Invoice Ninja Reviews

4.8 (140) Write a Review!

About Invoice Ninja

Create. Send. Get Paid. Invoice Ninja is the leading small-business platform to invoice, accept payments, track expenses & time tasks.

Learn more about Invoice Ninja

Pros:

Easy to use, self-explanatory user interface and data model, API for integration with existing business applications.

Cons:

There is one or two missing features that are key for me (combined currency income for example), but those are coming with the soon to be released next major version.

Invoice Ninja ratings

4.8
4.8
4.7
4.9

9.5/10

Invoice Ninja has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 140 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Invoice Ninja before?

Kenric
Kenric
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Awesome software for a small business

Comments: This is a helpful way for me to manage my company's invoices especially on the go. It is perfect for my self ran business.

Pros:

Easy to setup and use out of the box. Lots of information if you need help. Can create multiple companies and multiple users.

Cons:

The invoice preview wasn't working for me by default. I had to download every invoice to just see what I was sending. I googled a small and simple fix. I just had to disable a setting and previews worked as expected.

3 years ago

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your kind words and having you on board, thank you! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Trevor
Trevor
Owner / Coder in Australia
Internet, Self Employed

The Best All Around Solution

Comments: Invoice Ninja is the invoicing solution I've always needed! Finally! But it's not just invoicing, it easily enables me to track my time, my income and my expenses as well (plus you can do even more with it if you want!). And it does this all at a very fair and affordable price for this sector. Many of the competitors are simply over priced, especially for sole traders that don't do a ton of business. It's also amazing that it is both powerful and easy to use. If you don't need to do much with it, then you can very quickly just get invoicing. For those who like to tinker and tweak or need more functionality, then it can do that too. It's rare to find both ease of use and powerful customization together.

Pros:

Very easy to use and setup, yet at the same time the flexibility and functionality exceeds all other options I've tried in this sector.

2 years ago

GREAT REVIEW!!! Thank you so much for your kind words and taking time to share! We're glad to have you as part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Tobias
Owner / Founder in Australia
Computer Networking, Self Employed

Version 4 was a fantastic product. Version 5 migration was a desaster and the product is worse now.

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Fantastic, until Version 5 has been forced onto customers.

Pros:

Version 4 had everything I needed as "one-man show" for my small IT business.

Cons:

I thought, awesome there is this new Version 5. Let's start early and get onto the new features it has. This decision not only cost me a lot of valuable time to fix lots of bugs of the "automated" Migration process itself, but also it finally cost me almost $700 of my income because of an unwanted (automated) email that went out to a customer unplanned and unwarned. The new design of Version 5 seemed more like a homage to a Google Developer's Database Tool than an actual helpful product for the daily business administration. It was a **** in the neck to say the least. And today, I open up my Version 4 (Yes, I moved back, what a surprise) and the system tells me, I am suddenly on a Free account and I have only until End of November 2022 to move on to Version 5. Well, thank you Invoice Ninja!! Looks like I'm gonna have to cancel my Enterprise License altogether then very soon. You gonna lose a former happy customer, but I guess - in the name of progress and for your own Developer's Happiness about their favourite new toy: Version 5, that's the way it's gonna go... "Sad to see you leave customer, who cares."

Richard
Utilities, 2-10 Employees

Beware

Comments: They lied to us and I spent a week swapping over and now going back to quick books because you can only have 300 customers with a growth of just 100 a month. So I'm being penalized for growth so no way.

Pros:

I purchased this program to get away from quick books and after talking to them about my customer load they made it sound like it was no problem. As soon as I sent out reacurring invoices they started flagging my account saying I had to many and it was considered phishing. I'm in trash collections and have over 1000 customers that's why I paid them money so I could have unlimited. I'm going back to quick books.

Cons:

They liked to me saying I could have unlimited customers when they only let you have 300 and can only grow by 100 a month.

