Bigcommerce Reviews

by Bigcommerce

• Overall
    4.3/5
    4.1/5
    4.3/5

About Bigcommerce

BigCommerce is the world's leading cloud ecommerce platform for established and rapidly-growing businesses.

Learn more about Bigcommerce

Nathan K.
Marketing Manager
Sporting Goods, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2019

"Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses"

Comments: We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros: Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons: Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

• Reviewed on 04/09/2019
E-commerce Fraud and Payments Management
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2019

"Great platform to built your own website"

Comments: Bigcommerce is a good platform to built websites. It offers separate plans with very different features so it allows you to find what works for you.

Pros: Bigcommerce is a great platform for small businesses or businesses in general that do not have a great budget to start developing their e-commerce. We have adopted this solution for a couple of our clients. The main features we have encountered so far are:Very easy to set up and to use. The dashboard is very easy to understand so people with little knowledge on the backend can work with it without difficulties.There are no limits on the products you can list on the online store so it works well for business for multiple skus.When building the online store, you have multiple templates to choose from and many options as different payment getaways in order to personalize your online store.The standard plan is ok and comes with nice features as the giftcard options

Cons: The main con is that the plan prices are slightly higher than similar tools. There are some features that might worth the cost but when considering options check if they might be useful for your business, otherwise a cheaper alternative might be a better option
Templates are ok, but just a few ones are for free.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2019
Joe A.
Marketing Manager
Consumer Goods, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2020

"Good platform depending on your business needs."

Comments: We use Bigcommerce to run our E-commerce business. Overall, we are satisfied with the platform and it gets the job done.

Pros: The layout is fairly easy to navigate and the support team is helpful when we have issues. We went with Bigcommerce because we were having issues with Shopify with the timing and capturing of payments.

Cons: Bigcommerce is very limited in design options when compared to platforms such as Shopify, Wordpress and Magento. I would recommend going with one of them depending on your business needs.

• Reviewed on 04/02/2020
  • Reviewed on 25/11/2019

"Almost everything you need right out of box to run ecommerce"

Comments: Overall, it is nice platform that offers all the essentials (even on lowest plan). However, due to sales limitations on each tier, it may not be the best choice for fast growing businesses or those who already have many orders coming in. In the end, we chose to go opensource instead. However, I still see value and time savings with bigcommerce and it is my top 2 choice among non-opensource ecommerce options.

Pros: I like the amount of features that come right out of the box, even on the lowest plan. For example, the amount of option combinations possible for variation listings allows much more than shopify. This is good for products with many configurations or built products that come with many parts. The SEO features in bigcommerce also seem pretty good and you are not stuck with certain meta words that cannot be removed like the seo in shopify. There is a decent developer community as well just in case more functions are needed. However, the majority of what you need comes stock which adds alot of value. The available templates (both stock and ones on the marketplace) are very trendy, professional, and modern looking. Bigcommerce is a good choice for those with little to no coding experience. There may be a slight learning curve, but definitely still beginner friendly in my opinion.

Cons: The developer community may not be as robust as shopify, but this isnt too big of an issue since there are so many tools that are already readily available. I do not like how each plan only comes with a certain amount of allowed sales before it automatically bumps you up to the next plan. I also do not like much the stock templates look alike and how the abandon cart feature is not currently available on the lowest plan.

• Reviewed on 25/11/2019
Chad W.
Front-End Developer
Internet, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2018

"Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more"

Comments: It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros: BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier. There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great. The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons: If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress. They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable. For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages. And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email. I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2018
Ron C.
Arts & Crafts, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2019

"Some Ups and Downs, but I'm a Loyal User All the Same"

Comments: I signed up when they were fairly new to the market, and have seen the company change hands, grow, and make changes to the product. It's not been a perfect experience, but I've never really considered changing platforms because of any issues I've had. At the end of the day, BigCommerce lets me run my site without having to think too much about the web-side of things.

Pros: I love the general ease of use on the front end, while having a massive amount of control on the back end. Pricing has gone up over the years, but has always been fair in my opinion. With BigCommerce, I was able to single handedly set up my own online shop, add products, design the site based on their templates, and then stop back and focus on the day-to-day tasks of running a business.

Cons: Their inability to have a robust iPhone app or even a truly useable mobile admin site is inexcusable in 2019. Customer service is usually good, but I've also had some fairly rough experiences.

• Reviewed on 19/12/2019
Director & Developer
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2019

"Bigcommerce may not be the biggest name in eCommerce, though it's great as a user and developer"

Comments: I've used Bigcommerce for new businesses with clients unfamiliar with website or eCommerce management, and have managed to set them up comfortably with an eCommerce site that is easy to update and maintain a blog on.

