AIM Reviews

by Tri-Technical Systems

• Overall
    4.1 /5

About AIM

AIM is a complete point of sale, inventory management, accounting and business software for the retail industry. (AIM is EMV-ready)

Learn more about AIM

Consumer Services
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2018

"Its really easy to make reports which is good for this type of software"

Pros: I really like how you can easily generate reports, that's important for my business and I believe this software can do the best job of it.

Cons: I don't like that's a little clunky to use, but that should go without saying because this is super complex software we're dealing with here.

• Reviewed on 13/03/2018
Bonnie R.
Music, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2018

"One of the worst business decisions I have made."

Comments: We gained POS software with serialized inventory track-ability from this software, something that we were lacking with QuickBooks.

Pros: It can handle a lot of inventory and a lot of different skus. The POS module is decent as far as keeping track of a lot of customers and barcodes. If you do opt for this software, stick with the very basic POS module only.

Cons: There are sooooo many things....
First off, the platform itself is extremely outdated. The only people who like this software are companies who have been using it for more than 10 years and haven't tried anything newer.
Our IT guy HATES it, and TriTech wants you to spend thousands of dollars on an old-school server set-up because it can't be set up with any sort of cloud system. One thing to keep in mind is the relatively cheap up front cost is just the beginning, as the hardware costs are going to get you BIG TIME when you have to keep going backwards in time and adding hardware, IT, and specialized accounting costs on top of everything else (did I mention our accounting costs quintupled when we started using AIMsi?!).
You can hardly ever correct a mistake, and we found this out right away when even TriTech support messed up trying to help us correct a simple mistake early on. Making corrections is tedious if not impossible, and yet the program is so counter-intuitive it's very easy to make mistakes even if you've been working with it for awhile.
The accounting module is a joke, and this is where I feel like it was truly a bad business decision. We went live officially in 2016 after practicing for about 6 months, and after 11 months of trying to get off of QuickBooks completely and get on only one reporting software we finally gave up on AIMsi as we started losing sight of numbers and business goals.
Bottom line, there are way better options out there than AIMsi.

• Reviewed on 21/01/2018
Patrick O.
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2016

"AimSi helps to run our store"

Comments: Have been using this program for about 25 years. It is a great program to run a music store. Plenty of other music store owners to share ideas of how to get the best out of AimSi

Pros: Really helps with the back room duties (accounting, inventory, planning, etc.). Great point of sale program. Bar coding is a must.

Cons: Getting quality support can be a challenge. Program has so many features that better documentation for using the features would help

• Reviewed on 13/07/2016
Stacie A.
Accouting
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/07/2017

"Great Software Package that does it all!"

Pros: It's so flexible. It can do so many things. It handles every aspect of our Music Business, links to our website and is reasonably priced.

Cons: The interface is showing it's age and is cumbersome at times. It needs an upgrade and better flow in many areas.

• Reviewed on 19/07/2017
Elizabeth S.
Business Manager
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2016

"AIMsi for computer/gun store"

Comments: We have just purchased this product within the last month and are still in the implementation phase. So far so good. It seems to be fairly easy to use once we went through some of the training videos. We have used up one of our two hours of free support getting guidance about things particular to our business and that has been very helpful. We are a small shop and spent a good amount of time shopping around for the best fit for the best price. This does what some of the way out of our league expensive programs do as far as multi-channel e-commerce, working with an online gunbook, accounting for trade-ins, consignments, assemblies, etc. I also like that it can integrate with Quickbooks and we can stay with our current merchant services provider. The cons are that depending on what modules you need, it can start to feel like you are getting nickel and dimed a bit but overall the price is still very reasonable. We were able to get what we needed within out budget. I can't give any in depth reviews beyond this yet since we are still in the learning phase but so far I think this was a great purchase.

• Reviewed on 06/12/2016
Mark H.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/01/2017

"AimSi Tri-Tech review"

Comments: I've been using this software since it was in DOS! The improvements over the years have helped our business run more efficiently and given us the ability to provide better service for our customers.

Pros: Broad range of functions

Cons: Price

• Reviewed on 20/01/2017
Scott J.
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2014

"Easy to manage and use!"

