15 years helping Singaporean businesses

Patriot Payroll Reviews

4.8 (3,386) Write a Review!

About Patriot Payroll

Basic Payroll: $17/mo + $4 per employee or contractor. Full Service Payroll with tax filing: $37/mo + $4 per employee or contractor.

Learn more about Patriot Payroll

Pros:

The automation is useful - integration into QuickBooks. Calculations of payroll, automatic handling of tax filing and tax payments are a joy.

Cons:

I was very upset Patriot neglected to file correctly, causing me to incur penalties and interest, and then they had the audacity to blame me for the error.

Patriot Payroll ratings

4.7
4.8
4.7
4.8

9.3/10

Patriot Payroll has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 3,386 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Patriot Payroll before?

Filter reviews (3,386)

Kingfer
Kingfer
Engineer in US
Consumer Electronics, 2–10 Employees

Vice President

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy to use and integrate most of the daily payroll functions..

Cons:

No Health insurance add-on compare to Gusto payroll.

Cheryl
Full Charge Bookkeeper in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11–50 Employees

Payroll with Ease

5.0 last month New

Comments: I can complete payroll in a short time using it. It processes taxes accurately. I can get help quickly with the chat feature. I can find answers to my questions, for example, how to set up a wage garnishment, by using the search feature.

Pros:

I can do the payroll anywhere I have a computer. I like the fact we can print the checks. I appreciate there is a team that can keep up-to-date with tax laws and all returns are submitted electronically.

Cons:

When I made an error in setting up PTO, I couldn't edit it. I had to create a new rule completely and make the one in error, inactive.

Betty
Manager in US
Utilities, 2–10 Employees

Using Patriot Software

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: We are just completing our 3rd month, but so far it has been mostly seamless and have only needed a little help from an accountant to set it up correctly. It is getting easier each month.

Pros:

Patriot Software cost less than our previous payroll company and for the most part is much easier to use.

Cons:

At first it was a little hard to get set up, maybe only because I did the onboarding myself instead of utilizing the option for them to do it. Also, it is a little frustrating to have to submit payroll 5 days ahead of time, but this is partially our choice of how we run our payroll cycles.

Melissa
Accounting and HR Manager in US

Big fan of Patriot Payroll

Comments: This is the first web-based program I have used and I have been very happy with it. It's easy to navigate and easy to find any reporting I may need.

Pros:

Having a website-based payroll system makes it easy to access. I can keep track of paid time off, deductions, garnishments and all the reporting. I appreciate being able to see past reporting and filings as well. It's live time so I can see employees logging in and out of the timeclock. Working with technical support as always been a positive experience, I can get answers right away.

Cons:

The con about using this system is that it is not correctly registering our overnight crews clock ins and outs. Because they clock in the next day their hours must be manually corrected. I was told this is being worked on in order to get corrected in the future.

Simple Payroll software

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Love it, Highly recommend to any small business owner who wants to keep track of his or her own payroll, Once setup anyone could run the payroll service if needed

Pros:

Quick and Easy to learn and set up. For someone who does not like to give up control this software lets me keep control of payroll with no worries

Cons:

Setting up Vacation time has been a little tricky Sometimes i vary this policy a bit and hard to keep the service and actual time off correct.

Anna
Psychotherapist in US
Mental Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Extremely satisfying

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Our business is very satisfied with this service. We left Quicken/Intuit for them and have never been sorry

Pros:

Patriot’s customer service is outstanding, which is so important because we are therapists, not accountants. Any time we have a question or need support, we talk to someone friendly and efficient

Cons:

I don’t really have any complaints. Learning a new system and navigating the website takes some time, and maybe it isn’t as intuitive as Quickbooks was, but it’s really not that hard.

Karen
Treasurer in US
Management Consulting, Self Employed

Great for Small Business

5.0 last month New

Comments: The absolute best customer service for any online application is with Patriot Software. The representatives answer even the most basic questions with patience and respect. As a small business, we cannot afford, nor do we need a big payroll company to process one paycheck a month. Patriot gives us this option and it is affordable.

Pros:

I especially like that I can easily input my payroll info and I don't have to be concerned about filing any of the tax reports.

