimited storage)
4. Box --best of breed but not the cheapest

Pros: 1. Enterprise Edition with unlimited storage plan costs roughly $35/month. For a mature organization spending a large amount on servers/admins for those servers, this is very affordable.
2. Ability to model sharing between departments is priceless. Literally changes the way an organization behaves with information sharing if configured properly (silo killer).
3. Customer service is second to none.
4. Native integration with other cloud apps that charge additional fees for storage quotas. This includes NetSuite, SFDC and Workfront and many more.
5. MetaSearch on Enterprise allows granular searching. Every time someone has ever used a single word is indexed -- INSIDE the documents stored.

Cons: 1. More of a learning curve for users because of more features.
2. More robust administrative functionality also requires more learning.
3. Not the cheapest cloud solution out there - but you get what you pay for.

• Reviewed on 22/11/2016
Nithya G.
HR manager
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2019

"Excellent for sharing and collaborating with strict permission controls"

Pros: For our company, we had been using another software to store files and share them. But we hit a glitch where some files saved by colleagues on their local computers didn’t sync as expected and they had lost all their data. We started using box and it was the bat choice we had made. All files synched perfectly and the links helped us share the files easily. The best part of all, is the control I had over who sees the file and how they access it. I set permissions and was able to share it with colleagues who work remotely too.

Cons: It was hard for me to convince the management to initially try this product and that’s because they weren’t aware of its features and usability. This took time to overcome and eventually they had seen how this benefitted the organisation as I started using it for maintaining HR documents where I was able to have links within documents and this created a very good version control for ISO standards. The workflow was also managed efficiently and process documents were streamlined. Seeing this, the company adopted Box for other areas of the business too.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2019
Stephanie C.
Reimbursement Specialist
Pharmaceuticals, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/11/2018

"Great file storage for desktop, with a few hiccups"

Comments: We use Box every day within our organization to back up and sync all of our work files. We also use Box to send large files and folders to clients with the private sharing function

Pros: The web interface for Box is great. Very easy to use and navigate. Managing files from the Android/iOS apps is also very well put together. One of the small features we like the most is the automatic file version numbering when overwriting an existing file on your Box. It's a nice touch that keeps track of how many revisions we've done on any specific file/design. Overall, the download/upload speeds are great, and web application is also fantastic, and the pricing is competitive for the industry.

Cons: I wish I could review the box web application and Box desktop applications separately, because they're vastly different experiences. The Box Desktop Sync (Windows) is often pretty buggy, and refuses to sync files randomly. We've been having a number of connection issues, only to learn that Box has said they won't be supporting this version of the app, and all users have to move to the new Box Drive app. It's all very confusing.

• Reviewed on 28/11/2018
Brett S.
Media Production, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2018

"Reliable collaboration in the Cloud"

Comments: I'm a fan! So the pros outweigh the cons, and Box seems to always be active working toward improving their product. I've implemented Box Business/Enterprise for three companies, and users definitely benefited from the collaborative system, even when using only the base features.

Pros: The Box platform works, and does what it says it will do. Live online training is especially helpful for bringing on new users, and there are numerous pre-recorded tutorials and white papers. No excuses for users to not understand how the platform works. System is flexible for businesses needing to meet international security, medical compliance, etc.

Cons: Navigating all admin options can be a little daunting. The default settings are probably 'right' for Enterprise users, but for a small business I had to invest a little time with tech support to get the settings right so that my users couldn't make changes that affected the monthly cost. The Box business (from their sales, support, features) are strongly designed for large customers, not for a freelancer working with clients (examples: minimum 3 users, automated 'Relay' workflows Enterprise only.)

• Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 28/08/2019

"Strong option to share files internally and externally"

Comments: Great option for a business storing and sharing files, but had some problems with losing files. Not the only option out there. We ended up switching to google drive which has even allowed us to keep files from removed users, but I'm not sure if there is a sync option with google drive.

Pros: It has allowed my company to store thousands of large files and share internally. I like how simple it is to upload and download files (drag and drop, no need to go through a menu), and the speed is faster than google drive. It also allows you the option to sync. I share files internally and externally on a daily basis and like the feature to set accessibility limits depending on level of access.

Cons: Sharing files externally I believe requires a user to register or sign in - a lot of our external partners prefer using google drive or dropbox to share as it is a more seamless experience and requires less technical acumen. The sync feature has also caused some issues - if something was edited/deleted from a user who synced, we lost files. Also, we removed some box accounts due to new budget guidelines which caused us to lose files due to files that we did not know were linked to the removed accounts.

Director of Communications
Political Organization, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"Solid, easy to use, file management"

Comments: Box has given my organization a good way for teammates across the organization to access and work on the same materials together. I don't believe in my time using Box I have ever had a "panic moment" where something was lost or suddenly disappeared -- something that I can't say about every file management system I've ever participated in.

Pros: I really like the ease and speed of box sync. It takes very little effort and very few steps to access a file, edit it, and save it back to the server. Effectively, you rarely interact with the website or the client at all. It's just like you're accessing and saving files on your desktop, but they get synced back to the server automatically. A huge lifesaver is that it lets you access old versions of your files even after you've saved over them.