Pros: Bigcommerce is very developer and user friendly. I found it to be stand out when developing a custom theme, and was able to easily integrate a clients inventory system and train them to use the system faster than with competing tools.

Cons: I don't have a great deal of trouble with Bigcommerce. I think the main gripe is that abandoned cart recovery requires a more pricey monthly plan. This feature would be great for smaller businesses trying to get started.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2019
Gordon D.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2020

"BigCommerce is what keeps my business going"

Comments: BigCommerce keeps my business going and does it easily. I have 1 other person that works with me so any excessive time spent on peripheral tasks cuts into our production significantly. With Bigcommerece I have not had to worry about that at all and get to keep doing what pays the bills.

Pros: As a web based business it is imperative that my website work and as a small business I have to be able to keep it going myself. BigCommerce fits both of those for me. I have set it up and managed it all myself. Some things are easier than others but overall this software is great.

Cons: Although they are constantly adding apps that integrate, there are not as many options as some other companies but they are constantly adding and updating them.

• Reviewed on 18/02/2020
Billy G.
Alpha Pup
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2020

"Excellent Store Management Plumbing and Partner Alliances"

Comments: Big Commerce has built a fabulous eCommerce engine that integrates with many important providers of inventory, POS, shipping, tax calculation, etc. They offer all this at a reasonable fee. Their Achilles Heel is their website builder and they know it. The current WordPress headless play is probably a wise interim step... but LAMP is getting long in the tooth... Plan B.2?

Pros: Big Commerce have done an excellent job of identifying and integrating the components necessary for a very robust large scale online store. It is wrapped in a very inflexible templated front end that requires programming to break out of. They clearly recognized this shortcoming and have deftly pivoted to a headless model that tosses the client-side rendering to... WordPress.

Cons: The theming/template/programming model of native BigCommerce is an investment. It is a specialty that does not feel like a career investment, rather it is a commitment to be a Big Commerce partner/developer. I suppose that with a pool of large clients this might seem monetarily attractive, at the end of the pool with smaller clients and smaller jobs, customization work required will often exceed their needs or desires and even at the small business end of things, e-commerce websites have become content marketing tools as well as storefronts. The out of box BigCommerce sites just don't accommodate the rapid transformation required. A free WordPress plugin for headless BigCommerce machinery under the hood certainly addresses this... for now, but I see incredible advances in the flexibility and programming model of Wix. If (when?) they get that to scale to faster performance on larger datasets... look out World...

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2020
Jake C.
ecommerce analyst
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2019

"Very feature-packed, especially for the price. Bigcommerce has a lot to offer!"

Comments: Excellent ecommerce. Possibly the best I've ever experienced, but that's hard to claim as everyone has different needs, but Bigcommerce certainly works extremely well for us. The entry-level plans are way worth the cost and allow many businesses at any size level to utilize BC to their advantage

Pros: -Price for what you get is outstanding
-Entry-level features aren't barebones like you might see w/ other alternatives
-Excellent customer support staff - helpful, timely, & efficient
-Ease of use is great, makes it easier for us to onboard new employees, which is always great
-The developer community is something nice to tap into as well as contribute to
-Stock templates are excellent
-Very reliable platoform

Cons: This isn't an issue for us, because we have a few dev's on hand, but you really might want to have a developer if you're going to use Bigcommerce AND you want a fully-customized website. Keep in mind if this is something in your needs.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2019
Mark K.
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2020

"Bigcommerce edged out the competition for my online store."

Comments: I tried several shopping cart e-commerce solutions and found that Bigcommerce suited my needs the most. I ended up using a free style template and customized it myself saving me a lot of money. Online and phone support are top notch!

Pros: The ease of use was a major factor in my decision to go with Bigcommerce. There are many choices out there for online retailers to build their storefront. I liked the ease of customization and the large amount of standard features. Their integration with online marketplaces and social media really saves a lot of time.

Cons: There is an annual sales cap that I'm worried about, but when I get to that point I will just upgrade the service to where I need it. There are not enough free store style templates available. Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2020
Rick C.
Computer Hardware, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/05/2019

"If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider."

Comments: For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros: BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time. PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork. Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional. Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons: Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years. Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

• Reviewed on 06/05/2019
Jennifer H.
Front-end Developer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2019

"Love it!"

