About New Relic

New Relic is the only unified data platform that empowers engineers to get all telemetry paired with powerful full-stack analysis tools

Learn more about New Relic

Pros:

It is a well known software so everyone have heard about it and probably use it. And also there are a lot of tutorials from the website or from community.

Cons:

The designers and developers are clearly bad or mediocre.

New Relic ratings

4.2
4.1
4.5
3.9

8.1/10

New Relic has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 163 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used New Relic before?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

New Relic Offers Simple-to-Set-Up Server Monitoring

Comments: New Relic is a great product/service that is extremely powerful and easy to use. They even have iOS/Android apps to stay up-to-date on server stats while away from your desk.

Pros:

I love how easy it was to get the New Relic agent installed on my Digital Ocean server. Within minutes it was piping in data to their dashboard.

Cons:

Making sense of the mountain of data is challenging. It takes time and effort to figure out what all the data means and how it can be useful to your organization. It is well worth the effort though.

Alternatives Considered: Papertrail

Reasons for Switching to New Relic: New Relic is the most robust and powerful solution and it was incredibly easy to get up and running with.

Leon
Managing Director in Netherlands

Great tool for tracking the performance and health of our platform

Comments: I am using the web interface and the app multiple times a day to quickly see how the application is performing. The notifications in case of disruptions are convenient and very helpful.

Pros:

It's clean and simple to setup and gives a great dashboard which helps get a quick overview of the performance of our SaaS application.

Cons:

When using multiple modules on a bigger infrastructure it can get quite expensive. However we only use the basic version which gives us all the info we need.

Alternatives Considered: AppDynamics

Reasons for Switching to New Relic: New relic was cheaper and easier to implement.

Daniel
Daniel
Technical Lead in UK
Insurance, 11-50 Employees

A Great Observability platform

4.0 6 days ago New

Pros:

We set up New Relic as we needed a observability platform that we could use to Troubleshoot infrastructure, view logs and use the synthetics to monitor our website's performance and availability.after going through a POC trial of using the tool we were very happy with the results and decided to do a 2 year deal with New Relic as it will help with our introduction and roll out of microservices.

Cons:

Some of the UI could be improved compared to the competitors to display information. Also the synthetics editors on other sites are slightly better with the ability to record what you want the synthetic to do rather than writing all the code yourself.

Alternatives Considered: Datadog and Dynatrace

Reasons for Switching to New Relic: Other companies we work with also use New Relic and we found the customer service to be very helpful

Dylan
Dylan
Founder, Engineer in US
Internet, 10,000+ Employees

Worse each year

Comments: I've used New Relic for 6+ years across 3 different companies including my own. Overall they seem to be going downhill each year, sadly along with many tech companies now. Seem to be entrenched in their industry, trying to hound customers for more money each year, but simultaneously providing less value and no innovation. Meanwhile, many other companies provide many of their features with higher quality and for free. I've recently switched some things to AWS and other services because they are cheaper and more reliable.

Pros:

Has monitoring specific to the programming languages and database servers that we use

Cons:

Cost is extremely high compared to the value of the service being provided. Many of the features can be found on other platforms for free or cheap. The designers and developers are clearly bad or mediocre. Entire platform is wrought with bugs and decisions about UI and configuration that make no sense and do not actually help the users of the product. They have done multiple revamps of the UI, which I am actually totally fine with in general because I am happy to learn new things, but they simply have not been improvements. Just a reshuffling, often with added work required from me for no benefit, plus features that no longer work. Even lowest tier email support apparently requires paying more than $2000 per year. I was legitimately astounded when I discovered this. I already pay through the nose for this software, and when I tried to file a support request they informed me I had to post in the community. Really??? $2000 per year isn't enough to respond to one measly email support request? I give email support for free for all of my customers, even ones who don't pay, because I legitimately want to make my products as good as possible.

