15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About M-Files

Knowledge work automation platform that enables you to find information faster, work smarter, and achieve more.

Learn more about M-Files

Pros:

I liked that based on that it sorts documents by it self.

Cons:

Typical for some IT-solutions: "almost anything can be done with M-Files. Takes away focus of what problem exactly is solved with M-files.

M-Files ratings

4.1
4.1
4.2
4.2

7.8/10

M-Files has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 182 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used M-Files before?

Clarwin
Clarwin
IT Services Manager in Philippines

Go-to application for any Digitization Project

Comments: M-files is a must for any company seeking to implement digital transformation initiatives in their company. I love best is its extensive feature set and seamless integration with Microsoft products (e.g., office, IIS server, MS SQL, Windows, etc.) The workflow feature is easy to customize, setup, and implement. It will change the way you deal with paper documents once you experience how easy it is to digitize, and manage your documents. The OCR functionality is a beast! Just like having Google on your local repository, reading through the very contents of your digital documents.

Pros:

The thing I like the most is the seamless integration with Microsoft products. This made it easy for implementing the use of M-files into our office workflow (it works well from within Outlook, Microsoft Office, even Windows Explorer). The creation of a Workflow is made very easy via a graphical workflow editor. Just a little learning curve and we are able to setup the different manual processes into a solid digital workflow for the office (e.g., filing for leave, routing of papers for approval, storing scanned copies of contracts and any kind of document in the office).

Cons:

When implementing on a large scale (e.g., company-wide) we really had to sit down and plan out our licensing arrangement. Note that M-Files comes in a variety of licensing options (e.g., read-only, named user, concurrent user). Some offices can possibly share licenses (but number of active sessions will be limited). Planning out the best license option is quite a task since we were woking on a limited buget and we had to optimize the value-for-money setup we can have. It can also be a bit overwhelming for new users. We had a bit of difficulty in the deployment since we had to train all the users (who found it not so intuitive at first). But then, after the training, it has then been integrated well for our daily use.

Systems Analyst in Canada
Construction, 51–200 Employees

ISO Optimized DMS Software

Pros:

With our company looking to become ISO certified, we knew that a proper DMS/QMS system would be required within our company. After multiple meetings, we decided on M-Files as it provided the easiest integration into our current system, and increased our security control for all documents within our company. We now have the ability to control change management, document approval process, SOP reviews, etc. efficiently and effectively

Cons:

It can be confusing at first with having to 'check out' a document from M-Files to review and/or edit. Once complete, you check it back in which will change the version number of the file. Once figured out, all of our documents are now properly maintained.

Abhijit
IT HEAD in India
Oil & Energy, 501–1,000 Employees

Very Comprehensive Solution

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: As an user from India, I can say a direct sales and support channel is the need of the hour. Industries are struggling to finalize on proper solution for secure file sharing and workflow management.

Pros:

Well Designed. User Interface is really good. Once trained it is easy to managed. Very secure. After the initial hiccups of implementation it was a breeze to work with the solution.

Cons:

I am struggling to get proper support in INDIA. Feel handicapped as we are forced to depend on their partners. They simply refuse to even realize the urgency of the client issues.

2 days ago

Dear Abhijit, Thank you for your feedback. We’re delighted to hear that you find our solution well-designed, user-friendly, and secure, and that it has been smooth to work with after the initial implementation. However, we are genuinely sorry to learn about your dissatisfaction with the support in India. We understand the importance of timely and effective support, especially for urgent issues. We are familiar with your situation and have communicated with our M-Files partner involved. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and for choosing M-Files. Best regards, The M-Files team

Security & Investigations, 201–500 Employees

Expensive, bad documentation, no debugging capability and bad support from the vendor

