FreeAgent Reviews

4.4 (134) Write a Review!

About FreeAgent

FreeAgent - Voted the UK’s #1 bookkeeping software and Client App of the Year 2021 at ICB Luca awards

Learn more about FreeAgent

Pros:

I also find that the whole thing is easy to use, from reconciling my bank accounts to sending out invoices. Plus they actually sort your taxes out (this might only be in the UK though).

FreeAgent ratings

4.3
4.4
4.3
4.2

8.6/10

FreeAgent has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 134 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used FreeAgent before?

Anne
Anne
Environmental Services

Makes bookkeeping easy for a novice, and still keeps an accountant happy

Comments: Saves me a whole lot of time, and helps me keep clear records for my accountant.

Pros:

At the moment it's free through my business banking account - I tried it because of this but it would definitely be worth paying for. I am relatively new to running a business and the software is very intuitive for a novice. My accountant is pretty happy with it too, so that's a big thumbs up! It makes invoicing and payment of exenses very easy, and is great for keeping track of money coming in/out and keeping an eye on invoices due for payment. Payroll is incorporated (you can file it with HMRC through FreeAgent or let your accountant do it separately). I also like the fact that it reminds me when my corporation tax and annual accounts are due. In a few clicks I can see my profit & loss account and my trial balance as well as spend in the different (customisable) categories. Really helps me keep on top of everything. The Android app is also great for reconciling payments and recording expenses on the move. The help files are fantastic, and the clear accounting descriptions and explanations make them a great resource for a small business even if you don't use the software.

Cons:

Exporting information is a bit tricky in some areas - you can get a pdf out quite easily but an xls or csv would be more useful (you can export the entire company dataset as a csv, but not filtered individual elements such as unpaid expenses or balances within individual accounts). In some cases you can get round this by cutting and pasting, but it's a bit fiddly. Exporting all company data does not export attachments - so you need to keep a separate copy of scanned receipts etc outside FreeAgent. It is one of the more expensive cloud accounting software packages out there, but I have looked at a whole range and you can't beat the functionality, so that's what you are paying for I guess!

5 years ago

Hi Anne, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear about the features you like using and we really appreciate your positive feedback. I'm also pleased to say that we are currently working on improving our exporting data feature, which will be released very soon. Thanks again for using FreeAgent, we really appreciate it! All the best, The FreeAgent Team

Ben
Owner in UK
Accounting, Self Employed

Affordable accounting software; good but needs a few tweaks to be great

Comments: Clients who have made the transition can be viewed on one dashboard, and makes managing client records much easier.

Pros:

Very easy to onboard clients; Linking bank accounts through open banking is straightforward and facility works well; Simple user interface makes it easy for novices to use; Very good customer support; Can be had for free of you use and RBS group bank account including Mettle; On the go invoicing is nice for some business as well as the expense logger

Cons:

Not as flexible as some accounting packages; a few of the facilities are still a work in progress and you need to do a workaround

Caleb
Managing Director in UK
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2-10 Employees

Accounting Simple & Affordable

5.0 last month New

Comments: Great experience, would definitely recommend to small businesses and freelancers!

Pros:

It's very user friendly. It's great for freelancers or small businesses that do a lot of their own bookkeeping and accounting. It simplifies things in a way to make it easy.

Cons:

The simplified software is great for basic transactions, but sometimes it would be better to have more customisation. There are fixed categories of expenses, so you can't create a custom one.

Accountant in UK
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Painful to use, Clunky and not great

Comments: Using the software was very awkward and restrictive. I lost confidence in it very early on.
My experience has been years of utter frustration.
Regular promises of fixes and upgrades never materialised over the last 3 years and despite sticking with it, and getting the software for free, I ended up having to opt for better software.
Customer services are quick to respond but they tend to misinterpret your issue. Their idea of helping is sending you a link to a long drawn out document that frustrates you even more than the original issue. Most of the issues can't be resolved by sympathetic customer support reps because they are hard-coded into the software as basic incapabilities.

Pros:

It's a Scottish company, albeit taken over by an anti-Scottish UK bank. Customer services are relatively quick to respond but don't often understand or resolve your issue. They do send you a Monday motivator which is useful. It's now free if you bank with RBS/Nat West, but I'd rather not bank with either and even at £0 it's not worth it. I'd rather pay for a decent software and save the cost of hours of inefficiency and extra accountancy fees later.