Joseph
Senior Experience specialist in India
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Best tool for APM , browser , mobile , synthetic and infrastructure monitoring

Comments: Amazing experience and great tool for any large enterprise to monitor their applications in one place and identify any anomaly without delay

Pros:

New relic provides good KPIs 1) 4xx , 5xx and response time in application 2) CPU and memory usage in infrastructure 3) Mobile app crash and http error rate4) Browser performance metrics5) synthetic test availability

Cons:

It can improve more on distributed tracing

Switched From: Dynatrace

Full Stack Developer in US

One Stop Server/App/Website/etc Monitoring

Pros:

I love this product! I have always had the free tier and it has so much many features. I don't know how they do so much for the free tier. I use the realtime app monitoring (APM) the most, to see current traffic as well as checking for slow apis and why they are slow. The second most used tool is to monitor my actual server (Host). Then of course I can't forget the essential and anxiety removing notification system that will tell me as soon as whatever I don't want to happen and set up an alert for, happens. This has saved me and my customers a few times already. Thank you for a great product! :)

Cons:

I would love to upgrade to the paid version, but, so far, it is too expensive. I wish there were a starter tier, or even a supporter/love your product tier.

Gaspar
Infrastructure Engineer in Argentina
Media Production, 51-200 Employees

Great server and application monitoring tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: We use NewRelic (integrated through Heroku) to monitor our site

Pros:

The comprehensive set of unique features it has

Cons:

The price, I think is kind of overkill, mostly given that there's a lot of competion out there.

Reasons for Switching to New Relic: Ease of integration with Heroku

Burak
Burak
Software Engineer in Turkey
Retail, 10,000+ Employees

A great monitoring tool

Comments: We are using New Relic in our services to track errors, bugs and to monitor the overall APIs. Thanks to New Relic, we can find issues before its late, optimize our queries, slow endpoints and etc... Usage of New Relic One is really diverse in terms of an application and in my opinion it is essential.

Pros:

Integration with the services is really easy. You can integrate New Relic to your application written in almost any language for monitoring it.

Cons:

The user interface is not that simple and understanding. Thus, full utilization of New Relic One is not that easy for administrators and developers. It has a steep learning curve.

Manjeet
Developer in Germany
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Good product but has potential to be the best in market

Pros:

It is pretty easy to integrate with the cloud regardless of provider

Cons:

Native app analytics could be mich better

Alternatives Considered: Datadog

Brice
Strategic marketing officer in Burkina Faso
Banking, 201-500 Employees

Good software because there are none drop

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Simple, easy to use and with an understandable dashboard and easy to put on the cloud

Cons:

Apart from the price I have no problem with this software

Principal Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Best Application monitoring tool around !!

Pros:

Ease of use is the best feature about this tool, you can get started with very minimal training. Dashboarding perfromance report capability is also good, helps us to keep on top of our applications perfromance. Another feature that we love is the integration with Jira which enabled auto-creating of tickets on violation of certain thresholds. Overall, this is used by developer community on daily basis.

Cons:

The licensing is per node, whcih makes it expensive to turn it on non-prod infra. I hope this changes in future.

Pieter-Jan
Software Architect in Belgium
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees

Peace of mind for your production environment.

Comments: New Relic gives us the ability to monitor both our cloud servers, backend services and frontend applications. It alerts us when resources are scarce or when the application reaches a treshold of errors. As a bonus for paid accounts, you also get the ability to trace down into the code to see if there is a specific bottleneck in your application. It even has the ability to trace the queries to databases or external services.
It's alerting system can be integrated in a variety of other tools like Slack, pagerduty, Geckoboard, ...
By using New Relic, we have regained peace of mind because we know New Relic will alert us before things start to go wrong.
If you are looking for a monitoring / alerting solution, it's definitely worth checking out!

Pros:

Application traces. Transaction level monitoring and alerting. Availability monitoring. Integration in other tools (Geckoboard).

Cons:

None so far.

kalaiselvan
Integration Engineer in US
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees

New Relic Review

Comments: Overall, it is a good monitoring system to identify the bottle necks on the systems effectively.

Pros:

New Relic can be used to monitor system performance effectively in the enterprise systems. It gives better visibility on number of API Hits with Success and Failure Counts. It helps to have the centralized monitoring systems for all the servers, processors and API's. we can set up a prompt alert for the SLA failure on the performance of any API's or Processors. Data visualization on the success and error rate shows the clear picture on the performance.

Cons:

Licensing is too expensive. Some time page hangs up and we need to reload the page. It focus only on the software's. would like to have hardware performance monitoring.

James
CTO in Canada

Allowed us to get more insight into errors that would have been difficult to understand.

Comments: Insight into how the software stack is performing. It also shows us certain errors or slow downs that we'd have no other way of seeing.

