Paychex Flex Reviews

4.1 (1,285) Write a Review!

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Pros:

Representative was exceptionally professional and responsive and the ease of use of product.

Cons:

My only complaint with Paychex Flex is that the retirement component is still transitioning over from Classic and it is taking a long time.

Paychex Flex ratings

4.1
3.9
4.0
4.0

7.5/10

Paychex Flex has an overall rating of 4.1 out 5 stars based on 1,285 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Paychex Flex before?

Filter reviews (1,285)

N Armand François
N Armand François
CEO in Burkina Faso
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees

I'm very satisfied

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Overall correct application and easy to use

Cons:

Nothing special really. Good application, I recommend it

Jessica
manager in US
Pharmaceuticals, 501-1,000 Employees

User Friendly

5.0 last month New

Comments: I love that Paychex Flex is very user friendly.

Pros:

I use Paychex Flex to clock in and out daily, check my time card, request time off and for retreiving an W2. I love that this portal is very user friendly. Nothing is hidden. You can easily find what you are looking for using the tabs on the side. You can also customize your home screen to display what you are needed. As soon as I login in I'm able to clock in and out, view how many hours of PTO I have as well as paystubs.

Cons:

I would improve being able to have more widgets in the home screen so you are able to see your time card and attendance right on your home screen. It would be easier to track.

Samantha
HR Director in US
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees

Does not communicate

3.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Easy to use the payroll portion and enter time in the system

Cons:

No communication. I was clear about wanting to use direct deposit, and they took money out of my account twice - once for direct deposit and once for paper checks which came 2 days after the pay date even was.

Heather
Director of Databases in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Easy to use as an employee

Comments: As a user, Paychex provides an easy-to-use platform for time tracking and paycheck information. I downloaded the app but chose to stick with the website due to the straightforward nature of being able to clock in and out quickly, request PTO, and approve employee time tracking with a few clicks in a web browser.

Pros:

Paychex is easy to use as an employee. Being able to clock in and out is simple - there is a button to click that records the punches. I've also used the timesheet to manually enter time, which is also straightforward. As a supervisor, seeing my direct report's timesheet is handy. To approve, it's a matter of checking a box for approval - I feel like it could not get any simpler as an end user.

Cons:

While easy to use, I'm not too fond of the feature for switching between the employee (self) details and supervisor (direct report) details. A switch role function in the upper corner is not necessarily intuitive. I would love for there to be a way to have it all on the same "home" page rather than having to switch roles. While I personally do not have anything to do with the setup of Paychex, I am going to assume there are some issues from there, as our HR department seemed to have difficulty making updates to the system regularly.

Carmen
Electrical designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Good payroll app

Comments: Easy to use.

Pros:

Everything about payroll, paid time off, vacation time, requesting time off, direct deposit and paycheck stubs are all easy to access.

Cons:

No complaints about Paychex flex, don't have anything else to compare it to.

Adam
Campus Support Team Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve

Comments: Pretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.

Pros:

The customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.

Cons:

It's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.

Manager in US
Machinery, 2-10 Employees

Paychex Flex is accessible

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy to use system, one of our favorite parts is the ability for employees to access their own payroll information by logging in. This allows them to monitor their own hours, pay etc and ends up saving time!

Cons:

Initial integration was a little bit of a task but after that everything moved smoothly!

Rebecca
Rebecca
Assistant manager in US
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees

Quickest way to handle payroll for your company

5.0 last week New

Comments: A great site that I would advise any other employers to consider using.

Pros:

All of the different functions of the app allows you to be able to do everything you need all in one place.

Cons:

All of my usage of this software was great. The ease of use, the functionality and the ability to handle all of our employees payroll and tax needs.

Kayla
Owner in US
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

Paycheck Flex just wasn't a good fit for us

2.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I enjoyed that timesheet management was simplified and easy to access using this product

Cons:

Our employees constantly had problems clocking in and out due to an unresolved issue with our GPS parameters. We chose to discontinue the use of this product because of this issue.

