Zoho Expense Reviews

4.6 (774) Write a Review!

About Zoho Expense

Zoho Expense has powerful features to handle travel and expenses, control spending, and customize and automate business processes.

Learn more about Zoho Expense

Pros:

The mobile app and the ease of set-up and use of most features. If I have questions customer support responds in a reasonable time-frame.

Cons:

There is a steep learning curve and the concept of reports is a bit unclear for junior staff. Occasionally the app stops working.

Zoho Expense ratings

4.5
4.5
4.4
4.6

8.7/10

Zoho Expense has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 774 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Zoho Expense before?

Puran
Puran
Virtual Assistant in India
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 201-500 Employees

Quite useful tool to track and record company expenses

Comments: In overall I just love the Zoho Expense, now I'm able to record my monthly expenses for a company and can mark them reimbursement item that means once approved I will get reimbursed for that expense from a company which is not only helping me but also helping the company in smoothing the whole process of monitoring the expenses and providing reimbursements.

Pros:

I have started using Zoho Books initially and gradually I explored other Zoho products as well. In a few days, I got to know about the Zoho Expense and I was like this is the tool I need. It makes my life really easy by offering the easiest way to record my expenses for the company and other employees as well. Once the expenses are recorded in the Zoho Expense, it will directly be shown in the Zoho Books. I just love this feature.

Cons:

Well, there are no cons I have noticed but for the unfamiliar person, it might be a little tricky at initial to learn and to use it. But, believe me, the Zoho team will provide any required support to make sure you are having a good experience with their services/tools.

Maddie
Maddie
System Administrator in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

I love how friendly it is Zoho to new users

Comments: There are several positive aspects to this program. Although it is well-designed, some of the functionality is still not entirely functional. I appreciate the user-friendly design and the ease with which expenses can be submitted. The bespoke procedures for approval make it simple to route costs for secondary approvals depending on their monetary worth, saving time and money.

Pros:

The pricing of the program is attractive to me because it is competitively priced in comparison to its competitors. I do a lot more for my company now, which is why I switched to a different software package. I feel that this program will be beneficial to someone who is just getting started. The program is incredibly simple to use and has proven to be really beneficial in keeping me organized with my company expenses as well as in keeping me on track with my tax preparation.

Cons:

Overall, this is an excellent tool. At first sight, the supplementary papers that are connected to the reports may be disregarded, although this is not a serious cause for concern.

Tina
Director of Sales in US
Wholesale, 51-200 Employees

Life Saver

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: By using the app, I automatically take pictures of receipts when getting them. No more procrastination inputting at the end of the week. I don't miss any receipts and they are in order by date, so accounting can match to the credit card charges. This is saving time and sometimes trees. A lot of hotel receipts are emailed directly to my business email. I'm able to go on website and attach these receipts into the report saving paper. Very easy to do. You can never get back time. Time is money and this saves me a lot of it.

Pros:

When my previous provider discontinued their service, I was in a panic. I immediately started searching and reading reviews. Zoho Expense was the closest I could find to support my needs. The cost was very reasonable, and the app is easy to use. It was important for me to be able to have access to an app that stored receipt photos and giving me a comment section where I could explain what each expense was for. Their app was self-explanatory easy to use, and the website allows you to review all information compiled on the app making changes, if necessary, before submitting.

Cons:

The only downside I have experienced is when taking photos on the app, the photo store to my phone. There might be an easy fix to this, but I haven't had time to try. I just go and delete all the photos once my expenses have been submitted.

Jace
Business Consultant in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees

Great Potential, Poor Execution & Customization

Comments: Overall I have not been pleased. Customer service is very nice but incomplete in their responses and you don't realize it until something occurs and you lose weeks worth of work. They punt to other Zoho teams a lot for helping you. And you cannot speak with anyone in the US. I would not normally have a problem with this, but they don't seem to understand that as the administrator of the account, I pay the bill and should be able to access the account of employees who no longer work for us.

Pros:

This software has been relatively easy for our team to use in the field to record expenses. I would say that the ability to snap a picture of receipts and auto-recognize the vendor and amount is good. And the reconciliation process with credit card statements is great.

