• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.4 /5

About Schoology

Schoology, a PowerSchool company, is the education technology company putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience.

Learn more about Schoology

Brian H.
Graduate Student (MBA)
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2019

"Engagement Promotes Student Retention"

Comments: While Facebook has had some bad press regarding privacy here lately, the overall impact and popularity of social media in general and Facebook in particular is undeniable and has become a permanent part of online culture. Why? Because Facebook is, by design, set up in such a manner that it is both extraordinarily easy to use and navigate around, and because it has a well-documented tendency to "suck you in" - it keeps you engaged with the platform. It's easy. It's interesting. It's fun. It's entertainment. So what does that have to do with Schoology, you ask? Immediately after registering for my Schoology account provided by my grad school (MBA student), I was very surprised to see what looked and felt just like Facebook, but with an academic focus. The main feature is the user's feed, which looked and felt exactly like any social media feed. It contained posts from the school admin and financial aid, posts from instructors with information, videos, etc., pertinent to the current material, and posts from fellow classmates asking questions so classmates and the instructor could all interact on the thread. Users are able to "Like" a post or even direct message others in a private, Messenger-style chat feature. Surrounding the feed are links to everything the student needs for college success, from financial aid to wellness. Simply put, Schoology's brilliant adaptation of a popular technology makes studying easy, interesting, fun, and entertaining.

Pros: Schoology is academia's answer for engaging with today's social media obsessed generation of students.

Cons: I can virtually ALWAYS come up with something that I didn't like, Schoology however is one of those few exceptions. For the sake of entering a "con" however, I will say the one lacking feature I did wish users had would be an option to switch from the blaring white to a dark mode type theme. Helpful for battery life when using mobile devices and also more conducive for night-time study and eye health. After all, many students are working while studying, leaving night time as their only option to get their classwork done.

• Reviewed on 20/08/2019
William I.
Schoology Administrator
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 09/11/2015

"Communicate, Question, Appreciate"

Pros: As a vendor, Schoology is top notch. I feel like the crew there is an extension of my immediate work group. Everyone at Support, our Account Manager, and especially their PD team are friendly and professional. I follow many of them on Twitter and we share ideas and thoughts on the product. I'm thankful for their responsiveness and their authenticity about not being able to do everything at all times, but to hear all concerns and appropriately triage them for the product's future. The product is very clean and straightforward. I am a system administrator for our institution, so I am always poking around in the nitty gritty. I may be the sole user at our institution that uses as many aspects of Schoology as I do. From course level settings, to groups, to system wide, I am all over the product and I heartily give my approval. I can navigate through the product with ease and can easily lead others in doing the same. I support our faculty and students on using the product, so it's great to know when I point them to a feature that it will always look and operate the same. I might say that is the BEST part of the product: the uniformity. We previously used Moodle, and our setup was not uniform. Thankfully, Schoology is.

Cons: The product is young and still catered towards the K12 environment. The language, the features, and the community of users are primarily K12. While that's not a big deal, it can often make community events or new features irrelevant to the higher ed environment.
The only other downside is that there are not many settings for students with special needs. It is often clunky to create workarounds to accommodate students who need more time in quizzes or struggle to access media content.

• Reviewed on 09/11/2015
Justin H.
Coordinator, Office of Teaching Effectiveness
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2018

"Schoology - Empowering Blended Learning"

Comments: Schoology has transformed my own teaching and assessment strategies, and I have seen it greatly impact the classrooms of my colleagues. It remains one of my top recommendations for any educators across the educational technology spectrum.

Pros: Schoology's greatest asset is its ease of use. When my institution adopted Schoology as the LMS (to replace a previous, more complicated LMS), we saw a 2/3 increase in active users, effectively transforming our classrooms. Schoology excels at communication (to your entire course, co-workers, or individual students) compared to other learning management systems. Additionally, schoology is an LMS visibly built around a learning centered classroom, unlike the obvious content-centered approach favored by prominent, older learning management systems.