Cody
Controller in US
Entertainment, 51-200 Employees

Streamlined and Simplified Payroll Processing and Ancillary HR Services

Comments: Thus far, the experience has been positive and meets all needs of the company. Tax compliance, W-2s, time keeping, and benefits admin all went smoothly through a full annual cycle. The customer service response times are within a reasonable range, and the mobile app surprisingly is very useful due to the simplicity of the overall platform. Employees can also self-serve make a certain number of changes to things like addresses or banking info without the need for an HR team member to service such requests.

Pros:

The ease of onboarding and implementation (compared to ADP, for example), as well as the streamlined processes that allow for staff who may not be payroll professionals to accurately run payroll & benefits to a high degree of efficiency.

Cons:

The functionality for contractors isn't as great as some other providers I've used in the past (PayReel, for instance). Additionally, the level of sophistication for tax issue or researching problems from state notices, etc. isn't the best I've seen though it is certainly adequate.

Anthony
Project Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Many features, great value, options to expand capabilities

Comments: Paychex Flex seems to do it all: You can access all your HR forms, sick and vacation time, timesheets, if you're a manager you have access to your team, complete HR actions, and much more. The mobile app runs basically the same, although it isn't the most touch-friendly app, it gets the job done. All the features work well, and while the app isn't the most user friendly, it is more than serviceable. There are also features that would be great for our team if we used them, like integration with other HR apps, but that's more an organizational issue. We switched from a different HR app which was completely unusable, and we've been happy ever since.

Pros:

It does everything we need for the organization: payroll, time clocks, tracking, coding time, HR benefits, vacation and sick time, organizational forms, etc. There are also a lot of features that we just don't use as an organization. For instance we use a scheduling app (Homebase) for some of our employees and you can integrate Paychex into Homebase to handle the payroll. We came from another system that was very clunk and difficult to use, so the simplicity of Paychex was a breath of fresh air.

Cons:

The biggest issue I have, and just a disclaimer I might not be the best trained, is that employee management is time consuming. It's not super difficult, but I often have trouble finding employees on my team, checking and modifying their time, etc. Also signing forms is a bit cumbersome because you have to click around the document yourself, something more like Verisign would be very helpful when dealing with forms.

Steven R
Steven R
Director of Business Engagement in US
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Calm in a sea of changing regulations

Comments: We had considered hosting our own payroll, however, with the craziness of COVID and regulations we are very happy we chose a partner provided and supported solution. Saves us time chasing new regulations and forms and the dreaded amendments.

Pros:

The customer service makes the product easy to use. The support makes the product as with many payroll software products it will do what you want you just have to find the right entry and set up.

Cons:

At times its so complete it can be overwhelming to find some less used features you had found before. Again they are all like this but the customer support makes this a breeze as you can actually talk to a human being that listens and helps.

Eric
HR Manager in US
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees

Everything we need and more

Comments: Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros:

I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons:

The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

Kanwal
President in US
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Great product

Comments: Customer service is the only downside. Otherwise, we are happy with the system itself.

Pros:

We used to rely on our accountant in the past. This is a great way to have access to anything at anytime. Another perk is that the employees are able to review their tax documents remotely as well.

Cons:

This is not really related to the software itself, but the customer service continues to be an ongoing problem. God forbid if you receive a notice from EDD or IRS, you'll be chasing behind people to follow up. I wish whatever forms are submitted, we can have access to them from a particular page along with the outcomes.

Terri
Director of Operations in US
Law Practice, 11-50 Employees

Paychex Flex Great for small organizations

Comments: The overall experience has been positive.

Pros:

The time tracking feature is helpful to small companies who use the "honor" system as their time tracker

Cons:

I think the software would benefit by being a little more user friendly

Emmanuel
Senior Grant Accountant in US
Accounting, 51-200 Employees

Good product overall

Comments: It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros:

Recording time is relatively easy. W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable Easy to navigate

Cons:

From a user standpoint, nothing really.