Cons:

It is very clunky and awkward to use. It is very expensive for what it is and definitely not even worth using for free. Several essential basic functions are missing and it is very restrictive/prescriptive forcing you to work their way or not at all. Customer services regularly have to fudge "workarounds" to fill the gaps in FreeAgent's basic functionality and often these "workarounds" make more mess than doing nothing, leaving you with more to pay your accountant to fix it. FreeAgent does several things in very unusual ways and then doesn't allow you to fix them. Payroll does post journals into your ledgers but even the best accountants can't make any sense of them. This software tries to be all things to small businesses giving tools that quite frankly are dangerous to unqualified accountants. It allows you to do your own VAT, Corporation Tax and Self Assessment wrongly, without any tax planning advice which could cost you tens of thousands of pounds in VAT/tax that isn't due, not to mention HMRC penalties etc. I know of several clients who have overpaid an absolute fortune and had seriously damaging run-ins with HMRC as a direct result of trying to DIY using this software. Buyer BEWARE!!!

4 years ago

Hi there, We¿re really sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and frustrations. If there's anything we can do to help improve your experience, or any additional feedback you'd like to share with us, please contact us at @[email protected] Warm regards, The FreeAgent Team

Bookkeeper in UK
Financial Services, Self Employed

Invaluable software

5.0 last week New

Comments: Very nervous at the start but great account manager and patient support team have been a massive help

Pros:

Easy to use. Easy to find what I want. Brilliant support

Cons:

There must be a downside but thankfully I have not found it yet

Facilities Services, 11-50 Employees

Highly recommended

Pros:

I got access to this software FREE of charge through banking with RBS. Having previously used Xero for our book-keeping, I found it had the same great functionality but a much slicker design. It's simplicity and ease of use is the best thing going for it.

Cons:

Had some issues at the beginning with connecting our bank feeds but this was sorted out quickly by the team at FreeAgent - can't think of any real faults with the software.

Emanuele
Emanuele
Consultant in UK

Overall

Pros:

Overall experience is good. It allows to better organised both my bookeeping but as well my employee work due to its usability. Love as well the API integration that allow me to create custom analysis.

Cons:

Too much focus on UK client. We are an Italian company and some of the functionality available for UK are really complex to achieve for us and required workaround. Billing only in 1 currency is crazy, why do you have invoice in multiple currency but billing cannot be done? It should be a simple addition to make but it has been year that people asked for this and still not implementation. Country specific payroll. Although I am aware it will be impossible to enable payroll for every country out of the box why don't allow customer to customized the payroll functionality to meet payroll requirements or add important deadline for taxing purpose. Even the export functionality can be improve and should be added to every areas from timesheet to bill, from invoice to expense with filter that allow you to specify the data you want to export. VAT calculation for Intrastat - due to the internationalisation of business should be easier to export only bill and invoice that are related to country outside your normal business area. What about language package? Again if not possibile provide an LDK that allow client to customize the interface.

Jago
Bookkeeper in UK
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Easy to use bookkeeping and accounting software for the small clients

5.0 last month New

Comments: I love FreeAgent and how we are treated as an accountancy practice by their team. Any issues we aver have are answered and they're are always new features being added. Whenever I find that I can't do something in FreeAgent, I'm always shown a way around it and for that I give 5 stars.

Pros:

It's very intuitive and has amazing support and training for us and our clients. We use this software for our smaller sole traders who find it really easy to use. We do most of the setup and they basically just invoice their clients using the mobile app :)

Cons:

Integrations are pretty non existent for a lot of apps. For example merging eBay or most till sales with FreeAgent can be quite difficult however this is overcome by using Zapier

Ryan
Owner in UK

Excellent Software Which Makes My Life Easier

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

The software has all the features I need to run my business. It has helped me save so much time preparing self assessment filings.

Cons:

The support documentation does contain some out of date screenshots and instructions.

Michele
Accountant in UK
Accounting, 11-50 Employees

Good product

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Good to be connected in real time data. No complaints.

Pros:

This product lets the client see information in real time. VAT submissions via MTD work well also.

Cons:

It can be a bit of trial and error finding the reports you need. But most are there.

Richard
The Boss in UK

Great for small business that want their weekend back

Comments: I've gone from from a struggle one man band that worked all day and did the paperwork each evening, to having time to spend with the family, and being able to see what I ned to pay to HMRC and when, and I can now see that sending out my invoices in good time, means that the customers are paying me, so the stress levels have gone down so much.

