15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Zoho Books

Simple, easy-to-use accounting software to help you manage your business finance in a smart way!

Learn more about Zoho Books

Pros:

Incredibly good value for the price (way cheaper than Freshbooks/Quickbooks). Integrates well with the rest of the Zoho suite.

Zoho Books ratings

4.3
4.2
4.2
4.4

8.3/10

Zoho Books has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 628 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Zoho Books before?

Caroline
Caroline
Bachelor in Supply Chain Management in US
Consumer Goods, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Organized and improved accounting

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: perfect to have a compliance with the company's accounting without overlooking something, it is really easy to use and it improved my progress at work

Pros:

Zoho Books has allowed us to improve in the accounting area, having a perfect administration of expenses, accounts, invoices, payments and other tasks to be carried out, it manages a magnificent online accounting function, keeping all the payment reports up to date without forgetting invoices or payments to make, it is a very complete platform with its tools.

Cons:

In my personal opinion, it is a perfect platform that there is nothing to improve or change.

Darren
Director in UK
Import & Export, 2–10 Employees

Powerful and Invaluable tool at an incredible price

Comments: We love Zoho ability to access from anywhere and allows a business owner to monitor things even when they are not on site. The ease of use and consistency makes it very easy for training purposes and day to day use.

Pros:

We love the way you can add further modules and expand into other areas like inventory with ease. The support is fast and efficient with a positive outcome every time. The consistency through every module bill s, invoicing, purchasing makes it a breeze to operate.

Cons:

The only one annoyance is the search from some screens you need to know the exact customer name or item name to search. Where as some screens use a keyword search which is easy and fast to locate the information.

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: Lack on consistency with previous product and even doing the slightest thing seemed over complicated.

Switched From: PowerQuote

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: With the ability to integrate other modules was vital to us. The product had more vital features like re occurring invoices and billing. Stock control was important and a lot of other products don't have this ability alongside things like project managment.

Solomon
Project manager in US
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Emperor and Eminent Financial Tool for our Company.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

The tool send us financial reports and profit as well as loss forms on time. It has the best interface to use for our accounting processes. The most amazing customer service is served to us. Very fast and quick in invoice processing.

Cons:

It has delivered to our expectations and it has never disappointed.

Belal
CA in India
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Pathetic customer service

1.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Worst customer services there is no proper reply or information

Pros:

Product is ok but customer service is pathetic

Cons:

The customer service is pathetic, we are running a CA firm and have almost 20 Zoho books subscription and login and one of the login as was asking an OTP we were not getting because the [sensitive content hidden] is travelling and OTP is going to only mobile number not to email hence raised the ticket and the team keep saying that the accounts team is working but we did not receive any resolution they wasted a whole day and did not resolve this. the ticket ID is [sensitive content hidden].

Phillip
President in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2–10 Employees

Great Software

Comments: I really enjoyed this software. It is must easier to use than most of its competitors. It is also having some of the best pricing vs performance that I have found.

Pros:

Zoho was very easy software to setup for someone who does not have a lot of experience. We used this software to mostly to track estimates. When estimates were approved and accepted by the customer it was simple to turn them into invoices.

Cons:

Once you add certain items into the system they cannot be deleted. For example, if you accidently add a wrong item you will have to cancel it out on the books with another entry.

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: Price and availability. It was simple enough that we could use what we needed in the program.

Switched From: Sage 50cloud Accounting and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: The price and overall feel of the product.

William
Manager in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Support

Comments: NO Support

Pros:

It is easy to setup and start using it. I loved it a lot but their support SUCKS

Cons:

Their support sucks you go back in forth with someone that doesn't know about accounting.. So I am just going to find something else can consider all the work I have done in my account as a loss....