Cons: Integration with email software would be an excellent feature. It's possible that this exists by now, but information about it and ease of use is scant. I'd love to be able to easily add and organize documents that come in as email attachments.

Donna A.
Board Liason and Executive Coordinator
Insurance, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2019

"Secure and Ease of Use"

Comments: Overall, I have been pleased with the security of BOX and the ease of use, and the fact that all previous files are saved...that's huge.

Pros: Security is of utmost importance for the company for which I work, since it is a medical malpractice insurance company. We switched to BOX for this very reason.
I appreciate the ease of use, and that I can sync it to my desktop.

Cons: I don't like that individual users cannot organize the shared folders without it having an impact on all the shared users.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2019
Leslie M.
Family Catalyst
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/04/2018

"Truly unlimited storage for our company with great file-sharing features"

Comments: More storage, saved money, AND improved ability to share files and work collaboratively with a remote team.

Pros: We switched to Box from an older competitor when we realized we could get truly unlimited storage for a lower price than we were paying for a mid-level option at another competitor. When I actually got in the weeds of working with it, I was blown away by how much more feature-rich it was too. First of all, the design and user-interface is really very simple and visually appealing. But Box really shines when you're doing a lot of collaborative work and file-sharing. The tagging and notes features are very well designed, and being able to easily see all past versions of any file is really helpful.

Cons: Setting up Box Sync to automatically sync certain files/folders from my laptop was a little clunky compared to the competitor we had used, which just backed up pretty much EVERYTHING on both my cloud storage and hard drive. But the benefits of it working this way definitely override the clunkiness, and once you're past the initial setup decisions, it's just as easy but with less unnecessary junk on my hard drive.

• Reviewed on 10/04/2018
Olivia S.
Admissions Manager
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Easy and safe file sharing"

Comments: Overall a great way to share data and keep it secure. Also love the desktop version so I can access things from there as needed.

Pros: My university transitioned to using Box and Box Safer rather than drive based storage. The migration worked well, and we now have single sign on with our university ID linked to Box for added security. I can easily add people to folders in order to share data securely. Works well for sharing registration and enrollment data across departments. The folder structure is also very easy to use.

Cons: Sometimes hard to see all the folders in the list view that is available, as most people are not used to scrolling to the next page in a folder to view all subfolders or documents. I would say it's also important to have a strategic process for bulk sharing folders across departments, as my school has two administrators who must manually approve each new add to the folder if this isn't done in advance.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Office Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 08/05/2018

"Life changing"

Pros: Box has changed lives within our company. Don't get me wrong- transitioning to box was a process but it was so worth it! Everything is in one place and you can really control who has access to what. It is so much easier to share files and customize who can edit one. I love that I can share a file and customize each persons access to it (admin, editor, reviewer, etc.) You can set it up for people outside of your organization to view files or no one at all to be able to view your files. Files can be uploaded by just dragging to a webpage which saves so much time. You can access all your documents even away from work with the box.com website which is so helpful when I need to check something when I am away from the office.

Cons: There is a learning curve with this- it does take sometime to get used to. Box does require many updates and sometimes the updates aren't able to update and your computer crashes. We have been warned many times by our IT people not to update for months at a time or it will mess up our computer. I believe their are some bugs on that end.

• Reviewed on 08/05/2018
Brian W.
Marketing Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2019

"My Preferred Cloud Storage Solution"

Comments: I have been using Box personally and for work for the past few years. I have never been let down by Box at all. The service has always been up and always been working. I have been doing graphic design during that time and I frequently make quick changes and then save the file again. There are a few of the services out there that cannot keep up with the quick changes and don't allow me to save the file. Sometimes I have to make a new file name just to save it. Box has never required me to do that. It has just worked and has been reliable. Thank you for a great service!

Pros: The security of the application is actually very nice. However, the part that I am most happy about is that it just works. I have shared many a file and it works. I have set my Box account of different computers over the years and it just works.

Cons: Obviously I wish they gave me more bang for the buck, but that is not really their appeal. They are trying to appeal to the businesses with their security. They succeed.

• Reviewed on 05/04/2019
Allie L.
Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2021

"Box makes work & collaboration a lot easier"

Comments: I have used other file storage websites like google drive, but I feel like I was always running out of storage and having to pay for more. I have yet to run into that problem with Box at work and can easily organize all my files. It's been a positive experience to use this program and it I will continue to use it in the future!

Pros: I think the best feature about Box is the collaboration. Especially with working from home through Covid, it's been so easy to share design files with the rest of my agency. I also think the box note feature is a great asset, it makes sharing ideas and brainstorming from afar easier.

Cons: I think the only thing I would say can be frustrating is the lack of preview ability with certain programs. I pretty much always use Illustrator, Photoshop & InDesign which aren't compatible with preview. So not being able to make sure I'm downloading the right file can be frustrating.

• Reviewed on 16/02/2021
Dawn M.
Paralegal
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2020

"Honest Review"

Comments: Box is great and I prefer it over DropBox for ease of use.

Pros: Box is easier to use than DropBox. It was able to label folders from a major software conversion we did.