Comments: We are a german company that uses M-Files for some years. I'm the poor guy that has to configure the backend/server side.
The basic functions are easy to setup, once installed, the server and client side runs well. The basic idea is easy to understand, documents belongs to classes ans has class-specific metadata attributes like "telephone number". Attributes can be linked to other objects... fine!
What makes me sleepless nights is, that if the implementation of a little bit more complex things like right structures, workflows with many steps e.g., you're totally lost with M-Files.
There are some different documentation pdfs, describing just the basic functionality - WITHOUT CLEAR EXAMPLES.
There's the possibility to submit tickets (if you have a support contract). This tickets are answered after some days by (asian?) supporters. There's a lot of mail-overhead just to desribe the problem. In most cases the supporters does not respond to the concrete problem. The do'n offer, for example, a short teamviewer session to solve the problem on the customers system. That's can not be calles good support!
M-Files provides the possibility to write own (visual basic) code, triggered by event handlers. This code can be written to a empty white editor (without any debug possibilities, or any kind of help to the programmer) on the server side. Notepad.exe provides more features! No Breapoints, no debug log output, the only way to debug own code is to rise exceptions that blows the script. That is 1983, not 2017! The API functions are not nice encapsulated, it's a nightmare to wirte own code...but required often - to customize and build workarounds for missing functionality.
Logging in general...not nice. There's a "event log" on the server side. Some basic events are logged here, for example login, logout, document checkout... But it's not very detailed! If somethin went wrong, it's not written there. Maaan!
The user frontend (windows client) looks nice and works well. The server side looks also nice on the first view, but many "nice" features are not implemented. Lists of 300+ Users... no search field, no possibility to select 5 people and delete them, you have to do tis one by one...
I hope this (view from the administration part) gives you a small impression of the daily work. M-Files seems to spend a lot of money in marketing an nice small videos to bring the CEO to buy the product, but where are the videos describing the rights structure from the technical side? Nope!

Pros:

- Usefull user interface on the client side - Good basic structure

Cons:

- Expensive - Very bad support - Bad documentation - No usefull examples - Not self-explaining to the adminsitrator

IT Project Manager in Philippines
Investment Management, 501–1,000 Employees

One Place for All Document Types

Comments: M-files was a great tool to create one common space for us to store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online. Workflow are next, but we're still securing more funding given the new pricing model.

Pros:

Our office being limited with space has decided to keep tidy and lean by going digital. We tried M-files because it has good reviews, good recommendations from industry partners, and it has been receiving awards as well. So far, so good. After manual scanning, we upload our files into the M-files vault and everything is securely stored and easily accessible in one place. Searching for the file you need is easy because M-Files makes searching via metadata, and also not by location logic, but by what the document you're looking for is. Workflows is another reason we took M-Files in. We played around with it and it really is easy to create workflows via the graphical logic setup screen. Even the non-technical staff understands how the design works because it is pretty intuitive and straight-forward.

Cons:

M-Files has changed its delivery and pricing model. We have a perpetual license for 2018, but it turns out we need to upgrade into the subscription model for M-Files 2019 in order to continue receiving the updates, upgrades, and customer support. Since we have not yet upgraded, we are put on hold in terms of implementing our digital workflows. Now we're just waiting for the next budget season and release to upgrade.

5 years ago

Hi David, Thank you for sharing about your experiences using M-Files with others on Capterra. It is rewarding to hear that M-Files has helped your business with its digital transformation and that you are realizing improvements in the way that your staff store, share, and retrieve documents and digital assets online. I am confident that when you are ready to upgrade to M-Files Online that your company will see the value in having immediate access to product improvements and new capabilities. Please feel free to reach out or visit our customer portal should you have any questions or if we can be of assistance to you.

Çağrı
Çağrı
Engineer in Türkiye
Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Good For Data Storage But It Needs To Be Faster To Allow User Better Experience"

Comments: I have been using this software for 2 years.We were storing the working documets to another sharefolder. First feeling was there was no folder structer and user interface is not familliar as we were using before. But I would like to add using M-files Software has increased our storage capacity. It also helps data transmits when someone left the company.We have started to eliminate know-how lost in company .Addition to this I feel working with this softare may be time consumer.M-Files team needs to improve the infterface and needs to make the software more user friendly

Pros:

I woudl say the most I like about the M-Files is ensuring security to the companies for working in bussiness.M files eliminating the data transfer and data leak to 3rd party companies which are not allowed to Access the data. Other think I like at it is integrated and working pretty fine with Microsoft Office softwares .It aslo makes our business efficiency great

Cons:

What I dislike about the M-Files is User interface quite diffuclt to get used .They need to impove as well. One other thing check in and check out to folder requires additional tasks and reminders to proceed with document.It decreases work efficiency dramaticaly

4 years ago

We appreciate your candid response regarding your experience with M-Files. Would you be open to discuss in more detail? If so, please feel free to contact me as my contact information can be found below.

