BQE Core Suite Reviews

• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.6 /5

About BQE Core Suite

Integrated project accounting, time & expense, and billing software for architecture firms.

Learn more about BQE Core Suite

Gabriela A.
OFFICE MANAGER
  • Reviewed on 23/03/2021

"The software is very intuitive and quick to learn."

Pros: Easier way to attach documents to expense entries, quick way to overview and process time card summary reports. It has aided with the collection of receipts for all of our field team members. I am very pleased with the Time subscription, and project management subscription. The software is very intuitive and quick to learn.

Cons: A toggle option to select all employees or deselect all employees will help in the report sections. Also, a way to print all attachments at the same time instead of individually in the expense entry section

• Reviewed on 23/03/2021
Kimberly P.
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2020

"We are particularly impressed with CORE’s user-friendly, “all in one” design"

Comments: Our small but rapidly-growing architectural firm was looking for a project management and billing solution. We were particularly impressed with CORE’s user-friendly, “all in one” design.

Pros: It provides us with a single source to record employee time, manage project tasks, budget, invoice and track project performance. We took advantage of the various training packages and technical assistance BQE offers to help us get up-to-speed with CORE in a matter of months. BQE also worked with us to develop a custom invoice that provides our clients with current and past billing information in a clean and easy-to-read format. With the mobile app, our partners access CORE data anytime, anywhere, and can record travel expenses directly from their smartphones. BQE has demonstrated to us that they listen and responds to suggestions on how to make CORE an even better program for its users by providing regular updates and enhancements that incorporate our suggestions. We are very pleased with CORE and BQE.”

Cons: Everything is working for us and if it does not then that is what support is for. Like any other new software implementation there is a learning curve. We took advantage of the various training packages.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2020
Julia V.
Partner
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2016

"Great Time keeping and Billing software for Architects and Engineers"

Comments: We discovered BillQuick on line after struggling with a user friendly way to record, retrieve, report and correct errors in time entries for our Clients. Filling in time sheets accurately is a critical part of our business and billing process. Unintentional errors on time sheets, with time entries logged under incorrect work phases or project scopes are inevitable and our previous billing software only allowed time entries to be moved one at a time, which was done when the WIP was being reviewed. The result was a painful and time consuming process at the end of each moth for our accountant which resulted in delays in getting our invoicing out in a timely manner. With BillQuick, time sheet errors can be moved quickly and easily across data sets in batches. Changing time keeping software can be a stressful decision, often met with resistance from staff. However after carefully researching BillQuick and completing the training session, and seeing the ease and intuitive nature of the time keeping options, I was confident that I would be able to coach staff through the process with ease. The ease of time entries means that fewer staff are delinquent on keeping time sheets up to date. This has numerous benefits, the primary one being being able to bill on time. There are other time allowance features such as limiting time assigned to a team member for a project, and notifying team members in real time when the Fee for a work stage has been exceeds (time entry presents in red). I was a bit skeptical about the claims of vastly reducing invoicing time, but from experience can confirm this is true. This software has enabled us to consistently get billing out within the first 10 days of the month, with invoicing taking a fraction of the time it used to. This enables us to close out each month efficiently, properly monitor quarterly and annual targets, and focus on fixing problems quickly. Ease of monitoring Fee Expenditure also means it is easier to stay out of trouble and address problems as soon as they arise. There are many linked features such as monitoring staff and project profitability which provide solid back up data when assessing bonuses etc.

Pros: It is very easy to learn to use for both staff entering time and new accounts staff.
The ease of time entries means that fewer staff are delinquent on keeping timesheets up to date.
Projects can be broken down into phases - this is KEY for tracking fees within an Architectural Full scope of services.
You create your own Activity Codes which you can align with your preferred Contract
It REALLY does speed up invoicing tremendously
It offers a WIDE range of invoice templates and reports to analyse project Fee expenditure and report to Clients
It allows for various levels of security access so that Senior Staff are not beholden to the Accounts Department when they need to report to a Client or check the Fee against the Contract
All staff can monitor Fee in real time (assuming time sheets are up to date)
Senior Staff can easily monitor and give feedback to staff on performance and productivity, based on various time periods, for example on Billable vs non billable hours, contracted hours performance etc
The technical support is excellent
Integrated with Quick Books very well

Cons: I can't think of anything really....If I had to be critical I would say:
- there are so many reports that you are unlikely to use them all and can get lost in the Report Centre. However there are tabs for your favourites and memorised reports.
- Expenses are very very to enter but not as easy to unwind/change as Time entries

• Reviewed on 24/10/2016
Eury M.
Billing Specialist
Management Consulting
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2016

"My BQE Experience"

Pros: I like that BQE is user friendly and makes it possible for the entire company to enter their own time and expenses anywhere, anytime.
I like that when there are updates to the system, users are informed.
I really like that everything entered through the mobile app sinks right away into BQE.
The technical support customer services is great. Even when someone is not sure of the answer, they research and get back to you. The support group is dedicated, knowledgeable and professional. Lenny is the best.