Cons:

Too many problem to list here. The biggest problem I have is that as the administrator, I do not have complete control over all our user accounts. Our employees are truck drivers out on the road. They occassionally miss a receipt and I have to follow up later. But I can't just get the receipt and upload it. I must reject their report and they must re-submit. We've had employees who were terminated and they turned in their final receipts in hard copy, but I am unable to gain access to their account. Zoho won't give me access to their account so I can remove their credit card and delete the user from our account, along with any old receipts that are still "unsubmitted" in their queue. The onboarding process has been incredibly long because customer service was incomplete in their information. They never told me that credit card transactions had to be uploaded prior to employees submitting their expense reports. Thus, the auto reconcilitation did not occur and I must get employees to go in and manually match their receipts. This must be done on a computer and is virtually impossible when the users are truck drivers without laptops. If you use Capitol One credit cards, run far away from Zoho. Even though our cards are all corporate cards and our employees don't have access to their own account online, that is what we must do if we want to use the auto-import feature. Otherwise, each employee has to download their own credit card transactions.

Director of IT in US
Biotechnology, 51-200 Employees

Greatr Product - Out of the box it works!

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Easy to use, easy to customize, great product for mobile and online users. Other products need to look at this product and see what an expense tracking software should be like.

Pros:

Easy to custimzae if you watn to do so, easy to submit reports, add users.

Cons:

The custom email address which may be used to send your receipts, is it a bit hard to find after initial setup.

Dylan
Director of Finance and Operations in US

Easy to use, everything you need, and attractive pricing

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Delivers all the core features and them some, with top-tier ease of use and UX. An equal, if not superior, offering to top competitors at a lower price point.

Cons:

The only (minor) piece of constructive feedback I can think of: the requirement to initiate a reimbursement after approving an expense report feels redundant. Some of our approvers initially assumed that approving the expense report was the final step for the submitter to be reimbursed.

joey
CTO in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees

Switched from Expensify

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Seems to have everything we need, at fraction of price Expensify wanted. We switched after Expensify raised our price and would not let us cancel service. (we canceled the card on file instead)

Cons:

Has taken forever to get our corporate feed setup. But that may be our banks fault.

sean
peer support specialist in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

amazing

Comments: it has helped me keep in business

Pros:

keeps me focused and helps me look at what expenses I have

Cons:

cant think of anything I have not had any trouble or problems with this program

Mohammed
CEO in US
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees

Najmna review

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: straightforward to utilize, numerous apps, and ease of use.

Pros:

Easy to navigate and use. The system helps us to stay organized and categorize all of our expenses. The automation and scanning systems are great, and usually very accurate. The categories and assigning the customers and projects is also nice feature that helps us create invoices faster. Played a great role in launching our small business.

Cons:

As I said, it's easy to use from the management's point of view. However, the app lacks customization from other users' standpoints. It's good for basic needs, but I'm not sure how it would work for more complex projects.

Anthony
Director in UK
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

Simple to use with fantastic control and integration into ZoHo Books

5.0 last month New

Comments: It let's a small business focus on their day job and allows the employees get back their expenses simply and accurately, what more does a small business need, happy staff better business.

Pros:

As a small business, we need access to excellent tools that allow us to focus on our core tasks and not have to worry or waste time on activities that distract us from them. Zoho expense integration is another very valuable element, not only can we verify what is and what isn't a valid claim it drops straight into our accounts for handling...couldn't see us not using it ever.

Cons:

Would have prefered a 4 user free service, but that is just me being focused on cost control. I have no complaints at all about Zoho expenses, ask me again in a years time.

Maribel
Accountant in US
Restaurants, Self Employed

Zoho has met my needs

Comments: I'm a fan no doubt. But definitely needs improvement on the AI receipt Auto Scan to be a top product. I still have to figure out the integration and improved export of data. Need to automate as much as possible.

Pros:

Install: Easy to install and start up. Learning curve was minimal (but I have many years of finance systems experience, so I'm not sure if it would have been easy for those with no experience). Mobile app: The ease of mobile input. Great features, easy enough to figure it out without help. Smart layout. There are excellent help instructions available online. Desktop software: Easy to move around and find what you need. Love how you can jump to details from relevant screens. Can't get lost, you can always figure your way back from the convenient side bar. Good basic analytics. Edit functions are everywhere, so that's convenient too. Overall, I'm clearly a fan.

