Rain POS Reviews

by Rain Retail Software

• Overall

About Rain POS

Enter information once and your POS, website, and mobile site update in real time. Unlimited registers, products, and customer service.

Learn more about Rain POS

Travis T.
Music, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2020

"Excellent for Music Stores!"

Comments: Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great. One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros: We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons: One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

• Reviewed on 19/12/2020
Vince P.
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2015

"Best Cloud Based POS System"

Comments: Rain Retail's cloud based system is awesome. We used it for our water sport retail shop in Northern California. Easy to use, powerful, lots of good features to make life for us much easier than our previous 2 POS systems. We really love the website and inventory integration. Our website and on-line store is awesome and easy to manage. All of our staff loved the ease... Their customer support is incredible. You actually talk to a real person in Utah! They are customer driven and are adding and enhancing features constantly. Keep up the good work, Rain.

by Rain Retail Software on 25/06/2015

Thanks for the great review, Vince! It's a pleasure to work with you!

• Reviewed on 25/06/2015
Lawrence A.
Business Center Manager
Retail, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2019

"Awesome Features"

Pros: I love most about Rain aside from it's features is how helpful and accommodating their customer service representatives are.

Cons: I just experienced minor bugs on the system but their customer service resolves the issue quickly. It was a good experience overall.

• Reviewed on 29/01/2019
Mary T.
Marketing
  • Reviewed on 11/07/2020

"Nice software"

Comments: Very positive, I'd like to make a special shout out to their very responsive support team. They take the time to call you, make video recordings, etc. to help you out.

Pros: Once you review a few basic training videos or articles, this is super simple to use and pretty self explanatory.

Cons: For certain modules, the customization capabilities aren't the best. You have to be creative and do a lot of workarounds sometimes.

• Reviewed on 11/07/2020
Patricia M.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2020

"Like Sew Software"

Comments: In the beginning support was good and they really seem to care about helping your business grow. Now they want to add stuff that I don't need and keep raising the price

Pros: I originally like the fact that the POS interacted with the suppliers . Made it easy to load inventory into the system. Now they are raising the cost so much it really does not pay for itself.

Cons: The cost is high for a same business to use.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2020
Jen R.

"So Happy"

Comments: I adore this system and tell everyone about it

Pros: It is super intuitive and easy to work with. I can start a new volunteer in the shop with very little training and they just get it.

Cons: Sometimes I wish I could enter new products easier when I'm filling out a PO. I feel like I have to save a draft and go back to products a lot

Jed S.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/12/2018

"Worst POS ever?"

Comments: I’ve been suffering through the Rainbow pOS for the past three years. Hands down the worst POS I’ve ever encountered. Only reason we haven’t changed is the hassle of doing so. Once you become a Rain user you’ll have access to a feature that helps to recommend what features you’d like to see. This is probably the best feature only because I can see how every other user of Rain is as frustrated as I am. They keep saying they are making improvements but nothing ever changes.

Pros: Rain is cloud based software.
It’s pretty inexpensive compared to others
Works on any computer with internet.

Cons: Reporting is lacking
Have to click three buttons to print a receipt
Glitchy and buggy
Inability to remove items from orders that don’t ship complete
Customer service is lacking

• Reviewed on 08/12/2018
Janice N.
  • Reviewed on 01/06/2018

"Since the initial set up very good."

Comments: We just finished entering all of our stock so now it should make my life easier, the book work is done, customer base takes care of itself.

Pros: The multiple features from entering a person once. I love how everything meshes with the other parts when it comes to inventory and people. Makes my life so much easier.

Cons: I was not really happy with my start up experience, the first person would say to watch this video, watch that video, I'm more of a hands on, show me once and I've got it, kind of person.

• Reviewed on 01/06/2018
Shawn Y.
Owner and designer
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2018

"Happy, but I need just a bit more"

Comments: Happy, just keep the costs down. Remember we are not selling iPhones or over-priced clothes. The wholesale cost of fabric is inching up there with shipping.I have to sell a lot of fabric just to cover my costs to you.

Pros: Easy to use for the most part, I can talk to an actual person on the phone and they don't have a made up English name.

