Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

Reviewed on 04/09/2019
Nathan K.
Marketing Manager
Sporting Goods, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros: Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons: Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider.

Reviewed on 06/05/2019
Rick C.
Computer Hardware, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros: BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time. PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork. Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional. Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons: Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years. Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

Love it!

Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Jennifer H.
Front-end Developer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: We've been using Bigcommerce (or BC, for short) for about 4 years now, and we love it. It makes ecommerce easy and efficient.

Cons: There are some instances where the lack of control or access to the server has caused us to change some of our plans, but it's nothing I would call a dealbreaker.

Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store

Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Daniel Q.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: we have been using bigcommerce for about 2 years in our ecommerce website, we used before woocomerce which requires more programming knowledge and it is more time consuming, since we moved to bigcommerce, we noticed a huge difference in the speed of the website, with bigcommerce and basic knowledge of HTML you can accomplish a lot of goals and modifications of the templates, but if you don't have any website programming knowledge you can still have your decent website, the package that bigcommerce include with their pricing you have enough tools to start runing your business without investing too much time. we save a lot of time with bigcommerce , uploading the products through CSV files and then we can export back all the info from bigcommerce to others marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, we recommend bigcommerce if you don't want to spend too much money but at the same time you would like to have a decent website, we just recommend to bigcommerce add more features to customize the website, like make more dynamic like other competitors can offer like Wix, and also offer more different templates, animations, etc , with more professional look, they haven't updated the templates a long time ago, just basic updates thank you

Pros: -Very reliable
-Speed Website
-Friendly user
-able to sync to 3rd parties app
-good pricing
-simply to use

Cons: -lack of templates options
-lack of options that other competitors have
-freedom to personalized the website, most of the stuff is better to use the template
-limited on options to add videos or other links options type of fonts styles animations like other competitors

Very good and reasonably priced

Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Amir B.
Company Director
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Very good site builder and systems. I woudln't go back to hosting our own site as you can get everything you want for a better price and with great support.

Pros: Bigcommerce is a very good alternative to building your website, in fact probably better. It has a lot of features and different pricing bands which compared to other systems are a lot more fairer. Can integrate with a lot of multi-channel providers or integrate services into as well as specifically designed apps for you website.

Cons: Can be hard to change the template yourself to make it different other than purchasing different templates.

Great E-Commerce Platform for Both B2C and B2B Companies

Reviewed on 13/08/2019
Lead Web Developer / Designer
Oil & Energy, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have a consistent revenue stream of active customers on our website daily. We are able to process these and ship them within the BigC system. It makes all of our employees' day-to-day processes so much easier.

Pros: Customization, ability to have product variants and options, filtered search on the category pages and search pages.

Cons: Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening. It's often mediated with a day or two but the initial message can be cumbersome.

Big Commerce Review

Reviewed on 06/08/2018
Rob S.
Public Safety, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We realized we needed a larger, more stable platform for our 110,000+ customers and Big C was a perfect fit for our company.

Pros: The Big Commerce platform is very easy to use and set up for your website. Very simple to set up shipping values and even payment systems. There is an app store within the back end that is FULL of additions you can add to your store. We use about 9 apps that range from SEO to live visitors on the website and analytics of where they are from and what pages / products they are looking at. I highly recommend Big Commerce mostly because of the ease of use and the 24/7 customer phone support you receive. Anytime I have had an issue or couldn't figure something out, I called them and they answered the question normally within 5 minutes.

Cons: The only con I have is the price may be a little high compared to other ecommerce platforms, but you get what you pay for and this is the best platform with ZERO down time and best support we have ever had in operating our business for the past 12 years.

Wish I Had Switched Earlier

Reviewed on 29/03/2019
Peter E.
Chief Technologist
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: My Previous ECommerce Provider did NOT make the transition to SSL smoothly and caused me to lose numerous customers. Also their periodic billing at first worked, then failed and they were unable to fix it. Big Commerce is on top of it. They come out with new features. Up time is good. Questions and problems are dealt with speedily and with correctness.