Willem
Willem
Frontend Chapter Lead in New Zealand
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

The best and online data storage repository

Comments: The M-files tool is more costly. The pricing model must be modified; we're still hoping to secure more funding. What I don't like about the M-Files is how difficult it is to get used to the user interface: it must be improved. Anyone who needs to collaborate with others on documents and provide information should have M-files software on hand. M-files is an excellent tool for consolidating online storage, sharing, and retrieval of papers and digital content.

Pros:

The seamless interaction with Microsoft programs is the best-ever feature. This made incorporating the use of M-files into our office routine a breeze. A simple and intuitive graphical workflow designer is also my favorite which makes creating a workflow a little simpler. We were able to set up procedures for modification management and new data management with M-Files.

Cons:

We experienced some challenges with the rollout because we had to coach all of the customers, especially those who found it not so easy to use and clean at first.

Josemaria
Josemaria
Vice Director for External Affairs in Philippines

50-year-old Archives... digitized!

Comments: M-Files is our repository of choice for all our digital assets. The M-Files server is secure, robust, and easy to manage. Files may be accessed via the main software, via an app, or even via a web browser. Plus, digital workflows have changed the way we work on documents, making it more streamlined, and efficient. We are confident that our archives and new files are safe from theft, loss, and unauthorized access.

Pros:

M-files works seamlessly with Microsoft products (Windows Explorer, MS Office) which makes it easy to incorporate into our daily workflow. Our filing cabinet with 50 years worth of archives/documents have been digitally scanned recently, and M-files is our DMS of choice because of ease of use, integration with MS Office, secure vault features, OCR and powerful metadata tagging. Workflow design and implementation are easy since it is done via an intuitive graphical interface.

Cons:

Licenses do not come cheap. Just make sure to figure out the best possible license type to your use-case (e.g., Concurrent for offices which can share licenses).

Amanda
Amanda
Recruitment Executive in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 501–1,000 Employees

Perfectly developed product with so many useful features

Comments: The interface of the product is quite effective in doing daily task work and also helps me in to understand all the features better. This solution suits every type of organization whatever their size and resources will be.

Pros:

For me to work with full integrity and also it assures the safety and security of my documents to a larger extent. I really like its search bar that allows me to search each and every document from my system with huge ease and also it provides me a great help in sharing my documents to anyone anywhere in the world.

Cons:

It has been the excellent tool with skilled customer response. I have experienced its support they are really professional and intelligent while resolving our problems. Honestly there is nothing to dislike here.

4 years ago

Hello Amanda, we appreciate you taking time to complete the survey regarding your experience with M-Files. Very happy to hear that you find value with our product!

Tair
Associate Director in Australia
Accounting, 10,000+ Employees

M files review

5.0 6 days ago New

Comments: Overall positive experience using the software

Pros:

It was easy to use the software to finalise the archiving the data

Cons:

Nothing really was difficult, maybe only a bit more detailed instruction for specific requests

Software Developer in US
Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

Great Document Management System with lacking support

Comments: M-Files is really a great Document Management System with many features, yet easy to use for the end-user. It has advances features like data synchronization between locations, as well as connecting to external databases and support for Dynamics 365. The workflow builder allows a lot of flexibility as well.
The only downside is the support. Over the years, the US office has deteriorated. In the first years, there were resources in the US office from Finland. Great consultants that assisted us in setting up the original deployment (that was 5 years ago). But in recent years, the US office doesn't seem to know much about the product and they've devolved into a sales office without technical expertise.
So if you are buying the software in the US and need something customized, be prepared to figure everything out by yourself. You will not get help in the US timezone.

Pros:

- User-friendly for end-user - Blows SharePoint out of the water - Highly customizable on the back-end (custom workflows, external database connections)

Cons:

- US based technical support is non-existent - M-Files will respond immediately if you want to purchase more licenses, but when there is a problem I can't get any support - Once had a call with a "senior" M-Files consultant that had been with the company for 3 months(!) Needless to say, he had no clue what I was talking about. That was the last time I engaged M-Files for paid for consulting hours.

7 years ago

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback. We love it when our customers have such great things to say about the solution. We also appreciate the comments about your experience with the consulting team. We have shared that feedback and will reach out to you directly.

Sarah
Records Administrator in Canada
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201–500 Employees

Wish we had M-files sooner!