Cons: I need to put Categories on sale without the whole site on sale or going to each individual item in that category like I have to do now.
I want to upload my own pretty newsletter and not have it get distorted. Using the newsletter feature on the site is boring.

Wanda M.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/05/2021

"Rain Retail"

Comments: It has been fabulous!

Pros: It is easy to learn and us, but mostly the fact that I have such great support!

Cons: We have really had no problems to speak of, all our questions are easily answered.

• Reviewed on 04/05/2021
Jonathan S.
Music, 2-10 Employees

"RAIN Review"

Comments: Generally Positive. Going into a year of use, we are running up against some feature and programming weaknesses, particularly on the accounting side.

Pros: Interface, ease of use

Cons: It is not as strong on accounting as I would like. There are errors propagated through voided transactions which inaccurately influence the reports and sometimes even customer balances.

Louise F.
Co-Owner
Maritime, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2020

"Rain Software"

Comments: I have had a very good experience with Rain Point of Sale.

Pros: This product is very user friendly and makes it possible to change or add things with ease. Customer service is always friendly and helpful.

Cons: The word processor can be a problem when trying to change font sizes.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2020
Sissy H.
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2019

"Disappointing compared to the hype of what you are getting."

Comments: We have a hard time getting on the same page. The communication is mostly by email and the timing is hard because we are so far apart. The support people are very kind and try to get things done but the day to day trying to muddle through this change was not worth it, if I could get my money back I would. I am currently paying Lightspeed just not to loose my past sales and lay-a-ways until someone can merge them, this is costly for a small business. I also wish they would talk to whoever answers the phone as I can't just sit on top of the phone all day waiting for a call, this could have been fixed if they would have just talked to the person answering the phone. There are only three people who work here and all three of us are capable of following direction.

Pros: So far the only Pro is that you can pull a some information from Vendors. Being able to have inventory taken out with sales from Reverb is really nice, it was the catch hook that brought me to RAIN.

Cons: The merge is really rough, I did not get all of my customers merged from my previous POS system, my lay-a-ways were lost or messed up, past sales are lost, pictures had to be taken again. All the upc numbers were mismatched with other products. When you try to put pictures of your product for the website, you never know what picture it may choose no matter how many times you choose the correct one. I have had a bass I have tried many times to add a picture and it refused to add it and puts up a picture of a gig bag. I was told if I used Chrome many of the issues would subside, sadly this is not true. If you are starting out fresh, this may be an okay system to use, if you are migrating from another system, I would NOT recommend using RAIN. I really had high hopes but this has been a disaster. Even the work orders, which I thought would be easier, are a huge pain.

• Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Kathleen M.
owner/artist
  • Reviewed on 01/07/2021

"Rain's Products and Customer Service"

Comments: I had a website in the past that the point of sale disconnected two maybe 3 times each week. It was a nigtmare.

Pros: What I like best about Rain's website software is how easy it was/is for me to learn.

Cons: I like the extra things I get for my website with the marketing package, but most of what the package does for me has not worked and they keep trying to make it work and it does not.

• Reviewed on 01/07/2021
Dj E.
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2021

"Vendor to Point of Sale"

Comments: Overall I am really happy we chose to use Rain POS and build a website. It keeps track of my customer's history of purchases and makes returns simple.

Pros: I love that Checker Distribution & United Notions are integrated with Rain Retail. Also, Brewer and others. That made it so much easier for me to build a website around my retail business.

Cons: I have had issues with items and categories being duplicated.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2021
Dagmar M.
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2020

"Rain POS / Like Sew Website Review"

Comments: I really benefit from the synced inventory. Overall, my experience with the POS and customer service has been positive.

Pros: It manages the inventory in real time between store and online purchases. Now that I have learned how to manage the website, it is easy to frequently change the home page, add new inventory and create promotions. The inventory catalog is a major time saver.

Cons: There are some surprising disconnects: although a customer is set up with 10% discount, the discount will only apply automatically when purchasing in the store. Somehow the store customer and the (same) web customer are not connected. Lack of integration with shipping companies. Cumbersome uploads to QuickBooks.