3 years ago

We allow unlimited customers & unlimited invoices. For NEW account only we limit 300 emails DAILY (9,300 monthly), to avoid spammers. The limit is increased each month an account is active.

Nipon
Nipon
Executive Director in Bangladesh

A great billing and invoicing app for FREE!

Comments: I found it really useful. Highly recommend for small businesses and freelancers

Pros:

They offer a plan for free forever which is best for startups, small businesses and individuals who doesn’t want to spend money for invoicing yet. Easily integrable with most e-commerce solutions. You can fully brand the whole thing by paying only a few dollars per month. You can use their server or host it yourself on yours easily without having any programming skills. Also they. Offer a easy to use mobile app which makes invoicing mobile

Cons:

Most payment processors like PayPal offer invoicing app for free.

2 months ago

Thank you for your great review!

Alberto
Founder in Colombia
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees

An Amazing Invoicing Software that Will Leave You and Your Clients in Awe

Comments: Invoice Ninja is an invoicing software that can make your business look that much more professional. For the small price tag, you get a very powerful, fully customizable system that will make your invoicing headaches disappear. We have linked Stripe and Authorize.Net to it with a simple copy and paste of the payment gateway key and within minutes we were charging customers. I highly recommend Invoice Ninja!

Pros:

InvoiceNinja is extremely easy to use for both your team and clients. It allows for you to create customizable and nicely designed invoices and quotes. You can customize the messaging sent in email communications. It also gives your clients their own portals to manage their accounts.

Cons:

Reoccuring invoices can be difficult to use and understand how they work. Also, when sending quotes they valid dates seem to end the day before in the evening and clients cannot accept the pricing sent so a new quote must be sent. There is also a lack of direct customer support and instead provide a knowledge base.

3 years ago

Thank you very much for your support & high recommendation! If you every need any support or have questions, we're at your service! Thanks again!

Jonathan
Chief Narrative Officer in US

Free Invoice Solution - No More Excuses

Comments: Incredibly helpful and uncorked a big bottleneck for getting my business started. Also powerful enough to continue to use even beyond the startup phase.

Pros:

The amount of work it took off my plate. I didn't have to pay someone to send invoices or struggle with PDF templates, Google doc formatting, or other bloated invoice software.

Cons:

The Invoice Ninja messaging is a little low budget, but I also know INC 5000 companies that use the free version. It's really a matter of preference.

8 months ago

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback! Welcome to the Invoice Ninja community!

Dennis
CEO in Philippines
Telecommunications, 2-10 Employees

Gets the job done!

Pros:

InvoiceNinja works out-of-the-box. It's easy and reliable and specifically designed for freelancers and SMEs.

Cons:

Would love to see integration for platforms such as Payoneer and QuickBooks for payment requests and accounting. However, I understand that the lack thereof is probably more of an issue with respective providers. The proposal editor could use a rework as well to make it more intuitive.

2 years ago

Great review! Thank you for your kind words and being apart of the Invoice Ninja community! If you have any questions we're at your service!

Yasien
Owner in South Africa
Design, 2-10 Employees

A Happy'ish Invoice Ninja Client

Comments: I would like to see the clients phone number on the main Client screen.
Some more updated youtube videos will be appreciated.

Pros:

Invoice Ninja is easy to use and support has been very impressive when needed. I like that I can almost forget to do invoicing because it is done for you, especially recurring invoicing. It would be nice if statements could be sent out automatically on all overdue accounts.

Cons:

I cannot always tell if clients have Viewed their invoices. Syncing with phone app not reliable for android. Proposals need some work. I am using Plutio.com for my proposals and digital signatures. The proposal sections look dated. More templates and a community that can share temples.

3 years ago

Thank you for your lovely review & great feedback/input! We'll definitely take your input into consideration as we release future updates!

Marketing Manager in Australia
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees

Go Global with Invoice Ninja

Comments: Global Billing
Single Payment gateway.
Multiple users worldwide.

