15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About ZipBooks

Modern accounting software for small businesses and accountants including time tracking, invoicing, & digital payments.

Learn more about ZipBooks

Pros:

Cons:

It may be that I'm misremembering and it's just not possible to export without paying, which would also be a problem.

ZipBooks ratings

4.6
4.6
4.2
4.5

7.9/10

ZipBooks has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 101 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ZipBooks before?

Caitlin
Caitlin
Digital Marketing Specialist in New Zealand

I'm a ZipBooks Fangirl! I've tried several accounting options & they provide the best value!

Comments: I've been able to spend less time on my accounting. I don't have to create reports, ZipBooks does it all based on my chart of accounts and other information. The customer service is super fantastic and supportive. The help files are well written, concise and easy to understand. The cost is low and the tiered pricing system is really fair. I can connect multiple accounts and add staff to my account. I can use time tracking, set up automatic invoices, pre-set items and tasks, add documents, just to name a few! My personal account is turned into a profile which is hosted on their system. My clients can leave reviews and potential clients can find and contact me.

Pros:

Beside the cost (I'm on the pro version and it's still cheaper than the basic version of Xero and others), it automatically creates all the reports I need and shows them in a way that means I don't need an accounting degree! So my general ledger, my profit and loss statements - it's all there for me! Everything is so simple to use that I spent the first couple of weeks overthinking the whole thing - because it can't be that simple right?! The layout is so easy to navigate, the chart of accounts is simple to understand, and when I need a hand (I've managed to mess things up in my ignorance of double entry accounting) the customer support team are right there and get my problem sorted so quickly!

Cons:

My biggest con is that it's really USA-centric. I'm not in the States so I can't connect my bank account to the system so I have to manually import my statements. For me, it's well worth the effort because the system saves me time and stress in so many other ways. Also I'm a sole trader so I don't have many accounts to sort out. I can imagine it would be different for someone with a bigger company or more regular turnover.

Cory
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Don't Sleep on ZipBooks

Comments: I love ZipBooks I use it for two businesses, my consulting and my graphic design - It's simply amazing for a low cost platform it meets all of my needs with only a few hiccups once or twice a year. Not bad IMO.

Pros:

It's one of the most inexpensive tools on the market and it meets all of my small business needs with amazing features that you would expect to pay much more for.

Cons:

Sometimes my card gets kicked out, or I need to renew the connection to my payment processing platforms and it doesn't email me about it until someone tries to pay and can't. I've often had to reach out to the help desk to pay for my service because my cards just don't want to work and auto payment didn't go through for some reason. Second, I run multiple businesses (DBA) and for that I need to log in to two separate accounts. It would be great to be able to consolidate them.

Susan
Board of Directors in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

ZipBooks - Perfect for a Hobby turned Small Business!

Comments: The ZipBooks staff have been very responsive and willing to help. The software is free to use, however, there is a $1.25 charge per Paypal transaction when a customer pays via ZipBooks invoice. It provides basic accounting features that would work well for a person who is turning their hobby into a small business or a small contract business. If you are new to accounting, ZipBooks is perfect. If you are accustomed to accounting software, then this free software isn't for you. It doesn't yet have dynamic reporting features, ie no balance sheet or clickable fields to expand a data field on the Income Statement. If your business is small and you are going to keep it that way, ZipBooks is perfect. If your business is thriving and growing, invest in paid software as you'll quickly grow out of ZipBooks. That said, I'm told they have changes in the works so maybe this won't hold true in the near future.

Pros:

Easy to use for someone with no accounting knowledge. Perfect for an MLM or hobby turned business. I love, love, love that their customer service is responsive.

Cons:

The reporting features are seriously lacking. No balance statement, COG's are lumped together on the Income Statement, no division of income sources and no field on the Income Statement is clickable for a detailed report. Invoice and Expense pages are long with one arrow to the next page on the top and when editing an invoice or expense and saving, you are brought to the "1-50" page instead of the current page you were working on.

Aviation & Aerospace, 2–10 Employees

User-friendly software underpinned by prompt, professional support

Comments: Our overall experience has been positive. Thus far, we have not encountered any problems.

Pros:

1.The software is easier to use than it even appears. This makes it simpler for non-finance people who may find themselves required to attend to such matters e.g. Start-ups, local SME's and EME's etc. 2. The support team are atypically, prompt and efficient. In our experience with online support from other service providers, there is more often than not a delay in responding, be it short or long. In some instances, the support staff have not had the expertise to offer guidance or solve elementary problems. The ZipBooks team is impressively swift and knowledgeable.