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: It seemed easier for what I needed

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: I am going back to QuickBooks what support they have is better than Zoho Books

Barry
CEO in Canada
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Zoho Books - Baac Office

5.0 last month New

Pros:

It's much better than QuickBooks Online and much less costly as part of Zoho One

Cons:

Can't think of many cons, as it works so well

Andrei
Branch Manager in UK
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Book keeping done wright

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I really like Zoho Books, the design is nice and intuitive. I learned to use it very fast. Support was great when needed.

Pros:

Zoho Books is an exceptional accounting service, it offers a free version for small business but paid version too. Works great with bank reconciliation and is packed of good features that you found only on expensive software. Getting reports like P&L is easy and the reports looks good. Integrates good with other Zoho apps if you are using them.

Cons:

No cons for Zoho Books, the software works good.

Tanveer
Human Resource Manager in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Zoho Books: An Online Accounting Solution that Meets Our Needs

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

I like the exceptional features of Zoho Books. Zoho Books meets our needs because it has been a reliable online accounting software.

Cons:

Zoho Books is reliable and flawless. I do not dislike Zoho Books at all.

Celina
Accounting in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

A Smooth Business Accounting Software

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

It handles payment processing well and has tons of business accounting features.

Cons:

No particular flaws with Zoho Books. Has been amazing.

Anne
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

All the functionality of QuickBooks - and more - at a much better price

Comments: Zoho Books has everything I need to keep my books in order, bill my clients, and track my time and expenditures. I've been very happy with this product.

Pros:

Zoho Books does everything that QuickBooks does in a much more intuitive interface. It provides a ton of flexibility in looking at things from both accrual and cash methods, offers a free seat for my accountant, and allows me to track my time and bring it directly into my invoices. The ability to take pics of receipts and enter expenses directly from my phone app is great, too.

Cons:

I wish that other software providers would wake up and realize that QB isn't the only game in town. Make it easier to integrate with Zoho, please! I've had some trouble syncing with my bank in the past and it took a while for customer service to understand what was really going on - there are some language barriers. But their CS agents do seem to try to help.

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Online, Wave and Fiverr Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: Wave only allows for accrual-based accounting, which is severely limiting. Wave also makes some odd duplicate transactions when you're entering transfers and line items for invoices.

Switched From: Wave

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: Zoho books has everything QuickBooks has at a much lower price. And Wave and And.co had too many limitations.

Eric
Attorney in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Great Product For Those Who Know Accounting

Comments: My overall experience with Zoho Book was positive. I switched from Zoho Books to Bill4Time because I wanted a program that would keep track of time and expenses for hourly clients, track contingency fee clients, provide trust accounting, and generate invoices. Zoho Books would be able to do all of those tasks with the exception of contingency fee tracking. There was no easy way in Zoho to keep track of projects that were not hourly, flat, or on a set budget. That said, the Zoho family of products are solid, so if you have need for an accounting product and you are familiar with accounting software, this product would be a great choice.

Pros:

I liked best the many features that Zoho Books provides. In terms of accounting software, this product does just about everything. I also liked being part of the Zoho suite of products, all of which are quite good. The product is stable, and the company offers solid tech support.

Cons:

I purchased Zoho Books to use in my small business after using Zoho Invoice. I wanted a product that would do more than just invoice clients, such as track projects and accounting. However, I am not an accountant. The thing I liked least about Zoho Books is that, if you are not familiar with accounting, the product may seem unnecessarily complicated. There is definitely a learning curve with this product that I have not experienced with other Zoho products.

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: Zoho Invoice was excellent at invoicing and tracking client expenses. However, I wanted a product that did more than those two things.

Switched From: Zoho Invoice

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: I was already familiar with Zoho through the use of Zoho Writer and Zoho Invoice. It was easier to simply switch to Zoho Books, which had a familiar and pleasing user interface. Also, Zoho Books was a better buy for the money.