Cons: Schoology's ease of use does mean some loss of complicated features. At first glance, schoology has a smaller feature set than some LMS's. However, if you are willing to be creative, the platform engages very cleanly with third party tools to accomplish any functionality that may have been lost.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2018
Director Of Administration
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"Connect Learners and Content via Schoology"

Comments: Schoology has been essential in our school's mission to be more agile and flexible when thinking about how we schedule and deliver courses to students. It is a major component of our success in meeting our goals.

Pros: Schoology is a turn-key solution for any school, college, university looking to deploy blended/hybrid learning or develop online courses. Schoology allows for increased communication, collaboration, and connectedness among your class, content, and students. It is extremely easy to use, set up, and navigate for both instructors and students. Its integration with both Google and Microsoft365 increase the efficiency of assignment collection and grading than ever possible in a class without a Learning Management System. Schoology also provides a free version of their platform for teachers who may not be within an organization able to fund the full Enterprise version.

Cons: Schoology needs to devote more of its engineers to expanding the platforms LTI integrations and UI to surpass its competitors.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2019
Danielle O.
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2020

"Excellent LMS for Middle School"

Comments: I enjoy using Schoology to provide resources for my students to use both in the classroom and outside. It is fairly easy to use, but can sometimes be time-consuming. The integration with G Suite is beneficial with reducing the time needed to edit content in multiple classes. It is easy for students to navigate and undersatnd.

Pros: I like the ease with which students can navigate the platform and the way that it houses everything that students use. I also like the ability to collaborate with colleagues to create activities/assessments together and share then easily with each other. I also like that it enables you to provide feedback for students on assignments and communicate directly with students.

Cons: There are some features (feedback for the new assessments, reporting features for the gradebook) that are missing that would be really helpful, particularly for remote learning.

• Reviewed on 13/07/2020
Ruth D.
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/09/2019

"Schoology Makes Teaching Easier"

Comments: I have saved so much paper by moving to giving and receiving homework assignments through Schoology.

Pros: I use Schoology on a daily basis. I am a big fan. I love everything that it has to offer. I assign all homework assignments through Schoology and expect my students to submit their assignments through Schoology. It's very easy to upload an assignment and to go through the submitted assignments. I also appreciate the Resources tab, which allows to to upload files, links, and more, making it easy for me to pull up materials I need to use in class.

Cons: I really like this software and it has made my life much easier as a teacher. The only function I wish it had would be the ability to schedule publishing of an assignment. Right now I have to manually publish an assignment when I want it to appear to my students.

• Reviewed on 19/09/2019
Elizabeth R.
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/09/2018

"Why even look at another LMS? Schoology is hands down the top choice!"

Comments: I have been using Schoology as a classroom teacher and teacher trainer for over 3 years now. I am always amazed when I see other LMS and how it compares to Schoology. It is a such a great tool to personalize and enhance learning for both teachers and students. There are wide variety of features that make Schoology the top choice for all different learners- opportunities for enrichment, individually assigned tasks, language translation, and places for students to post and share their work.

Pros: - Customer Service is amazing and quick
- Easily integrates with our SIS
- Ability to share resources with other teachers
- easy interface for secondary students with multiple courses

Cons: - there were a few updates I did not love- the "top 12" for courses, opening links in the same window instead of a new window

• Reviewed on 14/09/2018
Steven S.
Educator
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Great for Fast Feedback"

Comments: It allows me to get fast feedback from students in the form of quizzes.

Pros: The ease of use for myself when uploading or creating quizzes and for students when taking tests or engaging in discussions online . I also like the function that allows students to see the correct answer to questions once they have submitted their quiz.

Cons: When grading short answer essay questions, there are too many steps to get to the question and it slows down the immediacy of my responses.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Kyle M.
Director of Operations
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2016

"Your students and faculty will actually use Schoology!"

Pros: Schoology offers both a free and enterprise (paid) version. Our school of 600 has been using the free version for 3 years and it is still working great! In talking with a Schoology rep, they mentioned that 80% of the functionality of Schoology is available for free. After going through the Schoology Enterprise demo, I would agree. The main things the free version lacks is in the area of custom branding, administrative permissions, high level analytics, video conferencing, various integrations, and open APIs. Each of our instructors sets up their own course and students can log in and take our courses from anywhere they have Internet. We have used Schoology in Spanish, Portuguese, and English. The free iPhone, iPad, and Android apps works great.