Cons:

Mobile auto scan needs improvement. Although the scanning was helpful, it no doubt saved me lots of manual input time. The scanner picked up info, not even my eyes could see! But... 1- Doesn't pick up the name of vendor most of the time. Manual input required. 2- Auto scan AI categorization is clunky. Picks up at the vendor level, so assigns the same category to every item on the receipt, which is unrealistic. Should be at the line item, AI can learn through history and provide an accurate auto scanning feature worth paying for (significant $ upgrade for unlimited auto scans, expect it should scan better!). 3-It would also get data misaligned. The item description aligned to the wrong amount. So I had to fix quite a few mobile receipt scans. 4- Would get confused and pick up the line item description (example: price per unit) and create a new line item. So I have to do some clean-up on that too before submission. 5- Auto scans have a waiting period. So not in real-time. Thats inconvenient, especially since I'm not sure how long it takes. So have to keep checking. Would be good to get a text or something to alert when ready so I don't have to keep checking periodically. 6- Too bad my POS does not integrate with Zoho, only QuickBooks. It would be a huge improvement. 7- Quite a few modules...need to figure all that out. Improved storyline would be better on how it fits together.

Kurtis
VP in US
Automotive, 2-10 Employees

It Just Works!

Comments: I have a mantra, Simplicity, Clarity & Confidence. Zoho Expense is Simple and easy to learn and use. It provides Clarity on how their system works and all the tools which gives me confidence that, that this one area of our business I do not need to spend too much time or worry about it getting the job done.

Pros:

We had previously used Expensify (Ramp) and it worked well I thought until I tried Zoho Expense. It is more user-friendly and consistent in operation. We spend so little time putting together and processing expense reports now that this area of responsibility is an afterthought. I love it because it just works, and it is simple. On top of that Zoho does not send you political emails and social agenda propaganda that you receive through the company formally known as Expensify which is now called Ramp. In business I purchase products and services to do business, I do not purchase your political and social agenda for you to send me when I am purchasing your services. I could not recommend the services of Zoho Expense more...it has been a great decision to move from Expensify (Ramp) to Zoho.

Cons:

At this point, it is hitting all the areas in an easy and effective way.

Cade
Regional Sale Manager in US
Renewables & Environment, 51-200 Employees

Zoho Expense is the uncomplicated winner in this category!

Comments: Overall, my experience with Zoho Expense has been great. I see no reason to switch to any other service. This app offer everything I was looking for and more.

Pros:

I love how simple and focused this app is. I don't need a million options, just something that makes it easy to keep track of and submit expenses. Zoho Expense does all of that an more at a very reasonable price.

Cons:

I think that the only thing that could be improved in this app is the database of merchants in the United States could be more comprehensive. Not a big issue, but maybe something that could be updated.

Kevin
Principal in US

Zoho Expense is the Solution to Your Problem for staying on top of Your Expenses

Comments: Originally, about 2 years ago, I was using QuickBooks for my business and Zoho for CRM, Meetings and other. I did not realize that Zoho offered an Expense product.
I really enjoyed my initial experience with Expense and immediatly migrated my database to Zoho. I was actually taking QuickBooks training sessions (at $85 a pop) with our Austin SCORE branch. Zoho has a very rich knowledgebase of trainging on their entire suite. Zoho has posted dozens of training videos on YouTube of which I have personally viewed around 30 of them I believe. I created a favorites folder and tag the Zoho videos for that reason. I have personally never had to call their support-if there is something I am usure of, the YouTube/Zoho combo solves any questions I may have.

Pros:

All of the basic user GUI tools and features work flawlessly. I have never once had one of those SalesFarce moments where it took me 3 weeks to figure out the issue why new phone could not capture receipt images and other similar experiences that my associates have had. Really, understanding the operation and navigation was suprisingly intuitive. I really enjoy the aethetics; and compared to the bowl of spaghetti GUI with QuickBooks, I have never found myself in a situation where I obligated to seek out and pay for additional training because I was completely lost. The only people critical of Zoho products are those working for cometitors and folks who have never used any of the products.

Cons:

In the past, many products including Expense could be a little light on features and more challenging in large, multi-platform, multi-facility, multi-user implementations. But honestly, think about SalesFarce and another three-dozen or more competitors in that space and find one that is an "everything for everyone" product - they dont exist. Zoho seems to be commited and persistent and building out the feature-set in the entire product suite.

Angel
ELV Presales Engineer in Jordan

A unique system for documenting, following up and auditing expenses accurately

Comments: By utilizing Zoho Expense, we ensure that all expenses are documented correctly and that no receipts are lost. This ensures that approvals are obtained directly and payments are paid on time. With Zoho Expense, we can monitor exchange activities, produce statistics, and spot unneeded or exaggerated spending, ensuring budgets aren't exceeded.