Cons: I do not like that all reports are Word documents. With data, it is impossible to sort and filter when looking for information.
It would also be easy if questions/answers could be given directly in BQE prior to invoicing instead of having to print each pre-bill and send to managers for approval and then enter their answer back in BQE.
The system allows write up/down of billable hours but you cannot run an accurate report of the amounts that were written up/down (I think in BQE it includes non billable hours). I keep track of mine on an Excel spreadsheet and it would be nice if I did not need to have an additional spreadsheet.
It would make more sense if each field that is populated in all categories could be use for reporting purposes. For example, if running a list of client, it would be good if we could choose what fields we want to see on the report for each client (like contact person, email address, industry...). Sometimes, I have to run three reports to get the information that I compile in one Excel spreadsheet.
Maybe I do not have this information, but the only way to access report customization is via email. It would be nice to have a support line for easy questions regarding a new report.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2016
Alexandra B.
Civil Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/10/2019

"BQE Core Review"

Comments: Since the minute we began to research and consider switching our project management software to BQE Core, we have felt that the team at BQE has been nothing but helpful through the process. The sales team were there to answer questions, suggest videos/webinars to get familiar with Core and to let us know about sales promotions we may be interested in. When we finally made the choice to move to Core, they were excellent at getting us set up with the software and following up on any questions we had. Since implementing Core, we have found that we have much better control over how our projects are managed, we are seeing much better performance data and are very happy with the product.

Pros: We like that there is a lot of control over how we set up our projects and the integration options available through Core. We recently made the switch to this software and find that we are able to track project time, expenses and profitability much easier than with our previous software.

Cons: Because there are so many options and settings it can take a bit of time to get used to finding what you are looking for. Things are taking us a bit longer to manage in this software - however, with more time using it and the training/support options available, we recognize this will only be a temporary issue to using Core.

• Reviewed on 21/10/2019
Dale R.
Owner / Architect
  • Reviewed on 12/04/2017

"Great tool for the Architect's office"

Comments: Overall, this is a good office management tool for the architect. We have used it for the past 10 years and find it invaluable in all we do in managing projects and running the business.

Pros: The product is great for the management of a project from time and expense reports to document management. It also manages the office contacts and calendar of events for all the employees. It will give you in real time if you are making or losing money on a project. It tracks and creates invoicing for all project clients. If you use QuickBooks, it is integrated directly with that software for complete accounting management. It is a great tool for Architects in that it is formatted for what we do (tasks and phasing of projects). If you have internet connection, you can get access to this program while on the road,

Cons: When opening up project file, it takes 2 or 3 clicks to open up a file, such as Word, PDF and AutoCAD. Very, Very frustrating. Many of my employees do not use is function and simply use Window file manager to open and move files. We should not have to do this. It uses Java in the background for some of its operations, and I am not a fan of Java... it is always updating. Updating of the software is somewhat difficult for the person not a computer nerd.

• Reviewed on 12/04/2017
Jaydra P.
President, Investigator
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2018

"Great product! Practical, customizable, and good value for the money."

Comments: This product saves me time and keeps all my cases organized so I never miss important deadlines or follow-up tasks. Well worth the money.

Pros: 1) It has a nice look and it's easy to use because it is organized in an intuitive manner.
2) It is also incredibly customizable. There are so many ways to filter reports and adjust who sees which reports and when, it kind of blows my mind. I have done so many things to customize this software to my firm's needs and I still feel like I've just scratched the surface. This also means it will continue to be useful as my firm grows, which is incredibly valuable.
3) It's a cloud-based software, which means I never have to worry about installing the latest updates. It's also an extra bonus layer of data security because the data is not housed on my local in-office server.
4) Tracking time is easy, and once hours have been billed to the client they are marked in the system (this may seem like a pretty basic feature, but it was surprisingly difficult to find in a case management software).
5) It talks to QuickBooks online, and it's easy to transfer data. It saves a lot of time to transfer invoice and other data from the project management software directly into my accounting system.
6) The customer service and follow-up support is great. I was walked through the initial implementation, which got me up and running almost immediately - very little work time invested in the implementation. After using the software for a few weeks, I scheduled a one-on-one training session with a BQE trainer to get all my firm-specific questions answered which was great.