Pros: I like the organization of the sale and manage inventory. Knowing that I can look at other stores' inventory and get transfers also makes the process easier than having to order new stock for each individual store. I originally came from a small music store where everything was done on paper such as contracts, payments, and all sales. It made organization a lot tougher and more room for mathematical error. With the computerized equations and adding and subtracting, totals are much easier to find, and less human paperwork and calculating are required.

Cons: I have noticed that some payment processing and saving transactions seem to hang up at the end and take a few seconds to process and complete. Also, at times, the software seems to overwork itself or the computer, cause AIMsi to be unresponsive, and freeze up the computer.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2014
Mike P.
  • Reviewed on 03/05/2016

"Best Music Retail POS System"

Pros: One of the few full service Point of Sales systems for Music Retail. Has the ability to tie into a companies e-commerce. Active-e, Bto B, and C to B are very useful

Cons: As with all POS systems/software. Bugs and version updates can create issues. Sometimes Tech support doesn't have a good solution to the problem.

• Reviewed on 03/05/2016
Matt B.
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2017

"Good, not great"

Comments: I've never used a system like this before so I'm lost. The program has a ton of features but I understand about 1/10th of them. Very frustrating and the tech support is costly, yet you almost need it as they charge outrageous fees for calling tech support without it.

Pros: Customer service is good. They can patch in to help with issues. Lot's of functions and features.

Cons: Training modules are painful to watch. Not quality at all. Have to pay for support. Learning system is a long process.

by Amber on 15/12/2017

Hi Matt – We wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we are currently working on updating our user training materials and creating updated video content. We encourage you to give us a call so we can discuss things in more detail – 800.670.1736

• Reviewed on 14/12/2017
Craig S.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2018

"a complete nightmare"

Pros: that's its an electronic POS software that is windows based and uses my existing computers.

Cons: not able to accommodate the needs of my industry (firearms) and is constantly having issues that can only be resolved if the customer service rep sees it happening. customer service can not make alterations to the program or system, they always have to get sent to the programmers. Programmers wont make changes and expect us to change to accommodate their system. Not the way it was sold to us, nor the way the law makes us operate.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2018
Steven C.
  • Reviewed on 29/10/2014

"Seven year AIMsi user"

Pros: The software itself feels rock solid. Most problems I experience are a result of our ISP and our IT guy being off premises.

Cons: On rare occasions, our printer has connection issues, but a restart usually fixes it. I'm not sure if it's a problem with AIMsi or if it's external. I would like a change in how emailing a receipt works. You have to print a paper copy to email. The biggest drawback is the cost for each module. I know it's business software and anything that works well is not inexpensive. As long as it works as well as it does, it's an accepted trade-off.

• Reviewed on 29/10/2014
William W.
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2014

"POS made simple with AIMsi"

Pros: One of the best POS programs I have ever used. The inventory modules are the best for inventory control. AIMsi makes my bookkeeping a breeze, and the tech support is the greatest. There's no long wait time, and the staff is very professional and helpful. I love this and advise anybody in all retail fields to purchase this program and tech support.

Cons: Great product. I don't have one bad thing to say about AIMsi's programs.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2014
Dyal A.
    1.5 /5
    1.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"Good product - Bad Service"

Pros: The actual product is pretty good. There are things about it that are far more intuitive than what we were using previously, which is why we chose this system.

Cons: Once we completed the purchase, the dumped a bunch of documentation on us and did a quick training on basic functionality. Then we never heard from them again. We had to figure out on our own how to install, transfer data, etc. When we asked for more service, we got a lot of blowback and were told "You had training; you should be asking us when you need help." The problem is that we don't know what we're doing, so how do we know that we need help until we actually run into an issue? When we did ask for help (I repeatedly asked for a checklist of items that need to be completed prior to launch), I never heard back on any of my requests. I think there should be both an account executive and a tech support person assigned to the account that take you from purchase to launch. That way, you aren't dealing with multiple support people who aren't familiar with your case.

Steve G.
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2014

"We have used this software in a music store application for 20 years"

Pros: The software is very powerful with lots of options for reports. Tri-Tech has worked hard to solve all our issues. The tech support has been very friendly when working on issues. If a tech does not have an answer, they will follow up with a colleague to get an answer.

Cons: There are a few issues that are still being worked out. If somebody pays extra on their rental to pay it off sooner, there is not a good way to put that extra money in as deposit. If there is a problem after hours or on weekends, there is nobody there to answer those questions or fix those problems.

