Table of Contents
What is personal trainer software?
Personal trainer software assists fitness and health trainers with scheduling and tracking training/workout sessions for their clients. These systems help trainers automate communication, collect payments, renew memberships, and collaborate with customers in a personalized way. With the right personal trainer software at your side, trainers can provide customized training programs, diet plans, and workout schedules for individual clients, and deliver workout videos to individual clients or upload them to the internet for a wider audience.
The benefits of personal trainer software
- Improve client retention: Miscommunication and missed appointments can cause client turnover, which can, in turn, damage a trainer's reputation. Personal trainer software can help by facilitating and automating client communication, allowing fast booking for training sessions, and tracking clients' entire workout and fitness regimen.
- Centralized client information and improved communication: In this era of digitalization, manually maintaining client contact information, performance history, and tracking communication channels is less than ideal. Personal trainer software can solve this problem by tracking this information for trainers, linking workout histories and preferences to a client profile, and streamline client communication by keeping consistent, digital records in a single location.
Typical features of personal trainer software
- Client profiles: Create personalized client profiles that track individual fitness goals, performance, trainer details, and workout/session history.
- Appointment scheduling: Book appointments for training/workout sessions via a calendar.
- Attendance tracking: Track attendance for individual sessions, group classes, and events.
- Payment processing: Accept, record, and reconcile financial transactions. Handle invoices and manage billing of recurring memberships.
- Fitness assessments: Track and record fitness assessments. Gauge fitness levels by comparing current measurements with prior ones. Send reminders to customers who are yet to be assessed.
- Exercise library: Create a centralized database of workout videos, diet plans, and training materials that can be shared with clients.
Considerations when purchasing personal trainer software
- Scalability: While purchasing personal trainer software, consider the number of customers each trainer will want to have access to the software. As your business grows, you'll want software that can grow along with an increased client base and any additional trainers you add to your staff.
- Availability of features: With the plethora of available personal trainer software on the market, it's important to build a shortlist of solutions that offer the features your business and trainers need. Whether it's client scheduling, a calendar overview, activity dashboards, an exercise library, nutrition programs, training templates, or some combination of these and other features, be sure to identify the needs a system must meet before making a software purchase.
- Mobile compatibility and payment options: As mobile technology use continues to skyrocket in every field, it's important to assess the compatibility of personal trainer software with smartphones and other devices. Your customers are spending most of their time on mobile devices, so it's important to meet them on their platforms of choice, whether via mobile app functionality or a mobile-optimized website. By doing so, you'll increase customer satisfaction and brand value.
Relevant personal trainer software trends
- Wearable technology is tracking customer data: As wearable tech has become more ubiquitous, the fitness industry has seen a significant uptick in usage of devices like fitness trackers, smartwatches, pedometers, and more. These trackers gather health and fitness information, which trainers can use to design a personalized regimen for their clients. As wearables become even more advanced in the coming years, expect this trend to continue growing and become a staple of the fitness industry.
- Mobile applications are helping trainers stay in touch with their clients outside of the gym: In this digital age, everyone is using mobile phones. Trainers can leverage this fact to keep communication with their clients going outside their fitness center/appointments, and increase their visibility in their clients' lives. Mobile apps such as GAIN Trainer, Coach's Eye and PTminder , to name a few, can be used by personal trainers to help grow their business.