Pros: Ease of Use and Straight Forward. It works well.

Cons: I had GREAT difficultly replacing my billing credit card. My previous credit card had been compromised. I needed to replace it. My undergrad degree is in Electrical Engineering! It took me 1 hour and a call to Customer Service to replace my card number to bill me. There should also be a BACK UP credit card, in case the old credit card fails. But there is none. Sometimes my customers call me because they canNOT understand the check out OR their computer may have a virus that does not allow them to check out. Amazon does NOT have this problem. If Big Commerce can make a check out that is equal to Amazon's, I and my customers would be happier.

It's okay.

Reviewed on 07/01/2019
Bianca l. P.
Co-founder & CEO
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: We moved from Shopify to Bigcommerce because Shopify lacked features that Bigcommerce had out of the box such as proper product categories, saved payments, one-page checkout among others. These features have worked well and our conversion rates went from 3% to over 10%. Bigcommerce is great for more complicated product catalogs with lots of categories and skus whereas Shopify is great for simple catalogs.

Cons: Bigcommerce continues to build out new features rather than fixing problems with current ones. Every week I hear about a new payment processor or some random feature that's built half-baked. I've been very, very frustrated at the lack of thought behind many features and their inability to fix simple problems. Their API's are a mess, with some of the API's passing all the data you need, and other's missing important data needed - so we're creating functions to call information that should be (and easily can be) included in the objects returned by the API. There is NO mobile application, even to check simple things like orders, which is the most ridiculous thing given we're in 2019.

An excellent hosting e-commerce platform with almost all enterprise features

Reviewed on 13/02/2019
Chief Operations Officer
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have migrated our Magento 1 site to BigCommerce after ongoing frustration with Magento 2.3 extension quality and caching issues. We've achieved a lot in a 2 week period and launched in a month.

Pros: The stability of it is great. The admin UI is very easy to use and intuitive. It has advanced pricing controls and other B2B features. The templates are great and we really saved a lot of time with a customization. If you have strong e-commerce skills in house, I honestly believe you can be live in a month or two. We found ourselves solving lots of problems that we'd normally require a developer for. It's very robust if you can stay on its rails. There are a lot of plug-ins, although some are expensive with monthly subscriptions.

Cons: The standard shipping features are very lacking and basic, and the solution is to use a plug-in. Although a free account with the plug-in is provided, it's inadequate and a subscription ended up costing us hundreds of dollars a month. The shipping system is even inadequate for basic stores. It's also lacking some functionality like product priority within categories, and limits faceted filters to 12 which required us to re-jig a bit of stuff and remove some filters. So the merchandising can be limiting at times. We could also do with native support for SVG images, and a static block CMS. Support is slow and you can be waiting 2 days for a reply. So although it is easy to use, if you do hit a wall, you need to wait a while for support. However, even with these caveats, we still found it to be a better solution to what we were using.

Good option for small businesses

Reviewed on 15/01/2018
Richelle R.
office manager
Customer Support

Pros: Big Commerce in general is very easy to use. The ecommerce site that we set up looks lovely, and seems to work most of the time. Looks professional and syncs well with paypal to process payment.

Cons: There have been a few times that our site went down for unexplained reasons. Luckily customers have let us know and it was resolved quickly once we reached out to bigcommerce, but it is disconcerting that it went down in the first place. One time all of our products just disappeared. BigCommerce support was able to find them and re-establish all, but still not sure why that happened. This software seems expensive for a small business with a small budget, and then to have issues like this. They did not offer a refund or anything, and we have no way of knowing how long our site was down for.

BigCommerce Support can't be beat

Reviewed on 26/03/2019
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: BigCommerce support and the platform has been easy to use and I would recommend this over some of the other sites that my client use.

