15 years helping Singaporean businesses

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Pros:

Representative was exceptionally professional and responsive and the ease of use of product.

Cons:

My only complaint with Paychex Flex is that the retirement component is still transitioning over from Classic and it is taking a long time.

Paychex Flex ratings

4.2
3.9
4.1
4.0

7.5/10

Paychex Flex has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 1,558 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Paychex Flex before?

Filter reviews (1,558)

Steven R
Steven R
Director of Business Engagement in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Calm in a sea of changing regulations

Comments: We had considered hosting our own payroll, however, with the craziness of COVID and regulations we are very happy we chose a partner provided and supported solution. Saves us time chasing new regulations and forms and the dreaded amendments.

Pros:

The customer service makes the product easy to use. The support makes the product as with many payroll software products it will do what you want you just have to find the right entry and set up.

Cons:

At times its so complete it can be overwhelming to find some less used features you had found before. Again they are all like this but the customer support makes this a breeze as you can actually talk to a human being that listens and helps.

Lillian
Lillian
Human Resources Generalist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

It is very easy to use and has great support

Comments: Since then, many businesses have approached me about switching, but I still haven't found a good enough reason to abandon Paychex Flex. It's simple to use, produces excellent results, and supports my needs promptly. The direct deposit and web portal make payroll simple. It's easy to learn and adapt to the system. Timely reports can be simply integrated with other bookkeeping software.

Pros:

In 2017, at the advice of our Accountant, we began using Paychex Flex. I was hesitant because I was the one who always handled payroll through our company's accounting program. But Paychex Flex is so straightforward that I can't imagine ever switching from it to some other payroll system.

Cons:

The ability to write notes on an employee's paystub; for instance, a place to mention what the bonus is for when it is given; this would be helpful.

Ed
CEO in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Solid solution at an affordable price

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Paychex Flex has been great to use. It has been good for us.

Pros:

It is easy to use and maintain. Set up was also easy with great support.

Cons:

Some of the more involved things need support...but...it has always provided.

Construction, 2–10 Employees

Fine until there is a problem

1.0 last month New

Comments: Terrible, no one is interested in sorting out the problem.

Pros:

Weekly payroll is easy and I haven't had any problems with this.

Cons:

Paychex failed to send in a second-quarter tax report, I now have $1000's of penalties and interest. It's been over a month since reporting the problem and they still haven't gotten back to me.

Lisa
Office Manager in US
Food Production, 51–200 Employees

Paychex Flex Review

Comments: For the most part positive. Over the years the number one overall best thing about Paychex is their customer service. The platform is easy to use and for the most part user friendly but their customer service is great!

Pros:

For the most part well integrated and easy to use. Customer service is stellar compared to other companies that I deal with. They are also very response to comments on proposed changes in the portal, etc.

Cons:

Pricing! It has increased quite a bit over the past couple of years with an actual decrease in what we get. And paying for hardware is a lot of money!

Amy
Owner in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Poor IT and Customer service

Comments: It used to be good until Hurrican Ian in 2022. Now I'm a disaster and they can't seem to fix it.

Pros:

The sales rep that signed me up is phenominal. [sensitive content hidden].

Cons:

Customer service and IT errors. I have requested to solve my problems for a year without much result.

Kim
Senior Recruitment Consultant in Germany
Staffing & Recruiting, 51–200 Employees

Enjoy a five star experience with this awesome software.

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's ability to look at payroll records dating in more than two previous years made it the best choice for us Everything went well as we expected.

Pros:

Use it to expand your business as it provides the best solution for any arising problem.Our payroll is now made easy and more simplified.Its a very easy to use software which doesn't take a lot of time to implement.Through paychex Flex system everything is under control.

Cons:

Their customer service is a bit slow but we had to cope up with it.

Gloria
Prior Authorization in US
Medical Practice, 51–200 Employees

User Friendly!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy access to W2 User friendly Clocking in and out for shifts or lunches made easy Having quick access to pay stubs Being able to access information through their app is so great

Cons:

I have no complaints in regards to paychex at all!

JILLIAN
OFFICE MANAGER in US
Automotive, 51–200 Employees

BEST DECSION

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: PAYCHEX IS OVERALL AN AMAZING SOFTWARE. ITS CONVIENENT AND AVAILABLE TO VIEW PREVIOUS FILES AND W2 AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR!

Pros:

PAYCHEX HAS BECOME ONE OF THE BEST SOFTWARE SYSTEMS WE HAVE. VERY USER FRIENDLY FOR NOT ONLY MANAGEMENT BUT EMPLOYEES AS WELL.