Cons: My only (minor) complaint is that it does not yet also function as a CRM. I hope they add this feature because I'm looking forward to incorporating that data and function into the same system as my case management.

• Reviewed on 29/12/2018
Louis J.
Quality Control Manager
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"Our experience with BQE Core has been incredibly great!"

Comments: Overall our experience with the product and people supporting it has been incredibly great. All along our journey of selection process and then on-boarding and finally day to day support we need has been a wonderful experience. The easy setup of projects using templates and option to assign bill rates by projects using fee schedules has finally reduced the steps and workload.

Pros: We were struggling with using many software applications to run our business. With Core we everything is in one software from tracking time, expense reporting, billing and project tracking. Our project managers have real-time project progress on a wide variety of reports and the best part is they can customize dashboards to fit their needs. Rest of the management team has easy access to the information using the scheduled reports without even logging into Core. We really love the automation.

Cons: Early on we had a difficult time understanding the vendor bill workflow.

Lori P.
Director of Finances & Administration
Civil Engineering, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2020

"Slowly getting there"

Pros: What we like the most about Core is the way everything is integrated in one application instead of using standalone apps that do not talk to each other. The ease of pulling up the needed date is definitely helpful. I have liked how some of my suggestions to Core ideas have been implemented. If more of these could be fixed and added to the software, the use of the software would be more efficient and effective.

Cons: Although, BQE is working on a payroll module and i have to use a a separate payroll software to process payroll. On projects when you assign a group it doesn't let you assign to all phases and this feature addition would be great.

• Reviewed on 06/02/2020
Mary lou V.
Architecture & Planning
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2016

"This is the best software I have ever used over 38 years!"

Pros: I could never pick one particular item about this product and vendor that I like the best. The complete software package is so versatile, user friendly, and accurate. The vendor service provided is due is beyond compare with any other company I have worked with. Their expertise, promptness and patience any time I've needed assistance directly relates to their mission of taking very good care of me as a customer, ensuring I meet my daily work target. I've been using BillQuick for 6+ years and needed tech support twice. Problem solved within 5 minutes and right back on track!

Cons: There is nothing I dislike at all. Product and vendor has outperformed what I was previously using for the last 30 years.

• Reviewed on 04/08/2016
Teresa P.
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"Everything that is charged to a project can be seen in real-time"

Comments: We have been using BQE since March 2015. Prior to then, we kept all project information in QuickBooks. The staff were not able to see where they were on projects since they did not have access to QuickBooks. Currently everything that is charged to a project can be seen in real-time.

Pros: The ability for each employee to input their time/expenses is one of the features that I like the most. I also appreciate that staff members can check time and expenses for their projects to see where they are on projects with a budget. Invoicing is now streamlined because the information for the project manager's review is on one page. Budget information is on the draft invoice which makes it easy to see when a project is over/under budget, and who has coded time to the project.

Cons: I wish there was a better way of archiving old vendor bills.

by BQE Software on 17/04/2019

Teresa
thanks so much for your review, we are pleased you now have a one-stop shop in real time for your projects! Thanks for being a part of the BQE Family!

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Junaid Q.
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/06/2020

"Core comes with powerful features"

Comments: Here are some of the features that we like the most in Core and these features have made us a better firm: We definitely like; Reports, especially project analysis and performances. The ability to activate / deactivate phases on a project. We have been invoicing out of Core and recently I am appreciating ePayments and stripe integration and project management dashboard.

Pros: After testing many other products in the market when we were deciding to make a switch, I can confidently say Core by far was right at the top of the list. The features and power are so vast that I believe BQE should offer certification courses for Core. We still are in early stages of exploiting all the amazing features of Core, but there is no question as a firm we have become more disciplined in managing client expectation on budget and project performance as a whole. Customer service is great and your ongoing feature videos are the best learning tools.

Cons: We would like to see improvements in Gantt chart area.

• Reviewed on 04/06/2020
Lisa M.
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2020

"BQE keeps all project management and keeping track of accounting records all in one place."

Comments: BQE support is genius. After explaining a situation for a project our firm will be performing in the next month, he was able to assist me with not only the setup but had some suggestions with regard to report filtering to reduce time spent on what I think would have been a monumental and time consuming task. Support team is an asset to your organization.