Cons:

Initially, it appeared that functions such as customer month end statements and a few others could not be generated. After one or two chats with online support and the discovery of the numerous, yet concise, online documents, I realised that such functions are, indeed, included. Not only that, but also that the majority of questions are very likely covered and one can solve one's own queries if one looks for the relevant document. Perhaps it would be useful to users if this was highlighted or flagged and doing so may reduce the enquiries that your online support team have to attend to.

5 years ago

Thanks so much--happy to help!

Nziza
salesperson in Rwanda
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

It's time to get on-board with an accounting software that leaves an impression

Pros:

ZipBooks has a great many features and is very much incorporated with the organization's different items. additionally, you can check your SKU, merchant subtleties, and stock close by. In general, ZipBooks is a superb device for new organizations and associations. It's a magnificent decision. Having all that in one area is an extraordinary component of this book. The reports are profoundly easy to understand, and the equilibrium is easy to deal with.

Cons:

ZipBooks offers an iOS application, however, doesn't have an application for Android gadgets. Another thing is that it is somewhat irritating is that Zoho limits the quantity of Clients/Sellers you can add for each plan they offer. When you arrive at the cutoff you need to pay more to add more.

Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

The best app a small business owner could use

Comments: Highly recommend – beautiful, easy to use, full-featured, and more affordable than any of its nearest competitors.

Pros:

ZipBooks is the most affordable, feature rich accounting software I've ever used. It allows me to accomplish everything I need, from sending expenses, to tracking time and expenses, to invoicing. I've used other software and it either didn't include time tracking or it was too expensive for my small business. Their web app is also incredibly easy to use and is design very well. It's all organized in a way that makes sense and the charts/reports are beautiful.

Cons:

The biggest issue I have with ZipBooks is their mobile app. I'm running it on my iPhone and it seems like it's just a web-app published in a shell, storing no local information. It's difficult to track time or send invoices that haven't been saved as a draft. Sent invoices also display in reverse order – with the cache clearing every time I open the app. If they built a full-featured, native app I think ZipBooks would be perfect.

Music, 2–10 Employees

An Amazing FREE or Very Low Cost Accouting Platform

Comments: Overall I think ZipBooks is a wonderful online program! Espeically for beginners to accounting, it's a great place to get started with keeping track of you and your businesses finances. If you're an advanced user and/or a trained bookkeeper, this might not be enough for you, but otherwise I highly recommend it to anyone!

Pros:

The bang for you buck with ZipBooks is amazing! Their free version has a lot of features and you can really do a lot with it. The lowest tier is even more powerful and still costs less than other accounting platforms. The simple layout and design of the software is also a big plus and it makes it dead easy to use.

Cons:

The only issue I've found with ZipBooks is as follows! The free and lowest tier options are amazing but they do lack some of the in depth features that you're going to find with some platforms designed for experts. The higher tier option have everything you'd need to compete with any of ZipBooks' competitors, but it's a little pricier. It's still definitely reasonable, and overall this isn't much of a complaint.

Catharine
Catharine
Data Analyst in US
Law Practice, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Nice, but free version is bare-bones.

Comments: I run a small business and need to cut costs anywhere I can - Zipbooks was the first option that came up when I Googled "Free accounting software". I liked it at first, since I took a year of accounting in college I didn't have a hard time figuring out how the journal worked. However, over time I found more and more things that I couldn't do, either because of my free membership or because the features were simply missing. In the end I switched to Quickbooks - I don't like Intuit as a company, but still, their product performs the best, and has integrations for all of the software I use. Sure, it's $30 a month, but it saves a whole lot of time.

Pros:

It was easy to get started with Zipbooks. The interface is intuitive and user friendly, and there are a few helpful integrations, such as with Square and Bluevine.

Cons:

There are some critical features missing, either from the free version, or the app entirely. Notably, you need a paid membership to access some critical reports, and you can't export your data at all - if you want to analyze your data in Excel, you would need to manually type out EVERY journal entry.

CJ
CJ
Owner/Photographer in US
Photography

Not perfect, but constantly improving and Customer Support is the best with super fast replys!