Cons:

IT WOULD BE BENIFICIAL IF THE PDF WOULD BE AVAILABLE AS SOON AS PAYROLL IS COMPLETED INSTEAD OF THE END OF THE WEEK.

Cameron
Product Analyst in UK
Information Technology & Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

everything in one but could have more customisation

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

good payroll features and its easy to use

Cons:

could do with more customisation possibilities

Adam
Campus Support Team Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve

Comments: Pretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.

Pros:

The customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.

Cons:

It's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.

Cody
Finance Director in US
Biotechnology, 11–50 Employees

Great provider (unless your company is within 3 degrees of separation from cannabis)

Comments: It was great until it wasn't. Again, most of our essential services were terminated with only a 30-day notice, and their proposed solution was a handful of complicated workarounds while maintaining our current price, so we were pushed into fast-paced negotiations with alternative vendors.While we used it, though, it was a nice service, particularly the portal itself. Their interface is speedy and well-designed, and while there isn't much in the way of "customer success training" to help figure out exactly how to use it, it's very intuitive once you spend a few months with it figuring out how all the different pieces fit together.Bottom line, the system itself works very well, but don't lean too hard on the parts that involve human beings doing things & making decisions.

Pros:

For what we paid, everything worked REALLY well. It met our needs & made payroll a simple and consistent process, which left more time to work on more operations-focused processes. Paychex offered multiple tiers of service & an array of useful add-ons which come together to provide a rich suite of functions for organizations of nearly any size.

Cons:

After more than a year of quality service, they kicked us off all our electronic services with only a 30-day notice because we were a "cannabis business", which was not strictly true -- we weren't buying or selling marijuana, but rather a lab performing state-mandated compliance testing. We lost direct deposit, TaxPay, etc., but they wanted to continue charging us the same contract price despite massive loss of service.Customer support was variable quality--we were paying for the tier which included ongoing dedicated support, but our rep changed multiple times over the course of a year, usually without any kind of warning--often we wouldn't find out until we emailed in about something to find they'd been moved to a different department.

Kanwal
President in US
Education Management, 11–50 Employees

Great product

Comments: Customer service is the only downside. Otherwise, we are happy with the system itself.

Pros:

We used to rely on our accountant in the past. This is a great way to have access to anything at anytime. Another perk is that the employees are able to review their tax documents remotely as well.

Cons:

This is not really related to the software itself, but the customer service continues to be an ongoing problem. God forbid if you receive a notice from EDD or IRS, you'll be chasing behind people to follow up. I wish whatever forms are submitted, we can have access to them from a particular page along with the outcomes.

Faith
Customer Service Specialists in Kenya
Farming, 501–1,000 Employees

The customer support team for this software is so cool. Focused to assisting.

Comments: Very wide coverage of benefits. Paychex Flex is a game changer.

Pros:

The customer support team really gave me an overwhelming experience. The assistance they gave at a time I was almost giving up on setting up the software was so satisfying. Ever since they assisted me, Paycheck Flex has been an easy to use software. Extremely helpful in payment management. It provides a great overview of my work and helps in creating a wonderful work environment.

Cons:

Five stars worth of performance. Nothing is challenging with Paychex Flex.

Terri
Director of Operations in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Paychex Flex Great for small organizations

Comments: The overall experience has been positive.

Pros:

The time tracking feature is helpful to small companies who use the "honor" system as their time tracker

Cons:

I think the software would benefit by being a little more user friendly

Julie
HR Manager in US
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

The Worst Payroll Company Out There!

Comments: I have been running payroll and in HR for over 17 years so have used many payroll services and Paychex is the absolute WORST - can't wait to switch. Overpriced and you have to do everything yourself including coding their system. Nothing works right once you do (no notifications, biometric time clocks don't record punches, CA payroll laws like 7th day OT never coded) it's truly a complete joke of a company. "Account Manager" does not actually do anything but tell you to call the 877 customer service number and they are beyond ignorant and unhelpful.

Cons:

Customer service - The worst Assigned Account Manager - Does nothing but tell you to call Cust Service (see above) Helpfulness - None Expensive - YES Knowledgeable - None Compliant - Nope, set up CA payroll laws all wrong Ease of system use - terrible, you need to coded everything yourself Over selling - the best (how about fix your basic customer service and functionality before you continually try and up sell)

Noam
Founder in US
Media Production, 11–50 Employees

Fantastic Experience with Gusto!

Comments: Overall, Gusto has been an excellent choice for our business. We've been able to quickly and easily set up payroll and benefits, and their customer service team has always been incredibly helpful and responsive.