Jordan
CEO in US
E-Learning, Self Employed

Great QuickBooks competitor with additional features to boot

Pros:

I am a big fan of Zoho Books. For the same price of a QuickBooks subscription, I was able to purchase a license to Zoho One, which comes with dozens of other valuable apps (Zoho Forms, Zoho CRM, Zoho Survey, Zoho Social, Zoho Marketing Automation, Zoho Analytics, Zoho Sign, Zoho Meeting, Zoho Desk, Zoho Projects, Zoho Expenses, Zoho Recruit, Zoho Flow). I did the math recently, and figured out that if I were to buy each of the Zoho applications I use from an equivalent competitor, I would be spending $600 more than the cost of a Zoho One subscription each month. For Zoho Books in particular, it has all of the features I used in QuickBooks, plus easy-to-use workflow automations and integrations with the rest of the Zoho One suite. It's very helpful to be able to cross-reference Zoho Books data within their CRM for example. Overall, I highly recommend Zoho Books, but encourage you to purchase the full Zoho One suite rather than Books as a standalone application.

Cons:

I wish they had a few more payment processors available.

Alternatives Considered: FreshBooks, Wave and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: For the same price as QuickBooks, I was able to get the full Zoho One Suite.

Switched From: QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: Integration with Zoho One.

Aninda
Chief Solution Architect in Bangladesh
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Good Billing Application

Comments: It was awesome to use Zoho books, it improved our operational efficiency and was very easy to use.

Pros:

This is an efficient and affordable billing application. Serves all the basic needs and is capable of handling large data sets.

Cons:

Customer or Product Support seriously needs to improve. Every customer needs a modification as per their business requirements and Zoho shall cater those changes actively.

Alternatives Considered: Kashoo and NetSuite

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: Freshbooks was very basic back then and had very limited set of features.

Switched From: FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: Zoho Books had local support team, which is why we put our trust on them.

Rob
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

RUN do not walk way from this product!

Comments: I would rather deal with the IRS, Comcast and AT&T all at once than this company.

Pros:

Zoho has been a constant and ongoing headache since switching 3 years ago. Since then it has been an ongoing everyday headache. Support simply does not exist with this company. Support articles are 10 years old and do reflect the current software.

Cons:

Support! This company DOES NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT. Whoever answers chats simply wastes your times and never ever helps.

James
Consultant in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Great for a small business

Comments: We moved from an ancient copy of Billings (a Mac-only program), and chose Zoho over the main competition based on ease of use and the need to handle customer retainers smoothly.

Pros:

The setup is fairly straightforward, and the learning curve is very manageable. It's really nice to have a good (and reasonable) set of defaults for categories and account structure. That made initial use and customization pretty easy to do. The documentation is generally good, and tip links are numerous.

Cons:

The only thing I find even slightly annoying is that the feed connection to the bank account is often "broken", but on the positive side the status is clear and whatever issues exist seem to fix themselves automatically within a day or two. It's not really a show-stopper; it's just annoying when I want to "clean up" things and the bank feed isn't fully current.

Alternatives Considered: QuickBooks Online and Wave

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: The previous product had been discontinued.

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: Zoho was less expensive than QuickBooks, and seemed to be more approachable. Wave didn't handle retainers as well (at least at that time).

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Has the potential, but not the backup

Comments: Absolutely terrible. If not for the terrible support, this product would actually be quite good. But for anyone who is new to any system, there's always questions and help needed. That's the nature of IT. And unfortunately Zoho have completely missed the mark and don't appear to care about improving on that at all.

Pros:

The software is extensive and seems easy enough to use. Supports advanced accounting functionality and would be a good solution for any small business.

Cons:

The customer service is absolutely appalling. In fact, it's not even fair to call it customer service because it's more like communicating with the abyss. No matter how many times you call or email, no one follows up - and if they do it's certainly not in a timely manner. They call you at ridiculous times and then email to say they called and to call them back. You call them back and no one is available. You leave a message for the agent to call you back and no one does.