Pros:

I no longer have to nominate which computer is the one that the accounts is on. I can open a web browser on the PC in my home office and enter my hours, mileage, upload photos of receipts, automatially let it reconcile the bank and credit card statements, and let it get on with doing the calcuations. I no longer have to set aside a weekend each month for doing invoices and expenses. or the last weekend of each quarter for doing the VAT return or various days of the last month of each financial year for doing the annual return.

Cons:

Now that the company has made enough money to be able to purchase three cars, it would be nice if the mileage drop down had options for company owned vehicles and the AFR mileage rates, but it only has AMAP rates for personally owned bike, motorcycle or car.

Executive Creative Director in UK

Essential accounting software for any growing business

Pros:

We've been using Freeagent for over 5 years. In that time frame my company has grown from being a sole-trader to an incorporated limited company with employees. To say that Freeagent has helped facilitate that growth would be an understatement. We now use Freeagent for our VAT submission (saving us £200pq accountants fees), Payroll (saving us £10pm per employee), Sending out client estimates/invoices, and what we originally bought it for... Book keeping and accounting. We have Freeagent connected to our bank feeds, meaning we are only ever 24hrs out of date with our live bank accounts. This is now a common practice with similar software, but for us it came just at the right time. Their team of inhouse accountancy experts is also an incredible resource that we use around once a quarter, or whenever something new crops up that we might need some help with. We still use the skill of an account for filing our end of year accounts, but we could even do this with free agent.

Cons:

The one thing that has been a niggle like a tiny pebble in your shoe, or scratch on the roof of your mouth, is that you cannot send a remittance! Many people have requested this functionality but it has largely been ignored by the freeagent team. I have no idea whether it is a technical or philosophical reason they've just not engaged with it... If they did implement this functionality it would pretty much make it perfect for my companies needs.

Director in UK

Freeagent - simple and reliable accounting

Comments: Freeagent covers all our accounting and invoicing needs very well. We have tried one of the leading alternatives but came back as we were so pleased with it.

Pros:

The billing and invoicing functionality is a key feature of the product and works very well. They send a Monday motivator email summarising your agenda for the week on Monday mornings. This includes items such as unbilled hours logged, payments to approve and bills to chase or pay. MFA is supported for increased security.

Cons:

There are few things that I don't like to be honest, the only one that can be annoying is the bank feeds can sometimes be a little slow to show items. A manual refresh option for bank feed data would be useful.

Managing Director in UK
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2-10 Employees

Great accounting software

Comments: Very clean app gives good insights from the overview page.

Pros:

It's just so easy to use. We run our plumbing business with this app and it integrates well with Commusoft our field service management software reducing time spent double entering information and doing tasks like invoicing. Now we invoice and complete the job in Commusoft and it pushes al the relevant information to Freeagent.

Cons:

It only does CIS one way. As we have grown from a subcontractor into a contractor that now employs subcontractors we need a simple way to process CIS invoices from our SC's

4 years ago

Hi John, Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear how you and your business use FreeAgent. Thanks for the feedback about CIS too, we've passed it along to our product team. The FreeAgent Team

Graphic and Web Designer in UK

Magnificent Customer Support, Good Accounting System

Pros:

FreeAgent is more advanced than my previous service provider, Freshbooks. It allows me to handle the split between personal/business bank accounts and their expenses better and even submits my tax return to HMRC for me. The few times I've contacted their support, they have responded quickly, actually understood what I've asked and provided a detailed response, specific to my issue.

Cons:

As a sole trader working on various contracts for 7.5 hours per day, I need to be able to track my time and bill my clients based on it. This is the only area where I found Freshbooks to have the edge—it provided a daily timeline where I could click on my start time, enter the duration, client and project and track my time visually. This meant that I could tell at a glance where there were gaps in my day and correct them accordingly. FreeAgent allows me to add Timeslip entries, however it can get confusing quite quickly as there is no start time and no visual timeline. I have to rely on the running total of hours shown per day and try to work out the amount of hours to submit per task. So the interface isn't as intuitive as I would like, but the wealth of other extra features I have access to with FreeAgent does go some way to making up for it. FreeAgent does also work out at around double the monthly subscription price of Freshbooks, which isn't ideal in my circumstances, but I do feel I am getting a better all-round product for the money.

Stephen
Stephen
Senior Associate in UK
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees

Good product, good UI, good customer support, a bit pricey but worth it for my business.