• Reviewed on 09/09/2014
Christopher L.
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"Far from perfect, but gets the job done."

Pros: It's a pretty straightforward POS interface. It's easy to learn. Tech support is available if you have an issue.

Cons: It has the tendency to lock up and crash for random (but sometimes predictable) reasons. This has improved with the release of later versions, but it still is an issue. If you're not a strong computer-person, you can spend considerable amounts of time trying to get AIMsi to do a particular thing. The user manual isn't comprehensive. Different windows contain fields which have no explanation for their use.

Robert W.
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2016

"My 6 month's experience"

Pros: I purchased the program so I could track serial numbers of musical instruments in the repair module. Also, I wanted a program that was capable of renting instruments. The more I work with the program, the more I find things unexpectedly - and the more I like it.
The vendor has been exceptional with their help in getting me started.

Cons: I find the account reconciliation section a little confusing. Not so much in balancing, but the information displayed. I can see where the program is designed for an individual with accounting experience, but for the lay person its difficult to understand.
I can't say anything negative about the vendor. They've been very helpful.

• Reviewed on 24/05/2016
Debra K.
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"Tri-Technical Systems and AIMsi are the Best!"

Pros: AIMsi does everything we need it to do for our music store, and Tri-Technical Systems is always open to ideas and special needs that arise. The people are friendly and knowledgeable, and if they don't know the answer (which is rare), they find out in short order.

Cons: That items entered into a purchase order get alphabetized automatically.

Brad J.
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2014

"It is our POS, inventory, and online presence software."

Pros: The front-end POS part of the software is quick and user-friendly. The same can be said for inventory entry and maintenance. Tech support has always been very good and surprisingly fast.

Cons: Reports are limited and occasionally difficult to create as desired. The website integration, while easy-to-use, is very limited in its visual layout options.

Josh M.
Operations Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/05/2018

"Solid Client Server System"

Pros: Stable. Intuitive. Love the customized improvements. Strong Analytics. Very simple operating system.

Cons: Lacks some integrations with websites that we use. Limited merchant services. Support is not available after hours.

• Reviewed on 11/05/2018
Zach H.
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2014

"From a 10-year AIMsi user"

Pros: It's feature-loaded: proper inventory management, lesson scheduling features, rental programs, and much more. This software is much more than just POS software.

Cons: We experience frequent software shutdowns, though not daily. It is a nuisance when thing will freeze up for no reason or a error will pop up, and you will be forced to restart your software.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2014
Johnathon R.
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2017

"Recommended Product"

Comments: I purchased this software and have used it 3 years now. It is a lot of setup at first and takes some time to navigate but overall its really helped in my business and I don't even use a fraction of the features.

Cons: Extensive Setup

• Reviewed on 19/01/2017
Joshua F.
Retail, Self Employed
    2.5 /5

"Very Intelligent"

Pros: I like the fact that you can call customer support at any time and get assistance.

Cons: Sometimes, it's too complicated for our needs. It's not able to split invoices between two or more credit cards.

by N/A on 16/09/2014

AIMsi does allow for the usage of multiple credit cards for payment; however, the receipt currently only prints one signature line. We notified Joshua that this is being changed in an upgrade to print a signature line for each card used.

Donovan B.
  • Reviewed on 08/09/2014

"Tri-Technical Systems AIMsi - POS & Inventory Control Software"

Pros: I'm a music instrument retailer, and AIMsi covers every aspect of my business.

Cons: Because the software is so powerful, the learning curve is more difficult than something like Square. Also, the database technology is dated and somewhat limiting compared to the newer platforms.

• Reviewed on 08/09/2014
Nick I.
Associate Director of Computer Information System
  • Reviewed on 24/02/2015

"NICC / AIMsi"

Comments: Great application, great system; I love it.
Pros: open fast, many shortcuts, easy to use, outstanding Technology Support Staff.
Cons: not enough training built into the application package price; which is actually a great deal compared with many other POS applications on the market. One hour is not enough for the future POS system users to understand the POS environment especially the individuals that never handled computing devices in the past.

• Reviewed on 24/02/2015
Joshua M.
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2014

"My review of AIMsi"

Pros: AIMsi is efficient in keeping track of music products, such as serialized instruments and their accessories.

Cons: The Active E system runs a little slow, at least in our business.

• Reviewed on 28/10/2014