Pros:

Hi., We have customers worldwide and we sell our subscription service to the customers for the shipping portal freightmarket.com Invoice ninja has helped us to expand globally by billing clients in multiple currency using a single payment gateway. Highly recomended for business trading worldwide

Cons:

Simple to use and easy to understand. If you cant use Invoice ninja, you shouldnt be in business. Cheap pricing

3 years ago

Thank you very much for your great review, we're thrilled you love our platform!

Kyle
Kyle
Owner/Technician in Australia
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Nothing else like Invoice Ninja!

Comments: Overall, I really love Invoice Ninja however! The team listens to feedback, and actively works to fix issues. They care about their product, and offer it at a reasonable price. I self host, which is free, and I support them by buying a white label license to remove the invoice ninja branding on invoices.

Pros:

Invoice Ninja is incredibly powerful and offers the ability to self host, which is of big importance for myself. I particularly like the client portal and the ability for my clients to log in at anytime to view their active or past invoices and payments. The ability to customise most of the details such as what is displayed on your invoice, where it's displayed, the colours, etc. is really great. Other solutions charge a monthly fee just to have custom fields! I love the way the workflow works with quotes too, where I can create a quote and if it becomes approved via the client portal it can get turned into an invoice automatically. Being able to access it from a browser anywhere to get my invoicing done or use an app on virtually every platform there is, is fantastic. Oh, and it actually looks great on mobile. It's all the little bits and pieces and the constantly evolving feature set that makes Invoice Ninja the best.

Cons:

V4 was virtually indestructible compared to v5, but v5 is getting to a very good point and the team had a very valid reason for the overhaul. Things work seamlessly across devices with the same frameworks being used. The only downside is a fair few bugs here and there, some of them which have even been a deal breaker at an earlier point in time so I had to continue using V4 until they were fixed up. A few issues still exist but the team does listen and actively works to resolve them. I report whatever bugs or issues I find and continue to support the team regardless. I'd also like to see an inventory tracker come into play. That would be really useful.

last year

Fantastic review! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback and being part of the Invoice Ninja community!

Jason
Jason
Web Design, Photography, Print Design in US
Building Materials, 11-50 Employees

Has vastly improved my invoicing process and made easy what was once an arduous task.

Pros:

This software is so easy to use, but is packed with features! Everything gets calculated automatically, and all of my clients' information is stored in one place. Probably the most valuable feature for me is the automatic email reminders, since some clients forget to pay me on time. I never have to go back and figure out who's paid me and who hasn't, since Invoice Ninja tracks this for me. I can even see who has Viewed my invoices, which is very helpful.

Cons:

1. I think recurring invoices can be improved. Ideally, payments would automatically be drafted at each interval, rather than emailing an invoice for client to pay. Also, I'd like a better way to automatically display the correct service date range for quarterly invoices when the recurring invoices are generated. For annual invoices, I can use the year variable which would change each year, but for custom date ranges every quarter I haven't figured out an automatic method. I just change the date range manually before the next invoice is sent. 2. Although data can be exported, tax information is not. It would be VERY helpful to have sales tax info exported as well, instead of total invoice amounts. Currently, I have to look at each invoice individually each quarter when filing state sales tax returns. That is the only way I can determine pre-tax revenue amounts.

5 years ago

Thank you for your very kind review! Please email us and we'll help you setup auto-billing so your invoices are automatically paid. When editing a recurring invoice if you click the question mark next to the frequency select you'll see some more help. Invoice item taxes have been added to the export in our latest release.

Erik
Erik
Technical Service Representative in Canada
Telecommunications

Affordable Feature-Rich Small Business Invoicing Software

Comments: Invoice Ninja saves me a ton of administrative time as it allows me to track time spent on projects for clients, create quotes and invoices with ease, and doesn't have a plethora of "extras" that I'd otherwise be paying for (but not necessarily using) through another invoicing provider. Overall it provides me with the best value for an entry-level invoicing solution based on the features I currently need, so I don't see myself switching from Invoice Ninja for quite some time.