• Reviewed on 30/01/2020
Daniel P.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2017

"Pinewski's Ski & Board Shop"

Comments: We have been with rain for several years now and have been very happy with the ease of use of our POS system. The professional handling of all our questions and needs, and their customer service, has been second to none. We are continually learning as Rain continues to improve the functionality of their program. We would rate Rain as a top notch program.

Pros: simple to use, but yet has the ability to fulfill all our POS needs.

Cons: the inability to make corrections to mistakes without contacting Rain i.e. reversing voids, having voided sales show up on my daily sales reports, and the customer history shot;ld show open sales and or on account sales as a different color or as an open sale rather than completed sale.

• Reviewed on 16/02/2017
Sherry M.
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Calico Cupboard"

Pros: I was using another online web service when I heard about Rain (Like Sew). I like what they were offering and the price was great compared to what I was paying. We signed up in 2013/14 and have not regretted it for a minute. I love being able to see what inventory we have, what our customers are buying, being to look back and tell a customer what a fabric was that they purchased.

Cons: There are always features and issues that could be improved upon but right now I'm happy with what we have.

• Reviewed on 16/12/2020
Todd K.
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2017

"User friendly POS/Website for a small business."

Comments: Rain POS has allowed me to present the entire inventory of my retail shop available online. When photos for my items are not available from vendors, I snap a few with my iphone and they are uploaded in seconds.
I am not a computer tech by any means, but have found making changes to my site an easy task. When in doubt I find one of the helpful webinars and by he end of the viewing I am comfortable tackling the next task.
Customer service has been prompt and thorough. I have not had to call often, but when I do the matter is resolved within minutes. This is a plus as I typically operate my shop alone.
Recently I realized that I was not utilizing the SEO portion of Rain to it's fullest potential. My google placement was lagging back on pages 4 to 7. I spent 3 hours watching a webinar provided by Rain and spent a few weeks plucking away at my site. I am happy to say that 60 days later I am appearing on the first page of searches I deem important. One again I was able to accomplish this utilizing tools provided by Rain, not by paying an outside SEO company for this service.
Overall I am extremely happy with Rain and have recommended it to several other business in my area.

Pros: Ease of use even for a person not formally trained in computer technology.

Cons: Just a few small glitches here and there, but they continue to make improvements and they are quickly resolved.

Jeremy C.
Owner, COO
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2017

"The POS system that I was looking for."

Comments: I'm the owner of the NAMM 2015 & 2016 Top 100 Dealer, The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO. We tried the "big guy" of our industry, and found it to be outdated and not user friendly. After a year of attempting to get it up and running, we started looking for an alternative when we ran across RAIN POS. It feels like navigating a website through your browser so it was easy to learn. Within a little over one month we had our website built, products in our system, and were live with running transactions. I love that everything in in the cloud, so I can run sales in my parking lot, at festivals, trade shows, etc., or just access reports anywhere from my phone. Putting items on our website is just a button clicked, and inventory is shared online and locally so if I sell online, it's taken out of stock in my local system, and vise versa. So far customer support has been great to work with. We have run across a few minor bugs in the day to day use, but they are pretty quick at getting it straightened out. I'm sure it doesn't have all the depth of that other system, but I'm able to use it and they are adding features very quickly. We don't do rentals right now, so I can't say how well that part works. We do a lot of repairs, some sent off site, and the work order module works great for keeping up to date with the repair status. We're waiting on the Lessons module that we here is in the works, and a better way to handle consignments and trades. So far we are very happy with RAIN POS and our interactions with customer support. I highly recommend.

Pros: Ease of use, and integration with our e-commerce site.

Cons: There are a few features that I'm waiting on that will tailor the system more for the music industry.

Brenda A.
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2021

"Building my RAIN site"

Comments: I really LOVED the RAIN POS system. Unfortunately, my business went thru some major changes in 2019 leading up to 2020, so I had to disengage it from my site. If you are doing enough daily sales in a brick & mortar store, or even in a traveling store situation, it's a GREAT addition to your website. For me cost/value ratio wasn't efffective anymore.

Pros: I loved the fact that setting up a whole new website platform was done with another human on the other end of the telephone that actually cared, listened and created a useable website for my customers. Step-by-step instruction helped me, an average end user, be able to manage a highly professional looking website. The integration of product sku codes, inventory, customer tracking, re-order points, everything was top notch and an added value for the cost.