Pros:

I run a photography+subcontractor business. I've been with Zipbooks since before they started charging a fee (switched from freshbooks) and let me tell you, there were definitely some major growing pains. The good new is that they listened to the customers and would always solve problems quickly. The gap between Zipbooks and Quickbooks/Freshbooks/etc.. used to be cavernous, but that gap is almost unnoticeable now. The interface is ridiculously easy to understand and flows really well. It's the best user interface experience I've had for accounting software. Costumer service has been nothing short of impressive. I'm an accounting/bookkeeping newb and the customer support has basically trained me how to do my own accounting. They have this great chat button that's always in the bottom right corner so you can easily ask questions and get answers like if you were chatting with a friend on facebook messenger. The company has a long way to go to being the best, but they certainly have the chops for it! I would high

Cons:

The fact that I can't mark an invoice as paid from the list view. I don't like the extra step of clicking through to the individual invoice. But, it's a minor inconvenience.

Leigh
Leigh
Officiant/Civil Celebrant - Wedding in KC in US

Great Customer Service

Comments: For small business, it's perfect.

Pros:

The software is user friendly. Easy to re-set up our company. Like the on-line look from the customer's point of view. It's easy to complete.

Cons:

I do find it a bit frustrating that I cannot find out WHEN my deposits are estimated to hit my bank. It's either that it doesn't exist in the software, or that it's difficult, even for a daily user, to find it in the menu system.

Derek
Creative Director in South Africa
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Simply Amazing

Comments: ZipBooks is the perfect bookkeeping solution for my small business! It allows me to add client details, business expenses and payments received from clients. There is also a great quotation feature built into the app that includes project management and time tracking. Generating an invoice from an existing project or quote only takes a click of a button (how awesome is this?!) and manual invoices can be added too. My favorite feature is the recurring invoices which get sent automatically and even allows me to set payment reminders for those that have not been marked as paid. Believe it or not, these reminders do work! ZipBooks also has great reporting features which shows you your total revenue for the past 12 months, an expense report, income per client, outstanding payments, tax and more. Oh, I forgot to mention, all of this is free! You can also accept payments via the internet but this isn't supported in my country yet. ZipBooks saves me loads hours every month and lots of paper (everything is backed up securely in the cloud), the app and its development/support team definitely add value to my life. Oh yeah, there's also an iPhone app for when I'm on the move or need to generate a quote for a client immediately :-) If you're looking for great bookkeeping software, this is it.

Pros:

Recurring invoices, payment reminders, great support, iPhone app, quotation system, easy to use report features, integration with Slack.

Cons:

Can only accept internet payments with American banks.

Chad
Working Artist and Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

A wonderful tool. Very intuitive and simple design.

Comments: It helps me prep for tax season throughout the year, rather than doing everything right before the deadline. Also, the invoicing is embedded in the software so there is no more cross referencing pdf invoices with bank statements for payout amounts.

Pros:

The simple design is the most attractive part of this software to me. So many other accounting programs are not very streamlined and simple, but Zipbooks has been very easy to use, inexpensive and the customer service is very helpful and timely.

Cons:

Because I have an untraditional business model without regular payments, the business score and analytics about business health are not very helpful and actually make me feel like my business isn't as strong as it actually is. I'd prefer to turn them off if I could! But that's a very small con. I also wish I could export a list of individual expenses with their category listed but screenshots will do for now!

Roy
Restaurant Owner in Singapore
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

It's FREE!!!

Comments: Being looking for this type of cloud system for sometimes, i'm so excited when i found this product and it was free to use. It automate a lot of things and i dont have to worry about loosing date anymore =)

Pros:

I'm using the free version, it's good enough for me to track my profit or loss. The invoice section is very good as well, just enter the blanks and it's all auto. The best part is the support, because i am getting full support although i am using the free version.

Cons:

Should consider to give us more access in the Income Statement report. The Income statement report is more than enough for my operation, sometime just wish i can click on the amount and it will show me the details. But this feature only available in paid version. I am still waiting for the Android version to be release, then i can easily snap and store my suppliers invoices and receipts.

5 years ago

Thanks so much Roy!

Brian
Market Manager in US

Use this app frequently to pass time and to get a nice read!

Pros:

Great app! They provide the best reads of the day, week and month. Working in NYC , very convenient to walk into a Barnes n Nobles and get a quick peak of today's best read.

Cons:

Best reads are often repeated. On days I actually want to check out what to read and noticing it before is a turn off.

Mary
Video producer in US

I use for business and personal accounting actually.

Pros:

Color coding, clean interface, simple to use so that I actually am able and motivated to keep up with my accounting. Love the option to outsource bookkeeping as I scale. Custom categories are really nice, too. Love ability to add docs to transactions and link transactions to certain clients.

Cons:

I don't like that bulk-categorization was removed from free accounts without notice or at least a free trial of the next paid tier account so we could understand whether we should upgrade. I also don't like that there's no cash flow statement at this time under reporting.