Pros:

I settled on Invoice Ninja after trying a plethora of other free or low-cost open source invoicing platforms because it's super easy to navigate, and handles importing and exporting data with ease. Installing a self-hosted instance was a breeze and updates have always gone smoothly without causing any downtime for me. Managing client contact information to generate quotes or track time is simple, as is creating, sending, and getting paid for Invoices. I definitely recommend Invoice Ninja to any small business looking for a relatively simple and inexpensive invoicing solution.

Cons:

I don't have many complaints about Invoice Ninja, but there are a few things I'd like to see improved in future updates. Invoice Ninja's self-hosted installation & update process becoming easier through an automated installer / updater, similar to WordPress, would be great to see for those who are less technically savvy. I'd also love to see service tracking / ticketing implemented for repair tracking, and maybe even job tracking for businesses with mobile technicians or tradesmen, like plumbers or mobile mechanics. The Invoice Ninja team is very open with users about what needs fixing and implementing though, so I know they'll listen if enough people request a specific feature or report bugs.

4 years ago

Fantastic review! Regarding your feedback, right now we're working to launch a "ticketing" system that we also be used as a CRM & in-house tool for your team, you can see the video here for a pre-release demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3j2sCwrvc Thank you again!!!

Aurore
Webdesigner in France

After trial testing, I signed up for pro version and am very satisfied with it !

Pros:

First of all, a multilingual app is great, more comfortable to work in your native language. One of the greatest feature in task and timer (timer can be installed directly on computer). In one click, task (with detailed timing) can be transformed in invoice, and a second click to send it to the client. I saved so much time with that !! Working in graphic design, invoice template is important to me. I tested many billing and invoicing systems. Finally Invoiceninja was the best choice. Nice templates for beginners. And customization allows good design (just need to work on code, but support and videos help you on that). Customer support is great, very quick (reply few minutes later) and very helpful. Clients propose various new features through the forum, and the dev team continue to improve the app considering clients feedback. Finally, invoices and quotes are so easy to create, there is no need to say more on that! Products list is a smart feature. Creating a catalogue of all products ans services makes invoicing very fast and intuitive. Once again, so much time saved. There is plenty of options in this app. Through features and custom fields, the app becomes your app, according your needs and your billing way. I can't wait to use Zapier to connect my shop with the invoicing app. After that, administrative works will not need anymore dedicated days on my calendar (only few minutes per month)

Cons:

Actually, I can not think of any cons. Of course, it is natural to want more and more features but comparing to other apps, this app is the best and more accurate. Moreover, after many topics on support forum, support helped me a lot to resolve all issues. And try to add new features or options to match these needs.

4 years ago

Thank you for your kind review! I'm so glad that you're enjoying the platform and features! If we can add anything or address any questions, we're here to help! Thanks again!

Mike
Freelancer in US

Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support.

Pros:

Invoice Ninja is extremely easy to use, which is their main point. But that ease of use doesn't mean it doesn't have powerful features. There's plenty of functionality for freelancers such as myself to make getting paid a snap. The developers are also a top-notch group. Any time I've had an issue or a question, they're always quick to either fix a bug or point out exactly what I need to do to solve a problem. You don't get that from larger shops that have a bunch first-tier support people following a script. Having a developer team that communicates efficiently with the user base makes all the difference in the world. From an administrative standpoint, I could probably run it on a toaster as long as I had enough space for my database. If you choose to go the self-hosted route, there's no need for high-end VPS solutions. A single core with a gig of ram and some storage is more than enough to get you up and running.

Cons:

If I had to pick something to gripe about, it would be that the setup process for self-hosted can be a bit finnicky for beginners. But once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. Setting up my own deployment has helped me learn a lot about Linux administration, so it's a win in the end.

4 years ago

Wow! Great review! "Outstanding software, easy to use, with amazing support." this says it all! Thank you for much for your kind words and support!