Comments: I've been working with M-files for 2 years now and I can't imagine my professional life without it. I am the Records Administrator for my organization and therefore my concern lies in retaining record history and valuable documents. Of course this is facilitated through comprehensive database searches. I have appreciated the ease of use in the M-files interface and the various features that we now have for documents that simply were not present in traditional folder structures. I've trained close to 100 colleagues on this software with great success. M-files does an exceptional job of allowing everyone to work in a way that is natural and comfortable to them, while simultaneously allowing everyone to collaborate, work together, and find each other's documents.

Pros:

-ease of searching -customize features -document version ability -youtube videos

Cons:

-the biggest delay in rolling out M-files to our organization was that there was no model in which to consult. No prescribed list of document types or a model to play with. -From a records point of view, document retention should be built in somehow. We create thousands of documents daily and while some are permanent retention, most are transitory and should have a review process. I've been left to conduct record audits and manually determine record value based on a number of factors of the documents.

Steen
CEO in Denmark
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Tremendous value from using M-Files

Comments: Solution Management is a software reselling company. We use M-Files to manage documents and as our CRM system managing the full sales cycle with lead generation, opportunity management and communication with customers, contract management, all our projects, internal HR and finance management. Before M-Files we used traditional folders and Dropbox, but we suffered from not being able to find the correct versions of documents and made a lot of double work when making proposals, contracts etc. With M-Files we believe we have increased the value of our company by having all information assembled one place, using standard workflows for all processes including opportunity management, making proposals and contracts using templates and in general just being on top of all information in our company. M-Files gives really good value in terms of accessibility of information, security, functionality. If there is functionality you want different to what M-Files offer, you can in a controlled way develop scripts and applications giving you exactly what you want. We have used M-Files in 5 years, and it has never been unavailable. Top class simply.

Pros:

Functionality Stability Price Support Ease of use

Cons:

Cannot come up with something

Automotive, 10,000+ Employees

Drop your files into the M-files and edit/download from where you are...

Comments: M-files is a cloud based service for business environment. It provides data sharing and editing with your team & colleagues. It is very easy to share and work on a shared document. Check-in and check-out processes not so effective and easy but It is well-considered. It should be easy and fast to use it effectively.

Pros:

Data sharing is the main effective work of this tool. I can reach from anywhere to my files because it's a cloud based software.

Cons:

Some interface features and classfication selections are not so easy. It takes much more time to share some documents via e-mail or from another source. So it should be simplified some points like writing details of documents.

5 years ago

Hello and thank you for your review. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you as we take these surveys very serious. Can you please reach out to me as soon as possible with my provided contact information? I look forward to speaking with you and learning more about what we can do to simplify our process.

Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Great software, creates dependency

Comments: We solved the archiving and documents sorting problem, but for the price tag we had to give up using it.

Pros:

I liked that it makes archiving a lot easier, helps classifing documents easier and helps you find what you need faster. It uses a system based on metadata and words you introduce. I liked that based on that it sorts documents by it self.

Cons:

This software makes you dependent and if want to change it with another software it is almost impossible. If you want to switch, you need to reorganize your documents, and you need to take each one and rename it. This was my experience switching from M-Files to something else. To me, for what it offers, it's expensive.

4 years ago

Great to hear that M-Files helps you with archiving, classifying your documents and quickly locating your documents. Thank you for taking the time to complete the review.

Enrique
Manager of Salesforce and Metrics in US
Airlines/Aviation, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Flexjet / M-Files

Comments: Working with M-files has been very difficult. Their process is very slow. As a company we like to work fast and M-files has 10 steps of evalution versus just fixing the issue. The idea of resolving the issue is sending us articles for us to fix our issues. I really like the overall product but I am concerned when something breaks because it takes forever.

Pros:

The functionality of being able to store and find files is great for the price.

Cons:

Support and address issues is painful. Support is more about trying to find how the user created the problem than trying to address the problem. Support just needs to move faster.

7 years ago

Thank you for your feedback about our Customer Support team. While we do need to pinpoint root causes when troubleshooting, we will look for ways to expedite a solution more quickly. We have also passed along your comments highlighting a need for better Salesforce Connector expertise to our team.