Theresa
CEO in South Africa
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

Migrated from Wave to Zoho Books. Horrible experience

Comments: Precious time wasted. After reading their manuals, watching their videos, Googling answers, I finally had a one-on-one training session with a trainer who advised me to employ the services of a Zoho-experienced accountant in South Africa. We had thought that because of Wave Accounting's recommendation, that Zoho Books would be similarly user-friendly and intuitive. It is not at all.

Pros:

They seem to have an impressive array of apparently useful functions.

Cons:

This is the most non-intuitive, difficult, cumbersome, obscure programme I have ever worked with. Example: even in deleting our account after wasting hours trying to become functional, the instructions seemed to be clear: Log in to your account. Click the user picture. Click My Account. In the account page, select the Preferences tab. Click Close Account in the left menu. Except THERE IS NO PREFERENCES TAB IN THE LEFT MENU. They forgot to tell you to click on Settings first, and THEN select Preferences. A perfect example of what to expect from the entire platform.

Derek
CEO in South Africa
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Zoho books - my best friend!

Comments: With Zoho we are able to easily stay on top of our finances with limited effort required. The ability to correct historical errors easily makes maintaining and accurate general ledger a breeze. I really like the professional look and feel of the documents generated such as invoices, orders etc.

Pros:

With unparalleled customisation and ease of use as well as the the ability to correct previous errors Zoho books has made the accounting function so much simpler than our previous software. The automation of numerous tasks has been especially useful. The professional way in which we are able to engage with our customers and suppliers has also raised our credibility.

Cons:

Probably the only criticism I can raise is that the reporting section could offer more month by month reports as a standard feature, although they may be easily configured using the tool provided.

Alternatives Considered: Xero

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books: Based on an old database structure which was inflexible.

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books: The value proposition of Zoho One with the multiply module functionality was very compelling and the Books module was able to more than cater for our small business requirements.

Becky
Becky
Software Developer in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

We can track all invoices with Zoho books

Comments: In terms of billing, invoicing, tracking payments, and maintaining an accurate inventory count, I can confidently say that this experience has been nothing short of remarkable thus far.

Pros:

Having 2nd factor authentication and many ways to retrieve transactions, as well as everything else you would need to keep your business functioning, are two features I particularly appreciate.

Cons:

This is the trickiest part because I can't really think of anything I dislike; however, I do have some comment on the quality of customer support and the requirement of an internet connection.

Amy
CFO in US
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

We Use Zoho Books for Multiple Companies

Comments: ZOHO books has been a great tool for many of our companies. It is great for companies with project management, from estimate to sales order to purchase orders and Invoicing. ZOHO provides live reporting as your team takes the order through the sales process. Customization for our specific business was a huge game changer, as we didn't need to get outside help involved to make simple changes that made our work flow process better. It saves time and errors.

Pros:

The live dashboard and analytics has provided great insight into our business profitability. The ability to have our project management and accounting systems tied into one saves on time and human error. The automation, workflows and custom fields are a game changer and allow any kind of person to be able to tailor the system to your needs. Whenever I am not able to code something myself, I send a request to the customer service team, and they are usually able to write the scripts for me. The ability to tie into Avalara and not have to worry about taxation is also a huge bonus.

Cons:

I wish the Purchase Orders for drop ship customers were more obviously tied to the Sales Orders. There are ways to identify which POs belong to which SOs, but seems to be a little more complicated than it could be. I also wish there was a way to see how much we have invoiced against Customer POs. I also wish we could integrate our payroll with ZOHO, as ZOHO payroll isn't currently offered in Michigan. As a result we are having to do more manual entry for employee hours and journal entries for the payroll.

Rebecca
Individual & Family Services, Self Employed

Over 50, not an accountant & never aspired to own a small business...