Terry
Computer Software, Self Employed

I have been using Invoice Ninja for years now

Comments: The customers pay me on time!

Pros:

This is free and open source invoice system. I have been using this for over two years and loved it! It is easy for my clients and me. It also helps my clients to understand what they owe and what the cost the products. I have used various payment gateways for this and have not had a single complaint from any of my clients. This software is highly recommended to anyone, and I have been telling my clients about Invoice Ninja for a long time. They do host your invoice, or you can do self-hosting. It works great along with WordPress or other CMS to add the buy now button or recurring invoices. I had used hosted by Invoice Ninja when I didn't have to host account or a place to host it, and now I am hosting it on my dedicated server. Whenever I have an issue with anything, they will respond to the email very quickly and help you fix the problems.

Cons:

There is not one single thing I do not like about this software. If I didn't like this software, I would have gone with another invoice system.

4 years ago

Great review! This sentence says it all: " customers pay me on time" that is our goal! Thank you so for our kind review, we're super happy that it helps you GET PAID!

Mr in US
Information Services, 2-10 Employees

Invoice Ninja is professional, reliable and cost effective

Comments: We wanted a way to configure recurring billing, the solution must integrate with Stripe and QuickBooks. Invoice Ninja gets the job done.

Pros:

We are able to self-host Invoice Ninja on our cpanel website using Softaculous, other panels supported by Softaculous will also work.

Cons:

Some functions aren't intuitive. For example importing takes some work. On the plus side forum support provided by the developer is excellent.

2 years ago

Great review! Thank you for your fantastic feedback!

Owner - Web Designer/Developer/Marketer in US
Internet, Self Employed

A great solution for small business invoicing.

Comments: Whether using the hosted version, or hosting yourself, Invoice Ninja is a great option for handling your small business invoicing.

Pros:

The invoicing is super easy, and the recurring invoicing is a big plus to this software. Time tracker for tracking hours for billable billing...expense tracker as well...all easy to use features that I've been quite happy with. I switched from another service that I loved, but had become too expensive, and have been very happy that I switched as I have more features available with Invoice Ninja. One of the features I LOVE, is the ability to set up multiple companies on one login!

Cons:

I would love to see an option for recurring billing setup with Paypal so my recurring invoice clients can "set it and forget it". I would also like to see a little more flexibility with template customizing via the admin, I had to make some changes via code, which isn't a problem for me, but less savvy users may find that a detriment.

4 years ago

Great review! We appreciate your kind words! We're working everyday to add features, and keep the pricing down! We're so happy that you found Invoice Ninja, thank you again!

Eric
Owner in Canada
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees

Streamlined my invoicing and quoting

Comments: Invoice Ninja has allowed us to streamline our process for quotes and invoices. Since switching we are able to get quotes and invoices out to customers almost instantly without techs having to refer everything back to the office.

Pros:

I love that I can access Invoice Ninja from anywhere whether I'm in my office or infront of a customer I can quickly put together a quote, lookup a product or send off an invoice. With the customer portal my customers know exactly where they stand, saving my staff time from having to look up information for customers. We love that customers can accept or decline quotes, and pay invoices right from their email or portal. Getting notifications when customers have completed actions such as viewing an invoice helps us know where our customers stand in the quote and invoice process.

Cons:

I wish the project and time tracking modules were improved a bit, they don't exactly fit our needs, but it's not a deal breaker. I also would love to be able to add pictures of each product so that when the customer sees a quote or invoice they can see a picture of the product.

Aslam
Director in South Africa

Invoice Ninja - Invoicing Made Easy

Comments: - Been over a year that I am using the software had no issues.
- Other than connectivity issue with hosting provider.
- Forums for assistance and help from others

Pros:

- Easy of use - Customization of the software - Integration to payment gateways - Automatic Invoice Reminders

Cons:

- No inventory option would be nice - Additional Columns to be added for customization - Mobile tutorials for users

2 years ago

Awesome review, thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback! It's appreciated!