Pros:

Gusto has been an absolute lifesaver for our business. Their user-friendly platform makes payroll and benefits setup a breeze, and the customer service team is always ready to help with any questions or issues.

Cons:

The only downside I've noticed is that it can be a bit slow to calculate taxes, but that might just be due to the complexity of all the laws and regulations.

Kelli
Office manager in US
Utilities, 2–10 Employees

My Paychex Flex Review

Comments: It's been a great experience using Paychex Flex, love how easy it is to use & also the helpful customer service agents.

Pros:

How easily the software/app is to use & how very helpful their customer service agents are, also the price is inexpensive compared to other companies.

Cons:

Their really is nothing that our company does not like about Paychex Flex, we love the ease of all of it.

Teena
Engineer in United Arab Emirates
Business Supplies & Equipment, 201–500 Employees

Powerful and feature-rich payroll and HR management software

Pros:

Paychex Flex is its extensive scope of elements, which incorporates finance handling, time and participation following, benefits organization, and HR consistence. The product likewise offers a versatile application, which empowers representatives to see their compensation stubs, advantages, and time-off demands. Its easy to understand interface, which makes it simple for clients to explore and deal with their finance and HR errands. The product additionally gives broad customization choices, permitting organizations to fit their finance and HR cycles to meet their particular necessities.

Cons:

sometimes programming can be delayed to load, and that the announcing usefulness could be more vigorous.

Erin
Manager of Strategic Partnerships in
Philanthropy, 11–50 Employees

Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind

Comments: Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros:

It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions. Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons:

I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately. I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

Peter
Accountant, Tax Preparer, IT consultant in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right

Comments: Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros:

Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons:

One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want? Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

An HCM system that simplifies difficult tasks

Comments: It has been a good experience overall. The payroll account manager I have is efficient. But Paychex does seek to elevate these positions quickly. Every time I get a payroll account manager who is knowledgeable, they always get promoted, it seems. My concerns about the reliability of customer service are raised as a result of this.

Pros:

The ability to use the phone application makes it incredibly handy to get information and even manage payroll from any location. You may track the non-exempt employees' hours with the addition Stratus time, which integrates with your payroll software. Without a doubt, it is a big relief to be able to be in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws thanks to access to a comprehensive database from a company that has been doing it for decades.

Cons:

Certain benefits, which would be useful if you knew what you wanted, cannot be manually set up. We are presently ironing out some problems with a PTO benefit that WE have. Upon entering the dashboard, Paychex Flex requests a fresh verification code. Depending on the administrative access required to do such an activity, users identified in the Paychex Flex may not be erased. Employees might not be able to update time cards electronically because Paychex Flex might only give administrators their usernames and passwords. The administrator is able to make time card adjustments with Paychex Flex. The administrator is able to make payroll modifications using Paychex Flex.

Joshua
Controller in US
Construction, 51–200 Employees

BIG DECISION

Comments: Overall, the experience has been neutral. I do have a good payroll account manager. However, Paychex does promote these positions very rapidly. It seems like any time I am assigned a knowledgeable payroll account manager, they are promoted. This leads me to have concerns regarding the consistency of reliable customer support.

Pros:

I like the general ease of use that this software offers. I have had favorable experiences with my current payroll account manager.

Cons:

There are often times glitches that can cause issues with payroll deductions. It is crucial to double and triple check your PRINTED COPY prior to submitting each payroll.

Debbie
HR/Payroll/Office Manager in US
Information Services, 11–50 Employees

Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration

Comments: Survey software is not something that I usually recommend.

Pros:

The best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!

Cons:

There is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".

Shenandoah
COO in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Out dated and impersonal

Pros:

This product works fine for day-to-day activities but has failed to meet some basic requirements when anything out of the ordinary is required.

Cons:

Customer service through Paychex has been very challenging for our business, which ultimately led us towards switching payroll service providers. Countless errors were made when switching contractors to employees, when terminating employees, and Paychex failed on many occasions to provide financial information and tax documents to various states we were reporting in. They were also unhelpful in providing documentation to various states and city governments while our company was dealing with past-due notices that Paychex should have been responsible for. Our account manager changed hands a number of times with no notice, often no notification, and without a clear line of communication. Overall, their lines of communication seem outdated for companies operating online and whatever 'personal touches' they may have been known for have been lost to the wayside of a digital communication age where information has the capability to be freely transmitted from one employee to another. I found myself frequently re-sending the same required documentation to multiple parties and asking the same questions time and time again which were either ignored or partially answered. Overall an incredibly disappointing experience for the years we were with them.