Pros: I have built several eCommerce stores on BigCommerce for my clients and I continue to be impressed with the support that BigCommerce provides. In this day when you very rarely get to talk to a human, it is greatly appreciated. I build sites that the product requires a lot of custom options and the staff is always coming up with ways to help me figure out the best way to build these options.

Cons: There is little not to like. With the new Stencil themes it is not as easy to edit templates for someone like me who is not a developer.

Scalability, smooth set up and great customer support

Reviewed on 02/09/2019
Jannis P.
PR Specialist
Public Relations & Communications, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I use a few different ecommerce solutions as it depends on the business model when determining which platform is best. BigCommerce is a recent addition to my portfolio and I must say that I am impressed thus far. Their customer support and willingness to be creative to solve an obstacle has impressed me. Customer support and the ability to address unique situations is a key feature for an ecommerce platform in my opinion.

Pros: The ease of use and access to assistance when needed. It is not unusual to get the brush off from a large cloud platform when you ask for a solution to an unusual situation. I was pleasantly surprised by the response I got from BigCommerce when this happened. Not only wee they willing to address it, they provided very detailed, walkthrough information to help me handle it myself. I highly recommend BigCommerce on the basis of their superior customer service alone at this point.
Most platforms these days provide all of the basic necessary functions. Customer support is where the best rise to the top.

Cons: I wish there were more free templates available or the ability to easily customize/create a template to suit your desires. That said, the free templates provide a good platform for a variety of industries.

Easy to make basic sites, difficult to do more

Reviewed on 18/11/2018
Chad W.
Front-End Developer
Internet, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It does the basics well, but there are plenty of e-commerce platforms out there that outperform BigCommerce. In my experience Shopify is better than BigCommerce is every way. I even prefer WordPress with WooCommerce to this.

Pros: BigCommerce does make it easy to list and sell products online. The product manager is pretty comprehensive, and most of the pages are made for you - including the home page. It includes several SEO features out of the box, which encourages users to make higher quality listings that will sell easier. There are many custom themes for Bigcommerce, and most of them look great. The interface has gotten a much needed facelift in the past few years.

Cons: If you're trying to do more than the basics, Bigcommerce (BC) is difficult to work with. App extensions are present, but nowhere close to the breadth and depth of functionality available to WordPress. They do have a theme editor, but it requires tricky setup and command-line actions to update. Compared to Shopify's theme editor which is all in-browser, the BC theme editor is lacking. Documentation is available, but I found myself scrounging around on forums for many basic features not listed in the docs. The in-browser theme editor is buggy and unreliable. For editing static pages, BC's WYSIWYG editor is meager and unnecessarily strict. The linter strips out perfectly valid code (like blank divs), and there's no way to include CSS on a page – meaning that any @media queries or breakpoints have to clutter up the main CSS file. There are very limited options editing your home page, and almost no options to edit your shop pages. And maybe it's just the theme we started using, but the pages load VERY slowly. It takes several seconds to asynchronously load the page content, so javascript running on a product page may not run for 3-4 seconds after the user lands! Not ideal The email editor is painful. We found ourselves designing in mailchimp and copy/pasting into BC when done. There's no way to send a test email either, do you have to complete an order each time you want to see that updated order email. I mentioned the interface is better, but it's still quite buggy.

A Poor Man's Shopify Plus---Easier to Use/Maintain than Magento But Lagging Behind Shopify

Reviewed on 28/10/2018
Ivan R.
Partner
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We moved from Magneto Go, to Magento CE, and then to Bigcommerce over the course of several years in business. Moving from Magento, Bigcommerce was an obvious and needed upgrade for us. Our store was more reliable, and significantly easier to manage day to day. A lot of things that had kept me up as a sysadmin were no longer an issue and we saw very little loss in functionality all things considered. We used Bigcommerce for roughly a year and a half, leaving the platform entirely in early 2018 for Shopify Plus. In terms of the software itself, I do not regret this transition at all. If you can afford Plus I would advise you to go for it. The product is more mature than it was even a year ago, and is now a clear industry leader over Bigcommerce, OpenCart, Magento etc.