Pros: All aspects of project management and keeping track of accounting records all in one place. When I began working at RBM, invoices were being generated through excel and snail mailed which took almost a week to complete especially when having to retrieve weekly timesheets. With BQE, this process takes less than 1 day to complete.

Cons: I've encountered issues in the past that have affected prior year's data and researching is extremely time consuming. However, I haven't encountered these issues in the past 2 years - yeah!

• Reviewed on 18/06/2020
Keri Q.
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"We enjoy easy time and expense tracking and billing"

Comments: We looked at many software before picking Core for our office. Overall we are very satisfied with BQE Core. The feature set it offers for the price is definitely a plus. A lot of room for the expansion in using Core.

Pros: It was important for us to get a software for time and expense tracking and invoicing which was simple to use and to the point. With Core we have successfully achieved that which means our staff no longer have to use Excel to keep track of time and expense on the cases. It has saved us time, it keeps the record of our data accurately and we enjoy the insightful reports. Now that our time and expense tracking worries are behind, the billing process to generate invoices is simpler and has resulted in better cash flow.

Cons: There needs to be an improvement in rolling scrolls. Sometime this process slows down.

Cheryl B.
Legal Services
    3.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 08/09/2016

"Try it, you'll love it."

Pros: This software is intuitive and very reliable. It interfaces seamlessly with QuickBooks for a complete accounting experience. In the rare event that I cannot generate a report or do not know how to best accomplish something, I put in a call or e-mail to BillQuick support and receive nearly immediate, courteous and helpful response. If needed, we do a "Go to Meeting" session to get things figured out. I have never been left hanging. It's nice to know there are real knowledgeable people there if I need them.

Cons: I really don't have anything negative to comment, it's that good. It's reliable and robust, a win-win. My only negative, if I had to choose, would be that the sales reps are a bit pushy for my taste. I subscribe to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so when I am "reminded" multiple times that there is a discounted upgrade available, it's a turn-off. That said, I still recommend the product.

• Reviewed on 08/09/2016
Susan W.
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"That it is available online is a big plus for us"

Comments: It works fairly well for our needs.

Pros: After using BillQuick the on premise solution for 11 years we switched to Core and the timing was perfect. We use Core for time and expense entry, project management and project tracking, we are satisfied for what it does. So far most of our employees have transitioned from our old software to Core fairly easily.

Cons: I'd like easier access for at least one other employee to enter vendor bills/expenses. We do not have the Accounting/Billing or Payable package as we don't use either BQ or Core for this purpose yet, but we do track vendor bills and expenses for each project and I'd like a feature that made this accessible not just to the owner/administrator.

• Reviewed on 27/05/2020
Debbie S.
  • Reviewed on 05/10/2020

"BQE program has capabilities beyond what we use"

Comments: Overall experience with BQE in last 2 years of using the product and service has been good. One good thing we experiences is that it is quite user friendly which has helped us learn and self teach on various capabilities. There is a huge improvement the way we run reports in BQE now as compared how we used to. The various ways of applying filters on reports is awesome!

Pros: It has helped us manage project time and expense tracking accurately resulting in better insight into project profitability. The functionality and features of BQE software are beyond what we currently use and as we explore more it is really exciting to see how this software can help us in other areas of our business. We love the reports and other methods that allows us view the information helpful to make important business decisions.

Cons: Sometimes there are glitches in sending emails. it re-generates previous email that does not apply.

• Reviewed on 05/10/2020
Joyce L.
Office Manger
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/10/2016

"CivTech BillQuick Software & Support"

Comments: CivTech decided to implement the software with the current QuickBooks software to improve time entry & add reports. Also to save time during the invoicing and payroll process. During the implementation of the 2 software programs and learning process the BillQuick Representatives, Customer Service along with the custom report process has been a good experience and will be an excellent benefit for our company. I would like to thank my rep and the representatives who have been essential in our company moving forward with understanding and using the BillQuick software.

Pros: The input ability that employees are able to enter their time to the projects for payroll. This software tool is good overall for saving time. In the past the employee entered their time on a spreadsheet and the accounting person reentered their time into the accounting program with QuickBooks. The more we learn about the benefits of BillQuick the more we like the software.

Cons: Taking time out to make the phone call to get the answer to fix a problem that came up. Basically it is part of the learning process which ends up being a good experience because of the knowledge and help that we receive will there is an issue.

• Reviewed on 04/10/2016
Sidney B.
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/08/2020

"Accounting and practice management software on the same platform"

Comments: Overall the experience is good.