Pros:

I like the professional nature of the software and the in-depth inspection of how our software stack works it surfaces. It makes certain classes of issues much easier to see.

Cons:

I used to really not like the cost of the service when accessing them as a startup. I believe they've found a price point that makes sense some of the time. It is still hard to understand the model if you are using it outside of a SaaS provider.

Head of QA in UK

Great software monitoring

Comments: Overall new relic has been a very handy monitoring tool, we have it on all the time to keep an eye on the servers and the alerts are very helpful as well.

Pros:

Once set up new relic is easy to log into from anywhere and monitor your various systems, keeping an eye on load times, errors and server health.

Cons:

The error logging could sometimes be a bit better with a complicated app, but generally the errors are helpful in at least pointing us in the right direction.

Support Manager in US

Great tool - big learning curve

Pros:

New Relic has given our company great insight into the health of our services. We have been able to be more proactive in finding issues and resolving them before our client's notice

Cons:

As a user, it is a bit tough to learn and understand. Extensive complex features make it really tough to learn and understand everything. I pretty much only have an understanding of the graphs i need to know

Software Manager in Argentina
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Very useful for our teams while on-call

Comments: It' s an essential tool for teams on-call that needs to understand alerts in their apps

Pros:

Easy to track issues Great tool to query logs and make custom graphs or get to the raw information. Good integration with opsgenie.

Cons:

The mobile app it´s not as good as the website, sometimes i get a blank screen as results in the error section

QA Automation Lead in India

New Relic review

Comments: excellent

Pros:

Best tool to monitor various application and server performance . They also provide a good support. Monitoring application performance on various parameters are easy and well elaborated

Cons:

Nothing much to say. but it can have a more user friendly interface

CTO & co-founder in Pakistan

Profile your app in production

Pros:

NewRelic makes it very easy to profile your app in production without affecting the app performance. Sometimes, some performance related issues only occur in a specific environment and it is hard to find them in development environment. With NewRelic it is not only possible to detect performance related issues but also pin point the exact location in your code that is responsible for that issue. Their other popular service is NewRelic Servers which make it easy to monitor overall server performance.

Cons:

Too pricey for small teams and startups.

Alejandro
General Manager in Guatemala

Awesome software to monitor servers and app performance.

Pros:

Does not overload my servers and I can monitor resources remotely even when my servers are overloaded for some reason. Helps me tune up my software.

Cons:

Price. I still find it too expensive. I get "bug check" notifications quite often, maybe because i'm on the free version.

shankar
DevOps Engineer in India

awesome monitoring tool for devops engineer

Comments: easy troubleshooting and monitoring

Pros:

granular level monitoring will help you to troubleshoot and identify the issue quickly. various pages for server, process, application level. score can be calculated using a metric called apdex

Cons:

if they provide download logs through rpm portal it wil be very helpful and handy for operations engineer for investigation

Justin
Director, Engineering in US

World Class Monitoring

Comments: New Relic is one of the first products I turn to when instrumenting a new web application - the depth and breadth of insights they provide make tuning and troubleshooting so much easier than anything else I've used.

CTO & Co-Founder in Pakistan

Watch your apps performance in realtime

Pros:

Seamless integration with apps made in different technologies. The graphs show you whats going on with your app and server. You can profile your apps and see what part of code is taking most of the resource and fix it.

Cons:

Ability to report custom variables. There is a lot more happening on infrastructure than new relic reports. If they provide a way to report those variables as well, it would be a perfect infrastructure monitoring app.

Hemanath Goud
DevOps Engineer in India

New Relic One Review

Pros:

The main benefit of New Relic one is the simplicity of the dashboard and we can create the dashboard we ease. New Relic does everything we wanted to do. It also sends automatic alerts based on alert conditions and policies we create based on our requirements. We can ask difficult questions if we don't have a solution using the discuss.newrelic.com website which is provided by the New Relic website and get the solution.

Cons:

The Price varies based on multiple factors and cannot predict our costs. The development process can be improved. Sometimes New Relic Query returns the wrong output but we need to run the query to return the correct output.

Quality Assurance Engineer in Portugal
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees

Live tool for troubleshooting and alerting

Pros:

New Relic provides a robust system monitoring platform with an easy to integrate API and good alerting tools. It is our go-to tool to monitor server usage and error tracking in production servers.

Cons:

The UI could be improved as some of the features are difficult to set up and the information is not always easily interpreted.