Pros: Cloud based, more-reliable-than-magento hosting, decent discount rules engine, compatible with most major "Shipping Manager" softwares like Shipstation etc No overly-restrictive terms of use, suitable platform for sellers of "high-risk" items. Better than Magneto in practice for 85% of small to medium businesses.

Cons: Poor optimization for speed, poor user-facing checkout experience, tepid app ecosystem, objectively inferior automation and reporting tools, admin UI is clunky, customization of themes is difficult and costly, new features/product launches are paywalled and often incomplete, didn't stop billing us when we canceled service to switch to Shopify, experienced a glitch which inexplicably hid paid orders... Out of the box Shopify does practically everything better while minimizing the potential for errors during setup, configuration, optimization, and daily use of your store. In almost every metric and use case Shopify dominates Bigcommerce. Bigcommerce is playing catchup, and it's obvious from the back end of the software their team is struggling to stay competitive. While we were on the platform some updates appeared to suffer from "Microsoft syndrome" in that they looked pretty but had minimal depth or practical utility (think 3D paint or the latest version of windows media player). Bigcommerce only comes out ahead in pricing, terms of service, and a few configuration edge cases (which can mostly be solved by Apps in Shopify.)

Small Commerce

Reviewed on 15/03/2019
CFO
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: BigCommerce has allowed us to have an online store, but the manual processes related to it make the cost of having the site higher than expected. Simple things like a minimum order have to be coded in. If you are a midsize company, you might want to consider another platform.

Pros: Ability to have an online presence cheaply and easily.

Cons: Big Commerce doesn't allow for (and isn't even familiar with) level 3 processing for credit cards. The site also does not have a setting to establish the minimum amount of an order. Editing information about products is cumbersome; unless you are willing to export the entire contents of the site and feel comfortable importing it without problems.

well rounded eCommerce solution

Reviewed on 12/12/2017
Toby M.
Senior Marketing Analyst
Consumer Electronics, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: BigCommerce is easy to set up and use; provides a lot template to begin with and you can also customize your site. The new releases Stencil theme performs better than the old template but also requires more skills to develop and manage the template. Manage and process order is easy too. Overall a great eCommerce tool for online business. They are also adding features all the time. Support is good too.

Cons: Some feature is lacking or still under development. very limited coupon settings customization and other few customization features but they said they are working on improving those features.

An elegant platform, just lacking some features found elsewhere.

Reviewed on 14/04/2019
Breakpack Orderfiller
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Beautiful and modern themes allow you to easily make a website that will attract customers into your online store or blog. There are numerous customization options, such as embedding another website's video, photo, blog post, etc. You can customize nearly any aspect of the website, like background, font, color, and the like. Making a store is simple as well, and they only charge a flat fee, so adding additional options is easy and doesn't cost anything extra, which isn't the case with some comparable competitors.

Cons: While the themes themselves are quite customizable, there is a very limited quantity of different themes to choose from in the first place (before you start customizing them), which leads each customization of a specific theme to end up looking and feeling somewhat similar. So, if too many people use a certain theme, it could end up becoming recognizable and seeming like a website version of a "stock photo". Fleshed out websites fully loaded with features and add-ons can be slow to load and have longer response times.

Powers both of our company websites and performs amazingly!

Reviewed on 21/05/2018
Eric A.
IT Admin
Automotive, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: There are a lot of things to love. Integrating this with Netsuite or Fishbowl ERP's is fairly easy and makes your life much easier. We've been able to maintain our companies on these sites since the very beginning of 4 employees and 1 customers all the way to 70+ employees and more than 1,000 customers. Makes our life very easy and makes growing an e-commerce company much easier.

Cons: Have had growing pains early on since we were one of the first companies it seems to what to integrate Fishbowl but once the initial setup and processes were hashed out most things went smoother.

Bigcommerce has given our growing business great insight to the e-commerce world.

Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Caitlin D.
Logistics Manager
Customer Support

Pros: Ease of use. This has been useful when training new hires. It is very easy to use. The navigation is very straight forward. When dealing with customers it is very helpful. Webinars are appreciated. We used them frequently when looking into selling on Amazon. Support portal is straight forward when a problem arises.

Cons: I do not like the analytics page. I do not find them effective. I wish they were easier to use and gave you straight forward data on the dashboard. Customizing reports is a challenge as well. This should be easier to use and more intuitive.

Easy to use, full-featured shopping cart and website builder

Reviewed on 27/12/2017
Richard W.
IT Mgr
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Easy to use, all-in-one solution.

Pros: I love that it is an All-In-One solution. It can build your website with shopping cart included is just a few easy steps. Their support is great too if you run into any difficulties. They offer lots of different shipping options, purchasing options (Credit Card, Paypal etc), there is also a big community if you want to do things that are not built in.

Cons: Sometimes it can be a little hard to make modifications to things that aren't naturally supported by bigcommerce when editing the template but the community helps a lot.

Would switch if I could find something better

Reviewed on 30/03/2018
Matt G.
Director of eCommerce
Apparel & Fashion, 13-50 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Easy to get up and running. Features are some of the best offered in this class. Pricing doesn't take a cut off of sales.

Cons: Many advanced features lacking or cost extra, like filtered search and navigation. Bugs are fixed and new features are added based on number of requests as opposed to the severity or need of the fix or feature. As a result, some bugs can persist for years if only a few people have reported them. No release notes or detailed info on updates. Overall it seems the company is still run more like a startup as instead of an established company that's accountable to their customers. Seems they focus more on doing things that get them headlines, marketing material, and talking points instead of what most meets their customer's needs. They can be quite tonedeaf when it comes to understanding the way retail works and what the needs of small businesses really are. It's quite a shame as there is a lot of potential. The only reason I stay is because either the better platforms are unaffordable (Magento, Demandware, Netsuite, Miva, etc) or the ones comparable in price lack essential features or have their own problems that I can't workaround (Shopify, Volusion, etc.) So I'm stuck until we grow more. Don't get me wrong, they have improved greatly in the 6 years I've been with them, but they have a long way to go.

Great for getting started.

Reviewed on 12/12/2018
Director Web Technology
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have used BigCommerce personally for many years and have never been offline or had any technical issues. I have also set up stores for clients and was happy to see that they could learn to use the system with minimal training.

Pros: Launching a new store on BigCommerce couldn't be easier. They have an onramp that is very smooth. They also have excellent integrations with third-party software like MailChimp.

Cons: BigCommerce email hosting is just OK, and really not well supported. They actually recommend hosting email elsewhere.

I have used BigCommerce to build two ecommerce stores for a client; a consumer site and a wholesale

Reviewed on 07/06/2017
Julie B.
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I learned a lot about selling online and selling through channels. Using this software I was made aware of other types of software as a service products that were useful for my other clients.

Pros: It took me a while to get used to the new management dashboard when BigCommerce upgraded to the new platform, but I am getting to know my way around. I like the integration to manage various channels through the dashboard. The reports are very informational to keep up on sales.

Cons: The coupon or discount codes are sometimes hard to configure based on the type of offer you would like to do. It would be nice to be able to set a time of day for an offer to expire. My client's customer had a customer ID. It would be nice if you could add a customer ID to match your offline accounting and shipping software . A lot of features my customer would like would require an developer.

Very User Friendly Shopping Cart Application

Reviewed on 07/06/2017
Stacy W.
Webmaster
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Ease of use, efficient product maintenance, etc.

Pros: I love the fact that most of the coding has been done for the user. The program is so user friendly, that anyone could easily have a website up and running within a day or so.

Cons: Bigcommerce has a great shipping set up for individual products. I would like to see their developers provide an "in-house" dim-weight shipping solution. This would give them a huge advantage over their competitors.