Cons: While I love Box, it was not compatible with our legal software, which required more dragging and dropping than originally thought. I expect this to be remedied on the side of our legal software in the near future.

• Reviewed on 09/10/2020
Content Specialist
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"A reliable, long-term platform for collaborative storage"

Comments: As an organization that often changes the platforms we use for various functions, we've stuck with Box for years. That is a testament to the fact that Box consistently serves its purpose well and we continually find positive ways to use it within our company. The glitches we do come across seem to be fixed very swiftly.

Pros: The best thing about Box, in my opinion, is the ability it gives my organization to utilize cross-collaboration within our projects. Multiple different teams can share and edit files, we can collaborate using Box Notes and it keeps everything exactly where we need it. It's also easy to search for whatever file you're looking for at a given moment.

Cons: My only complaint with Box is that every once in a while, the site will become unresponsive. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, everyone in our organization has trouble opening and editing files, etc.

Harlan E.
Practice Administrator
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2020

"Stop Emailing yourself!"

Comments: With Box.com it makes it ver easy to share files and collaborate with our team members.

Pros: Box.com Allows me and users in my organization to transfer and back up files without having to email files that are needed now but left somewhere else.

Cons: That there isn't a better way to transfer files from a different cloud service like Dropbox or One-drive to a Box.com account. It is not a deal breaker just a minor irritant, that can be easily overlooked!

• Reviewed on 28/04/2020
Salesforce Developer
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2020

"Easy and flexible content management system"

Comments: Great content management system which can be applied for many businesses

Pros: Box is extremely easy to use. Simple and strong integration with Salesforce. Has great security features and reporting tools.

Cons: Its a bit expensive and on a per user model. Salespeople frequently trying to get you to overbuy seats.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2020
Dave H.
Technical Director
  • Reviewed on 07/09/2018

"A leader in the future of work: DIGITAL"

Comments: It enables us to become instantly agile; improving the functionality of our files and folders for collaboration, reviews and approvals. And the unlimited space is a huge benefit allowing us to have an extra archive of all of our assets.

Pros: I'm tasked with leveraging the best-of-breed software solutions through the box platform. My initial approach for our agency was to limit the number of options/tools available within BOX to alleviate confusion and increase efficiency. But I've come to learn that we are more successful allowing people to work how they want to work by utilizing BOX integrations for the most prominent software offerings. We continue focusing on the management of folders/files to centralize our assets and achieve a single source of truth while maintaining security.

Cons: More functionality inside the Box platform coded by Box instead of third-parties.

• Reviewed on 07/09/2018
Web Developer & Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 02/05/2019

"Box Does What Lots of Cloud Syncing Services Do, and it Does it Well"

Comments: I am a longtime Dropbox user and also SugarSync and those all fill roles for me, but I also needed something else to help manage another project. This did the trick nicely.

Pros: It's familiar... it behaves a lot like other cloud syncing software, but it offers an alternative when you don't want to throw all your files in Dropbox or GoogleDrive or other services you might already use. Conversely, you could just use Box and not use the others. Or you can use them in conjunction. There is a generous amount of storage given for what you pay and it seems to work well. It is very convenient to add a Box link to your sidebar in your Finder windows (on Mac) and drop stuff in there to use it on all your devices.

Cons: Really, I don't know of anything I don't like, other than the fact that it's somewhat like a lot of the other ones out there... but I also used that as my primary "pro" about it ("It's familiar... like other(s)"), so I can't rightly say it's a negative. I guess I like it all.

• Reviewed on 02/05/2019
Sonakshi M.
Sales Specialist
Consumer Electronics, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2018

"It is the best cloud service which provides you to share your files without email."

Comments: I feel bit secure as i can set passwords and expiration dates if I am sending files to the third party or any client. I can preview files without downloading them. I can share files and folders with my clients and colleagues by setting the permissions so they can only see it.

Pros: I can set my plans and timings according to files. Price isn’t that much high and moreover I can save data up to 10GB for free. It also offers me the business and enterprise plans where I can save data up to the limit of 2TB. I can edit my files by downloading them and upload them back.

Cons: The user limit of this cloud is major flaw the limit starts from 3 and ends up to 10 people. By giving small price I can’t enjoy the features which are facilitated to higher priced plans. As compared to other cloud services this cloud service provide you less amount of storage which I can get more in other cloud company.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2018
Ryan P.
Regional Talent Acquisition
Gambling & Casinos, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2019

"Box is a reliable cloud storage and content sharing tool with efficient security features."

Comments: Box have become my favorite tool because I can easily auto-sync my working. This way I don't have to much worry about saving the things manually. It has also backup my whole working and allows me to stay more productive and organized in certain ways.

Pros: Box has been the most validated and up-to-date cloud drive which offers the most amazing features related to cloud sharing of files and folders in the organized manner. It can be easily used for content keeping and data saving purposes. We can also easily view docs and access the account anywhere we want to.

Cons: Box has limited our working because we tough time in connecting with our other employees. The integration of Box with mail and other tools is a bit difficult and complex procedure. Other than these, it is really an effective tool for content collaboration.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2019