Comments: It's true, but when your calling is a clear one, you are obligated to follow! Our small care giving business has employees working exclusively at customer sites. The caregivers (most also over 50 yrs. old) input their time, mileage & expenses from their smart phones. Invoicing is generally done at my laptop but can be done from my phone. The invoicing can be personalized with valuable information for our clients such as upcoming holidays, rate changes, & thank yous for allowing us to earn their business. The reporting is simple to use as is the customer support. The customer support is very knowledgeable & easy to understand. We have never experienced a wait time either. We tried another accounting package our first year of business & found it too cumbersome & not user friendly for those of us with only basic accounting skills. Zoho was recommended by our professional accountant & business advisor. Zoho has greatly simplified our invoicing, reporting, & customer account related tasks, so that we can focus on senior care giving where our gifts are strong. Thanks, Zoho!
-R. Ford, Owner of The Merry Marthas, LLC

Pros:

- Phone based app & laptop s-ware are EZ to use.

Cons:

Don't quite understand how to customize an invoice, save it & use it for monthly billing. Sometimes, I have to play around with the invoice to get all of the detail needed to print. For example, it is not readily apparent how to display the dates for which each expense is incurred on the invoice. Not having a copy of our company's data stored on our system makes me nervous so we keep paper back ups. Surely there is a better contingency plan of which we could take advantage.

Mike
Mike
Owner in UK
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Great solution.. but not for everyone

Comments: I used Zoho Books for my own practice for 3 years+for a few of my Clients. It's fast and reliable, and developers are improving it very regularly - adding new features constantly.
I would highly recommend using it especially in the businesses that would also use other software from Zoho-like e-mail or CRM-they're well priced and are extremely cost-effective.

Pros:

Zoho Books is lightning fast-miles ahead of the competition if it comes to the speed of the software. The actual user experience is very close to the desktop software. Another good feature is its customizability - you'll find a plethora of options with Zoho, obviously designed with advanced reporting tools that come with Zoho Suite in mind. What's important - importing and exporting stuff from Zoho is also very simple - that comes in handy if you want to switch to another software from Zoho, you'll be able to do it-most counterparts allow you to migrate data only partly. Importing journals-extremely important feature-works flawlessly.

Cons:

No integrated payroll functionality - small flaw, as you can easily import journals from the software of your choice. Average bank reconciliation - filtering records is difficult, custom sorting as well. No itegrated CIS solution. No reporting directly to HMRC.

Rick
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Very good, but lacks some of the basics

Comments: Switched from Quickbooks to ZohoBooks. Overall, ZohoBooks is very good. The site is always up and running very quickly. Tech support is excellent in both speed and quality. The software is actually fun to use. However, it does lack some of the basic functions that seem should have been in there from the beginning such as ability to print deposit slips, and there's no running total on the side of accounts so when you're looking for a mistake, it makes it very difficult to find. One feature that our business desperately is ability to pre-send invoices to people on a recurring basis before their due date. Quickbooks has had this ability back since the days of DOS (20 years ago). We're limping around right now trying to work without these basic needs in hopes that they will soon come. On the otherhand, Zoho does keep adding new features on a consistent basis. Sometimes just simple design changes but at least you get the feeling they are still working on it. -Highly recommended, however proceed with caution because there are some very basic things missing and they don't seem to be in a hurry to resolve this. It's almost the year 2017 and I'm adding up deposits by calculator and filling in deposit slips by pen. Shouldn't be ;-\

Pros:

Excellent/fast support. Interface can be fun to use and is quick to respond. Development seems to be ongoing.

Cons:

Lacks basic functions like deposit slip printing (and automatically transferring those funds to bank from Undeposited Funds), ability to pre-send recurring invoices, inability to set simple defaults such as default account to accept payment to (always need to manually select Undeposited Funds when accepting checks) and no running total in account ledgers such as Undeposited Funds (how are you supposed to find and fix errors, mistakes?)

Sumukha
Accounts Executive in India
Commercial Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Better Accounting Software

Pros:

Invoice and billing options are good and we can accept the credit card payment and online payment, and auto generation of monthly invoice and we can set due dates so the system will send auto reminder for aged receivables to the tenant

Cons:

when its come to reports like Financial reports and budget forecasting and other its bit difficult to analyze the report and it is bit confusing in Aged receivable report