Cons:

There is nothing I don't like about Patriot Payroll!

owen
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Easy to use, great payroll software

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Super easy to use, and had all the functions that I needed. The price is great, about half of ADP.

Cons:

The required funds to be deposited time period is a little too long, for Friday's payday, if you process the payroll on Monday, then you need to deposit money on Monday. In comparison my ADP account I can deposit money by Thursday to make Friday's payday.

Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Best payroll program by far

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It has been great. Probably one of the best decisions that I have made from a cost saving perspective for this company.

Pros:

Easiest and least expensive to use. It takes me a couple of minutes to run our payroll.

Cons:

The ability to pull payroll tax information in a format that I need for other reporting requirements.

Attorney in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Good Program

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Prior use of Quick Books. This program is easier, less expensive and much more user friendly.

Cons:

Do not know of any cons to the use of Patriot Payroll.

Kristen

Patriot Software

Comments: Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros:

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons:

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Taylor
Account Analyst in US
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Overall please with our switch from Quickbooks to Patriot

Comments: Overall we have had a great experience with patriot, we had quite a few issues with the transition over (mainly due to the fact we made the switch in the 4th Qtr of 2019 so there was a ton of data to be entered). Because of the amount of data and timing we have had several issues with our tax filing from 2019- but what I love the most about patriot is that they are the most accessible help line that I have ever came across in the business world, you rarely wait on hold for longer than 10 minutes and it has never taken them longer than a few hours to respond to emails- making problem resolutions very quick.

Pros:

I love how organized it keeps all of our data and the ability to send our hourly time clocks straight to the payroll.

Cons:

I wish that you could hide inactive employees from the reports drop downs, and wish that you could create groups within the reports so that you dont have to hunt and peck for certain employees when running reports. I also wish that there was a way for the managers to view hourly time clocks without needing access to the main admin account.

Karen
CEO in US
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 2–10 Employees

Patriot is an amazing platform for small businesses

Comments: I have been a customer for over 4 years. I left for a brief time thinking I could find something better but after only 5 months, I came back to Patriot. There short falls do not add up to their amazing customer service!

Pros:

You can't beat the price point for the technology. it's a solid platform for a small business. They are constantly developing new features that enhance the experience. Their customer service is the best in the business, by far! I don't know how they do it but they hire the nicest most helpful people out there.

Cons:

Their reports are somewhat limited and the ability to capture history for changes is non-existent.

Vickey

Awesome Payroll Software

Comments: As I have stated before, their support is awesome and the "chat" feature has a live person on the other end=) Those live people know the software as well and are usually always able to resolve any issue I have in minutes. Set up is a little difficult ...IF you don't know payroll, so I would strongly recommend hiring someone that knows your type of industry (I work with churches and ministers and payroll is an area that I see a lot of mistakes)...to set up the software for you. But after you get it set up, it is pretty easy to use. I highly recommend this software.

Pros:

Their support! After leaving Intuit Payroll for Patriot, their "knowledgable" and available help was a refreshing change!

Cons:

There is not an "auto" payroll for my clients that have the same payroll each time. With that added feature, Patriot Payroll would just about be perfect in my opinion.

Mary
Secretary/Accounting in US
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Patriot Payroll Review

Comments: Really like it! The customer service team is AMAZING! I've never had any issue that couldn't be solved quickly and efficiently

Pros:

The product is very easy to use, especially without having too much experience with payroll processing. Adding all our historical records for the year was very easy, it easily creates journal entries that can be imported directly into Quickbooks!

Cons:

There really isn't any con. The ONLY thing that is frustrating at times - it has nothing to do with the service itself, however, when I process payroll before getting approval from my boss (oops!) i've had to void the full payroll only to process it a day or two later (cash flow) - the taxes are deducted from our account 2x, then refunded after 1-2 days. This is our fault when this happens, but if I had to list a con I guess that would be it :)

Neal
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Bang for your buck!

