Blackboard LMS for Business Reviews

• Overall
    3.7 /5
    3.8 /5

About Blackboard LMS for Business

Through our innovative technology and services, Blackboard for Business helps organizations turn learning into a strategic advantage.

Learn more about Blackboard LMS for Business

Showing 25 reviews of 276

Bethany S.
Librarian
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2021

"It's a good product"

Comments: We use this for submitting time sheets and various student interactions.

Pros: If you have the support from your school's IT department, this software can be great. I've used it when working for different schools and used it as a student user. The options to personalize could be better. Some things I didn't find useful and couldn't remove from my viewing space.

Cons: Not being able to personalize options to my needs. If I don't want to see a feature on my home page I should be able to remove it completely, not just move it over.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2021
Brian C.
Sr. Health data analyst
Medical Practice, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style"

Comments: Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros: I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons: The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Hannah D.
Clerical Assistant
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2019

"Needs some work for organization"

Comments: Not great. If I were to choose, I would go with canvas, which my university will be switching to in the next four years.

Pros: Probably my favorite thing about this software is how you can link videos, external links, and also professors can create quizzes, assignments, and tests on the platform and select various settings for their individual assignment/assessment. I LOVE taking tests on here because they are straight forward.

Cons: They really need to add a "flag" feature to the tests that are made and administered through the program. There have been many times when I am taking a long multiple-choice test and am not sure of the answer but then remember it 20 questions later, but by that time I can't find the original question that I remembered the answer for. The organization of this information system is, however, trash. Navigating around the site between classes and tabs within each class is annoying and not very intuitive. The way the site is made reminds me of someone trying to make a sign with a lot of diverse information, but everything on the sign is 12pt time new roman font - there's little differentiation between different ideas and concepts.

• Reviewed on 05/08/2019
Joel thomas B.
Teacher
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/11/2018

"As both a teacher and a student - Blackboard works for me"

Comments: Make sure you explore the user guides and options, blackboard can be a powerful tool but some of it's features are less than obvious!

Pros: As a instructor blackboard lets me integrate a lot of different types of media through Kaltura, structure time released content ,vary assessments, and deliver individualized learning opportunities. All of these elements are crucial to my instruction. As a student, I get mobile access and notifications about grades, announcements, and course changes that help me manage my learning.

Cons: While the features are wonderful, they are somewhat convoluted to properly utilize, requiring more steps than I would like, and can sometimes be "hidden" in such ways that I have to refer back to user guides because it's not a very intuitive integration. Therefore, as a student, I find many of my professors do not fully take advantage of the learning management system because they have limited knowledge.

• Reviewed on 24/11/2018
Amy D.
Student
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2018

"Not a top-notch product"

Comments: The platform is complex for teachers to use, and is not entirely user friendly for students either.

Pros: my professors can put my grades up on it so I can track them myself without bothering the professors.

Cons: Figuring out what my grade is or was and trying to access the content I have submitted has become more difficult in the last year. If I take a quiz I must take specific steps to see the results so that I can study from it for the test.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2018
Nasira B.
Faculty
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/05/2018

"Effective learning management system with good tech support"

Pros: Announcements, quizzes, compatible with TurnItIn assignments, makes grading simple. Easy to communicate with students and provide information regarding assignments. Posting media is also simple.

Cons: Difficult to administer exams due to inability to block access to Internet during testing. Would also like a feature that allowed a simple way to drop lowest score in a category. Creating quizzes is a bit tedious as well.

• Reviewed on 11/05/2018
Jim C.
Lab Reseach Student, Belsham Lab
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/03/2019

"Packed with features, but design can be overwhelming for a beginner"

Comments: Once I got the hang out the software (which definitely took a while of frustration), the experience has been great and I have been able to customize and set up a wide variety of things on Blackboard.

Pros: The features and customization possibilities are endless - this is what makes this software truly stand out against its competitors.

Cons: The interface may have a steep learning curve, as it can be unfriendly for beginners.

• Reviewed on 15/03/2019
Jessica M.
Graduate Assistant
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2018

"Blackboard for College"

Pros: User friendly, simple, no training required, ease of attaching files, used at several colleges, and most people have experience using the software for their college needs.

Cons: Problems with uploads occasionally, but basically the format could look a little nicer. It doesn't have a lot of flaws, but in comparison, I prefer Canvas to Blackboard for college assignments and coursework.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2018
Brian A.
Sales Manager
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2018

"Perfect for online courses"

Pros: I'm taking online courses and my professors use Blackboard and I love it. I'm very unorganized and forgetful, Blackboard lets me know whats coming up and lets me communicate with my professors and get help.

Cons: My iPad doesn't have data so I can only log on under WiFi... I guess that's my problem though not Blackboards.

• Reviewed on 06/04/2018
Matilda K.
HR ANALYST
Banking, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/01/2019

"Just Fantastic. Gets the Job done for me."

Pros: Blackboard is a simple e learning solution for companies as well as students. It is easy to customize and very user friendly. Totally in love with the virtual classroom functionality as well as the certification management. Great Software.

Cons: This software like all software isn’t perfect. The mobile app seems a little sluggish. It works for me all the time so am cool e=with this software and would highly recommend.

• Reviewed on 10/01/2019
Constance B.
Project Administrator
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2019

"Blackboard for School"

Pros: Blackboard is what most of the colleges use now a days for us online students and I believe it is fairly easy to use.