Allan
Software Analyst in US
Chemicals, 51–200 Employees

Highly Recommended DMS

Comments: M-Files is highly flexible and can we easily customized to any needs you have. Most things done even need the assistance of a developer.
It is a very stable platform and we have nothing but good things to say.
Our organization is about 200 people and we use it for everything from HR documents to order and shipping related documents, as well as compliance documents and workflows.

Pros:

Flexibility, Very easy to learn, Minimal end user training needed, Major updates and features added twice a year. Smooth office integration, Easy to integrate with ERP databases, Many layers of security including encrypted SQL database.

Kat
Manager in Türkiye
Retail, 11–50 Employees

a software package that could be well-suited for certain users

Comments: M-Files is a very versatile software. When you learn how to use this tool effectively, there is no limit except your imagination.

Pros:

I love the way M-Files is constantly evolving. They are always adding new features and making improvements.

Cons:

The documentation is not always clear and helpful. Complex integrations could be a real headache if you fail to analyse the project very detailly in the very early stages.

Graham
Information Management Officer in Australia
Oil & Energy, 11–50 Employees

Feature packed product for a low price entry point

Comments: We reviewed many software providers before deciding on M-Files and it was a choice based on features, support and value for money. M-Files has become a valuable tool in our organisation. The ability to customise almost everything from the way it looks to the way it functions with workflows has really allowed us to solve a lot of issues we had with storing and retrieving our important documents and information. M-Files comes as a blank canvas, so it is important to look at the sample vault and then work with your channel partner to plan your deployment, but as you start to use it, you realise more and more that it can do. I would recommend this to any business looking to implement a DMS

Pros:

Easy to store information and allocate access to particular user groups Able to customise look Workflows are good

Cons:

Metacard config needs improvements to make it faster to use and organise Admin access needs more granularity.

Randy
Founder in US
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Support is always very frustrating!

Comments: I only call them a couple of times per year for support. But, every time I do I find tremendous resistance to help out. So, if you’re looking for excellent support, don’t buy M-Files!

Pros:

The program works well and helps our office to stay organized. We can quickly and easily find documents.

Cons:

But, support is always very frustrating, because they have a million rules of what they can or can’t do. The attitude is never – how can I help you?

Jenny
Quote Coordinator in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501–1,000 Employees

At first I was impressed by M-Files, but disapponted after using it

Pros:

Originally, it appeared to be very user friendly and I thought it would be a lot easier to use than our previous archive system.

Cons:

The search function is horrible. Previously we used Alchemy, which seemed pretty basic so when M-Files was introduced, I was excited to get into the new program. That is until I tried finding documents. When I try to search for a quote number, I get hundreds of results. If I want to refine my search I have to click on a bunch of stuff and then I still have to fish through the results to find what I am looking for.

Di
Managing Director in Australia
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Ajendico Pty Ltd

Comments: Took us a while to get the structure right and understand our choices but we had good training from our dealer. Once we got that right and locked out users so they could use the data but not update it and we controlled who could update and made sure they had appropriate training, it grew dramatically and is used heaps in our office

Pros:

I like the fact that we know where everything is in our office

Cons:

If you sold this to a site that is not disciplined at loading files, you could still get in a mess so it's the type of product that you need to play around with before going live to get the design right

Robert
IT Supervisor in Canada
Environmental Services, 201–500 Employees

IT Supervisor

Comments: Management of Change - Where M-Files users respond to a topic and must be current.
AutoCAD files dump into M-Files - Users can view documents about the factory.
Over all M-Files works well and a person is dumping AutoCAD files on a daily basis into M-Files. Dennis Street has helped with many questions. A good guy to deal with.

Pros:

Reliable, easy to use, a good database program.

Cons:

Nothing to mention

Benjamin
Engineer in Canada
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

M-Files more then a DMS

Comments: M-files as a object oriented approach that let you customize the software for any information that you want to manage, i worked with many other DMS and competitor could compete with m-files

Pros:

Very Flexible Easy to configure Workflow engine well design Pricing stucture make affordable for SMB or Entreprise

Cons:

API document not up to date

aballa
driver in Uganda
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

organise and store your files with M-files

Comments: using the application has helped to keep my documents securing with out worry of losing them

Pros:

M-file has good user interface and easy to use, i like it because it allows to organize and keep my files very well in most secure order

Cons:

Using the application needs internet connections and in areas with poor network it disturbs a lot to get your files hence making it not so reliable