Pros:

I enjoy how easy Zoho Expense is to use and the clarity of all the tools on the fantastic user interface. I particularly like that I can simply scan proof of expenses documents and invoices, and that Zoho Expense dumps data from them immediately and saves a duplicate of the document original. I love how spending are segregated and categorized, taxes and fees are computed separately, all in one report, making audits and approvals quick. The notification system tells you of revisions to your submitted reports or accounting department enquiries, allowing you to respond directly and avoid delays in receiving payments.

Cons:

Overall Zoho Expense is easy to use and doesn't have a lot of dislikes. I only face a problem when loading receipts and unloading data from them, where the user has to make sure that all the data has been recorded correctly, and sometimes we may need to manually modify it before sending, which can result in errors and mismatches between the receipt and the numbers in the reports.

Robb
Corporate Controller in US
Accounting, 51-200 Employees

A very nice product

Comments: Everything has been satisfactory. At times support can be a bit difficult to work with, but people are busy - I get that.

Pros:

It was quite simple to setup the system. I was rushed through the process due to the fact that our old solution was being sunset, but the ease of use helped in the transition. Users found it easy enough to pick up and use without extensive training sessions.

Cons:

It does what we need it to do. The app isn't exactly user friendly for submitting. Good for taking photos of receipts but beyond that not useful.

2 years ago

Hi Robb, Thank you for taking the time to review Zoho Expense and share your feedback. We're glad to hear that it was simple to set up and easy to use. We understand the mobile app isn't easy to use for submitting expense reports and will try enhancing the same. If you have any further feedback or queries, do reach out to us at support[at]zohoexpense[dot]com. Regards, Yohvan - Zoho Expense

Office Manager in Canada
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Very well done application!!

Comments: Reporting for government tax agencies. CRA in Canada is getting very aggressive about checking out the small business expenses and eliminating them. ZOHO provides an easy to see, email ready reporting system to the CRA. We will soon be ready in another area of financial reporting. ZOHO expense has easy receipt capture as well as robust reporting that captures all the areas of receipt information. Very pleased with it.

Pros:

When our company President brought me ZOHO's website link and asked me to look into it, I was impressed with the website and the number of different applications that ZOHO had. Sam wanted me to look into ZOHO expense as a necessary reporting tool that the previous owners had not utilized. I used the chat feature to help me set it up and our Comptroller brought in the feed from the bank credit cards in order to match transactions from our corporate credit cards. Support was great and I was careful to get it set up during the week (support is 24/5) and I learned to use ZOHO Expense over the weekend creating expense reports for the two corporate cardholders using different methods of receipt capture. Both corporate cardholders have different approaches to receipt capture and ZOHO expense makes their choice the best for them. Very well done application!!

Cons:

We did have difficulty with our bank feed and are working that out but support was again very helpful with set up and we should have the correct feed done quite quickly. Sam wants the ability to match receipts and credit card feed to make his life easier and eliminate one more job for our very busy Comptroller.

Sonya
Sonya
Owner in US

Seems to be Just What We Need

Comments: I definitely like Zoho expense better than QuickBooks. I will continue using this product and look forward to streamlining it with my Zoho books, email, and any other programs that we decide to utilize. Seems like a great solution for our small business.

Pros:

I have only used this on a trial basis so far but it's exactly we need - something better than an Excel worksheet and cheaper that QuickBooks. It has allowed us to manage company expenses and I think it will be a great solution once we purchase and integrate it into our systems.

Cons:

Using Zoho can be a little confusing at first - nothing major - but the Zoho email program is asking me to verify my email (required to approve some expenses) - which is a Zoho email - and the way that the systems work together is a little confusing - but I am confident that with a couple of tutorials or if I schedule a session with a Zoho rep to walk me through - that I will get the hang of it and enjoy using this product for our small company.

Steve
Controller in US
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees

Zoho vs competition

Comments: Time savings for our employees and back office !

Pros:

Zoho was a natural choice for companies using Quickbooks. Expenses are easy to download into Quickbooks as a Bill. When it comes time to pay the credit card statement it's all ready to go !

Cons:

It would be nice if you could batch a weeks worth of food per diems into one entry rather than for each day.

11 months ago

Hi Steve, Thank you for reviewing Zoho Expense and sharing your feedback. We're glad to know that you find Zoho Expense to be a natural choice for companies using Quickbooks. We understand you would like it if multiple per diem expenses for different dates could be batched into a single entry. Currently, that would not be possible since a single entry is not possible for multiple dates. Sorry about that. If you have any further queries or suggestions, feel free to reach out to us at support[at]zohoexpense[dot]com. Regards, Yohvan - Zoho Expense

Daniel
Financial Administrator/Treasurer in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

User-Friendly and Intuitive

Comments: Zoho provides us with a good tool for categorizing and approving credit-card and reimbursement transactions.