Pros: We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

Cons: There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

• Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Daniel Q.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store "

Comments: we have been using bigcommerce for about 2 years in our ecommerce website, we used before woocomerce which requires more programming knowledge and it is more time consuming, since we moved to bigcommerce, we noticed a huge difference in the speed of the website, with bigcommerce and basic knowledge of HTML you can accomplish a lot of goals and modifications of the templates, but if you don't have any website programming knowledge you can still have your decent website, the package that bigcommerce include with their pricing you have enough tools to start runing your business without investing too much time. we save a lot of time with bigcommerce , uploading the products through CSV files and then we can export back all the info from bigcommerce to others marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, we recommend bigcommerce if you don't want to spend too much money but at the same time you would like to have a decent website, we just recommend to bigcommerce add more features to customize the website, like make more dynamic like other competitors can offer like Wix, and also offer more different templates, animations, etc , with more professional look, they haven't updated the templates a long time ago, just basic updates thank you

Pros: -Very reliable
-Speed Website
-Friendly user
-able to sync to 3rd parties app
-good pricing
-simply to use

Cons: -lack of templates options
-lack of options that other competitors have
-freedom to personalized the website, most of the stuff is better to use the template
-limited on options to add videos or other links options type of fonts styles animations like other competitors

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Amir B.
Company Director
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"Very good and reasonably priced"

Comments: Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pros: Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Cons: Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Lead Web Developer / Designer
Oil & Energy, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/08/2019

"Great E-Commerce Platform for Both B2C and B2B Companies"

Comments: We have a consistent revenue stream of active customers on our website daily. We are able to process these and ship them within the BigC system. It makes all of our employees' day-to-day processes so much easier.

Pros: Customization, ability to have product variants and options, filtered search on the category pages and search pages.

Cons: Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening. It's often mediated with a day or two but the initial message can be cumbersome.

• Reviewed on 13/08/2019
Rob S.
Public Safety, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/08/2018

"Big Commerce Review"

Comments: We realized we needed a larger, more stable platform for our 110,000+ customers and Big C was a perfect fit for our company.

Pros: The Big Commerce platform is very easy to use and set up for your website. Very simple to set up shipping values and even payment systems. There is an app store within the back end that is FULL of additions you can add to your store. We use about 9 apps that range from SEO to live visitors on the website and analytics of where they are from and what pages / products they are looking at. I highly recommend Big Commerce mostly because of the ease of use and the 24/7 customer phone support you receive. Anytime I have had an issue or couldn't figure something out, I called them and they answered the question normally within 5 minutes.

Cons: The only con I have is the price may be a little high compared to other ecommerce platforms, but you get what you pay for and this is the best platform with ZERO down time and best support we have ever had in operating our business for the past 12 years.

• Reviewed on 06/08/2018
Peter E.
Chief Technologist
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/03/2019

"Wish I Had Switched Earlier"

Comments: My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it. Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros: Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons: I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me. There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none. Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

• Reviewed on 29/03/2019
Bianca l. P.
Co-founder & CEO
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2019

"It's okay."

Pros: We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons: Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2019
Chief Operations Officer
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2019

"An excellent hosting e-commerce platform with almost all enterprise features"

Comments: We have migrated our Magento 1 site to BigCommerce after ongoing frustration with Magento 2.3 extension quality and caching issues. We've achieved a lot in a 2 week period and launched in a month.

Pros: The stability of it is great. The admin UI is very easy to use and intuitive. It has advanced pricing controls and other B2B features. The templates are great and we really saved a lot of time with a customization. If you have strong e-commerce skills in house, I honestly believe you can be live in a month or two. We found ourselves solving lots of problems that we'd normally require a developer for. It's very robust if you can stay on its rails. There are a lot of plug-ins, although some are expensive with monthly subscriptions.

Cons: The standard shipping features are very lacking and basic, and the solution is to use a plug-in. Although a free account with the plug-in is provided, it's inadequate and a subscription ended up costing us hundreds of dollars a month. The shipping system is even inadequate for basic stores. It's also lacking some functionality like product priority within categories, and limits faceted filters to 12 which required us to re-jig a bit of stuff and remove some filters. So the merchandising can be limiting at times. We could also do with native support for SVG images, and a static block CMS. Support is slow and you can be waiting 2 days for a reply. So although it is easy to use, if you do hit a wall, you need to wait a while for support. However, even with these caveats, we still found it to be a better solution to what we were using.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2019
Christine P.
Business Development
Plastics, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2019

"Big Commerce Works for Harman"

Comments: Our previous platform was limited and not very user friendly. BigCommerce has made managing our online store so much easier and it has allowed us to provide a better customer experience.

Pros: I love the way the interface is set up. It is very easy to manage and everywhere you need to access is easy to find - You can also customize different status' so we can identify every situation quickly. We are just starting to use the Blog feature and we are very excited about how easy this is to manage.