Pros:

FreeAgent is a fully-featured accounting and invoicing web app that comes with a great little mobile app too. It has a really clear and easy-to-use interface, making it easy to navigate and produce invoices, check your accounts for selected periods, track your time, manage projects... the list goes on. But for all the functionality, it never feels cluttered. I've experienced great support whenever I've asked for it and it hasn't ever produced any unexpected errors or bugs. It just works.

Cons:

I wanted to recommend this product to my wife for her business but it's just a little bit too expensive for a startup small sole trader company like hers. A reduced cost account type for single users would be great.

Steph
Sole trader in UK
Sports, Self Employed

Early review

Comments: Better than Quickbooks in terms of reconciling bank account, and bringing the feed in reliably, but this assumption against large numbers of individual customers is a deal breaker.

Pros:

Reconciles some invoice payments that only need approval, an improvement on Quickbooks.

Cons:

Very clunky for adding customers for invoicing. If you have lots of "retail" customers as I do, and send invoices to large numbers of customers, setting them up is a pain, the system seems to assume that you have a small number of commercial customers with multiple contacts at those companies. When making a new invoice you have to go through an alphabetical list of companies, you can't search, and for ease I made that entry an email address. This now means that of course not all people have an email address that is clearly them/their name. Irritating and enough to make me look elsewhere.

Mandie
Mandie
Hospital & Health Care

Perfect Companion for Accounting

Comments: I was introduced to Freeagent by my accountant, Balance Accountants. My business needs are met very easily with Freeagent, I have a small company which is Residential Care and Home Care business. The cloud base system allows my accountant to access my work and I'm able to have meetings with bank managers etc without having to lug lots of paperwork about, everything is at my fingertips. Also im based in the South and my business and accountant are in the North, so logistically it works very well for me. The system I have found very easy to use and if I have ever got stuck, my accountant can sign in and talk me through it. Once you get yourself set up and familiarised, you won't believe how much simpler accounting gets. I use for all bookkeeping and invoicing. I would use it for payroll but hey....my payroll lady would be out of a job! But I reckon she uses it as she's always smiling never stressed.

Pros:

Live bank feeds, easy to use, perfect for invoicing, accounting for small businesses, keeping the accountant and bank manager happy with the efficiency! It does everything (for me and my business needs) apart from making me coffee :-) Always a pleasure using freeagent, it's really fun to use!

Cons:

Ive been using it for nearly two years.... Can't fault it! Not sure if I could add a further business to the platform, for example: using same login details but be able to switch between businesses?? That would be really good.

Oscar
Proprietor in

Exceptionally Poor Customer Support

Comments: I originally found Freeagent around three years ago. I was very excited when I found I could use Freeagent through "My Business Works", a service offered by Barclays, at a reduced rate - except nobody decided to make it clear support is outsourced to "My Business Works" - perhaps the most key feature of freeagent. For around three years I have always been in contact with friendly, kind and lovely staff at Freeagent who have always been happy to provide us with support - I have always avoided "My Business Works Support" as their staff are especially unhelpful, condescending and rude. That was until today. A stubborn, although polite lady refused to give us support despite my explanation of the poor support "My Business Works" offers. Quite simply her unkind, unfriendly action has lost a customer, we are moving to a far more powerful and equally easy to use software called Xilo, with much better support in January. I used to think Freeagent was an actual service whereby one might not be bound to the selfish red-rape rules of the world, and was instead a friendly platform with every customer's interest at heart. I would recommend all to consider Xilo over Freeagent. That is of course unless you want a kick in the teeth for being a long-term loyal customer!

FreeAgent UK online accounting software Response

7 years ago

Hello Oscar, Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. My name is Kevin McCallum and I am Business Development Director at FreeAgent and directly responsible for managing our relationship with MyBusinessWorks. I'm really sorry that you've not had a good experience with MyBusinessWorks support and I wanted to let you know that we take these kind of issues very seriously and I am currently discussing this matter with MyBusinessWorks. As you know from your previous discussions with our support team, we do take all our customer support obligations very seriously and pride ourselves on the support we provide to our customers. It is worth pointing out that MBW provide support on a number of the products you have access to through their package, whereas at FreeAgent we focus solely on our own software. The only way to receive full unlimited support from our support team would be if you were a direct subscriber to FreeAgent. As we’ve said previously, if you wanted to transfer your account over to become a direct subscriber then we would be more than happy to help you do this. If you'd like to do this please email me on [email protected] and I can arrange it for you To reiterate, I'm sorry that you are not happy with the support you have received from MBW but I am now dealing with this personally. Kind regards, Kevin

Stella
Operations Manager in US
Human Resources, 11-50 Employees

As an event planner, it makes me happy to use FreeAgent because of easy access.