Pros:

The software has been adopted well by our users, who say that they find it easy to use.

Cons:

The export function creates a file that has formatting that is incompatible with our existing ERP solution. Also, while expenses can be split among multiple categories, they cannot be split among multiple departments and funds.

2 years ago

Hi Daniel, Thank you for taking the time to review Zoho Expense. We're happy to know that you find the application user-friendly and intuitive. With regard to the export function, kindly reach out to us at support[at]zohoexpense[dot]com so we can understand your requirements better and assist you with developing a custom solution if required. Regards, Yohvan - Zoho Expense

Christine
Office Manager in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Zoho Expense saves me time!

Comments: We have saved so much time in our office by putting the work of expense data entry on our employees who are purchasing/buying. Though the system isn't perfect for the way we use the "Items" tab of entering material costs in QuickBooks Desktop (it syncs every expense to the "Expenses" tab), it is still increased efficiency here.

Pros:

We love the autoscan feature! Take a photo of your receipt, and it creates the expense, including Merchant and Cost. Even more, we love the Email Receipt Forwarding feature! No need to print any email receipts or invoices! And the support team at Zoho Expense is fantastic! They respond quickly, work to answer our questions thoroughly, and are committed to resolving any glitches and improving their product.

Cons:

We needed some time to learn how to use Zoho Expense and to tweak it for best processes. We encountered some software glitches, and always received great assistance from the support team. I wish the system recognized variations within Merchant names (eg Smith & Jones is the same as Smith and Jones), instead of having to work around.

last year

Hi Christine, Thank you for taking the time to review Zoho Expense and share your feedback. We're glad to hear how you love the Autoscan capabilities as well as how our team has been able to assist you with the product. I have also passed on your feedback about improving merchant recognition in the application. Feel free to reach out again to us if you ever require any assistance. Regards, Yohvan - Zoho Expxense

Federico
Federico
CFO in Brazil
Banking, 2-10 Employees

Great product for a Small / Medium Business

Comments: My experience, in this solution, is excellent. Zoho Expense provides great value to the operations by helping with the manage and control of expenses.

Pros:

This is a great product which allows you to track expenses in a single view, shows duplicated charges, and its approval settings really help improve the expending culture in the company. In addition, has a Free Plan!

Cons:

The issue, like any solution, depends on its compatibility with other solutions like Quickbooks, but it does have an easy workaround so that would be a minimum problem.

CEO in UK
Retail, 11-50 Employees

Perfect for beginners to advanced users

Comments: I really liked it but the features could work better. For example the invoices look mint and the editor is great but editing line options on the invoice was difficult to find. I thought that when doing each invoice it may be an idea to either show your input into it in real time or allow you to edit the template with your input in real time. I would prefer inputting directly into the invoice template than the system back end.

Pros:

I like the access to various apps that support each other and fully integrate

Cons:

You have to learn a lot of it yourself and it can be time consuming to setup.

Karen
Director of Finance in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Great for documenting, tracking and approving employee corp card charges or reimbursable expenses

Pros:

Zoho Expense is easy to use. It allows receipts to be entered via drag and drop, via email, or by taking a photo in the mobile app. It has optical character recognition to complete expense information. There are both default and customizable fields that can be used for tracking/ coding expenses. User roles include both submitters and approvers and approvers can be assigned to specific submitters.

Cons:

Would be helpful if some of the functionality available by splitting an expense were incorporated into the itemization feature. The itemization feature allows the expense to be coded to different categories of expense but not to a different project or client. To associate an expense to multiple clients or projects, it has to be "split" which really creates 2 separate expenses that are associated with each other. I would prefer the expense still be a single expense just itemized to different clients/ projects.

Kyle
Bookkeeper in US
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees

Zoho Expense has increased productivity, quality, and accuracy for our business

Comments: Our expense reports are easier to analyze and we have been able to put a new travel policy in place thanks to the ease of function and intel it has given our company.

Pros:

The reminders are vital when you are juggling 100's invoices and then additional travel. It helps us evaluate the time spent on traveling and to schedule trips in the most cost-effective manner both for our company and our clients. It provides ease of communication between staff members and allows issues to be resolved quickly. The integration with Quickbooks is an added bonus.

Cons:

I do not currently have any complaints about the software and have had a similarly great experience with a number of Zoho products.