Erin
Manager of Strategic Partnerships in
Philanthropy, 11-50 Employees

Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind

Comments: Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros:

It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions. Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons:

I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately. I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

Accountant in US
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Way better services out there for cheaper prices

Comments: Do not rely on them to let you know by hiring an employee in another state, you are subject to any additional state/local taxes outside of income tax and unemployment tax. We didn't know we were required to have disability insurance & paid family leave insurance for hiring an employee in NY. I guess I can't blame Paychex because technically it's not a tax but because we began payroll in NY, it required us to carry it. I'm more mad about the fact that it is optional to withhold a small portion of the employees wages for disability insurance or the employer can cover the whole cost. Paychex just started withholding the max portion from the employee without ever saying a word to us. So 1.) they knew we were subject to it and didn't bother to say anything and 2.) they started an optional withholding from employee checks without ever having us sign off on it. They will be easy to reach when they need something, but very very slow if you need something. They switched our assigned payroll specialist so many times that I don't even know who it is now to let them know we are switching at the end of the quarter.

Pros:

The only thing I can say I liked is that they pay the tax and file the required quarterly/annual reports.

Cons:

Very confusing just to have a rate for an employee. There's multiple areas in the employee file where you can add "compensation" & "earnings & deductions". Compensation is where you can add their rate (if you don't, it will notify you that you're not paying minimum wage). You figure you need to add at least one category of earnings like hourly or salary in order to pay an employee. So I added their hourly rates to compensation then added Hourly to their Earnings along with their rate again. The Hourly specifically states RATE X HOURS. Yet, by having both of these, you'll end up paying the employees twice. No problem right. Reports take kind of long to download, and not easily customizable.

Sheila
HR Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Best decision we every made

Comments: They have helped me to ease up my role in the payroll process and they have set us up on five recruitment boards to help us find employees and the whole hiring process is so easy and I don't have to be so hands on through the process.

Pros:

The hiring/onboarding piece is amazing. They set us up in less than 3 days and had us doing our first payroll within a week. They sat with us through the whole payroll process from start to finish to make sure we understood it all. The Time and attendance piece is awesome and works so well for our staff

Cons:

There is nothing we don't like about Paychex. It has met our expectations and continues to do so daily.

Peter
Accountant, Tax Preparer, IT consultant in US
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees

Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right

Comments: Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros:

Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons:

One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want? Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

Candace
Google CS First Instructor in US

Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!

Comments: The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros:

Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons:

Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

Devon
Architect in US
Internet, 11-50 Employees

PayChex Flex is not that flexible.

Comments: Intuit should concede with their payroll platform and buy paychex, and paychex should enhance their integration and modernize the platform to something more agile like quickbooks. Employees should be able to onboard easier just as if they were buying something on Amazon. All of the 3rd party vendors that seem to be value added services are just more portals and passwords needing to be centralized.

Pros:

When it works and the overloaded staff can actually assist you, it is an absolutely awesome service. I have used PayChex since about 2015. Back in the day my first representative was the absolute most amazing advisor and gave me confidence when speaking with her because I could tell she knew her job. Over time as we added more states and switched companies, our SUI numbers became switched, bank accounts and invoicing was not aligned.

Cons:

Besides the reports that you are inundated with, the platform feels like it can actually perform, but truthfully it is pitiful java platform. The two factor auth is great but gets on my nerves and the fact that you cannot integrate with other identity providers or into your actual backoffice systems is a shame.

Amy
President in US
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees

Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need.

Pros:

Together with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me. The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks. What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.

Cons:

The browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails. The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear. Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.

Joshua
Controller in US
Construction, 51-200 Employees

BIG DECISION

Comments: Overall, the experience has been neutral. I do have a good payroll account manager. However, Paychex does promote these positions very rapidly. It seems like any time I am assigned a knowledgeable payroll account manager, they are promoted. This leads me to have concerns regarding the consistency of reliable customer support.

Pros:

I like the general ease of use that this software offers. I have had favorable experiences with my current payroll account manager.

Cons:

There are often times glitches that can cause issues with payroll deductions. It is crucial to double and triple check your PRINTED COPY prior to submitting each payroll.

Debbie
HR/Payroll/Office Manager in US
Information Services, 11-50 Employees

Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration

Comments: Survey software is not something that I usually recommend.

Pros:

The best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!

Cons:

There is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".