Comments: Estimates and proposals
Invoice templates
Simple payroll and automatic back feeds
Tax timelines (you'll never miss a deadline again!)
Self-assessment tax return filing
Unlimited users and transactions
Support accountants are available to answer any questions
First 30 days are free, I was excited about this and I was very happy about this.

Pros:

Cheap depending on your business needs or the size of the business. Famous for its incredible invoice templates Shows your real-time profit position and it automatically updates your accounts. Cloud-based, so there is no software to download or install The interface is very friendly and lovely.

Cons:

Online help, known as My Business Works Support has been known to be rather unhelpful and excessively rude Tends to receive bugs or glitches that often take time to repair, if fixable at all Even though this program offers Multiple Currency options, the proper support for this feature is seriously lacking Not very quick with software updates (some have been waiting years for new and desired features)

Flavio
Flavio
Creative Director in Australia
Design, 2-10 Employees

Great accounting software for freelancers and small teams

Comments: Having researched a number of different options while freelancing, FreeAgent was hands down the best one for a solo practitioner, with enough features to solve all my accounting needs.

Pros:

Perfect for freelancers and small teams, FreeAgent includes all the aspects needed to control accounts, create / send invoices and keep an eye on projects. Highly recommended for any solo practitioners.

Cons:

If you plan to grow and scale your team, it can be a bit limiting, however it is still a great tool for smaller teams and individuals.

3 years ago

Hi Flavio, Thank you so much for sharing your positive review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it! The FreeAgent Team

Simon
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Free for NatWest Business customers, very straightforward accounting software for small business

Comments: All positive - occasionally have to try and work out how to do something, but customer support are very good and responsive if you get really stuck. For someone who would struggle with the accounting side of running a child's piggy bank, FreeAgent is worth its weight in gold!

Pros:

It basically does all the required accounting without having to pay for an accountant to do it for you. The biggest benefit when it comes to tracking business tax and completing a tax return as it pretty much does it all for you.

Cons:

Sometimes it's tricky to work out how something works and you have to go and get help from customer support, but this may be more user incompetence than anything wrong with the software!

Rick
Rick
Copywriter in UK

Make book keeping hassle a thing of the past

Comments: Time saving, professional appearance to clients, cloud-based, quick and easy to learn

Pros:

I hate taxes and book keeping work. Using just common sense, you can immediately do 90% of tasks within FreeAgent, quickly and easily. FreeAgent staff are on standby to help you with the other 10%. It's fantastic.

Cons:

Some of the features are not intuitive, and take a bit of practice to get right. The one time I have had to use a work around is the system does not have a function allowing you to remove partner drawings directly from a foreign currency PayPal account. Hardly a deal-breaker.

5 years ago

Hi Rick, Thank you for sharing your review and for the kind words, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear that FreeAgent meets your needs, and that the team have given their support when needed (we're very proud to have such an awesome support team!) We also appreciate your feedback about some of the challenges you've experienced, I've passed them along to our product team. Thanks again! The FreeAgent Team

Rouska
Design, 2-10 Employees

Essential tool for managing finance

Pros:

* Auto integration with banking API feeds * Intelligent learning for your regular banking transactions * Templates for sending invoices etc * VAT & SA form integration with HMRC

Cons:

* Slightly clunky UI for viewing recent expenses * Inability to remove user's who have left the business

4 years ago

Hi Rouska, Thank you for the positive review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about all of the features that are most valuable to you. We appreciate the additional feedback too and have passed it along to our Product Team. All the best, The FreeAgent Team

Olajumoke
Sales Executive in Nigeria
Utilities, 11-50 Employees

My Accounting friend

Pros:

I use freeagent everyday for my business and it's like the best so far. Helps to generate invoices and estimates for client, it gives an overview of your account in the first page which you can easily see at first glance. I recommend freeagent anyday anytime.

Cons:

Freeagent generates number for each of the invoice or estimates which can be confusing sometimes especially if you have to delete that invoice or estimates but nevertheless it's a stress free software, it does all the work.

4 years ago

Hi Olajumoke! Thank you for being a FreeAgent user and for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate the kind words! The FreeAgent Team