Comments: I had tried ADP and PAYCHEX before switching to Patriot. As a sole proprietor running a small business, I was not prepared to handle payroll taxes. ADP was so expensive, i felt. Paychex had me depend on a person to take my info and process it. That person was off one day when my payroll needed completed and i missed payroll! That didn't go over well. For the last few years we have used and fallen in love with the simplicity of Patriot. I input the numbers and it gives me a PDF to print onto my checks instantly. It's all I ever wanted.

Pros:

1.) Its simple to use. 2.) Its cheap. 3.) Full featured but lets me print my own checks instantly.

Cons:

I thought at first that Patriot was going to send out the Tax documents to my employees. But that wasnt the case. That was a bummer as i wasnt at first prepared. But it makes since that we should send them to know we meet our deadlines and have proof they were sent.

Patriot Software Response

5 years ago

Neal, you've made our day! Thank you for spreading the word about Patriot!

Noreen
Operations Manager in US
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Customer Service and Features / Restrictions

Comments: Payroll rules and tax reporting / payments are simplified in one place.

Pros:

This software was very easy to use, and as my business grows I am finding the necessary features needed are available to me. Whenever I have called customer service, I usually have gotten a person that is knowledgeable and is able to help me. There have been times that the person called has not been able to help me, and was able to escalate my issue to someone that could.

Cons:

Changes to setting sometimes allow changes that are incomplete. In 2019, I added the accounting software to Patriot Payroll. I updated settings in "Payroll Integration Options" but missed some. I was able to save the partial data and run a payroll. When reviewing the accounting journal entry that was generated from the first payroll with the accounting software, I saw the JE generated was incomplete. If I had not checked to verify this JE was correct, this would have been difficult to track down later. This is a big miss, and there should be some warning or stop to prevent this (incomplete data) from happening.

Craig
Principal Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Basic Payroll for Small Business

Comments: For small business, it's a great value. We are Full Service Payroll customers so I can't speak on partial service. I understand there is some manual effort on your part if you take the partial service option. My CPA was amazed that Patriot does Full Service payroll for what they charge. Like the Accounting Software, it's pretty basic compared to Quickbooks but if you only have a a few employees it's not a big deal. I also like that if you have a payroll question on "Why is this happening" they can answer it. Sometimes the answer goes beyond the functionality of the software and that's ok that their team will do that. Customer Service is excellent. Highly recommend Patriot.

Pros:

The full service payroll is totally "hands off". They do everything, including filing reports. For the price it's a bargain. I can run Payroll in less than 5 minutes. The Wizard works well. If you make a mistake, delete the run and start over. Software is highly Available, as it is in AWS as I understand. Have never had an unplanned outage. If you are looking at the Payroll, consider the Accounting package also as the integration is totally seamless.

Cons:

The reports can be confusing, but that's not an issue with the software, it's because I'm not an accountant. YTD reporting could be a little better.

Daphne
office manager in US
Construction, Self Employed

The ease of Patriot Payroll

Comments: The staff is wonderful to work with. Tha software is like Payroll for dummies. Ease and very affordable.

Pros:

Patriot has a very simple approach for the layman. If you don't understand they guide you and with patience and ease to get the job done. I highly recommend the payroll software.

Cons:

I've only used Patriot for just over a month. So far so good.

Snehee
CEO in India
Food & Beverages, 2–10 Employees

Great Product at competitive prices

Comments: Love it. Been using it for over 2 years.

Pros:

The UI - it is super easy and user friendly. The FAQ - it is one of the best FAQs and super accurate. Always resolved my problems. The cost - Super competitive and cost effective

Cons:

I wish they would not charge extra for using the payroll for competitors.

Danielle
Executive Director in US
Education Management, 2–10 Employees

The best decision!

Comments: Purchasing access to the Patriot Software program was one of my best decisions. In fact, I wish I had started sooner because it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I appreciate knowing when I call for tech support I will be able to speak with a person in a timely manner, and that person will be patient with me. I cannot imagine growing my business without Patriot Software.

Pros:

I am both a scientist and an educator, not a business person by training. Patriot Software was recommended to me by my accountant. I primarily use the payroll features for my small business. It is so easy to use for both myself and employees. I appreciate the fact there is an employee portal. All of the features from running payrolls, to creating W2s is so user-friendly. And when I haven't been sure how to accomplish something the phone in teach support has been amazing. Aside from the product being a wonderful time saver for me to use, it also at a price point that is incredibly reasonable.