Cons: The site occasionally cuts out due to maintenance and does not automatically refresh.

• Reviewed on 09/08/2016
Janie W.
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2020

"Schoology Review from a Teacher Perspective"

Pros: I like that student's are able to access course information and materials for all of their courses in a single place. I use the assessment feature daily for quick checks of students' learning and it is nice to get instant data.

Cons: The learning curve to using the software is quite steep for those not technologically inclined. It takes several steps to upload documents. As a math teacher inputting equations is quite lengthy, but this is true of all software at this point.

• Reviewed on 18/02/2020
Sean C.
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/07/2020

"Still the best"

Pros: We have been using Schoology for years now and continue to enjoy its stellar level of interoperability and ease of use for students and their families.

Cons: I am still amazed at the different aspects and attributes available to us. However, with the recent merger, the conferencing app is not available. However, because the firm has an amazing level of customer support, I was able to chat with someone with my concern and they are working on it now.

• Reviewed on 03/07/2020
Mike W.
Director of Enrollment and Community Development
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2020

"Schoology Helps Us Educate"

Comments: We are able to show students that they can access all their resources, interact with staff and teachers while accomplishing homework tasks in an app format, web-based and overall on the go!

Pros: We are able to educate so many students in a comprehensive way and make it clear what tasks are left to do.

Cons: I do wish that the communication channels would be more flexible for formatting purposes. It feels more like simple text.

• Reviewed on 03/04/2020
David L.
Curriculum Specialist
  • Reviewed on 02/11/2019

"Learning management system"

Comments: Schoology allows our school to link assessments to standards. This makes it easy for our staff to identify struggling concepts.

Pros: Our teachers love that they can post assignments on schoology and have their students email it back to them. It also allows them to organize their materials in folders, which makes accessing important documents easy.

Cons: Schoology is a great learning management system.

• Reviewed on 02/11/2019
Hope E.
Instructional Technology Coach
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2017

"We have been using Schoology as our LMS for two years"

Comments: We are a 1:1 district and this product gave us the capability to fully integrate our technology in a meaningful way that still focused on the curriculum.

Pros: Schoology is intuitive and it is ever-evolving. It is one of the only LMS's that will work for grades K-12.

Cons: I wish that they had an add on feature for it to be an SIS so it could be a total one stop shop. The gradebook will not fit into one screen. You must still scroll up and down and side to side.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2017
Marisa M.
  • Reviewed on 19/01/2017

"Schoology & All It's glory: An educators perspective"

Comments: In my 4th year of teaching, my school district made staff aware of Schoology. As someone who taught in a computer lab, the LMS was fairly easy to incorporate. I shared content with my neighbor and together we began building our course splitting the workload. The use of groups and groups resources was probably the best part of teaching that year. We easily shared assignments, quizzes, vocabulary etc...By the time we started the next school year, our course was completely built, with a few tweaks, given feedback we had literally planned the entire 1st semester in the first 2 days of in-service. In addition with the integration of the content's vocabulary right into schoology (quizlet) we were able to manage our "bell ringers" which were study opportunities for students. Students quiz grades began to rise , and I observed positive study habits occurring. The instant feedback also helped with students. In addition my time spent grading was greatly reduced. I introduced rubrics which were very easy to use and share with my colleague.
Overall I believe Schoology to be a great resource for educators. Some things that set it apart from other LMSs:
PLC groups
Post questions or concerns and quickly hear from educators around the world.
Immediate Feedback for students
Save Collaborative ways for students to learn and engage
Built in App intergration
Shared resources & Public Resources
Some items that still need work:
Discussions between all courses instead of just sections
Portfolios/Media Albums : needs to be more interactive, more robust

Professor
E-Learning, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"The Best LMS"

Comments: Highly recommend this learning management system. It is the best at this point in time.

Pros: This is a great LMS, the best right now in my opinion. The design is great and easy to navigate with little instruction.