Pros: Overall the experience is good, however the accounting module should be improved in order to be more user friendly. Accounting and practice management software on the same platform is a plus as it save a lot of time that otherwise is wasted in switching between multiple software. Our firm uses all the functions of Core; time and expense tracking, billing and accounting.

Cons: We have submitted a few suggestions: 1/ Add the ability to modify a report directly from the preview screen
2/ Add the ability to filter the engagements by Principal in the engagement module

• Reviewed on 12/08/2020
Cindy S.
Principal Engineer
Civil Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/08/2020

"Overall, my experience has been very good."

Comments: Easy to jump right in get things set up and start working. Progressive customization allows for constant improvement of tracking and workflows. There is a LOT of bang for your buck here.

Pros: It has taken a bit to learn how to navigate the help blogs and menus so that I get to the information I need. The search for these could be improved. I love the “real time” time and expense additions so that I can bill time and then invoice in the very next step. Invoicing quickly has helped me get my new business off the ground and some cash flow coming in. Color coding of the status on jobs is a wonderful addition and makes a quick glance to get info very easy. I’m getting better with the accounting side of things, and am still learning. BQE Core is doing what I need it to do to track jobs and invoicing. I feel it can grow along with my business.

Cons: It has taken a bit to learn how to navigate the help blogs and menus so that I get to the information I need. The search for these could be improved. Similar experience of learning how the invoicing adds various fields and to get a format that I like. Normal learning curves.

• Reviewed on 25/08/2020
Cyndee P.
Administrative Accounting
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2016

"Excellent software/excellent service"

Pros: The product is excellent and easy to understand. The support is truly the best I have ever encountered for a software vendor. The support staff has extended hours by phone, and frequently participates in the user's forum so you may have a question answered in the very late or wee hours of the morning. They are responsive and supportive in our efforts to make this program work for our company. We use Quickbooks accounting and Intuit payroll. The integration between Quickbooks and BillQuick has worked well thanks to the excellent help we received in the program setup from our assigned trainer.

Cons: Would very much like to have more sorting capabilities in filtered reports. Other than that, I have nothing negative to say about this vendor.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2016
Brett A.
Principal Engineer/Owner
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2017

"Engineer Office Review"

Comments: We have been utilizing Engineer Office since 2011 for a Civil Engineering and Survey firm. We have been happy with the refinements that BQE has put into place throughout the years to make it functional. We utilize it mostly as a timekeeping and billing complement to Quickbooks. In the last few years, we have successfully cut our time for billing down by implementing best management practices on entering data. Billing used to take a week from the closing date and now it only takes a day or two at the most. Overall the project management when it comes to billing is what we need to operate our business efficiently.

Pros: The billing functions on this product are very efficient when setting up correctly. The ability to have multiple fixed fee and time and expense items on an invoice is very useful.

Cons: The connection to QuickBooks can be somewhat difficult and inconsistent at times. It is best when you start fresh and have someone that understands the system. Beginners can make a mess of things if they don't understand the system.

• Reviewed on 06/02/2017
Edward R.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2017

"Great billing software"

Comments: Highly recommended product.

Pros: As a structural engineering consulting practice with numerous projects and clients, the software answers our needs with wonderful organization and flexibility in setting up projects and invoicing. Numerous invoicing templates allow us to satisfy our clients billing requirements to a "T". Technical support is responsive and knowledgeable on all facets of the program.

Cons: The biggest asset, deep flexibility and customization, can take some real time to master. Fortunately, though, technical support is there to take you by the hand and show you how to accomplish what you need to do.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2017
Brandon D.
Principal
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/11/2017

"Love BQE"

Comments: Love it and definitely worth a try!

Pros: We love BQE and cannot imagine running our business without BillQuick. Last year we switched to subscription and it's great to see new features that are getting added. We enjoy unlimited support.

Cons: We have been using BQE product for 10 years and it definitely is improving every year and we cannot think of anything that it does not do for us

• Reviewed on 14/11/2017
Bruce E.
Principal Architect
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2020

"We now a good grasp on Core"

Comments: We like the results we are seeing.

Pros: We use BQE Core primarily for time input, billing and AR. WE now have a good grasp on how the program works so each time we use it it has become easier. It has helped us streamline our invoicing and AR process. I particularly like being able to scan and post copies of received checks to an invoice.

Cons: It took a while to figure out how to input information in the correct way so it appeared correctly on our invoices. Our initial training barely touched on this.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2020