Cons:

This is one of the rare items I have ever used where I have nothing constructive that should be changed. I have been thrilled with all aspects of the Patriot System.

Richard
CEO in US
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Outstanding Product

Comments: Customer service can sometimes seem limited and that is knowledgeable as you would like. But overall customer service just stand out for the willingness to try to meet the demand.

Pros:

The software is exceptional in value As integration of employees and tax documents. Patriot software it’s a user-friendly and intuitive product that is easily and asset for any company organization.

Cons:

Customer service can sometimes seem limited and that is knowledgeable as you would like. But overall customer service does stand out for the willingness to try to meet the demand

Andy
Practice Administrator in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Great for Small Business

Pros:

Overall Patriot Payroll systems have been very user friendly for our small medical practice. Timecard features are easy to use for employees and payroll administration. Adding payroll features such as insurance deductions, 401(k) contributions and payroll advancement deductions are easy to implement and are immediately updated in the system. Patriot makes it easy to find payroll tax filings and keeping track of accrued time-off benefits for employees. I would highly recommend this software for small businesses looking for an easy-to-maintain payroll solution.

Cons:

Some of the payroll tax integrations could be improved on a state-by-state basis. It's not as intuitive if an employee wants to make certain tax deductions (withholding more than just standard deductions). Also, if you have employees who often work at multiple sites, there's no easy way to select the location where the work is performed other than updating the employees profile and changing it on a daily basis when submitting your payroll. Also, it would be nice to have time-off accrual rules built in to the employee profile as opposed to going into the separate module for time-off rules, but this is a very minor issue.

Ted
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Great software and tremendous support

Comments: I love Patriot Software. The tech support is unmatched. I ALWAYS get issues resolved in one call. The software is easy to use, and the monthly billing price makes a huge difference for customers with weekly payroll. I have one client that is saving hundreds of dollars per month.

Pros:

My clients love the fact that they can process payroll in Patriot (especially using direct deposit) and be done with it. Patriot handles direct deposit, federal, state and local tax payments and filings, generating W-2's, generating 1099's for contract workers, etc. It makes it all very simple.

Cons:

There are really only three things I would like to see changed: 1. If you start a payroll and want to change ANYTHING for ANY employee, you have to abandon all that you have done, change the employee information, and start over. I have clients with 40+ employees and this is something that they dread. I can understand the challenges of allowing the underlying data to be changed, but if it could require just re-entering the employee whose information was changed, that would be huge. 2. If I am helping a client and I want to see what they are seeing, I cannot do it in Patriot. I would love to see a read-only mode for consultants so that we could see what our client is seeing. We do this by screen sharing now, but that is an additional hassle. 3. I would love to see an option to group the data that is downloaded to QB Online, but still shows detail. For example: list every gross payroll item, consolidate employer taxes into one entry, consolidate direct deposit withdrawals into one entry, consolidate employer and employee payroll taxes paid into one entry. I do this as a favor for some of my clients, but it would be great if it were done automatically.

Tammi
Owner/Bookkeeper in US
Accounting, Self Employed

Patriot Payroll Above and Beyond!

Comments: Patriots customer service is great. Anytime I have had an issue they have responded promptly with a fix or at least information regarding the issue.

Pros:

Patriot is very user friendly and cost effective. Payroll is very easy to run and reports are easy to find and put together.

Cons:

There are a few items that could use some help: 1st - Payroll Draws could have a section on the payroll run versus backing out and having to go in under the employee first. 2nd - Having the option to pay out a bonus without zeroing out a salary and adding in hours. System requires a 0 salary but 1 hour to pay out a bonus. 3rd - The option to pay out a bonus with only social security and medicare. Almost all payroll companies offer this....what we have to do is change the W4 and then go back and add it back in...that can cause an error that could easily be fixed. Lastly - No timecard system for Monthly payroll processing. There is a weekly, semiweekly and bi monthly but no option for Monthly. There are still some out there that use this option to pay their employees and not offering a timecard system is a loss to patriot.