Cons: I would like a better option than the existing one for real time meeting. At this point there is an option but it has delays and other problems.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Julie L.
Computer Science Teacher
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2020

"Schoology!"

Pros: I like having grades and all documents in one location. It is a great Learning Management System.

Cons: Sometimes the set-up can be tedius at the beginning of each semester. In addition, there are steps that have to be done several times.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2020
Rebecca C.
instructional coach
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Great Platform for Classrooms/Schools"

Comments: Overall, this has helped me solve my classroom organization issues. Instead of students having multiple folders that they're bringing home- I am able to post all of their assignments/materials on Schoology. Parents have access to it, too. They also access their grades on this platform. It allows things to be very clear and organized for our students and families.

Pros: I loved that you could really personalize the platform to your needs. As an upper elementary teacher, there are specific things I wanted to be able to do... for example... post a calendar, assignments, discussions, directions, etc. I was able to post this all in one platform for my students and families to access. I loved that I could create groups and organize materials in specific ways.

Cons: At this time I do not have any cons, I am still learning the different features with Schoology but I do not have any complaints. It is user friendly and pretty clear- if I have questions, a quick google search usually allows me to answer my question quickly.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
Daniel C.
  • Reviewed on 13/02/2018

"Easy to store and edit assignments and quizzes."

Comments: Reduced time required to grade assignments.

Pros: I like the variety of questions that can be asked in a single homework/quiz assignment. Some question work well as multiple choice, but I also use ordering, fill in the blank and essay questions when they are more appropriate.

Cons: Editing one assignment for use in another class or unit is challenging as I am not able to select multiple questions at one time to remove. Selecting and removing one at a time with confirmation is very clunky.

• Reviewed on 13/02/2018
Kleo G.
Supervisor of Mathematics & Data-Driven Instruction
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/05/2019

"Online Learning & Staying Connected"

Pros: This is extremely easy to use and is very intuitive. I often think of something I would like to do on Schoology and so far it's been able to deliver on everything. I've used it to share information with a few groups I belong to and I've used it to conduct a course. Both experiences have been extremely positive.

Cons: We share resources in one of the groups that I belong to and sometimes the file name doesn't inform you enough or file names are similar. I often think it would be nice to have a tile view that gave you a little picture of the file so you wouldn't have to open and close files until you find the right one.

• Reviewed on 02/05/2019
Alicia N.
teacher
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2017

"Schoology has created an efficient, more effective classroom for me."

Comments: It creates an organized blended learning environment. It makes learning more efficient and communication with families more available. Getting more people in our school to use it and finding time to share all the features that are available because there are so many.

Pros: The access for students, teachers, and parents along with the multiple ways to post things and communicate.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2017
Liz L.
Coordinator of Online Learning & Technology Integration
201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2017

"Schoology is easy to use to create a powerful, engaging experience for students."

Pros: It is extremely easy to use. Students didn't need "training" on how to use the platform, it was very intuitive. There are multiple ways to engage students.

Cons: I have only gotten frustrated because they still use Flash for their video recording. This should definitely be a priority for Schoology.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2017
Gregg L.
Helpdsk
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2018

"Schoology"

Pros: The software has come along way since the original inception. It has many features that have expanded over the years and seem to continue to expand.

Cons: There are some shortage in the areas of the students interfaces, the parent portal has some confusing points to look at.

• Reviewed on 23/12/2018
Kelsey E.
  • Reviewed on 06/06/2018

"Schoology is like facebook for students. They have classes and groups they can join."

Pros: It is a great place for me to communicate with students and for them to communicate with each other if they have questions.

Cons: There are certain features that are not user-friendly, but usually, if you communicate with the company they will make changes

• Reviewed on 06/06/2018
Jesse P.
Software Specialist
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/04/2018

"Schoology"

Pros: Great for secondary with gradebook, tests and assignments.
Support is helpful and willing to assist in issues.

Cons: Elementary struggles to find use out of it due to students systems they use and integration.
Integration in some systems could be improved.

• Reviewed on 22/04/2018