7 years ago

Mary, Thanks for the great feedback! We are finalizing the details on providing early ZipBookers exclusive options from free forever to preferred pricing. Regarding the specific feature of bulk categorization, I'll take a look at your account and see why you aren't able to use that. Can you send your account details to [email protected]? With regards to accessing our cash flow statement, if you set the income statement to "cash basis", you'll be all set! Thanks! Brad

Annie
Administrative Consultant, Business Owner in US

Awesomesauce!

Pros:

Clean, simple user interface. Customer support via Chat is extremely responsive - even on holidays - imagine that. Everything I need; invoicing, time tracking, sending custom receipts for checks and cash, simple P&L reports. Love it! I am recommending this service to all of my clients that have a need.

Cons:

Maybe it's just me, being a numbers derelict and all, but some of the features (the things you need to do) are not that easy to find. However on the bright side, if you ask a question, you will usually get a fast straight answer.

Christopher
Freelance Developer in US

ZipBooks gives me a simple, but powerful alternative to QuickBooks Online, at 1/3 the cost

Pros:

The interface is very modern, responsive, and easy to navigate. I moved from QuickBooks to ZipBooks due to a recent price increase, and I haven't looked back. It has most of the features from QuickBooks that I needed, plus I actually enjoy working in ZipBooks because the app just works.

Cons:

It could allow a bit more invoice customization, like being able to set a NET-15 / NET-30 on a recurring invoice rather than it being due on receipt. Other than that, it's worked pretty well.

Bryan
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Simple, intuitive, customer support responds super quick.

Comments: Organizes our billing and record keeping and helps us accept payments faster and on a recurring basis.

Pros:

Cheap, clean and easy to use. Customer support is wicked fast. I am blown away about how intuitive the software is. Easy to import lists and accept payments. Looks super professional.

Cons:

Would like more short video tutorials and fees always seem high, just need to keep building our revenue through this site and that would seem less.

Catrina
Peer Specialist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Great for Feedback!

Comments: I've used ZipBooks on and off for less than a year for personal and small business.

Pros:

I like ZipBooks feedback functionality - the ease of which you can receive reviews, and how it incorporates the most popular social media.

Cons:

I don't like that I can't track inventory. I'll need to have, open and use an additional program for inventory and figure out how to incorporate them.

Bruna
Analista in Brazil
Accounting, 501–1,000 Employees

Review ZipBooks

Pros:

I like Zipbooks because I can handle unlimited transactions and customers for free. it's easy to use.

Cons:

Important features are only available in the paid version. it is not possible to track the stock. it lacks advanced features and integration options.

Pascual
Owner/Psychologist in US

Free and great alternative to QuickBooks

Pros:

Free, easy to use, professional and helpful customer support. It allows you to sync your bank account information into the system to save time.

Cons:

Sometimes the sync does not work properly and you have to re-link your bank account to ZipBooks or refresh several times.

Tyler
Tyler
Exec Director in US

Receiving payments is absolutely insane.

Pros:

It looks nice and relatively polished, it's easy to navigate, and the setup process (seems) pretty easy.

Cons:

The setup process is bizarre. Only after I had received a payment, I was told they were holding my funds until I sent them my Social Security Number USING LIVE CHAT, which is absolutely insane. The live chat provider they use, in fact, specifically says it is not secure enough for that, and forbids them from doing so in their Terms of Service. Additionally, weird features are gated on the free plan. For example, you can't see your notifications.

Dan
US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Intuitive, responsive

Comments: Software is user-friendly, straight forward. I love the automazation built in, and also the flexibility available for what cant be automated. They recently added an automatic receipt feature that my clients love. Zipbooks is quick to answer customer service requests and has more than exceeded expectations enabling me to grow my business.

8 years ago

Dan, Thanks for adopting the product so early and sticking with it through all the feature growing pains. Glad your customers like the new receipt feature! ZipBooks Team

Alex
Director in Australia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Deleted my account

Comments: For some reason zipbooks deleted my account without warning or notification, when I queried them they were unable to recover the account and I was instead met with a patronising support team member who suggested I just create a new account.

Pros:

The software was easy to use and intuitive.

Cons:

They deleted my account without warning.

Vlas
Chrome Extension Developer in Ukraine
Used the Software for: Not provided

Best Invoicing Software Out There

Comments: I am a freelance chrome extension developer. Most of my projects are not very big, and I always find myself having dozens of customers that owe me money. But it is a huge pain in the gluteus maximus to track all of them manually, send them emails or call them on Skype. Thant is why I use ZippBooks - beause it solves my problem.

8 years ago

Glad we could help, Vlas!