Cons: No real cons of Blackboard besides user error. Sometimes the information is inputted in incorrectly and makes the page look glitchy.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2019
Tim L.
Vice President
Primary/Secondary Education, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/06/2018

"Blackboard is getting better"

Pros: Quite a few people are using the LMS. Due to current uses Blackboard has changed much of their compatibly with other software.

Cons: This product could be much better. One of the major problems is how email sent through this system can not be responded to in an other email client

• Reviewed on 28/06/2018
Mansoor N.
Data Manager
Philanthropy, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/10/2018

"Great tool for schools"

Pros: Very easy and simple to use interface. All classes and class related materials are very easy to mavigate.

Cons: Not sure if its a con but it is very basic and it need an interface upgrade to keep up with today’s advanced tech but I do not want to lose the its simplicity either.

• Reviewed on 05/10/2018
Jeanette V.
Payroll
1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/06/2018

"Blackboard Learn"

Pros: I like that it connects to email and seems to be very organized. I can access all learning tools and assignments just by logging into one portal.

Cons: at times can be difficult to navigate around. There are a ton of things you can click on, can be easy to get lost at times.

• Reviewed on 05/06/2018
Pranamesh C.
Graduate Research Assistant
Higher Education
  • Reviewed on 28/03/2018

"Using it super-easily everyday for classes"

Pros: Very simple tool. Can set notifications based on requirements (i.e., grade upload, assigment upload, etc.)

Cons: Not easy to follow up discussions regarding any assignment or project. The discussion board can be placed better.

• Reviewed on 28/03/2018
Minh T.
Project Assistant
Primary/Secondary Education, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2018

"Best for student"

Pros: Everything is well organized for a student like me. I can easily see the due date of every assignment.

Cons: Sometimes it does not show my grade on it. I have to refresh a couple times to see it. But happy overall

• Reviewed on 15/11/2018
Casey S.
Communications Coordinator
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/10/2018

"Easy way to stay up-to-date on class"

Pros: The messaging functionality was an efficient way to stay informed on updates about the class. I also enjoyed that all of my classes were easy to find in one place.

Cons: Sometimes the dashboard could be hard to navigate. My experience also depending greatly upon the professor of the class utilizing the software in the best way possible.

• Reviewed on 19/10/2018
Librarian
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/08/2020

"Needs improvement"

Pros: Don’t get me wrong Blackboard is a great product. Before I had used any other LMS, I enjoyed the features and services. But once our organization switched to canvas, I realized Blackboard has some catching up to do, in terms of ease of use and integration. Blackboard can be especially buggy for students in the age of Covid who are trying to get work done in their phones. Do your research!

Cons: The Mobile app needs huge bug improvements and ease of use enhancements

• Reviewed on 19/08/2020
Mariam A.
Technician
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2018

"Great for students"

Pros: Blackboard is great to use as a student. It's user-friendly and very easy to learn and navigate through. Grades and assignments are easy to view.

Cons: The site could sometimes be slow or would go down but that was very occasionally. I didn't really have any issues using it.

• Reviewed on 18/09/2018
Hilda M.
Academic Success Coach
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2018

"Great Learning Management System"

Pros: Blackboard provided a perfect and easy way to facilitate online courses, with many helpful features including discussion boards, grade breakdowns, and easy administrative tools.

Cons: My main complaint is that I think it could be prettier - it is not the most modern looking software. I also don't think they are doing anything that is particularly innovative to push them above and beyond other learning management systems.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2018
Philip H.
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2019

"Blackboard Learn was helpful to me as an adjunct professor"

Pros: I like that you can both have a back-end as a professor where students can't see your work, and also an option to push things out to your students in a public-facing way.

Cons: My least favorite thing is sometimes Blackboard Learn would be down for maintenance at my university at inopportune times. But that may be less related to the software and more related to the university itself.

• Reviewed on 24/04/2019
Robert B.
Accountant
Pharmaceuticals, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/04/2020

"Used for undergraduate schoolwork"

Comments: While it got the job done, it could use some updating. I do like this better than Canvas.

Pros: I liked the option on Blackboard to view all of your grades. This would show grades for all classes at the same time rather than going into each individual class to look for grades.

Cons: There were a lot of words - it would benefit from differentiating between the classes somehow rather than just a hyperlink.

• Reviewed on 27/04/2020
Student Employment Coordiator
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/04/2019

"Great for Business or Education"

Comments: Great experience overall in that it's user friendly for everyone involved in the meetings.

Pros: Ease of use logging in and the ability to view videos, chat with the person presenting, and you can interact with those who are logged into the meeting if needed.

Cons: The blackboard app typically won't stay connected online and I end up using my laptop for the session.

• Reviewed on 22/04/2019
Kensei P.
Mechanic
Consumer Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"Great start to online learning but can be difficult to use"

Pros: The menus are clean and simple
Easy to navigate the menus, different screens and options
Saves time and energy than going to an actual classroom

Cons: It is only as good as the instructor who sets it up.
blackboard is easy to use, but if the instructor is not computer savvy (or lazy) then you can have a difficult time using the software.
Maybe blackboard is harder to set up as an instructor than it is to use as a student

Samantha C.
Producer
E-Learning, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/05/2019

"Dread using it to teach"

Pros: Journal feature, grading system is fairly easy and can communicate directly with students

Cons: I have taught at a few colleges who use Blackboard over Canvas and I always dread using it because the layout is dated and clunky. Although I have taught myself to use it and have grown more comfortable over the years, it's a headache to introduce to students.

• Reviewed on 13/05/2019