Cons: The blog themes are kind of generic. We had to have our blog template designed so it would stand out and match the overall look we are going for.

• Reviewed on 23/09/2019
Richelle R.
office manager
  • Reviewed on 15/01/2018

"Good option for small businesses"

Pros: Big Commerce in general is very easy to use. The ecommerce site that we set up looks lovely, and seems to work most of the time. Looks professional and syncs well with paypal to process payment.

Cons: There have been a few times that our site went down for unexplained reasons. Luckily customers have let us know and it was resolved quickly once we reached out to bigcommerce, but it is disconcerting that it went down in the first place. One time all of our products just disappeared. BigCommerce support was able to find them and re-establish all, but still not sure why that happened. This software seems expensive for a small business with a small budget, and then to have issues like this. They did not offer a refund or anything, and we have no way of knowing how long our site was down for.

• Reviewed on 15/01/2018
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2019

"BigCommerce Support can't be beat"

Comments: BigCommerce support and the platform has been easy to use and I would recommend this over some of the other sites that my client use.

Pros: I have built several eCommerce stores on BigCommerce for my clients and I continue to be impressed with the support that BigCommerce provides. In this day when you very rarely get to talk to a human, it is greatly appreciated. I build sites that the product requires a lot of custom options and the staff is always coming up with ways to help me figure out the best way to build these options.

Cons: There is little not to like. With the new Stencil themes it is not as easy to edit templates for someone like me who is not a developer.

• Reviewed on 26/03/2019
Jannis P.
PR Specialist
Public Relations & Communications, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 02/09/2019

"Scalability, smooth set up and great customer support"

Comments: I use a few different ecommerce solutions as it depends on the business model when determining which platform is best. BigCommerce is a recent addition to my portfolio and I must say that I am impressed thus far. Their customer support and willingness to be creative to solve an obstacle has impressed me. Customer support and the ability to address unique situations is a key feature for an ecommerce platform in my opinion.

Pros: The ease of use and access to assistance when needed. It is not unusual to get the brush off from a large cloud platform when you ask for a solution to an unusual situation. I was pleasantly surprised by the response I got from BigCommerce when this happened. Not only wee they willing to address it, they provided very detailed, walkthrough information to help me handle it myself. I highly recommend BigCommerce on the basis of their superior customer service alone at this point.
Most platforms these days provide all of the basic necessary functions. Customer support is where the best rise to the top.

Cons: I wish there were more free templates available or the ability to easily customize/create a template to suit your desires. That said, the free templates provide a good platform for a variety of industries.

• Reviewed on 02/09/2019
Ivan R.
Partner
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2018

"A Poor Man's Shopify Plus---Easier to Use/Maintain than Magento But Lagging Behind Shopify"

Comments: We moved from Magneto Go, to Magento CE, and then to Bigcommerce over the course of several years in business. Moving from Magento, Bigcommerce was an obvious and needed upgrade for us. Our store was more reliable, and significantly easier to manage day to day. A lot of things that had kept me up as a sysadmin were no longer an issue and we saw very little loss in functionality all things considered. We used Bigcommerce for roughly a year and a half, leaving the platform entirely in early 2018 for Shopify Plus. In terms of the software itself, I do not regret this transition at all. If you can afford Plus I would advise you to go for it. The product is more mature than it was even a year ago, and is now a clear industry leader over Bigcommerce, OpenCart, Magento etc.

Pros: Cloud based, more-reliable-than-magento hosting, decent discount rules engine, compatible with most major "Shipping Manager" softwares like Shipstation etc No overly-restrictive terms of use, suitable platform for sellers of "high-risk" items. Better than Magneto in practice for 85% of small to medium businesses.

Cons: Poor optimization for speed, poor user-facing checkout experience, tepid app ecosystem, objectively inferior automation and reporting tools, admin UI is clunky, customization of themes is difficult and costly, new features/product launches are paywalled and often incomplete, didn't stop billing us when we canceled service to switch to Shopify, experienced a glitch which inexplicably hid paid orders... Out of the box Shopify does practically everything better while minimizing the potential for errors during setup, configuration, optimization, and daily use of your store. In almost every metric and use case Shopify dominates Bigcommerce. Bigcommerce is playing catchup, and it's obvious from the back end of the software their team is struggling to stay competitive. While we were on the platform some updates appeared to suffer from "Microsoft syndrome" in that they looked pretty but had minimal depth or practical utility (think 3D paint or the latest version of windows media player). Bigcommerce only comes out ahead in pricing, terms of service, and a few configuration edge cases (which can mostly be solved by Apps in Shopify.)

• Reviewed on 28/10/2018