Laura
Freelance marketing writer in India

Extremely easy to use, very clear and intuitive

Comments: I think the toggle menu on the right (displaying the latest invoices) is not necessary, so I just keep it closed.

Pros:

I operate a small freelance business, and Invoice Ninja is perfect for my needs. I have no accounting/bookkeeping experience or knowledge, and I find that with Invoice Ninja, I can do everything I need to invoice my clients and get paid online very easily and quickly. Customer support is beyond anything I've seen before. When I've had questions or issues in the past, I've sent an email and received a response almost instantly. The free version is very suitable for my needs, and they don't hassle me to upgrade. It really is free. My clients are very happy with the system. It makes receiving/paying invoices and receiving receipts very easy for them too. I also really like the fact that the invoices look good, without me having to do anything really. I'm a writer - not a bookkeeper, not a software programmer, and not a graphic designer. Invoice Ninja is a good solution that doesn't demand any special knowledge or effort from me. From my poitn of view, that's probably its strongest point.

5 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review, we really appreciate it!

Raymond
Owner in South Africa

Hands down the best value for money product we got for our business.

Pros:

This software has streamlined our interaction with our clients like no other product. I can't remember the last time a client phoned and asked us to send a statement. Clients ask us what software we are using. Everybody who uses it is pleased with it. Now that we have been using it for a while, there is real value in seeing all the transactions in one place. New features are constantly being added. Response from support requests are always promptly handled. I love Invoice Ninja.

Cons:

I honestly can't think of anything that I am not happy with. There are no negatives. When multiple contacts are loaded for a company, the one that was loaded first, is always the one shown on the invoice, even after a different contact was selected. A minor issue.

5 years ago

Thank you for your stellar review!

Stanley
Stanley
System Administrator in Kenya

Billing & Invoicing made easy.

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Invoice management ad billing process has become very easy with the help of Invoice Ninja and inclusion of the client portal is a nice addition.

Pros:

Recurring billing/ Invoices cycle and ability to customize my Invoices to fit my company brand.

Cons:

Tack of multi company support is by far the biggest drawback for my use case.

Solutions Architect in US

Invoice Ninja - Invoices

Comments: The “Estimates” and the “proposal” functionality is one of a kind for a product in this category.

Pros:

Cons:

Services and Products unable to be combined in single invoice when generated from expenses and tasks. For “tasks” the manually recording the hours is time consuming because it requires entry of the actual day time hours. The first thing the customer portal home page displays in 18pt font when my customer logs in, is the total amount the customer has paid (not owes, not billed, not quoted) since inception; to much information (TMI) With no advantage to any business.

3 years ago

Thank you very much for your review & important input! We'll work to improve/implement your requests with our upcoming v2 release in mid 2020!

Rio
Chief Project Management in UK
Computer & Network Security, 11-50 Employees

We used to use Clearbooks... InvoiceNinja assassinated that.

Comments: Just better finance management. Its very clear in its operation. You can see at a glance whats happening within the company, how much money is owed and how much is earned every quarter etc. Brilliant.
haven't found anything as of yet (using it for 6 months paid) and the monthly updates keep improving it. will edit this to reflect if any problems arise

Pros:

We are a small digital company based in Scotland and were using clear books... then out of the blue Invoice Ninja got recommended by a client. Its transformed our company finances. Clearbooks had too much, other softwares had very little. Invoice Ninja is right bang in the middle, giving you the necessary tools to go ahead, which is excellent. They keep updating it so its better every month aswell. -Its extremely fluid and easy to use -updating it on the road with the app is excellent -its very clear cut, no clutter

5 years ago

Thank you for your excellent review! Please feel free to email us at [email protected] to let us know what features you'd like to see added next. In case you haven't seen it you can follow our roadmap here: https://trello.com/b/63BbiVVe/invoice-ninja