Cons: I would like to be able to take custom orders, invoice the customer, and have the customer be able to make payments/purchases with that option. The PayPal platform fills this gap for me, but I would prefer to use the RAIN payment system as it is more cost effective.

• Reviewed on 17/03/2021
James D.
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2018

"Really awesome features with some minor bugs"

Comments: Tech support has helped us so many times. First, they helped us figure out some of the features that we were not completely certain how to use. Then, when we encountered bugs, another quick call to Support and they had us back up and running within no time. I just wish that the program was not dependent on the internet. We’ve had a few times where the internet went out and we were not able to conduct business. This is not good, but it hasn’t happened too often, just enough to be mildly irritating.

Pros: This program is so easy to use, even for those who are not technologically literate. While we do not use all of the features, such as the rental option, we are really happy with the program. The fact that everything is stored in the cloud helps us when we are not in the store, such as with trunk shows. The tech support has been so helpful when we experienced bugs in the software, and they were very knowledgeable of the product. I have also found the SEO option of Rain, and we intend to utilize it to its fullest extent to promote our business and get our name out there.

Cons: There have been a few bugs in the software, but nothing that a quick call to support couldn’t fix. One thing that I did not like was when the internet went out. The fact that everything was based on the internet meant that we couldn’t use the cash register. This led to a loss of sales. Nothing too major, but it’s still significant. There should be a backup or a way to use the register when there is no internet connection. More traditional POS systems allow for use without internet, but for inventory reasons, something like Rain is required. Hopefully, they’ll release a version that stores a temporary backup on your system that updates the inventory once the internet is back up and running.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2018
Reeze H.
CEO/Designer
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2018

"Like-Sew websites have helped me build my online presence and streamline my business."

Comments: It was easy to use

Pros: It is easy to use and update, so I can create and modify my own products, and add products from the integrated industry catalogs. It provides me with useful information about my customers and sales transactions, data which really helps me keep and attract new customers. I especially like the batch product update feature so I can change a group of products at a time without having to individually update each product record. I have had good customer service, especially when there was a problem with the software. I have seen my sales grow and my professional online image enhanced. The cost is reasonable for my business so far. The video training is great and absolutely necessary to understand how to use the software efficiently. I also attended training at Fall Quilt Market which was excellent and highly informative.

Cons: I am disappointed that I am unable to integrate my email marketing with the website. In my opinion, The Marketing package is not as useful to online-only stores as it is to POS customers. The newsletter module is clunky and hard to work with. The email feature is useful, but since my email list is on a different service and not integrated, it is not as useful as it could be. It took awhile for my site to get up and running well, and to work out all the bugs. I had to be persistent in following up to get problems fixed and clear in my communication to be sure they understood what I was asking for.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2018
Max L.
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2020

"Great for a music shop like us. Room for improvement but they're working on it"

Comments: Anyone who has migrated from one system to another knows how time-intensive and frustrating the whole process can be. RAIN's support team made the onboarding experience as painless as possible. Their support has continued long after the initial onboarding and I feel very confident in their ability to help us whenever we hit a roadblock and need help. It's also encouraging to see their development team constantly fixing bugs and rolling out new features. They are not the kind of company to rest on their laurels.

Pros: RAIN lives in the cloud and being able to access our POS from any device is a huge advantage over the POSs we were using before. The Rent-To-Own module helped simplify a very important part of our business. Integrating with REVERB has helped extend our e-commerce reach across the country. The user interface is clean and user-friendly; just what you'd expect from a modern cloud-based platform.

Cons: The marketing platform did not meet our expectations. The email marketing in particular is not up to what I would consider industry standard in terms of the template builder, contact management, scheduled emails, segmented lists, and analytics. We have since dropped that add-on and went with ActiveCampaign which is light years ahead.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2020
Mary virginia N.
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2020

"Love this system!"

Comments: I can get the reports I need and want. Tech support is wonderful. They are constantly updating and improving the software.

Pros: Product is very easy to use. It's nice that I can put items on my website right from the product page. Web page is easy to edit.

Cons: I wish there were more yarn and knitting notions vendors integrated into the system.

• Reviewed on 17/12/2020